What'd you do today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 9:50am
I forgot to mention that last Friday was my last day at work, I officially retired from the ratrace/oilpatch; my wife and I are headed to Comox on Vancouver Island soon as our house sells here.  Feels weird; onto the next stage of our lives!
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 11:36pm
If it were me I would have left the kid at home because I would have been driving recklessly.  I'm sure a 3-year old on a 5 hour road trip is a pretty good sleep inhibitor though.  

I made it to Whitehorse tonight.  Took Johnny's suggestion and stopped at Liard Hotsprings.  Outstanding stop.  I didn't stay long, but I smelled like eggs when I left.  Unfortunately that wasn't enough to repel the mosquitos when camping that night at Watson Lake in the Yukon.  Also, I'm pretty sure there was a hornet nest or beehive at my campsite.  I noticed a few hornets flying around, but it wasn't until I laid down for the night that I noticed the constant buzzing sound.  Honestly, I would rather have a bear at my site than hornets.  
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 1:57am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

You truly deserve that world's best dad coffee cup.

She let me sleep for 12 hours. We're square.
?

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 1:04am
You truly deserve that world's best dad coffee cup.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 8:49pm
I worked a 12 hour shift, then went home, picked up my 3 year old son, and made a 2.5 hour drive to NYC. When we got there, we dropped off a box, turned around, and drove 2.5 hours back. I was nearly 30 hours between bedtimes, and when the coffee, 5 hour energy drinks, and AMP wore off, I crashed and spent 12 hours in a coma-like sleep.

Why did I do this? My wife runs an etsy shop where she sells handmade toys and the like. A woman who is an event coordinator for a pretty swank company contacted her and asked for 10 pieces of product to be overnighted to NYC. Trouble was, they asked this at 3PM, and anything you're shipping has to be out by 5. My wife had 4 of the product in stock already, and tried like hell to make the deadline, but it wasn't going to happen. Rather than miss out on tapping into a pretty big client AND an order worth a few hundred bucks, we gambled and asked the woman if we could hand deliver it by noon the next day. They agreed, and I took a long, long drive.

?

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

^^ I'm in Edmonton JERKFACE!  Anyways, you have a beautiful drive ahead of you, Gas is expensive north of Dawson Creek, fill up in Fort St. John, and again in Fort Nelson because you will pay close to double at some places north of Fort Nelson.  Make a point of stopping at Muncho Lake - they have great cabins for rent -  and for sure stop at Liard Hot Springs just north of that.  I'm jelly, I love it up there.

I filled up between Ft St John and Nelson.  The price per liter wasn't listed at the pump.  Right now my credit card statement says $157 USD for 34 liters.  I'm hoping that the bulk of that is pre-authorization.  We will see though.  I bought a 5L gas can here that I'm going to fill up before leaving Ft. Nelson as a last resort.  Oh well.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 10:21pm
Spent the day at my first sales presentation with the CEO of the company, my district manager, one of our sales guys, the VP of marketing, and one of our head dietitians. I was just there to take care of the food and look pretty. Sales pitch was to a school we've been trying to get into for 20 years, but the head honcho is a bit of a pitbull and seems to keep making the same mistakes with their dining services companies over and over. 10 years and 4 different companies later, they're finally coming to us. Frankly, I'm not sure we want this one. Whoever winds up becoming the director there is eff'ed on the employee end of things. School employs all the cooks. Not a single one of them (not even the newest dishwasher) is making less than $16/hr with full benefits 401k, etc. After all the OT for functions, they probably make more than the managers do. Sucks for whoever will be there as there's little to no recourse for counseling and/or terminating problem employees since they're employed by the school and not our company. It's like dealing with a union, but worse because there are no common expectations or rules. If it were up to me, I'd walk away from the table, but it's a big name school around here, so we'll likely stick to it.

Otherwise my wife brought the plague home with her from the damned rugrats in her building at work. Massive sinus infection just in time for me to have to work a 12 hour day Saturday and then turn right around and deal with driving a bunch of kids to the Appalachia Service Project regional HQ in southern WV. I hope it's a quick virus, otherwise it's gonna suck.

<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 7:48pm
^^ I'm in Edmonton JERKFACE!  Anyways, you have a beautiful drive ahead of you, Gas is expensive north of Dawson Creek, fill up in Fort St. John, and again in Fort Nelson because you will pay close to double at some places north of Fort Nelson.  Make a point of stopping at Muncho Lake - they have great cabins for rent -  and for sure stop at Liard Hot Springs just north of that.  I'm jelly, I love it up there.

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 08 June 2016 at 7:57pm
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 11:19pm
Spent last night in Calgary at "4 Diamond Award" hotel that didn't even have free WiFi.  Drove to Edmonton today and staying at a much less fancy hotel with free WiFi.  Driving to Dawson Creek tomorrow.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 10:19pm
Saturday: "Fixed" my broken power steering by removing it. Installed a bidet. Comedy show.
Sunday: Broke my car again driving in the canyons, goes to the shop wednesday...
Today: found this gif from 2007 in a folder on one of my old hard drives
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Primary Arms runs 20% off specials on those fairly often.  

Thank you for that!
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 8:33pm
Primary Arms runs 20% off specials on those fairly often.  
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 11:38am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

80% lower? I'm so sorry you live where you live that requires that. Speaking of...

Got some trigger time on my Sig MCX. They were right, the stock trigger is pretty horrendous. Have been looking at upgrading to a Geissele SD-C

Those are made on my company's EDM's and Waterjets.  
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 9:23am
80% lower? I'm so sorry you live where you live that requires that. Speaking of...

Got some trigger time on my Sig MCX. They were right, the stock trigger is pretty horrendous. Have been looking at upgrading to a Geissele SD-C

Edited by impulse418 - 06 June 2016 at 9:24am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 8:55am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

It's funny...  the first few times I shot, the double action shot was the most dead center shot I had.  Now that I'm getting "better" that's the one that starts to drift.  I tried the whole focus on the front post thing, but I can't seem to see the target at all then.  I just need to get out more and shoot more rounds.

I'm eyeing up a glock 26 now and I'm not sure if I want to sell the 92fs to get it or not.  

Yup. That's pretty typical that that your DA shot is the flyer. Once you get the SA shots in group, you'll want to go back and work on that DA control again. After all, it's the most important one in a defensive situation. I've gotten to the point with my PA-63 that the DA is center, but slightly high. Which I'm okay with as it puts it right in the collar bone area when aiming center mass. After that, everything else is right where it should be.

I've done a couple of dump-and-run drills with it too (as in, dump the mag and high tail it out of there) when the range will allow it. I'm less accurate, but still all center mass, so I've got that going for me.....

As for what I've been up to:

• Kitchen and powder room floors are finished (we used a laminated vinyl tile product) and everything is done with the exception of finishing painting (PITA)
  • I have an antique Hoosier cabinet about half-way stripped, then it started raining.... and raining.... and raining. Luckily I should have it finished up this week so I can paint it. Gonna be our new china & liquor cabinet.
  • Students are done at school. I don't feed anyone from here on out, so I'm in the office today to get paperwork wrapped up and take care of an interview for a new Assistant Food Service Director that I need to hire.
  • After spending the recent week with my son, I can say that the ladies who did the screening and got us all worried are full of crap. That kid is perfectly normal. He DOES have a speech delay, but cognition, etc. are fine.
  • Going on a service trip next week to WV to help repair homes with Appalachia Service Project. Looking forward to it despite the forecast of thunderstorms and heat.
  • Trying to find a decent price on AR 80% lowers. Anyone seen any recently?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 9:34pm
It's funny...  the first few times I shot, the double action shot was the most dead center shot I had.  Now that I'm getting "better" that's the one that starts to drift.  I tried the whole focus on the front post thing, but I can't seem to see the target at all then.  I just need to get out more and shoot more rounds.

I'm eyeing up a glock 26 now and I'm not sure if I want to sell the 92fs to get it or not.  

Edited by procarbinefreak - 05 June 2016 at 9:36pm
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 7:57pm
For the first shot, don't look at anything but the front sight post.  bring the gun up to your face so the hammer is on your cheek and you are looking at the front site and have it on your target.  Then, in a smooth motion, push the pistol forward away from your face, keeping focus on the front site only and the front site on your target.  Simultaneously, squeeze the trigger smoothly so that it breaks and fires at the same time that your arms reach full extension.  This is called "railing" (tee hee).  You can get the gist of it from this dude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsoX26OhDCY  
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 10:22am
I'm getting a lot more comfortable shooting handguns.  Friday was the first time at the range that I was actually confident in the shots I was taking.  Still have to work on the first double action shot out of my beretta... which is the one shot to the left.  Now to start saving for something that I can conceal better than a full size 9mm.

Edited by procarbinefreak - 05 June 2016 at 10:31am
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 9:44am
Yesterday I went golfing for the first time ever. 18 holes on a difficult course is not fun.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 12:23am
Today I stopped at the Crazy Horse memorial, the Little Bighorn battlefield, and am spending the entire night in the Butte, MT.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic