Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

X7 Phenom chopping balls in chamber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kangan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X7 Phenom chopping balls in chamber
    Posted: 29 December 2015 at 12:06pm
I bought an used X7 Phenom and tried it out in my garage, it chopps paint over and over again!
I have localized the problem to be when the ball is in the chamber, there is too much space between ball and paddles in the cyclo.
So probably the ball gets pushed in to the edge of the breach( wich i also can se cause of the black paint is gone) and it gets chopped.

It does shoot alright if i tilt the gun to the left so the ball can rest away from the breach, tried to bend the arms on my paddles to make them go longer in to the chamber but it does only help a bit, also the paddles will hit the walls in the cyclo too much.

is there something missing in my x7 that will keep the ball from falling back to the cyclo? or may it be the paint that is to brittle? 

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2015 at 11:50pm
If you're shooting in the garage, I doubt it's a paint issue since it'd likely keep temperatures in a decent range vs outdoors this time of year. Could be a bad ratchet (the old style would wear out unfortunately) or the paddles could be bad. New ones can be had for cheap from just about any supplier. Tippmannparts.com is a go-to for most people on this site. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure that the cyclone is fit snugly against the right side of the marker and isn't loose or pushed out in some fashion.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
kangan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kangan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2015 at 4:24am
Thanks for the reply! 
My garage is however uninsulated and temperature is around  0 C now here in Sweden
But iīve kept paint and gun inside before trying and also my tippmann 98 and bt trracer shoots the same balls flawlessly. You might be right about paddles and ratchet is bad,beacause the cyclo is a bit aggressive and sometimes brakes the balls, but thatīs a later problem, balls getting chopped even if i load one ball at a time carefully by hand into the chamber! maybe the gun canīt handle my paint after all!
thinking of buying a feedneck from force products, it would probably help keeping the ball in the chamber in right place.
kangan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kangan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2015 at 10:43am
Update: Got some new paintballs and tried it out again, no chopps this time so the problem was brittle paint. Case closed.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by kangan kangan wrote:

Update: Got some new paintballs and tried it out again, no chopps this time so the problem was brittle paint. Case closed.

Yeah, 0*C would give you problems for sure! Glad it's just the paint.

Make sure to check out the cyclone upgrades threads in the "upgrades and customization" forum here, there are some good tips and tricks on how to make it easier on the paint when it's NOT freezing outside.

Glad it all worked out!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2015 at 11:32pm
It would never hurt to get a set of Squishy Paddles (http://www.techtpaintball.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3256) from TechT.  I'll even go a step further and recommend all the TechT cyclone upgrades.

kangan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kangan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2015 at 3:05am
Yeah iīll have to try with my paddles for a while first, my lower paddle is softer light green and upper is military green (medium?) did not have any problems with cyclone last test thankfully, seems like x7 phenom is more paint sensitive than my 98 and trracer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic