Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ohhhh, pretty!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ohhhh, pretty!
    Posted: 14 April 2017 at 8:50pm

Savage 720. Licensed Browning A5 clone. 8xxx serial number range. She's purdy! Picked up from the LGS today.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 10:15pm
I love the engraving work that's on the old guns.  Should be fun to shoot.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

I love the engraving work that's on the old guns.  Should be fun to shoot.

Oh boy is it! Everyone on Curios and Relics Central on FB was all "You're gonna hurt after shooting that, blah blah blah!" But as per usual, they were full of crap.

The long recoil action takes some getting used to. The push is softer but longer than a striker/hammer fired shotgun, and less abrupt, but more forceful than a gas operated or kinetic/impulse action.

Really like it. I've really found that my 03FFL is being used more for old "working man's guns" than milsurps anymore. That Remington 878 Automaster I've got, this Savage 720, old Remington .22s, etc.

Edited by tallen702 - 15 April 2017 at 11:27pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 8:58am
A friend of mine has one. Loading it is fun because it does some weird thing where it closes the bolt automatically. I do hate the follower though, I tend to pinch my thumb.

His gun is fussy with ammo. He has full power rings in his so a lot doesn't cycle. Winchester "heavy lead" cheap Wal-Mart bulk cycles it so stock up.

I think they are a breeze to shoot. Almost mushy recoil. I really like them, I've considered buying Israeli surplus from Sarco but can't justify it.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 12:22pm
Was looking at getting a 18" barrel for my 870. Then wanted a semi so started looking at Mossberg 930's, then wanted the best and was looking at the Benelli M4. Then I realized I didn't want to fork over that kind of money, and now I still have a 26" 870.

Anyway, I'm jelly. I love new pew pew days.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 4:36pm
Dang that's nice, and it's just going to get better looking too.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

His gun is fussy with ammo. He has full power rings in his so a lot doesn't cycle. Winchester "heavy lead" cheap Wal-Mart bulk cycles it so stock up.

Depending on whether he's running a true A5, a Savage 720, or a Rem Model 11, he can swap out the friction ring configuration in a snap to handle light loads. Mine is the original A5 system with just two rings. Later model Remington Model 11s use three smaller rings. Anyway, it's jut a matter of slipping the barrel and forearm off, swapping one ring to the receiver side of the spring, and slapping it back together.

Mine wouldn't fully cycle 100% reliably on some light hand loads I set up, but neither would my 878, so it's more of a "man these are light loads!" situation and less of a particular issue with the gun itself. It'd cycle just fine with Winchester Super-X "X-Tra Light" #8s though.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Was looking at getting a 18" barrel for my 870. Then wanted a semi so started looking at Mossberg 930's, then wanted the best and was looking at the Benelli M4. Then I realized I didn't want to fork over that kind of money, and now I still have a 26" 870.

Anyway, I'm jelly. I love new pew pew days.

03FFL man! $30 for 3 years and then you don't renew so everything goes off the books!
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Depending on whether he's running a true A5, a Savage 720, or a Rem Model 11, he can swap out the friction ring configuration in a snap to handle light loads. Mine is the original A5 system with just two rings. Later model Remington Model 11s use three smaller rings. Anyway, it's jut a matter of slipping the barrel and forearm off, swapping one ring to the receiver side of the spring, and slapping it back together.

Mine wouldn't fully cycle 100% reliably on some light hand loads I set up, but neither would my 878, so it's more of a "man these are light loads!" situation and less of a particular issue with the gun itself. It'd cycle just fine with Winchester Super-X "X-Tra Light" #8s though.

He's running full power rings, I assume it's in case of zombies.

You handload shells? Yikes. I haven't had the motivation for handgun loading for months.

Edited by SSOK - 16 April 2017 at 8:49pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 9:43am

You handload shells? Yikes. I haven't had the motivation for handgun loading for months.

Yep, Lee Load-All II. Unfortunately my favorite powder is no longer made, so I have to find a new one, but I've been loading 21.1gr of IMR PB over assorted primers (depending on what hulls I'm loading) with 1 to 1-1/8oz of #9 chilled shot. Usually I'm running Rem Fig 8 or Rem TGT-12 wads unless otherwise specified. I can crank out 100 rounds in an hour from depriming to full crimp. I'll likely trade up to a MEC 600 in a few years as I get more time to shoot.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 1:26pm
A friend of mine used his Remington Model 11 for years deer hunting. I recall it being an interesting experience running Brenneke's through it. Wouldn't want to do too much of that. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 5:17pm
A Challenger Appears!

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 10:46am
Have you guys seen the YouTube channel ForgottenWeapons? He has some fascinating guns on there.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Have you guys seen the YouTube channel ForgottenWeapons? He has some fascinating guns on there.

Yep! I watch Ian's show regularly. I especially like the slow-motion videos he does of things like long-recoil weapons, etc.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 1:57am
Since we got another gun thread going, I'll mention I just picked up a Ruger Vaquero! 5.5" bbl, .357 mag. 

I've been wanting a Colt-a-Clone for a while now! Something about a single action revolver has just spoken to me since I was a wee tyke. I know getting a .357 over a .45 is almost treasonous as far as SAA clones go, but it's a more practical round for what I want. That is to say, I went with the magnum because I already have a S&W 686, which is a .357, and it makes sense to me to minimize ammo diversity. Plus, from what I understand, .38 special is a popular cowboy action shooting caliber because the cost of reloading is much cheaper than .45 Colt. I've been wanting to get into CAS for a bit, now. I just need to grab another one like this one (except maybe blued, because matched sets are boring), grab a good lever gun and a good coach gun, and I can cowboy LARP!

Also, "Magnum" just sounds cooler than "Long Colt."
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:42am
.357/.38spl is far and away much more economical than .45LC both in regards to newly manufactured ammunition and reloads. That's a nice piece to pick up and I'm sure you'll enjoy it quite a bit! It'll certainly be much more fun to shoot than my buddy's S&W PD360 in .357 too!

I've never understood the Colt-cult myself. So many of the clones are just as good, if not better than the Colt name-brand stuff at a much lower price. There's a very good reason Colt relied so heavily on Gov't contracts to keep from going under. The price simply doesn't justify the product.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:17pm
I bought Austrian Tupperware. It's a sweet piece, but still love my Gold Cup better.

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Since we got another gun thread going, I'll mention I just picked up a Ruger Vaquero! 5.5" bbl, .357 mag. 

I've been wanting a Colt-a-Clone for a while now! Something about a single action revolver has just spoken to me since I was a wee tyke. I know getting a .357 over a .45 is almost treasonous as far as SAA clones go, but it's a more practical round for what I want. That is to say, I went with the magnum because I already have a S&W 686, which is a .357, and it makes sense to me to minimize ammo diversity. Plus, from what I understand, .38 special is a popular cowboy action shooting caliber because the cost of reloading is much cheaper than .45 Colt. I've been wanting to get into CAS for a bit, now. I just need to grab another one like this one (except maybe blued, because matched sets are boring), grab a good lever gun and a good coach gun, and I can cowboy LARP!

Also, "Magnum" just sounds cooler than "Long Colt."

I'm a big fan of my Ruger New Model Blackhawk.  Trigger sooooo smooth.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

I bought Austrian Tupperware. It's a sweet piece, but still love my Gold Cup better.

NB4 "LOL GLOCKNADE!"

Never been a fan of Glocks myself, but it's more a style thing than a function thing. Looks good!
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 4:15pm
The second pistol I ever owned was a second hand Glock 17.  Good pistol.  I sold it to fund a new Glock 23 about 12 years ago.  Thanks to an employee discount, I walked out of the store with the new pistol, Fobus holster and a box of 50 Winchester Ranger JHP ammo to the tune of $430.  Pretty decent deal.  I prefer function over form (except for Hipoint pistols - those are dog-ugly) and Glock makes a good gun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic