Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brief Waltz Down Memory Lane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brief Waltz Down Memory Lane
    Posted: 07 January 2017 at 7:46pm
So the students are on mid-semester break right now, which means we have almost a month of doing nothing but checking buildings and backing up the local village PD on things as trivial as traffic stops. We're always looking for some sort of distraction.

A while back, my Lt. and I were discussing paintball, and me mentioned he had some gear stored in his garage. Well, out of the blue the other night, he brought it all in.

He had a few Spyder clones, but what interested me the most was the old Brass Eagle Stingray II that he said belonged to his wife.
Much to my delight, his wife had never cleaned the damn thing. Like....ever. The bold was actually seized, gummed up with crusted paint, rust, and who knows what else.

I tore it apart, cleaned it, oiled it, and screwed in the tank he had (Hydro expired in '08) and sure enough, it didn't leak. As I did that, he raided our evidence room and found a handful of paintballs confiscated somewhere along the line. So, we stood outside in four degrees trying to blast trees with cheap, warped paint.

We started paintball with Stingrays and Talons back in my day, and I haven't seen a functional Stingray in....a long time. I thought about offering to buy it from him just for kicks, but I still have enough unused tippmanns laying around that I'd never be able to justify THAT particular expenditure.

I may have actually made some professional headway with this little endeavor too- as he watched me tear into the gear to clean and fix it all, he passed a comment along the lines of "You seem to enjoy this sort of thing, it looks like we'll have to send you to armorer's school."

TL:DR- I got to play with a Brass Eagle Stingray II from my childhood days.
?

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2017 at 8:20pm
Hah.  I started with a stingray II.  I'd love to see one again.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

Hah.  I started with a stingray II.  I'd love to see one again.

It was like meeting an old friend for coffee. Except instead of coffee, it was gun oil and stale paint.

?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2017 at 3:18pm
Niiiice! We used to take those, Raptors, and even Talons on trade at the 'Den back in my college days. We'd give guys $20 towards a new marker for Stingray-IIs which would ultimately wound up sold on eBay by the lot. Raptors were cleaned up, fixed up with after-market seals and parts, and put up on the used gun wall for those who couldn't afford anything better. Talons were punishment. If you were caught not doing your job right, or just slacking off, you were invited to take a "field day" at the big 100-200 person outlaw games we ran. When you got there, you were told you got to play instead of just reffing.... and then you were handed a Talon and had your other gear confiscated for the day. Fun times!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 4:39am
I had a similar experience. Found an older 98C with 20oz and hopper for $40. I wanted to take it home but had no reason to.
SandMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More like Rip Van Winkle AmIRite?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 2:47pm
Haha... I should break out my equipment and look it over. I think I gave away the AutoMag, but I still have a PGP, a Phantom pump, and the Crossover that Tippmann sent me a few years ago, which I only managed to play with once.
Real Men Love Cheeses
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 11:08pm
I've been contemplating getting back into the game lately.  I'll have to get a rental and check out the local fields to see if the scene is worth getting my own gear again.  I think I got rid of all my old stuff, or it's back at my parents' house still.  If they do still have it it's all in pieces and probably not enough of them left to be functional, so might as well be gone.  
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 6:20am
I've been talked into playing again by one of the other officers I work with. One of the RAs we have on campus puts together a program where he takes his residents out to a local field, and when he found out that I used to play on a regular basis, he invited me along. My partner on overnights is also a player, so we're going to go along, both as a chance to sling some paint and as a 'community policing' gesture.

What could possibly go wrong?
?

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 9:19am
You guys should totally play, paintball is a blast!
They tremble at my name...
SandMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More like Rip Van Winkle AmIRite?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 12:07pm
The one time I've played in the last decade was a complete nightmare. The fields were overfull, tons of clueless kids, and the whole thing was just one big cluster. It was so saturated with players, people were just trying to take cover and fire from their starting positions because moving anywhere would draw fire from a dozen different angles.
Real Men Love Cheeses
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 3:12pm
My local field is pretty decent. Fairly old-school (as in late 90s/early2000s when I was at my peak playing) Pallet and spool speedball fields, junker cars as bunkers in some woods courses, and yes, it even has an extant hyperball field! There's another field about a half-hour away that draws all the tournament kiddos with their inflatable fields and the like, so this one tends to be straight rec ball. I totally love it.

The school I'm stationed at has a paintball club. One of the sponsor teachers found out that I play/played and I've been invited to come along on the next organized game. I'm going to take the DMLCD'ed E-Bolt '98 out with me and dress in some old gear to play the "sleeper" card on everyone.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
A-5 08 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

The mob rules!!! Get the pitchforks!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 12:08pm
Brass eagle! Mine chopped paint so bad, but I remember it fondly. I traded it after I got my 98. Strange to think that was 15 years ago.
steve200 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Aluminum foil enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:43pm
Hey Reb.
Remember you, how have you been?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic