Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of leaving my job, but I'll burn my emplo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of leaving my job, but I'll burn my emplo
    Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:43pm
I work in construction management.

My employer is an OK, but not great company. Decent potential, kinda low pay, free insurance, no 401k, and the like.

My projects have about two months left. If I leave now I'm kinda screwing over my company.

At the same time S will HTF soon. I don't want to be around for it. I won't get fired or in trouble but a lot of people will be angry.

Am I a bad person for leaving? Will this bite me later on for having a bad reputation? I'm putting feelers out now.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:33pm
I experienced a similar situation about a year ago. I don't know your personal situation, how quickly you can find other employment opportunities, how tight cashflow is and that kind of thing; with that said I recommend moving on, or at the very least begin looking for new jobs. That by itself could help eat up much of that 2 month period you mentioned.

I knew the likely outcome if I chose to leave that job. It would likely cause the store that I managed to close, possibly cost some people their jobs, and put a lot of pressure on the levels of management above my position. It sucked, and I couldn't make the feeling of: "I'm responsible for these people" go away. On the other hand, I hated waking up and going to that position every day. I had no time for myself or my wife. I made okay money, but nothing spectacular. I was always stressed out and full of dread and anxiety. I hated the management that I reported to, because they never accepted blame, and wouldn't agree to any idea that would make their lives even slightly uncomfortable - even if it meant screwing me and my store over on a regular basis. Eventually, after a particularly bad exchange between myself and that particular manager - I had too much. I sent a message to the owner and demanded to meet with them as soon as possible, and I quit.

The store I left ended up closing down about 7 months after I left. They have another location and most of the employees simply went to that other location. My wife and I have no kids and handle our money quite well, so I simply took a month to myself and to begin looking for new job opportunities. I didn't like the way that it ended there, but I've never regretted the choice that I made. If something is clearly broken - let the pieces fall where they may. You can't hold back a river all by yourself forever. I took a risk, but I don't feel like a shell of a human being anymore. I didn't like myself when I was at that job - don't waste your life living like that. Life is far too short for that crap.

Anyways - I wish you the best. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you look at the long-term impacts as well. Is this period of uneasiness temporary? Every job is going to suck once in a while. Is this occurring because there are deeper more systematic issues at play? Your job is your responsibility, but it's not your organization and you cannot fix it if the owners and higher-ups are unwilling to listen and try new ideas. That's not something you have the power to fix. At that point - the consequences and fallout are no longer your responsibility. Yes - It still sucks on a lot of levels, but so does hating yourself when you look in the mirror in the morning.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

I don't know your personal situation, how quickly you can find other employment opportunities, how tight cashflow is and that kind of thing; with that said I recommend moving on, or at the very least begin looking for new jobs. That by itself could help eat up much of that 2 month period you mentioned.

I'm thinking along similar lines. It's going to take you a bit of time from the point applying to accepting a position with another company. It doesn't hurt to look, ever. I'm extremely happy with my company right now, but I keep my resume floating out there. I interview regularly, and entertain job offers on a monthly basis. If nothing else, it gives you perspective on the job you currently have. Greener pastures always sound nice, but you never really know if they're actually greener until you get through the gate. Interviewing and seeing what other companies are willing to pay, etc. gets you a good look at what the current work environment and compensation structure is really like. For me, the eye opener was that I make a good chunk more than a similar position with larger competitors of ours. To make my kind of money, I'd have to be the next "rank" up in their corporate structure.

As for leaving at an inopportune time, there's no such thing as a "good" time to leave a company as far as they are concerned. People leaving will always throw a wrench in the works regardless of the situation. If they're mad at you for changing jobs, then they're misdirecting their anger. They should be focusing on what THEY needed to do better to keep you if you are that important to them.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:26pm
Why not just give them 2 months notice.  That way they don't try to throw more projects at you that you'll have to worry about being unfinished when your current load is done.  Bonus, if you're really on the fence about leaving now or later, giving them the heads up now may let them decide to let you go early and you can get out of there with a clean conscience to boot.  
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 11:07pm
Screw the bossman
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:24pm
From experience-   Job change can come back and haunt you, nature of the new information overload culture. I wandered jobs post military till I found what I was comfortable with. Just make a folder with explinations from your perspective on why you left previous employment(s) and include a condensed version in your resume if you feel there is bad blood out there. Job transit is a norm anymore as they expect your loyalty, and you never know if and when you will get 'the news' of your leaving, nature of business. Be honest in your resignation letter, consider the timeline employer will look at as it comes to projects and needs, and maybe a 'better' offer will result, always keep a copy of that resignation letter for the next interview(s) to go along with the explanation to potential employer on why you left on that resume.

Just follow what you want to do, enjoy your job, being miserable at a job you hate just for the pay and bennies, is not a good way to live. BTDT.
steve200 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Aluminum foil enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:35pm
SSOK, being there, I had a fish tank, it relaxed me. just staying. Don't let it get to you, I got a great job after that. so. do no worry look around.
Nice to see you still on Tippmann, take care, bye for now
Steve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic