Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What'd you do today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2016 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I have to get down to PG county to visit a friend of mine who's a firefighter down there

Firefighter in PG? What is he, a masochist? PG is soooo laughably underfunded compared to the surrounding counties that you kind of have to have some sort of self-loathing to work as a first responder there.

That said, apparently PG has a great shooting center. Trap, skeet, 5 stand, and sporting clays right next to Goddard Spaceflight Center.

Give me a heads up when you come down. This way again. It'd be fun to finally meet face to face. If you want to head south to visit Antietam or the Monocacy, we could meet you there, or we could drive to G'burg as well. Restaurant selection is better in Frederick and Hagerstown. Or we could even meet half-way in Westminster. Cool college town with some killer restaurants and pubs.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 9:46am
I would love to visit your neck of the woods one day. Mostly Gettysburg and the Smithsonian museums.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 1:07am
Flew back to LA from a conference in Wisconsin, nice place.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 2:16am
I had my local gun shop order me a Smith and Wesson M&P9 Pro Series 5. I want to get into run-n-gun shooting. After a load of research, I feel 9mm in production division will be the way to go. I'm excited for it. Next I'll be looking into belts/mag pouches/holsters. Then reloading equip.

And this will all still probably be cheaper than a "tourney level" paintball setup...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 9:43am
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Flew back to LA from a conference in Wisconsin, nice place.

Meh... it's alright here.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 9:12pm
Went to my first adventure motorcycle group ride thingy. Ended up breaking a rib. Bye bye HSA account.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 7:34am
Acquired my motorcycle license thru the MSF.
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2016 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Funny, I went and got my motorcycle learner's permit yesterday. I'm signed up to do a course that runs Thurs-Sun.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2016 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Hairball!!! Hairball!!! wrote:

Funny, I went and got my motorcycle learner's permit yesterday. I'm signed up to do a course that runs Thurs-Sun.

It's fun. Very non judgmental and excellent if you have never sat on a motorcycle before. The class time was somewhat pointless. My state offers it free so I'm going to sign up for BRC2 and maybe ARC if I ever get a bike

Edit: my GF tagged along because she wanted to. She was nervous about being the only girl and it was 60% female

Edited by SSOK - 19 July 2016 at 8:49pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:18am

Edit: my GF tagged along because she wanted to. She was nervous about being the only girl and it was 60% female

Sounds like the hunter safety course I went to a few years ago to get my hunting license. 60% women looking to either start hunting, or use the course as the prerequisite class time for their handgun purchasing permit. Never saw more pink camo in one place in my entire life.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 12:21am

Originally posted by Hairball!!! Hairball!!! wrote:

It's fun. Very non judgmental and excellent if you have never sat on a motorcycle before. The class time was somewhat pointless. My state offers it free so I'm going to sign up for BRC2 and maybe ARC if I ever get a bike

Mine is through the Harley dealer. Since it seems longer than a normal BRC course I figured it'd have some extra learning, but the first day was mostly eaten up by touring the dealer, then we barely got through the most basic stuff like controls and gear. Feels like they're trying to get you to buy stuff from them, but since I paid $0 for the course I'm not complaining. Found out that dealer has a dyno, which is interesting.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 10:46am
Dang, I wish my MSF class was free but it was still worth every penny.

What kind of bikes are you guys getting?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 12:39pm
Finished all the major work on the Hoosier hutch I've been refinishing over the past several months. Just have to wait on some hardware to come in and move the pieces for final assembly (attaching to the top to the bottom).
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Dang, I wish my MSF class was free but it was still worth every penny.

What kind of bikes are you guys getting?

Mine was free. I had a newish Suzuki TU250 which I liked. GF got stuck with a beat up Kawasaki 250 cruiser that had been dropped many times.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 1:40am
We had new Street 500's, not bad. Also had a few bigger bikes kicking around to test on since my state has some stupid tiered licensing with motor sizes.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 9:45pm
Finished up my sporting clays summer leage tonight.  Shot 2 43/50s.   Those put my average for the league just over 40.  Pretty happy about that.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 12:58am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

Finished up my sporting clays summer leage tonight.  Shot 2 43/50s.   Those put my average for the league just over 40.  Pretty happy about that.  

Nice!

I'm hoping to join an informal wobble-trap league this fall. Get ready for some pheasant hunts before the cold weather sets in. Have a bid in on a new-in-box CZ Ringneck 12ga SxS. Auction ends tomorrow. I really, really, really hope I win this one. It's a 800-dollar gun. My max is something like 330. After that, it's just not worth it for me. Here's hoping it doesn't spike too much at the last minute.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 6:34am
Excellent.  My buddy has a CZ o/u.  I think it's the redhead.  Shoots really nice, although it slaps him in the face a bit.  I'm really excited for the winter 5 stand league again this year.  I think last year they said they had almost 500 people in that league.  I will shoot a 50 soon... and I also want to shoot a perfect round of skeet.  I should be able to.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 8:51am
Yeah, I'm hoping I get it. SxS should be a bit less aggressive on the cheek slapping due to the barrel config, but we'll see should it come into my possession. There was a Redhead on the listing too, but it was .410, and going for waaaaay more than the various Ringnecks that were listed. Besides, I like being the only guy with a SxS at the range. Everyone else is either shooting auto loaders, 870s, for O/Us. I love walking out there with my old 1920's double hammer-gun and shooting a perfect round of trap or wobble.

I suck at skeet though. Part of it is probably that I'm shooting right barrel full, left barrel modified for the fixed bore chokes in that side-by-side. Yet another reason I'm looking at that Ringneck. Auction ends at 8PM tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:37pm
Awww snap! Bought another gun today. Didn't get the Ringneck. Hit $400 towards the end once you factored in the buyer's premium. Add shipping and FFL transfer on top of it and it was going to be $500. Still a steal for what was originally a $1200-$1400 gun when it was brought out, but too rich for my blood. So instead, I stumbled across a Montgomery Wards Western Field 600A ERI which is a gussied up Remington 878 with nice checkering in premium wood for the stock and forearm, and some decent engraving for a store brand arm. She's in nice shape. Most of these were modified choke, so it should work for pheasant, chuckar, and trap/skeet as well when I'm not rocking the SxS hammer gun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic