Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What'd you do today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:41pm
Walk down a big flight of stairs with your head to the side.  

Today I went out and got some more things for my road trip; oil, anti-freeze, spare fuzes, tire plugs, fix a flat, shop towels, and a compass.  I also switched from Sprint to Verizon and got an iPhone 6s.  Glad to be done with the Samsung.  I haven't told Sprint that I left yet.  I'm just waiting for the right time to tell her.  
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 10:42pm
Going through stuff my dad brought home from grandma's house.  Found a Schebler DLX 124 carburetor, which my research says came from a 1940 Indian 4 cylinder.  I've been trying to find an example of one for sale to determine the value, but no luck.  Similar models have been in the $1,200 range though.  
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 9:52am

Edit 25m, 15-22 bulk HVHP. Was her first time with real bullets
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 9:05am
Southpaw huh? How'd she do with the brass ejecting across her nose?

Had a hell of a weekend this week. Friday we had some occupational and speech therapists come by to evaluate our son. He's got a speech delay and a couple of other minor delays in his development. Luckily, MD is one of the best states in the whole of the US for that. He gets free therapy to help out with that stuff. Well, I say "free" but in reality, I probably pay higher taxes than most people on this forum (NJ excluded) and that's where the services come from.

That said, parenting is a frikken horror show when your kid isn't progressing along the standardized chart. You get everything from "well, he may have a hearing disorder" to "you might want to get him screened for the autism spectrum." Mind you, two days later, the kid is saying some simple two word sentences which mean he's progressing much more quickly with speech now, and he's having a mini language explosion with new words coming every day. I understand that it's the job of the screening folks to look for potential problems, but honestly, I just want to tell them to go "eff" themselves for making me second guess everything my son has been doing the past week. Takes the joy right out of parenthood.

Because of that, my memorial day weekend, which is usually good and relaxing was nothing but a huge ball of stress for me. I'm hoping to hit the skeet and trap range this Saturday to blow off some steam.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Southpaw huh? How'd she do with the brass ejecting across her nose?

Had a hell of a weekend this week. Friday we had some occupational and speech therapists come by to evaluate our son. He's got a speech delay and a couple of other minor delays in his development. Luckily, MD is one of the best states in the whole of the US for that. He gets free therapy to help out with that stuff. Well, I say "free" but in reality, I probably pay higher taxes than most people on this forum (NJ excluded) and that's where the services come from.

That said, parenting is a frikken horror show when your kid isn't progressing along the standardized chart. You get everything from "well, he may have a hearing disorder" to "you might want to get him screened for the autism spectrum." Mind you, two days later, the kid is saying some simple two word sentences which mean he's progressing much more quickly with speech now, and he's having a mini language explosion with new words coming every day. I understand that it's the job of the screening folks to look for potential problems, but honestly, I just want to tell them to go "eff" themselves for making me second guess everything my son has been doing the past week. Takes the joy right out of parenthood.

Because of that, my memorial day weekend, which is usually good and relaxing was nothing but a huge ball of stress for me. I'm hoping to hit the skeet and trap range this Saturday to blow off some steam.

Our oldest also had a speech delay and we did what's called "Early Intervention" in NYS- the same program you're probably enrolled in. With the right therapist, it can make a WORLD of difference. We had one that he responded well to before we moved from Schenectady, then when we moved we were assigned another woman who used 'facial prompting' which was basically touching his face and moving it around for him. He, and my wife and I, rejected that quick. The last woman was a godsend, and he turned a corner almost every time she showed up for a session.

We too went through the "well, he might be on the spectrum" - don't let schools or anyone talk you into anything until the intervention or speech therapy runs its course. Schools are more than willing to classify kids at the drop of a hat in order to bolster their numbers and rake in the money. I hate to say it like that, but there are places which have made classification into a business.

Good luck...although be forewarned. When they have a speech delay, they make up for lost time. He never shuts up now.
?

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 1:01am
She was ok with it. I was a little worried about OOBD which isnwhy she shoulda had her glasses on but took them off betwwen strings and I'm sorry to say I didn't notice.

I also went for speech therapy and a form of occupational therapy and while I may have some odd mannerism and Rainman style recollection of the most bizzare minutiae I turned out ok.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 12:53pm
I'm probably going to go to the swimming pool in a little bit. 
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 8:38pm
I had today off and I did nothing.  I showered at 3:30 so I'd be clean when the wife came home from work.  I have tomorrow off and I have a few things to do.  Gotta get more rocks for a backyard project, grocery shop, meal plan for the week.  I'm probably going to try to hit up a range and put some rounds through my pistol too.  Should be a good Friday.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 10:13pm
Yesterday I drove to Omaha and saw The Book of Mormon which was outstanding.  Today I drove through the Badlands in South Dakota and stopped at Mount Rushmore.  
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 12:00am
I officially have a mortgage now. Most I've ever been in debt.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 12:23am
Today I stopped at the Crazy Horse memorial, the Little Bighorn battlefield, and am spending the entire night in the Butte, MT.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 9:44am
Yesterday I went golfing for the first time ever. 18 holes on a difficult course is not fun.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 10:22am
I'm getting a lot more comfortable shooting handguns.  Friday was the first time at the range that I was actually confident in the shots I was taking.  Still have to work on the first double action shot out of my beretta... which is the one shot to the left.  Now to start saving for something that I can conceal better than a full size 9mm.

Edited by procarbinefreak - 05 June 2016 at 10:31am
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 7:57pm
For the first shot, don't look at anything but the front sight post.  bring the gun up to your face so the hammer is on your cheek and you are looking at the front site and have it on your target.  Then, in a smooth motion, push the pistol forward away from your face, keeping focus on the front site only and the front site on your target.  Simultaneously, squeeze the trigger smoothly so that it breaks and fires at the same time that your arms reach full extension.  This is called "railing" (tee hee).  You can get the gist of it from this dude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsoX26OhDCY  
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 9:34pm
It's funny...  the first few times I shot, the double action shot was the most dead center shot I had.  Now that I'm getting "better" that's the one that starts to drift.  I tried the whole focus on the front post thing, but I can't seem to see the target at all then.  I just need to get out more and shoot more rounds.

I'm eyeing up a glock 26 now and I'm not sure if I want to sell the 92fs to get it or not.  

Edited by procarbinefreak - 05 June 2016 at 9:36pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 8:55am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

It's funny...  the first few times I shot, the double action shot was the most dead center shot I had.  Now that I'm getting "better" that's the one that starts to drift.  I tried the whole focus on the front post thing, but I can't seem to see the target at all then.  I just need to get out more and shoot more rounds.

I'm eyeing up a glock 26 now and I'm not sure if I want to sell the 92fs to get it or not.  

Yup. That's pretty typical that that your DA shot is the flyer. Once you get the SA shots in group, you'll want to go back and work on that DA control again. After all, it's the most important one in a defensive situation. I've gotten to the point with my PA-63 that the DA is center, but slightly high. Which I'm okay with as it puts it right in the collar bone area when aiming center mass. After that, everything else is right where it should be.

I've done a couple of dump-and-run drills with it too (as in, dump the mag and high tail it out of there) when the range will allow it. I'm less accurate, but still all center mass, so I've got that going for me.....

As for what I've been up to:

• Kitchen and powder room floors are finished (we used a laminated vinyl tile product) and everything is done with the exception of finishing painting (PITA)
  • I have an antique Hoosier cabinet about half-way stripped, then it started raining.... and raining.... and raining. Luckily I should have it finished up this week so I can paint it. Gonna be our new china & liquor cabinet.
  • Students are done at school. I don't feed anyone from here on out, so I'm in the office today to get paperwork wrapped up and take care of an interview for a new Assistant Food Service Director that I need to hire.
  • After spending the recent week with my son, I can say that the ladies who did the screening and got us all worried are full of crap. That kid is perfectly normal. He DOES have a speech delay, but cognition, etc. are fine.
  • Going on a service trip next week to WV to help repair homes with Appalachia Service Project. Looking forward to it despite the forecast of thunderstorms and heat.
  • Trying to find a decent price on AR 80% lowers. Anyone seen any recently?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 9:23am
80% lower? I'm so sorry you live where you live that requires that. Speaking of...

Got some trigger time on my Sig MCX. They were right, the stock trigger is pretty horrendous. Have been looking at upgrading to a Geissele SD-C

Edited by impulse418 - 06 June 2016 at 9:24am
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 11:38am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

80% lower? I'm so sorry you live where you live that requires that. Speaking of...

Got some trigger time on my Sig MCX. They were right, the stock trigger is pretty horrendous. Have been looking at upgrading to a Geissele SD-C

Those are made on my company's EDM's and Waterjets.  
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 8:33pm
Primary Arms runs 20% off specials on those fairly often.  
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Primary Arms runs 20% off specials on those fairly often.  

Thank you for that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic