Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2016 election.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 1:23pm
And Moon Jae-In won in South Korea and the North apparently decided another nuclear test was a bad move and just tested a mid-range missile without overshooting Japan, attacked the ocean, then chilled out. The North is pretty predictable with a lot of loud noises and fireworks every spring, right around when we do Foal Eagle with the ROK. They also love to test new presidents of both the US and ROK and love to do it big for anniversaries in multiples of 5's and 10's. This was bound to get weird this time. It gives us a chance to check out whatever new hardware they come up with. It's as predictable as the tides, this was kind of a super-tide. 

Either way the South Koreans managed to make democracy shine. They had a weirdo throwback to the glory days president who was corrupt, but not even in the typical way they're used to, it was just illogical and dumb this time, and after focusing a bunch of effort on things that seemed intrusive, occasionally offensive and usually toothless. The mini-skirt ban in early 2013 immediately comes to mind, coming into office with help from social-media astro-turfing bots on Kakao Talk that were run by the national intelligence agency didn't help at all. She completely blew the response to a tragic, criminal, and preventable at multiple levels accident, resulting in the deaths of hundreds children, more than a few of whom I had in a few classes. I'm pretty happy with the results of this election, the ROK has its share of problems and has been content to kick the can down the road on the hard stuff and settle for superficial fixes and distractions while the chaebols and politicians screw them, while blowing smoke to obscure their inaction so long as they're making out ok. I'm glad Ban Ki Moon stayed out of it and avoided getting raked through the coals. His career can end with a decent capstone. 

As for the Comey firing and recent hearings, I recently had a good conversation with the son of an attorney who defended John Mitchell on the Watergate thing and he found a lot of these recent actions to be absolutely asinine. Comey was in a bad position and didn't handle it well, but to not know how to even basically CYA when dismissing him is embarrassing. It's not even good for Trump, the true believes dislike the acting director over his wife's political donors and activities, and the POTUS would look horrible if fired him too. Oh, and the FBI raided a Republican consulting firm in Maryland, McCabe went to Congress with a solid security detail in an emergency meeting, Rosenstein backed away from his writings being used to justify the firing, and the Russians apparently think this whole thing is hilarious. Even asking Russian nationals I know who are fairly political, they basically remember Yeltsin the incompetent drunk, laugh, and tell us it will be fine and that we deserve this. I'm not exactly sold on the collusion idea, but the Russians almost certainly and predictably tried to throw a wrench in the works, are probably trying to play up their involvement or successes. Someone asked me who I thought was winning in the Yates testimony, my honest answer was "Russia". 

Yates was impressive and sounded like she was seriously trying to be competent instead of the nonstop disingenuous spin I'm becoming too used to. She pretty much stuffed Ted Cruz in a locker and farted into the vents. I'm not sure how we're going to get through the crumbling of civic values we're experiencing, we're not adapting to information saturation well. I'm getting as sick of it as fidget spinners. 
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

I'm pretty excited that I'll possibly see an impeachment in my lifetime.
God, I hope so.

You guys weren't around when Slick Willie got impeached?
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:11am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I'm pretty excited that I'll possibly see an impeachment in my lifetime.
God, I hope so.

You guys weren't around when Slick Willie got impeached?
I was alive, but not old enough to have any real understanding of political events. If an impeachment happens with Donald, I'm hoping the end result is a little more impactful than Clinton's was.

Given the circumstances, even thinking about Bill Clinton's impeachment in comparison to Trump's is laughable at best.

I couldn't care less who the President sleeps with. I care very much who's tampering with the validity of our government. I know, I know, Clinton committed perjury, but again, given recent circumstances; lying to congress one time is a dramatic improvement over where we're at now.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:52am

If an impeachment happens with Donald, I'm hoping the end result is a little more impactful than Clinton's was.

The impact of Clinton's wasn't immediate, but the long term effects are still being felt today. His impeachment resulted in the disillusionment of the people with presidential politics which helped push GW Bush to the front in the next election. It also helped sour the American people on the Clinton family as a whole which helped contribute to Hillary's loss this past election.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

If an impeachment happens with Donald, I'm hoping the end result is a little more impactful than Clinton's was.

The impact of Clinton's wasn't immediate, but the long term effects are still being felt today. His impeachment resulted in the disillusionment of the people with presidential politics which helped push GW Bush to the front in the next election. It also helped sour the American people on the Clinton family as a whole which helped contribute to Hillary's loss this past election.
Immediately impactful* Big smile

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:46pm
The PTA meetings at my son's school could get very interesting next year.

It's also where my wife works and where I used to be posted with my company until last year.

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:03pm

Immediately impactful* Big smile

I would say given Hillary's.. colorful and storied political mishaps had far, far more impact than Bills extramarital affairs and rape.

Without citing any sources whatsoever, Bill Clinton was a pretty popular president. His highest approval rating was when he was impeached at 73%, with a dip to about 50% when he was acquitted. He floated at 60% until his term ended.

Americans historically have not cared about the Presidents infidelity. JFK was a total whore and LBJ said worse stuff than Donald Trump that doesn't make a blip in history. Except Marilyn Monroe.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:18pm

It's also where my wife works and where I used to be posted with my company until last year.

Eek.  You would hope that people would not throw a fit about who is attending, questions about security might be valid. Looks at the Reagan kids, the generation-gap is real. 

It's been yet another interesting few hours: unscripted revelation of sensitive intel provided by a third-party ally bilaterally to Russia but not NATO allies, a credible North Korean missile test, major trade-agreement pushes by China after the US stepped out of a flawed trade agreement with a bunch of Asian countries without a replacement, revelations about memos of a private meeting attempting to influence an investigation reported on by the same source that broke the Clinton server story, a massive raid on foreign gang-members in a solid blue state a night after the administration made overt gestures of solidarity with law enforcement shortly after yet another bad police shooting (screw MS-13 but this reeks of a show-of-force) an almost 400 point drop in the DOW, and an administration job for a nutjob sherif who let babies die in his jail and accuses his opponents of being with ISIS and suggesting they be jailed without charge, a Turkish strongman's bodyguards beating the crap out of protestors in Washington DC, who belong to an ethnic group that has been a reliable ally in both the fight against the regime of Saddam Hussein and ISIS. 

EDIT: Oh, and there's now a special counsel in charge of the major investigation who has stood up to two presidents from different parties, who is getting public support from Democrats who opposed his earlier nomination, and is an ex* Marine. This is getting real. I can't even keep up with this. 

Unless you're a psychopath who wants to watch the world burn, none of this is good, no matter if you have a strong political leaning.  The admin needs to chill and act normal now that they've figured out what the public, courts, and congress will tolerate, or this has potential to get much worse. Even if certain actions might make sense to you, there's an extent to what is acceptable to enough people. International rivals are watching, planning, and acting accordingly. If the administration can't get itself on track, the other branches need to do their proscribed jobs well to ensure credible government regardless of party. I get that a lot of people want to argue over whether or not government is credible in itself, but we're rolling into summer and that often means unrest in the US in the best of times. 

Edited by rednekk98 - 17 May 2017 at 6:33pm
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Unless you're a psychopath who wants to watch the world burn, 

You say psycho, I say avid LiveLeak subsriber Tongue

But in all honesty, if you think their is unrest now just wait and see what climate change will bring. Famine and water shortages will bring violence to unprecedented levels. We'll be wishing it all ended with a flash of light.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:57am

But in all honesty, if you think their is unrest now just wait and see what climate change will bring. Famine and water shortages will bring violence to unprecedented levels. We'll be wishing it all ended with a flash of light.

This coming from the guy who lives in one of the drier areas of the US...... way to be a part of the problem man....

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 2:42pm
But thanks to climate change we might experience historical flooding and wish for dryer conditions 😛
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:07am

1. Buy up desert property that is higher than surrounding basin
  2. Wait for rain
  3. Sell off beach-front/lake-front property at 1000% markup
  4. Profit

I mean, that's what happened with the Salton Sea, just make sure to cut and run before it starts concentrating the salinity and killing off all the wildlife.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:10pm
If you think we have a problem with immigration now - just wait until (literally) half of the netherlands is underwater. 

Edited by __sneaky__ - 19 May 2017 at 3:10pm

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 3:47pm

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 7:42pm

If you think we have a problem with immigration now - just wait until (literally) half of the netherlands is underwater. 
Which is why i continually tell my "friend" the Dutch alt-right troll (he's as close to a Nazi as anyone I know, he'd be worth blocking if it didn't give me a heads-up on whatever copypasta is going to be posted in comments sections later that day and end up on inforwars a day or two later then maybe ends up in a tweet from the golden throne) that if his country drowns I don't want him trying to come here. Nope, if you want to say screw refugees that don't share our values because they pose a danger to our society, no Monarchists from countries that like windmills, legal weed, or whoring. 
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 11:09pm
Sooooo.

Why would Donald Jr release obviously incriminating e-mails?

Also, lol e-mails.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Sooooo.

Also, lol e-mails.
Learned from the mistakes of the Hildebeast?

Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 12:27pm
Obviously incriminating was the key phrase there. Like... pretty much spelled out. So why would it be in his interest to release them? Is he stupid? Does he think he's above the law and untouchable? Is he taking the fall for his old man and planning on being pardoned?

On the surface it just doesn't make sense that he would publicly release evidence implicating him in one or more crimes.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Sooooo.

Also, lol e-mails.

Learned from the mistakes of the Hildebeast?

This... Makes no sense.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 4:19pm
The only non-malicious reason I can think of is that some other organization obtained the information and was getting ready to go public with it. I don't know if it's true, but that's my current bet.

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
  Share Topic