Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2016 election.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 9:16am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Most of the folks here are still in the receiver part of all these wonderful liberal programs. Once they 'graduate' into the paying part for other's 'free' stuff they might understand. Fun culture, the more you succeed, the more the government feels they can take, as long as those in government don't lose theirs.

This has been posted here since I was a teenager. Funny enough, I've now got a decent-paying job, a 403b, and my own health insurance, and I still support single-payer healthcare, a $15-equivalent living wage, tuition-subsidized public colleges, and really a bunch of tax increases. 

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 9:40am
The you are the rarity out there. Once you are the employer maybe then you will understand that $15 an hour minimum in a competitive market place is not a 'good thing'. And notice the trend to automation in the minimal pay rate marketplace, who will pay $5.00 for a Big Mac to keep that underachiever employed? Or, that overseas made widget costing $2.00 pitted against a $7.00 widget made domestically because of the higher costs of labor? And as the employer and having $X as my cost for labor in order to stay in business and provide a competitive priced product or service, and then the employees demand $X+ in pay and benefits, my options are to increase product and or service cost, losing market share and furthering the problem of staying in business , or cut labor force and decrease hours for the 'survivors' in order to stay competitive. Economy 101.

I am in a single payer system, The Veterans Administration Health Care System, and you really do not want this. Have you gone to your local VA Hospital and sat in the waiting room and observed or interviewed Veterans, bet not. You do understand the issues with England's National Health Care System correct, or the fiasco ACA has become.

What is your total overall tax rate, all taxes annually combined? Right now I am at 62% of out total family income goes to taxes of some kind, from federal to communications taxes. Where is the 'that's enough' point in that equation? Get the wife, kids, and house, then get back to me. And why are more and more taxes demanded to support other people who somehow can't seem to motivate themselves above and beyond the this does not work lifestyle, let's try and improve ourselves.

Lowly underpaid enlisted service member, pay far below my civilian counter parts, police officer, again not another high paying career field, yet somehow the family made it, kids off to college, after I paid local school taxes, then paid to put kids through private 'Catholic' school.

It is called 'priorities' in that you can't have everything right now and you have to occasionally say no, and prioritize personal/family spending. You pay for what you can afford, not all the time what you want, and then when your budget is overwhelmed expect others to bail you out or pay for things you did not prioritize (college for the kids, for example).

It's generational, and nothing is 'free' contrary to certain political beliefs. And once you run out of other peoples money, what then...see Venezuala.

Edited by oldsoldier - 30 August 2016 at 7:14pm
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 11:44pm
If people don't want to buy a 5 dollar Big Mac, then that product should be eliminated from the marketplace. I spend 15 to 25 dollars on hamburgers all the time. In and out pays their employees above minimum wage and if they need to increase the cost of their burgers and other products, the consumer will gladly pay for it. Same with foreign vs domestically produced products. I go out of my way and willing pay more to buy Made in the USA.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 1:25am
You all do understand that back in the day, Dad worked, made enough, mom stayed at home,(but with the option to work) and somehow we survived on one income. Then came 1964 and the tax increases, and all of a sudden middle class America could no long pay for what they could in 1963 and Mom had to go to work, and away the spiral went.

What is the limit, as prices rise to compensate for the $15.00 minimum wage what have we accomplished overall? Higher pay, higher prices, and almost a Zero sum game. And how are we going to compensate the long term prior employees? Will their pay rise with their seniority or just get the $15.00 min the new walk in the door employee gets, explain then the lack of motivation.

A classic case of all this is Venezuela, a micro attempt of what you all want, and what do we have left down there?

Explain how rewarding mediocrity (minimum wage 'career workers') and not expecting then to rise in the workforce, instead drag the remainder of the workforce down to them. Idiocy. How did we generations prior manage to survive and succeed? The son of a career Air Force Officer, in military for 23yrs being paid far less than my civilian counter parts, worked law enforcement, again not another high paying career field in NYC, exchanged 23yrs of blood sweat and tears for my college and 'free' medical through the currently seriously flawed Veteran's Administration Health Care System. Strange how illegals are a higher priority for Health Care on the Government than Veterans who served that Government, we wait, they have no lines instant care and benefits, how does that happen if not fishing for potential Democrat voters?

Lower the taxes, pay based on experience and skill, not just because they are there, return hard goods manufacturing to the US. And then see where we are. When high percentages of the population are on food stamps or other public assistance, paid for by we those of generations passed that actually worked hard to succeed, and are now punished by higher taxes to pay for these underachievers, what do you think we older 'middle class' people think of the new generation of we are owed this types. Yes we 'older' types are PO'd and all Hillary wants to do is take more of the fruits of our labor and give it to someone else, and we are at the end. Start paying 62% of your income to ALL taxes combined, and then get told by one party we need to raise your taxes, really is it that hard to understand.

Edited by oldsoldier - 31 August 2016 at 1:35am
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 7:03am
I missed T&O.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 10:56am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I missed T&O.

Same. I have less time to enjoy it though, which is a bummer. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 11:02am
In other news, Trump is flying to Mexico City to visit Mexico's President Nieto, then will give a speech in Arizona. It'll be interesting to find out what his immigration policy is now compared to what it was last week and the week before that, and before that, etc. 

Also, Clinton's likability numbers are at a record low for her, coming in at about 41%, close to being tied with Trump, who holds the record for statistically the least-likable presidential candidate in history. 

Everything is bad. 
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Everything is bad. 

Yup.

?

spydercam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Like a mad scientist, but with Tippmanns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spydercam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2016 at 7:24am
It´s a World wide Problem you can choose a person you vote but the corupt System will go on just with a different face for the People. They on top just take care of their rich friends which live on cost of tax payers, nature resurces, child workers etc.

If i would be god i would kick all of them into jail and let them pay all the taxes back they robbed from tax payers(hard working People for less Money)!!!

As Long i´m fine i´m happy without useless plastic, electronic etc. trash, which is just get prodused to make bored People happy !!!

Rich bored People plus brainwashed armed People = war for nothing + dead civiliains(for shure more than 90% of mankind just want to live in peace) !!!

But if rich try to get richer this will get a bad end for them but also for mankind too.

So you have the choice you can go live in your brainwashed pink world or go use your brain and really Change something !!!

I´m not optimistic but i still hope !!!

The bad guys always use the worse to brainwash, so take care !!! Industry and friends tells much if the day is long

Edited by spydercam - 01 September 2016 at 7:37am
I like Tippmann !!!

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2016 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Originally posted by God God wrote:

That is terrible. The USA is doomed.
/fixed

Fixed Better.

What we need is a candidate that combines the strengths of both the Democratic and Republican nominees.  You know . . . someone with the honesty of Hillary and the self-control and decorum of Donald.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2016 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

What we need is a candidate that combines the strengths of both the Democratic and Republican nominees.  You know . . . someone with the honesty of Hillary and the self-control and decorum of Donald.
Thanks.  I now have to pick tiny pieces of shrapnel out of my skin due to my sarcasm meter exploding...

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2016 at 1:12pm
Just plan accordingly people, it is going to be a long 4 to 8 years after the past 8. I am good to go either way, settled in, home paid for, two vehicles paid for, motorcycles paid for, farm land all around, ability to self sustain. All took time.

Odds are I will be gone in 2020, definitely taking dirt nap by 2024, wife is set up to survive, kids are prepped to cope, grandkids will be screwed, but at least I can look down and said did the best I could.

Whale warned you a long time ago that once you start working time tends to disappear, now get the wife, kids, house and bills and you got even less time, and more importantly money. Welcome to the grown up world.

Is your generation as well of as mine....don't think so, and it is going to get worse, as the next generation comes up behind you and demand more of what you worked for, so they can say 'life needs to be fair' for us.

Edited by oldsoldier - 12 September 2016 at 1:13pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2016 at 4:20pm
This election is now even because the Clinton 2016 campaign is the most inept group at messaging and recruiting I have maybe ever seen in a modern national campaign. 

Trump is stumbling into a tie because Clinton is not aware of the perception toward her in the slightest. 

How are they so bad at this. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2016 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

I am in a single payer system, The Veterans Administration Health Care System, and you really do not want this.

I don't think a universal healthcare system should run like the VA, though. The VA has major issues that all really stem from unpredictable funding and poor management. It can be easy to look at the poor management as proof that government cannot effectively manage healthcare -- but in reality, the issue us that people who are good at managing healthcare facilities and programs often don't make competitive money at the VA vs. a for-profit facility. 

I don't have all the answers, but I do think that the VA's method of owning facilities doesn't work. Even in a universal-coverage system, ownership of hospitals, clinics, etc., could remain in private hands, simply paid for by a pool of taxed money. Think about the setup with private contract prisons, except helping people get healthy instead of being evil. Let the people who know how to run healthcare run healthcare, just make sure that everyone has a fair right to access. 

I also don't think that an American universal healthcare system would look look the UK's NHS, or whatever the Canadians call their thing. We are a unique country with an enormous population -- our system will have to be different, built for us. 

But I think we should work toward building it. 
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 4:57am

This election is now even because the Clinton 2016 campaign is the most inept group at messaging and recruiting I have maybe ever seen in a modern national campaign. 

Trump is stumbling into a tie because Clinton is not aware of the perception toward her in the slightest. 

I think the debates will make or break the election.

Hillary needs to trap Trump into going into a tirade... and Trump needs to be cool, collected, and tastefully bury Clinton.

Every mark against Trump will be forgotten if he acts presidential until November.

I'm sure the Clinton campaign probably has a smart board full of ideas to set off Trump
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 11:24am
I'm interested to see where the media campaigns go from here. Trump hasn't spent nearly as much so far. If I were him, I'd wait until about the second or third week of October to start buying ad space and then absolutely inundate the market. Ads only impact polling for a short period of time, so I'd like to see how effective it would be to create a massive, short term high volume media blitz versus the traditional 6 month long smear fest we typically see. (And like the Hillary campaign team is currently running)
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 12:05pm

Because they're caught up in the Clinton cult of personality. They can't see why others can't bring themselves to vote for her because they can't see a reason not to.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Because they're caught up in the Clinton cult of personality. They can't see why others can't bring themselves to vote for her because they can't see a reason not to.

This could be the most accurate thing said in this entire election cycle.
?

Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 7:27pm
All I know is I cannot wait to see this first debate no matter how it ends.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 10:25am
To me it will be interesting to see if Hillary goes into debate without ear bud, and those advisors telling her how to respond after that short 'delay'. Does she ever have a real thought of her own anymore.

And then we have the New Yorker spontaneous response from Trump, sometimes rather funny, but I understand. The press is far too literal to understand Trump and his New York attitude. As I explain to the local Pollyanna Nebraska crowd, New Yorkers are famous for the blunt and argumentative response, the get you attention response initially, then we explain our point. The art of the kibitz. As I explained to my Nebraskan college professor friend. As a New Yorker the Democrats bring out a box, pull a Duck out of that box, and it looks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, then you state it is a Turkey, and 'you do not understand', we New Yorker's go "What are you fricking talking about, it is a Duck, are you that stupid?" and somehow we are the 'dumb' ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic