Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tell us your paintball journey.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tell us your paintball journey.
    Posted: 21 October 2016 at 11:43am
When did you first start?: Around '99-2000. My buddy got into it, bought a pro-carbine. I tagged along with him to a indoor field and was hooked.

First gun?: Spyder TL.

All the guns you own/owned?: Sold the Spyder and bought a impulse around 2002? Sold that and bought a Bonebrake LCD Angel (The only gun I still own). Around 2006 I bought a converted cocker pump. (Wayyy before pumps were cool Wink), Then bought a Bob Long Vice, in which I shot a couple of cases of paint then ended up selling it so I could go to Spring break, which never ended up happening but still ended up drinking the money. Bought a few more pumps along the way.

Last game (if applicable): The field I worked at closed down in May 2012, that was the last time I played.

What gun/gear in your opinion changed paintball for the worst/better?: The Black Dragon (gun). For the worst.

Any other memories you want to share?: Paintball helped save my life. I suffered with depression early on, and paintball was a great escape mechanism. I looked forward to every weekend to play. My local paintball store was my favorite place. They understood why I spent all my time, money and energy on this sport. Around 2008 when my drinking was getting considerably worse, I ended up working at a paintball field. The owner at that time was about 25 years sober. And for some reason didn't feel the need to fire me, but sure did take the opportunity every weekend to tell me there's a better way. About a year later I got my DUI on my way to work and ended up in AA a few days later. I struggled with the whole higher power thing, until my boss and I were out driving around one day. That paintball store that I loved and felt like home had closed a few years earlier. I looked out the window to see what they had put in place of it. It had the AA logo. My old home had been converted into a AA meeting hall. That was the sign I needed that I was on the right path.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2016 at 7:50pm
1985 - Stationed in the UK at the time and played with rental equipment (Splatmaster and shop goggles) - I remember going on the field once with 4 10 round tubes and being accused of being a "trigger-happy yank."  (Because nobody needed more than one extra tube of paint.)

Played with rentals on and off for years then took some time away from the game.  Got back in and finally started buying some of my own equipment around 2000.

I won't go through all the markers I've owned because it would take a while.  The one marker I regret getting rid of was an F4 Illustrator.  (This is the reason I won't part with my original model Stingray, original SL68-II, Kingmann Hammer A, Kingmann Hammer II or Tippmann F/A even though I don't play with any of them anymore.)

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2016 at 7:36pm
Around 1990.

ATCI TM-11A Pump.  Used shop goggles at first too.  When we cleaned our equipment for the first time, my buddy wanted to know how durable the goggles were.  Put them in the sink at his apartment and fired a shot at them.  I had no idea how far the paint from one paintball would splatter everywhere.  His wife was NOT amused...

ATCI TM-11A, Tippmann Pro/AM, Tippmann A-5, Tippmann 68 Special, Tippmann SL-68II, AGD 68 Automag, Smart Parts Ion, Ariakon Pistol.  Still have them all.

Been awhile the last time I played.  Probably better than 5 years.  Played some woodsball on state property with a handful of people.  Before that, I tried my hand at speedball with my A-5.  Funny how I was picked first during team selection.  Probably at the sheer audacity that I would play with such a brick of a gun that they thought I must be good.  They learned better during the first game, lol.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2016 at 10:38pm
Probably around 2000-01

Started with an old, gilled, Model 98

Got an A-5 several years later.  Traded that for a Rat JR Impulse and a BKO.  Sold the BKO, parted out the Rat, and my M98 has been in pieces for probably 8 years.  I had an I&I Sports Punisher pistol for a while.  It never worked right.  I think the last time I played was 2013 when I took my platoon out for a day.  
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 5:11pm
Haahahahhaahahahaha.

I'm not even gonna try to catalog the guns I've owned.

I did just buy a Planet Eclipse Gtek, though, and I love that thing a super lot. Like, it's a fantastic paint flinger.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 10:31pm
I started in 2000 or 2001 with a Stingray II I got for Christmas.  I had one friend who played and we would play 1 on 1s during the weekends in that winter.  We soon got a group of people together and I upgraded to... you guessed it... a pro-carbine.  I loved that thing.  My dad ended up trying to help me out and put some firearm solvent through it and ruined all the o-rings.  I replaced them, got it back up and running, but I replaced it with an A-5, and sent the p/c to Enos.  

The A-5 really allowed me to enjoy the game.  I upgraded it pretty well with barrels, got my first compressed air tank, got a palmer's stabilizer reg.  At this point it was around 2003, and I started getting different guns.  I traded my failed attempt at learning a musical instrument for a plain slider framed autococker, and I also got an automag.  Looking back, the autococker was probably my favorite gun I've owned.  I never learned how to time it or troubleshoot anything because it just always worked.  The slider frame was so satisfying to shoot.  The automag was the gun I upgraded as close to high end as I could.  It had the ULE body, I got some goofy 90* frame, lvl 10 bolt, some nice resin grips, the works.  That's the gun I started playing tournaments with.  

When I went to college in late '04 I started to get more into the tournament scene.  I sold the automag to Rambino and bought an old school DM3 matrix.  I used that for a while, but quickly sold it and bought a PM6.  That's the gun I used the most throughout my college/NCPA playing days.  I ended up selling that in 2008ish and bought an etek in 2009 after getting the itch.  That gun was in my hands for about a year before I finally gave it up for good.

Other guns I've owned throughout the years... a old school PGP, a empire (I think) intimidator that I bought from gatyr, a phantom pump that I was terrible with, a ICD freestyle that may or may not have been a naughty dogs milled one, and a hack job of an ebolted m98c with a matrix board in it that I never got working.  

I kind of miss it, but also don't.  I stopped when instead of going to play paintball I was going to practice.  It lost its fun.  
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2016 at 11:11am
My son got into it in '99 and I bought my first marker - 98C - shortly after.  I have 2 3' rolling toolboxes full of parts and pieces of pretty much every popular maker that I've had/broke over the years.  My favourite is still my A5, flatline barrel and response trigger. It's been a long time since I've broken paint shooting it, such a reliable gun.  I last played about 3 years ago.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2016 at 8:42pm
Played my first real game right around '91-'92. This was back when fields had age limits and they had just lowered it to 12 at the local field so my buddy took 3 of us out for his birthday. Scary Creek Paintball (it's still there) in Teays Valley, WV. Options were either the "Basic" package of a Nelson-valved pump of questionable origin, or "New!" Tippmann Pro-Lite semi-auto. We got the Pro-Lites and 100 rounds each and a 12oz CO2 bottle for something like $35. Masks were JT Whipper-Snappers with the added foam protectors zip-tied to the frame. The field was an old farm, so old barns, houses, trailers, etc. were the playing field. You could even get the real explosive paint grenades at that time before the BATFE said "no-no!"

Prior to that, I had played a couple of "renegade" games in the woods with original Splatmasters and oil-based paint. But that was more of the "stalk your prey" kind of game. A buddy of mine bought the Splatmasters and paint at Montgomery Ward to give you an idea of how long ago that was!

Anyway, from the game at Scary Creek onward, I was hooked. Played there a few more times in Jr. High and High School and really got into it in college. I had an old Stingray I in High School, but mainly used it for shooting in the back yard. When I got to college, a couple of buddies and I rented some Tippmann 98's for a day from The Dragon's Den and played a night game on our school's campus in the woods. I think most of us didn't even see each other that whole night, but that was enough to get me interested in playing up there. I eventually scratched together enough cash to buy a used Pro-Lite with J&J ceramic barrel and a 12oz Chromemoly tank, a used JT Elite Crossfire w/ thermal lenses, and a basic APP hopper. I'd cash in meal tickets at the school's student cafe to buy paint. I played enough, and well enough, that the store took notice and eventually hired me on as a sales guy. From there, I learned to tech, and the rest was history. Played NCPA my Sr. year. Loved every minute of it.

Arsenal:
Stingray I
Tippmann Pro-Lite
Tippmann Pro-AM
2k Autococker
ZAP IAO Custom Black Magic 'Cocker (limited run milling and color)
Tippmann 98 OG (w/ e-bolt)*
DYE Matrix LCD (DMLCD/DM3)
Sandridge F5 Autococker (Sold to DeTrevni eventually?)
Invert Mini*
OG Black Magic 'Cocker*
Tippmann FT-12*
Tippmann C3*
Nelson Nelspot 007
Tons of others I can't remember off the top of my head. I did a lot of horse-trading in the mid 2000's

(* = still own)

Last Played 2 years ago. Been meaning to get back out there, just haven't had time.

What gun/gear in your opinion changed paintball for the worst/better? For the worse, I'd say the Smart Parts Ion. Suddenly every snot-nosed brat could shoot ropes with the aid of a cheater board. That killed it for a lot of people and simply made paintball too expensive in an arms-race kind of way. A lot of fields didn't survive because they had to choose between saying "no electros" and losing out on the easy paint money from those kids, or saying "anything goes" and having new players get so beat down that they wouldn't play again. As for "For the better" I'd say the Tippmann 98 Custom. While it wasn't the first truly upgradeable marker (the Autococker beat it to the punch) it took that customization ability and put it in the hands of the masses. I sold more 98Cs the Christmas of 2000 than I could have ever imagined. We could barely keep them in stock.

As for other stuff, paintball gave me a LOT of enjoyment in college that I otherwise wouldn't have had. Met my college girlfriend through that job (she worked in the geekier side of the store) learned all about sales, integrity, honesty, and fair competition through work and tournaments with both the store team and my NCPA team. It kept me in shape and kept me out of trouble. I'm glad to see it making a comeback in my area, and in the old-school field kind of way.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2016 at 9:47pm
First gun: 98 Custom. August 2005 birthday present. It was the package deal that came with a Scott mask, hopper, and 9oz CO2 with the butt stock cap thing.

All the guns I've owned? Yikes.
My original 98 Custom
Tippmann Factory F/A that I never used
Pro-Carbine that I traded a Schwinn Stingray frame for
X7 Phenom used once
SL68II
Automag with minor mods
No name Autococker that I never got a reg for
Crosman 3357... sadly never used in a game
Benjamin Sheridan pump (I think.. I know it's brass)
Edit: 68 Special
Free A5
Free VL spyder clone

I must be forgetting many. I horded about 20 and never sold one.

Last game? I believe 2011. I've not been playing paintball longer than I did. Wow.

Any memories?

Not really.. but this thread made me sad. Brought back a lot of memories of those I drifted from. I still have my old man, I should drag him out in May

Edited by SSOK - 24 October 2016 at 9:49pm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2016 at 10:54pm
I wonder how many of you guys I've bought guns off of. Tallen and PCF, Yomillio... There were some more, but......

No selling on the forum, noobs.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 10:49am
I remember playing woodsball when we all only had pumps.  One day, my buddy emptied out his glass 5 gallon jug of coins, counted them up, rolled them and turned them into the bank.  With the $300 he had, he purchased a 68-Special.  It was the first semi-auto encounter on the field for everyone.  You could hear the jaws droping a mile away when he starting shooting it.  About a month later, the Pro/Am was released and the arms race was on.  A month after that, when I scraped up $385, I got my own Pro/Am.

We were all shocked again shortly after when another buddy of mine was on shore leave.  He showed up with a 68-Automag that he dropped $700 on.  The shock was how quiet that thing was.  I mean whisper quiet when compared to the Pro/Am's harsh clank from each trigger pull.  Just unreal.  Even more unreal was the amount of paint we were going through.  With pumps, it took forever to go through a case of ($100) paint.  Those were the days...

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 2:18pm
My first exposure to paintball.... Mid 80's my friend and I were in the woods at a local huge park in NC. We got off the main trails and were deep in the woods following an old worn trail when a bunch of military guys swept pass us in full gear with face paint and everything. They had googles on but no facemasks and were carrying pump paintball guns. 

We had crossed into the military part of the park by accident and they were doing war games. One of the last guys shot a tree so we could see what they were shooting and the splat combined with the fact that they totally snuck up on us and scared the crap out of us,  instantly made me want to play that someday. 

It was decades later before I finally did, but the rush is incredible. 
They tremble at my name...
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2016 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

. . . the rush is incredible. 

This.  So This
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2016 at 7:32pm
     I bought a Stingray in 97 or 98. I had 20 acres behind my house, and friends would come over and play. I decided to upgrade, so I came here to ask if I should get a Procarbine or 98. I ended up with the 98. I played from about 97 or 98 until 2003 or so. A couple of my friends started playing again around 2010, but my friend that had the land got divorced and we lost our place to play. A field has opened up close by, and I still got all the stuff (even 16-18 year old CO2 tanks) sitting around, so I might get up and play one day. I go through simunition training at work on occasion, so I still "play paintball" a little bit but I can't get too wild with it.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 3:51am
I started playing in 98 or 99.
First marker was the Brass Eagle Talon with a 10 round tube magazine. A handful of friends faced off in the woods, the guy with the stingray was the coolest, and the guy with the slingshot (yeah, wrist rocket) was nuts.

A few of the guys started dumping what was then considered serious money into the game, and all of a sudden I was outgunned. Hard.
So my brother and I went 'all in' and bought a few used 98s. It spiraled from there. I found this place, started dumping money and time into woods and rec ball, and played as much as humanly possible until June of '09.

After that, I moved a few times, most of the fields anywhere nearby closed down, and all of the regular players were (like me) grown up and moved along. It really and truly died in my area.

I played a few times since then, but not nearly as much as I would have liked to. The death blow was three years ago when most of my equipment save for a few markers -was lost in a flood.

I've had far too many markers to name here, but my all time favorite was the old 68 carbine that I traded a gilled 98 for to a short-time forum member- Hounddogg. It became my primary, even as much higher-end pieces made the field. I'd loan out my X7 and A5 and run the crusty old 68.

I very, very much miss playing.

More than than the game itself though, I miss the opportunity to meet people. I've met a number of forum members at various events throughout the years, including Thompsonshooter and a handful of the OMHW gang at West Point about a zillion years ago. Rambino and PCF got to be part of my honeymoon road trip (Saying that out loud sounds weird) OS got to join the Confederate army with me a few years ago in Pa, and Rednekk and a couple of others and I nearly froze to death at a Planet Hoth scenario game in Upstate NY back in my college days.

Really, I miss the random meet-ups and such as much as I miss slinging paint.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 17 November 2016 at 3:58am
?

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 11:36am
I met up on 2 different ocassions with people from a TFC server that we all admired on.  People from all over Canada and two from the states, it was a blast. 
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
pb125 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 language strike, 10/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2016 at 6:54pm
I paintballed for the first time in 2003 at my friend's birthday party. Got a 98c for christmas that year, and tbh, only went a handful of times due to being so young and having parents that were unwilling to support what at the time was a very expensive hobby for a teenager. Sold all my stuff off a few years later and never went again until...

This weekend! Decided now that i'm a grown ass man, I wanted to buy the stuff I couldn't afford when I was little, and get back into the sport. Got myself a nice little ego11 and I'm ready to go. 
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2016 at 9:44pm
I started around 2002, give or take a year. I share a birthday with two younger siblings(twins) and my dad let me and the boy twin pick out our presents that year and we grabbed paintball guns. Mine was one of the early Spyder electros, we drove around all day looking for a CO2 fill, went home and out into the woods and it was all over from there.

I started begging for rides to the closest field (about 45 minutes away) every single weekend until I was 16 and got picked up by a local team.(It may have actually been when I was 15, it's been too long to remember anymore) Before I even played with that team, another team asked to borrow me for a local tournament. They were more well established and asked me to stay with them and to go to an upcoming CFOA event with them. 

From that point on it was jumping on teams, networking with players from all over, making friends with guys that had real connections in the industry, and playing all over the place. It got to the point when I was almost never  practicing, and maybe getting to go play recball with my friends once a month or so because my money was going to hotels and food while going to tournaments several times a year while trying to also balance college. 

I don't know about "best" memory, as it would probably be a combination of the small moments with my friends goofing off at the local fields, but the one that still seems surreal today?

Chicago, 2010. We were entered as a semi-pro team and as the NPPL was at the beginning of its death throes, there weren't enough teams to run the division on its own, so we got folded into the pro-brackets. Had a couple guys on our team that are still playing pro to this day who were incredible to watch play, got to shoot Rocky Knuth, and get absoluted blasted by Marcus Nielsen as he flew down the snake faster than any man that tall should be able to do. We got waxed all weekend, but still a cool experience to look back on.

I actually got back out onto the field a month or so ago, and a lot of it came flooding back. As I start my new job making a little bit better money, I think I'm going to at least try and go out once a month or so. I miss it.

Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

I go through simunition training at work on occasion, so I still "play paintball" a little bit but I can't get too wild with it.

We were doing sims training at a school one time, and the guy in front of me started taking fire. I fell into an old habit of dropping into a power stance and snapping out around his right side to return fire. 

The SRT Lieutenant praised me for reacting with the correct form, and a couple weeks later encouraged me to try out for the team, but really it was just an old paintball habit coming out LOL

Edited by usafpilot07 - 09 December 2016 at 9:47pm
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
MichiganMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichiganMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2016 at 1:41pm
When did you first start?: 99 or 2000 I was 16 at the time. 

First gun?: A rebel 2 that I got off a friend that I had to fix , still have it.

All the guns you own/owned?: Tippmann 98 custom x3 all still work. One with cyclone feed one with air expansion and flatline and one stock. 68 pro carbine. old tippmann pump. Rebel 2 . a pistol forgot who made it. and the Crossover. 

Last game (if applicable): monster game at hell survivors 2016

What gun/gear in your opinion changed paintball for the worst/better?: I would say the 98 fo rthe better only because it game a great intro gun that can grow with the player .

Any other memories you want to share?:  my first time ever playing I used a friends pump talon , thing maybe shot 20 feet. Made me really appreciate my 98 when I got it. Also in the summer of 2015 we played the Tippmann world challenge and we were outnumbered 2 to 1 my group 5 guys that uses only Tippmann markers Held the castle from the whole enemy team for the first hour and a half , it was so much fun.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic