Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What'd you do today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 10:19pm
Saturday: "Fixed" my broken power steering by removing it. Installed a bidet. Comedy show.
Sunday: Broke my car again driving in the canyons, goes to the shop wednesday...
Today: found this gif from 2007 in a folder on one of my old hard drives
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 11:19pm
Spent last night in Calgary at "4 Diamond Award" hotel that didn't even have free WiFi.  Drove to Edmonton today and staying at a much less fancy hotel with free WiFi.  Driving to Dawson Creek tomorrow.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 7:48pm
^^ I'm in Edmonton JERKFACE!  Anyways, you have a beautiful drive ahead of you, Gas is expensive north of Dawson Creek, fill up in Fort St. John, and again in Fort Nelson because you will pay close to double at some places north of Fort Nelson.  Make a point of stopping at Muncho Lake - they have great cabins for rent -  and for sure stop at Liard Hot Springs just north of that.  I'm jelly, I love it up there.

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 08 June 2016 at 7:57pm
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 10:21pm
Spent the day at my first sales presentation with the CEO of the company, my district manager, one of our sales guys, the VP of marketing, and one of our head dietitians. I was just there to take care of the food and look pretty. Sales pitch was to a school we've been trying to get into for 20 years, but the head honcho is a bit of a pitbull and seems to keep making the same mistakes with their dining services companies over and over. 10 years and 4 different companies later, they're finally coming to us. Frankly, I'm not sure we want this one. Whoever winds up becoming the director there is eff'ed on the employee end of things. School employs all the cooks. Not a single one of them (not even the newest dishwasher) is making less than $16/hr with full benefits 401k, etc. After all the OT for functions, they probably make more than the managers do. Sucks for whoever will be there as there's little to no recourse for counseling and/or terminating problem employees since they're employed by the school and not our company. It's like dealing with a union, but worse because there are no common expectations or rules. If it were up to me, I'd walk away from the table, but it's a big name school around here, so we'll likely stick to it.

Otherwise my wife brought the plague home with her from the damned rugrats in her building at work. Massive sinus infection just in time for me to have to work a 12 hour day Saturday and then turn right around and deal with driving a bunch of kids to the Appalachia Service Project regional HQ in southern WV. I hope it's a quick virus, otherwise it's gonna suck.

<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

^^ I'm in Edmonton JERKFACE!  Anyways, you have a beautiful drive ahead of you, Gas is expensive north of Dawson Creek, fill up in Fort St. John, and again in Fort Nelson because you will pay close to double at some places north of Fort Nelson.  Make a point of stopping at Muncho Lake - they have great cabins for rent -  and for sure stop at Liard Hot Springs just north of that.  I'm jelly, I love it up there.

I filled up between Ft St John and Nelson.  The price per liter wasn't listed at the pump.  Right now my credit card statement says $157 USD for 34 liters.  I'm hoping that the bulk of that is pre-authorization.  We will see though.  I bought a 5L gas can here that I'm going to fill up before leaving Ft. Nelson as a last resort.  Oh well.  
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 8:49pm
I worked a 12 hour shift, then went home, picked up my 3 year old son, and made a 2.5 hour drive to NYC. When we got there, we dropped off a box, turned around, and drove 2.5 hours back. I was nearly 30 hours between bedtimes, and when the coffee, 5 hour energy drinks, and AMP wore off, I crashed and spent 12 hours in a coma-like sleep.

Why did I do this? My wife runs an etsy shop where she sells handmade toys and the like. A woman who is an event coordinator for a pretty swank company contacted her and asked for 10 pieces of product to be overnighted to NYC. Trouble was, they asked this at 3PM, and anything you're shipping has to be out by 5. My wife had 4 of the product in stock already, and tried like hell to make the deadline, but it wasn't going to happen. Rather than miss out on tapping into a pretty big client AND an order worth a few hundred bucks, we gambled and asked the woman if we could hand deliver it by noon the next day. They agreed, and I took a long, long drive.

?

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 1:04am
You truly deserve that world's best dad coffee cup.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 1:57am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

You truly deserve that world's best dad coffee cup.

She let me sleep for 12 hours. We're square.
?

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 11:36pm
If it were me I would have left the kid at home because I would have been driving recklessly.  I'm sure a 3-year old on a 5 hour road trip is a pretty good sleep inhibitor though.  

I made it to Whitehorse tonight.  Took Johnny's suggestion and stopped at Liard Hotsprings.  Outstanding stop.  I didn't stay long, but I smelled like eggs when I left.  Unfortunately that wasn't enough to repel the mosquitos when camping that night at Watson Lake in the Yukon.  Also, I'm pretty sure there was a hornet nest or beehive at my campsite.  I noticed a few hornets flying around, but it wasn't until I laid down for the night that I noticed the constant buzzing sound.  Honestly, I would rather have a bear at my site than hornets.  
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 9:50am
I forgot to mention that last Friday was my last day at work, I officially retired from the ratrace/oilpatch; my wife and I are headed to Comox on Vancouver Island soon as our house sells here.  Feels weird; onto the next stage of our lives!
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2016 at 11:22pm
I took a picture

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2016 at 12:03am
Me too

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2016 at 9:18pm
I'm piecing together a road trip from Milwaukee down to Dallas to visit some of the wife's family in October, and tossing around the idea of picking up an AR, which if I want to do now will probably mean selling my handgun.  

Edited by procarbinefreak - 13 June 2016 at 9:18pm
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 5:47pm
I found out a former coworker and his boyfriend were killed in the massacre in Orlando. 
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 6:34pm
Holy crap that's awful Whale. We had a few locals killed as well who I've probably bumped into around the area. 

I went to work today and not much else. I went hiking in the Whites over the weekend and managed to injure myself and enjoyed 10 hours of limping over very rough terrain after. I took a sick day yesterday. Here I am proud that I managed to not to gain weight over the winter as my body now seems to want to do and pulled a hip flexor on one side and jammed my knee on the other, just in time to go back to a summer of leading hikes. I suppose this should be good motivation to keep a decent fitness routine and not neglect flexibility exercise this summer. I also bought a new set of hiking boots since the ones I wore don't provide stability to my scrawny ankles or have a decent heel cup. I have the worst blister of my life and it's the easy painful issue I developed on the whole hike. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 10:23am
Came home early from work yesterday, wasn't sure if my town was going to be evacuated. Being born in Phoenix, this whole natural disaster thing is completely foreign to me Tongue

Finally installed the Geisselle trigger on my Sig MCX. And I also found out yesterday the Orlando shooter used the same weapon system. That was kind of awkward... Usually I'm up to date on what those mass murderers use, but at this point it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it technically wasn't an AR-15.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Finally installed the Geisselle trigger on my Sig MCX. And I also found out yesterday the Orlando shooter used the same weapon system. That was kind of awkward... Usually I'm up to date on what those mass murderers use, but at this point it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it technically wasn't an AR-15.

But did that realization give you "temporary" PTSD? Because apparently they kick like a howitzer and sound like bombs going off if you're an uninformed reporter for a NY rag. Of course, I'd expect nothing less from the NY Daily News....

As for me, I spent the last week down in rural West Virginia with Appalachia Service Project repairing the homes of those most in need. We were assigned a simple sub-floor inspection and install, but what we got was a can of worms.

The house is from the 1920s or 30's and was built (due to the inexpensive nature of the method) using "post and beam" construction techniques. Of course, over the years, things have been added on here and there (you know, like electricity and running water) so it's tough to get a read on what you're dealing with until you open it up. At some point in the 60s, someone sheet-rocked the walls and by the 80s had installed vinyl siding over the original exterior. We didn't know all of this before hand. We took up the carpet in the laundry room where we were to do the job. One layer of shag (not tacked) over one layer of berber (not tacked) on top of 1/4" low density foam for a "pad" which was randomly stapled to the sub-floor. Except, the sub-floor wasn't really the sub-floor. It was 3/4" quarter-sawn white oak tongue-and-groove hardwood..... and it was destroyed by termites sometime in the past. That made me nervous from the get go. Demoed the affected areas to get a look at the joists underneath. More damage. What's more, the band-joist on one side of the room was at a 25* angle (meaning the wall was coming down) half of the foundation was gone (like, not farking there)and the other exterior wall was so termite damaged at the floor level that it would move 4" outward with the slightest push.

We now had to pour a footer and install a support pier for the double rim joist where the foundation was missing. We then had to "kick" the roof to prevent it from coming down on us while we removed the bad band joist piece by piece and replaced it with new pressure treated lumber. But! When we removed the old band joist, we had to saw through the exterior wall to get to it. Turns out that the exterior walls are just 1/2"x6" planks nailed to the box rafters at top and the box joists at the bottom (band and rim). There was then a thin piece of brown paper, and then the original interior walls which were 1/2" bead board. That's right. 1" thick walls with ZERO insulation. What's more, cutting the exterior planks meant that the wall that WAS stable was now no longer tied into the structure of the house. That meant we had to figure out some way to get it all tied back in. We then had to go in and replace the two bad joists with new ones, but all the "good" or reparable joists were all mill-sawn lumber, so they were completely out of dimension, even with each other, so crown-matching them was a real PITA. We finally got everything in and hung properly, laid the OSB for the sub floor, and put nailers around the bottom of the walls to tie them back into the structure with 2-1/2" screws. We then had to frame new interior walls in front of the nailers so that insulation could be added, and to give the structure more rigidity and support. Finally got everything framed and up by Friday with insulation in on most of it. So much for a simple floor job!

At least they won't fall through the floor when doing laundry anymore. They'll also have a warmer and dryer house thanks to us. Next crew to come in will do drywall and finish the floors most likely. Bastards don't know how lucky they are we got to that stuff before them.....

Might go back in late July to help with the "button up" weekend where they finish out unfinished projects. ASP is a pretty cool group. If you get a chance to join in on one of their projects, I highly recommend it.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 12:18pm
I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 sport 2 on Friday.  Waited 30 minutes at Cabelas waiting to be helped by one of the gun counter guys and just while I was there I was the 6th person buying that AR.  Can't wait to get out to the range with it.  
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 12:17am
Tallen, sounds like a pretty cool project.  

I've been giving Sports Authority all of my money during their going out of business sale.   I picked up a new set of ski goggles, some base layers, a couple pairs of ski pants, a new pair of ski boots, a set of irons and a driver.  Oh yeah, and they have all guns and ammo at 20% off so I picked up 3 new ones.  Got a Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM, a Taurus Model 65 in .357, and went back today for a Benelli Nova 12ga.  
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2016 at 1:01am

I bought one of these..... Scope not included Tongue

Edited by impulse418 - 26 June 2016 at 1:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic