Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ssok's axe thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ssok's axe thread
    Posted: 01 August 2017 at 9:03pm
I've recently started working on axes and since we still have a forum I'll share my dealings.

Modern axes are junk unless you buy Sweedish. Bad steel, bad profiles, etc.

So I drove to horrible freight and spent $16 for a firemans hatchet.

Lop that spike off

I ground the poll square and flat-topped the bit. Going for a Norlund inspired Hudson Bay profile

I then did a quick filing of the edge. Sharpened easy so I would assume soft but the results after chopping pine roots say brittle:

I ground the edge back to the base of the chip. Once I resharpen if I get more chips or quick edge loss I may attempt a hillbilly heat treat.
ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 9:14pm
Needs larger pictures...
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 11:16pm
I've got a Wetterlings down in the shop. Likely going to use it tomorrow afternoon. Have to take down a few saplings in the side yard and my saw ate itself not long ago.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 11:17pm
Also, you could case harden that sucker. Just need bone, charcoal, and a potter's kiln.....
Shub View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I don’t have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 12:11am
For the small amount of axing that I need to do for my little backyard fire ring, I bought a Fiskars axe from Amazon that has been well worth the money.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

For the small amount of axing that I need to do for my little backyard fire ring, I bought a Fiskars axe from Amazon that has been well worth the money.

You know, those things get consistently decent reviews from a lot of the outdoors forums. Never used one myself, but I hear they're not half-bad by any means.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 9:04pm
GFB splitting maul
Grandpa's True Temper
Grandpas's something
Wetterlings something

Edited by Eville - 02 August 2017 at 9:04pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 9:28pm
I have an old True Temper, I think Kelly since they were passed around. Fantastic bit.
Shub View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I don’t have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 10:48am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

You know, those things get consistently decent reviews from a lot of the outdoors forums. Never used one myself, but I hear they're not half-bad by any means.

It's been great for me. I think the biggest gripe from enthusiasts is the oddball design makes it difficult to impossible to replace the handle if you break it...although Fiskars warranty is supposed to be pretty good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic