Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adulting is hard... but I'm going to own a house!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adulting is hard... but I'm going to own a house!
    Posted: 07 January 2017 at 6:09pm
So we plowed through this whole home buying process about as fast as possible.  We met with our realtor mid-december.  Went to look at houses Dec 31st, and made an offer on one the next day.  Offer got accepted, and we had an inspection done this week.  So far, so good, and we plan on closing Feb 15th. 

Holy crap.  

The wife and I are real excited to get out of this rental duplex.  The landlord is a great guy that I'd love to have a beer with, but he just does not care about this house.  

Here she is!

and the pride and joy of any man's house... the bar!  The wood paneling will have to go at some point

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2017 at 7:38pm
Outstanding brother, congratulations!

The house we're renting has wood paneling in it, my wife just painted over it rather than replace anything. Shockingly, it doesn't look half bad simply painted.
?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2017 at 3:14pm
Paint that paneling! We have some in our living room. Painted the whole room a nice light yellow (Woodrow Wilson Maize from the Lowe's heritage series) and it looks fantastic. Just give it a light sand or wash it well with TSP to strip any wax off prior to painting.

Congrats on the house! Looks cute. Make sure to call dibs on a spot for a reloading bench as well since you're shooting regularly.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 4:35am
Oh hell no. Leave that bar as is. Get some snazzy lights for it
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:07am
Cool! congrats! 

I have painted paneling before, it does well, but can scratch if you push furniture against it. Another thing you can do if you are willing to make a mess while you do it is to use drywall compound and fill in the seams in the paneling and then paint it, makes it look like drywall! Much cheaper than replacing it. And it holds up fine just be sure to use drywall tape on the areas between the boards as they could separate when it gets cold outside. 
They tremble at my name...
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 8:31pm
That is a beautiful home, the bar is something that Ron Burgundy would be proud of.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2017 at 7:51pm
Inspection fixes are all signed!  Onto closing.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2017 at 8:22pm
Congratulations! We bought our first house at the beginning of June. Been doing some renovations of our own. Took out the popcorn ceiling in two rooms. I removed/plastered the orange peel texture in one of the guest rooms/my game room. Having your own place is nice so you don't worry about being too loud or having loud footsteps above you or in the stairs in the hallways.

We still have to do the master bedroom. Not sure how deep we will get into that one. It's about as big as the two guest rooms combined and if we remove the texture, it is going to suck. I would also like to at least paint my bathroom and give it a more modern look. It's great experience. You learn a lot and know you can do it better the next time. I removed a ceiling fan and patched the hole and put in a new light fixture in a different spot. Looks great.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Congratulations! We bought our first house at the beginning of June. Been doing some renovations of our own. Took out the popcorn ceiling in two rooms.

Please tell me you checked it for asbestos first.

Having your own place is nice so you don't worry about being too loud or having loud footsteps above you or in the stairs in the hallways.

Until you have kids. Then it's nothing but "clomp clomp clomp" all day and night.

Quote We still have to do the master bedroom. Not sure how deep we will get into that one. It's about as big as the two guest rooms combined and if we remove the texture, it is going to suck. I would also like to at least paint my bathroom and give it a more modern look.

Master bed/bath are always the last to get upgraded it seems. We only have to paint the guest bedroom and then our bedroom will be the only one with original wall colors left. Funny how that happens.

Quote It's great experience. You learn a lot and know you can do it better the next time. I removed a ceiling fan and patched the hole and put in a new light fixture in a different spot. Looks great.

Why would you ever remove a ceiling fan?!?!? We have them in virtually every room of our house. They're a godsend year round! In the summer, they keep the house cooler without increasing the electric bill by as much as dropping the thermostat would. In the winter, you reverse the direction and it keeps the heat circulated instead of just sitting in a layer at the ceiling. Add in the fact that they give that little hum of white noise to help you sleep. Can't live without them myself.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2017 at 4:10pm
Congratulations! Buying a home can be a huge pain in the rear, but I swear the first time you wake up in a house that is truly YOURS is a great feeling.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2017 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Congratulations! We bought our first house at the beginning of June. Been doing some renovations of our own. Took out the popcorn ceiling in two rooms.

Please tell me you checked it for asbestos first.
House was built in 1999. Shouldn't be an issue. 
Having your own place is nice so you don't worry about being too loud or having loud footsteps above you or in the stairs in the hallways.

Until you have kids. Then it's nothing but "clomp clomp clomp" all day and night.
We got at least a few years or more before we start that.
Quote We still have to do the master bedroom. Not sure how deep we will get into that one. It's about as big as the two guest rooms combined and if we remove the texture, it is going to suck. I would also like to at least paint my bathroom and give it a more modern look.

Master bed/bath are always the last to get upgraded it seems. We only have to paint the guest bedroom and then our bedroom will be the only one with original wall colors left. Funny how that happens.
While we are still getting settled into the house, it is nice to go to a room that isn't in shambles every night.
Quote It's great experience. You learn a lot and know you can do it better the next time. I removed a ceiling fan and patched the hole and put in a new light fixture in a different spot. Looks great.

Why would you ever remove a ceiling fan?!?!? We have them in virtually every room of our house. They're a godsend year round! In the summer, they keep the house cooler without increasing the electric bill by as much as dropping the thermostat would. In the winter, you reverse the direction and it keeps the heat circulated instead of just sitting in a layer at the ceiling. Add in the fact that they give that little hum of white noise to help you sleep. Can't live without them myself.
I absolutely hate that she wanted to remove the ceiling fan. My game room doesn't have a permanent light or ceiling fan, so I will likely repurpose it in my room if I decide I like the color scheme. I think every bedroom should have a ceiling fan. It's just convenient. The real reason she wanted to get rid of it was because she bought a yoga hammock and wants it installed in there. I'll have to go install a 4x4 in the attic above the room and put some eyebolts through the ceiling. This is going where the fan was.

DaveEllis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2017 at 11:52pm
Don't change that bar, I love the old school basement bar look.  It feels so Midwest down there.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 6:33am
The the physical bar will for sure stay the same.  Some of the paneling along the walls will change.  The entire basement is covered in that.  I agree with the midwest feel, and I plan on maintaining that.  In fact, my them for decorating the bar area is going to be Miller High Life.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 11:16am

The real reason she wanted to get rid of it was because she bought a yoga hammock and wants it installed in there.

Had to Google "yoga hammock." So, basically a glorified sex swing?

PCF! Highlife Represent!!!! My go-to el-cheapo in a bottle. In a can it's Natty Boh or PBR these days.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

The real reason she wanted to get rid of it was because she bought a yoga hammock and wants it installed in there.

Had to Google "yoga hammock." So, basically a glorified sex swing?

PCF! Highlife Represent!!!! My go-to el-cheapo in a bottle. In a can it's Natty Boh or PBR these days.

My swill of choice was always High Life, but drinking Yuengling makes me feel like a good American. Also I swear the local taste is better.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 9:46pm
I plan on having my kegerator filled with homebrew most of the time.  

High life has memories attached to it.  My dad has memories of his grandpa drinking it in his basement years ago, and those same moments have been passed on.  Plus, I live in Milwaukee, so it just fits.  

Mehs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 7:52pm
Wood paneling is midwest A.F, I love it. Grats on the home purchase!
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
A-5 08 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

The mob rules!!! Get the pitchforks!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 12:19pm
Buying a house is great. Its so nice to be able to do whatever you want. Congrats.
HershelFes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HershelFes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:26am
Originally posted by dA-5 08 dA-5 08 wrote:

Buying a house is great. Its so nice to be able to do whatever you want. Congrats.

That's a nice first house!

Edited by HershelFes - 20 January 2020 at 6:12am
steve200 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Aluminum foil enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:38pm
I remember you, its Barretm82, I know it has been a long time, hope you are doing well. Had a few beers. take care bud. bye for now.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic