Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2016 election.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2016 at 9:35am
So... None at all, then?
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2016 at 10:47am
It doesn't matter if my candidate wins or not, I cannot vote for a candidate I don't believe in.

Hopefully after 4 more years of the same terrible foreign policy, stripping of Americans liberties, there will be enough people who will think the same.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2016 at 3:04pm
People do not want another 1992 Perot moment, and each feel a vote for Johnson/Weld would be just that, a no win candidate taking votes from their candidate.

I look at it this way, this vote is essentially picking up dog crap with just your fingers 'by the clean end'.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2016 at 4:49pm
You still don't comprehend why we are voting for Johnson.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2016 at 8:00pm
I know why you are, but falling on your sword to make your point does not lead to victory in the face of two far superior political machines.

The same reason people voted for Perot in 92 is the same reason you are voting for Johnson. And in 92 Perot drew off enough voters to ensure the Clinton win, see where I am going with this.

You fight the battle you can win, in 2020 have a better presentation and a longer public outing. Here at UNL most of the students have no idea who Johnson is, let alone know he is running. Almost NO representation. Most UNL types know only of Hillary, Donald, and Bernie, and are totally PO's about the Bernie events.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2016 at 1:47pm
I repeat, I will not vote for someone I don't believe in.

You are assuming I believe Hillary will be worse than Trump. They are both authoritarian in their own ways, both of them will affect me just the same. Their foreign policy will most likely be the same, it seems Trump is more pro Russian while Hillary is more pro Saudi Arabia. In the end, both will rake the American public over the coals while grabbing for more control.

The students at UNL might not know who Johnson is, I highly doubt it in this of age, but I can't assume that they do.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2016 at 2:07pm
Nebraska, rural is almost pure Republican, Lincoln and Omaha are Democrat. Both colleges were in deep for Bernie, the youth and anti-establishment vote as is common. Step daughter is at UNL, and I visit campus regularly, and also take classes there as well. In the student hall there are your usual young Republicans, Democrats and still 'Bernie' camps. I asked around if anyone knew of the Independent candidate and a lot of blank stares. Politics in Nebraska is a conditioned response almost.

Like all elections the young are almost all anti-establishment, why you are pro Johnson, where the older majority still sticks to the established parties. The perceptions run rampant as the media directs the election targeting their desired 'market', saying exactly what that market want to hear.

Having seen this game since Nixon sometimes it is comical when a third party spoiler enters and is just that an insurance policy for the favored of the state voters.

Convictions are great, but the battle is far greater anymore, it is how we expect our lives to be affected for the next 4 to 8 years. I can not stand either Hillary or Trump, both are turds and no clean end to pick up, but the standard lessor of the evils presented must be thought of. MY vote is "The Enemy of my Enemy, is my friend." so anti Hillary and only chance unfortunately is Trump, as in Nebraska Johnson/Weld is essentially a non starter and no chance. So I fight my battle to ensure what I see as the lessor of the evils presented winning, and will hurt my wallet far less. Fixed income people who are not 'dependent' trend Republican, nature of the beast.

What your vote is essentially doing is ensuring the prominent candidate based on your states leanings the popular and electoral college vote for either one of the candidates you do not like. So you are willing to fall on your sword, rather than plan for the required setup for the independent candidate in 2020 where the mistakes made in 2016 will be learned and not repeated.

Edited by oldsoldier - 20 August 2016 at 2:08pm
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 11:10am
Both of them will affect you the same??? 

I think not....

Not even close, Hillary has massive tax hikes to pay for her bloated spending that will increase as she steals more of our money to give to her friends foreign countries under her payolla through the Clinton foundation... The same foundation that 96% of her "tax donations" that were being bragged about went to... Since when does giving yourself money become "charity"? 

Hillary is for the following tax increases. 

Soda tax (cuz you're fat and liberals are better at spending your money than you are). 

Payroll tax hike (this will affect low and middle class the most, taking more money out of your pocket and putting it in politicians pockets. Because they are so frugal...)

Small business tax hike (because they don't donate enough to liberalism, so they will be taxed out of business). 

25% National gun tax (obvious liberal target)

Carbon Tax (fuel, tax on middle class and lower classes)

Estate Tax increases (taking family money and giving it to washington to waste)

"fairness" tax increase...

Stock tax increase (do you have a 401k? Then this will affect you). 

http://www.atr.org/full-list-hillary-s-planned-tax-hikes

Trump has said he will lower taxes. 

So clearly there will be a big difference for each of us in this election. 

And I didn't even talk about the massive failure of Obamacare, which did exactly what I predicted. How are you guys enjoying your $1,500 a month crappy insurance that doesn't cover much...?

They tremble at my name...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 2:01pm
Most of the folks here are still in the receiver part of all these wonderful liberal programs. Once they 'graduate' into the paying part for other's 'free' stuff they might understand. Fun culture, the more you succeed, the more the government feels they can take, as long as those in government don't lose theirs.

Oh and Hillary is against 'fences' but her estate as well as the DNC convention were and are surrounded by fences to keep undesirables out, and people with guns, another Liberal bugaboo, protect them. The double standard thing....again.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 5:12pm
Haha i don't receive jack. But i sure do love hearing my elderly customers cry about the ACA while siphoning from Medicare and Social Security. The more I more hear it, the more death panels sound reasonable.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 9:23pm
ACA is totally dysfunctional for the people that actually have to pay for it, if you are subsidized guess it's great. Medicare and Social Security are 'paid for' programs as well. Even though I do not use it or need it, my Social Security Check is taxed for Medicare, and I paid for my Social Security as well. Nothing for me has been 'free', I earned it one way or another, and was not 'entitled' to it like this generation feels they are.

Is a nut shell Hillary is going to change my families income to tax ratio for the worse, more of fruits of my labor to pay for someone else's, far less motivated. I pay 63% of my income to ALL combined taxes, don't get refunds, or credits, actually paying taxes. Hillary's new tax plan will raise that percentage, because to the privledged political class I don't pay enough to keep them in privledge. Why does Congress getr a raise and I barely or never due based on the cost of living complaints the political 'elite' see as a problem they have. Or those dependent on my money for their income.

End of today's rant. Again I vote for who damages my wallet the least...you'll learn.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2016 at 1:34am
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2013/feb/01/medicare-and-social-security-what-you-paid-what-yo/
Overall people receive more than they put into Social Security.

You won't hear me defending ACA. As a single, healthy adult. I am part of the group that helps pay for this subsidization.

By the way, when Trump says "Make America Great Again", at which point in our history is he attempting to return us to?

Edited by impulse418 - 23 August 2016 at 2:09am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2016 at 4:52am
I kinda like the America of my youth in the 60's and 70's. Still industrial and plenty of jobs, Dad worked and Mom did not have to, could if she wanted though. Immigrants wanted to still be American's, not today's hyphenated whoever's from wherever living here in recreated enclave wherever's, and demanding we change our society and culture to them rather than they assimulate as ours generations prior. Our great industrial cities hammering out fair priced hard goods, now a wasteland of abandoned factories and crime (Detroit for example).

I don't know, for those of you born 95 and later you really have no clue on who and what we American's were prior to 92. Our father's made the world safe from Nazi's and Imperial Japan, came home and made America what is was from 45-88, we ourselves stood on the line between Communism and Freedom, and today this administration won't even address the fact that radical ideologies are at declared war on us.

I have no regrets growing up and living life as I did. CXonsidered it a 'Great' era, I adapted to the changes, had to, but long for the days of a simpler times, everyone not wandering in their 'cubicle' of silence, cell phone glued to their ear, and whatever they do 'wrong' is the fault of someone else, and life is not fair, and everyone gets a trophy for just being there.

Oh, and I understand how what I put into Social Security has already been paid out to me, now 3 taxpayers support 1 Social Security individual. I did not design the system, and it was designed for the lifespan of that era, not planning on you living well past 65.

Edited by oldsoldier - 23 August 2016 at 4:58am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2016 at 1:05pm
I'd like to see a country that didn't have politicians who go into office poor and leave rich... 

While spending money like only a politician can, trillions at a time. What are we up to, 19 trillion in debt now... And Hillary will only increase that spending more and more. 

Look at every liberally run city in America, Show me ONE that is well run... 

To think that liberals run education while destroying the country and teaching the kids lies is just pathetic. Course with Obamacare now they own all of us silly little people as we have to give them 1/5 of our income as a "tax" under the guise of "healthcare"...
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2016 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Look at every liberally run city in America, Show me ONE that is well run... 

To think that liberals run education while destroying the country and teaching the kids lies is just pathetic. Course with Obamacare now they own all of us silly little people as we have to give them 1/5 of our income as a "tax" under the guise of "healthcare"...

Frankly, I wouldnt want our next generations education based on republican values (science, anyone?). 

There are plenty of "liberally" run areas that are run just fine. Take a look at economic confidence polling. Take a look at median income. Take a look at education funding.  You're making things up as you go here - which this election cycle is par for the course. 

Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

I kinda like the America of my youth in the 60's and 70's. Still industrial and plenty of jobs, Dad worked and Mom did not have to, could if she wanted though. Immigrants wanted to still be American's, not today's hyphenated whoever's from wherever living here in recreated enclave wherever's, and demanding we change our society and culture to them rather than they assimulate as ours generations prior. Our great industrial cities hammering out fair priced hard goods, now a wasteland of abandoned factories and crime (Detroit for example).

I don't know, for those of you born 95 and later you really have no clue on who and what we American's were prior to 92. Our father's made the world safe from Nazi's and Imperial Japan, came home and made America what is was from 45-88, we ourselves stood on the line between Communism and Freedom, and today this administration won't even address the fact that radical ideologies are at declared war on us.

I have no regrets growing up and living life as I did. CXonsidered it a 'Great' era, I adapted to the changes, had to, but long for the days of a simpler times, everyone not wandering in their 'cubicle' of silence, cell phone glued to their ear, and whatever they do 'wrong' is the fault of someone else, and life is not fair, and everyone gets a trophy for just being there. 

The 60-70's are gone, there's no going back. Thats not the world we exist in today. The "great industrial cities" are gone too. Unless we want to cut worker wages to compete to the point they cant afford the things they are making they arent coming back either. "Those who grew up in the 90's" are dealing with what your generation has left for us. Keep that in mind - thats our reality. 

You're blaming people for wanting to hold onto their culture? How is that a problem with them? Thats on you. Its also a little ironic that they can't have their culture but you want them to have yours. 

People put their childhood on a pedestal as if we've fallen down since then. Think of how many quality of life advances we've made in those 40 years, the discoveries we've made - Cancers which would be a death sentence are now treatable. 

Given then and now - there's no way id pick "then".

Edited by You Wont See Me - 23 August 2016 at 1:56pm
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2016 at 1:34pm
So you couldn't find one city that is a  beacon of leadership run by democrats? 

Surprising... 

What are these "republican values" in science that you are speaking of? I don't know of any specific "republican" standard in science at all... 

You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2016 at 1:45pm

So you couldn't find one city that is a  beacon of leadership run by democrats? 

Surprising... 

Minneapolis is booming. You'll  find some faults, but there isnt a city without them. The world isnt black and white. You didnt provide what cities would meet your criteria, so sorry that I didnt waste my time doing homework for you knowing full well you'd dismiss any claim made.

What are these "republican values" in science that you are speaking of? I don't know of any specific "republican" standard in science at all... 

Its the lack of standards. The re-writing of science textbooks or teaching the "controversy" that is going on throughout the south.

Edited by You Wont See Me - 23 August 2016 at 1:48pm
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2016 at 4:37pm
You Won't See Me- Really you took the bait hook line and sinker and are running on your perceived and favored perceptions. Immigration is when one people immigrate for a better life and accepting and assimulating into the other culture. If not is becomes Invasion by Immigration and ask the Native Americans how well that worked out for them. Imagine if every European and Asian Culture that immigrated here from 1775-1930 maintained enclave communities and demanded each of their cultures be the 'dominant' one. When they came here they wanted a new life, not just a repeat of the life they left from wherever, if that life was so good, why did they come here?

What lack of educational standards do you refer? Usually schools no matter who runs the Board have standards, Catholic Schools have a far higher standard than Public if you want to argue that point. But again you and yours tend to see religion as a threat to your communal belief system. The everyone is a winner Bravo Sierra is what causes this generation not to understand why they didn't get the job and why the other person was more qualified, we are all equal right, I got trophies to prove I participated, life ain't fair...gotta love it, and bet you never were an employer and heard this idiocy first hand.

Having evolution and creationism taught teaches the young to critically think, and give them the ability to reinforce or reject their belief systems later on. Jamming just Liberalism down them is no better than Religion, choice is what made our past generations develop all we have now, did not instantly appear from the Liberal Fairey.

I and my kids went to Catholic Schools and we all turned out fine, and can sort through all the worlds Bravo Sierra, because we have a wider view of the realities out here. And all of us have chosen how we accept those teachings, what freedom of thought is all about. But it appears Liberalism does not like competition, imagine that.

The 60's and 70's may be gone, but the human animal that 'survived' that era are still longing for a change from this automated, individualism, and Marxian vision The Left has. Cubical cultures of computers and video game, lack of interpersonal communication skills, overall attitudes of we are better from youth, (that has been a constant through all generations, till they understand they are not when they 'grow up' and become their parents generation, remember we in the 60's were going to change the world, and hated 'The Man', now we are 'The Man'), Depend on government and other peoples money and we the government will solve all your problems. What you and your generation who never lived back in the day do not understand.

Sometimes life is a little Darwinian, and if you actually believe that The Left fosters equality, explain the favored 'rich' and privledged on The Left being better than the 'rich' and privledged on The Right. Did you get a 6 figure salary right after college? Chesea did....so much for anti White Privledge Hillary.

Flush out your headgear, someday you kids and grandchildren are going to ask the hard questions on why, and your answers will be?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 7:36am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

It doesn't matter if my candidate wins or not, I cannot vote for a candidate I don't believe in.

This.

And telling me I 'have to pick one or the other' because if I don't, I'm securing the win for the candidate that YOU don't like, is a dick move.

"If you don't vote for the lesser of two evils, the greater evil will win, you don't want that do you? Vote for my candidate."

I flat-out refuse to pick one of these cretins for my next president. If the nation as a whole decides they want to...fine. But I'm not going to compromise my integrity because a Trump/Clinton supporter pretending to be undecided has told me I have to.

ESPECIALLY if you don't live in a battleground state that traditionally votes one way or the other. What difference does it make if you vote for Gary Johnson, Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, or Foghorn Leghorn if the electorates are already bought and paid for?

I still haven't made up my mind. Unless something amazing happens which endears HC or DT to me, which isn't likely, I won't cast a ballot for either of them. I'm still not completely sold on Johnson yet, but I'm not ruling him out either. Libertarians have a few platforms I don't necessarily agree with- but I'm not a single-issue voter either. 
?

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I still haven't made up my mind.

I've sort of decided that if Florida is at all close, I'll vote Clinton, because more than anything I don't think Donald Trump is competent enough to perform the duties of president. 

But if Florida is not close, I'll probably write in Tom Joad. I don't like Clinton, especially her foreign policy and tepid neo-liberalism, and I don't really see anything changing my mind on that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic