Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Life Thread v2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 34>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 3:00am
really getting into mycology, also I'm unemployed
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 8:00pm
Got me a kayak. Gonna use it to try to drag a jon boat behind me and salvage what I can. A stupid plan for a stupid man! If the current is too strong, I'll abort.

Also, before it's mentioned, I'm aware of the redundancy of trying to pull a bigger boat with a little kayak, but there are a lot of factors that have been taken into account that make this seem the most reasonable thing at the time. Everything is, of course, subject to change.

Edited by DeTrevni - 29 August 2017 at 8:56pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 9:53pm
Where are you staying? Are your parents not flooded? Why not paddle the jon boat? How's the Skylark?
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 10:25pm
I'm about an hour out of Houston now, where my parents live. The Buick is flooded. As is my FR-S, and my Triumph Bonneville.

As for the jonboat, it's old and busted, and me plus gear would probably put it under. This is strictly last ditch. Once we get there, the plan may (and probably will) change.

Anyway, I've been wanting a kayak. Got a little 10' fishing sit-in.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 6:33am
Good luck Don. Give us a shout if you need anything. I'm hoping you have a good homeowner's policy that'll cover stuff. If not that, flood insurance. Friends of mine who lived through the floods in WV last year said to make sure to weigh all your financial reimbursement options. IIRC, you could take FEMA payouts, or you could take insurance payouts, but not both. Don't quote me on that though. Good luck buddy, and if you need anything we can provide, just give us a shout.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 9:58am
FEMA will payout even if someone has private insurance?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

FEMA will payout even if someone has private insurance?
IIRC, during the WV floods it was either-or. I could be wrong though.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 7:14pm
And also, keep your ear to the ground about the other subsidies that DON'T interfere with insurance pay-outs.

During Matthew last year, my part of the state was out of power for about a week. FEMA came in about a week later and handed out pretty substantial food vouchers as long as your income was under a certain level (and that level was relatively high, IIRC). I still kick myself for not going and getting mine to restock the two fridges worth of stuff I lost.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 9:30pm

SLOW going in that leaky jonboat, but it did indeed work. Water was too deep to wade in, so the kayak worked as well. It was roundabout, but it did what was needed.

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Be careful with that Colorado.  My CVs keep going to hell and taking the 4x4 with em.  I'm about to take it in for, I think, the 4th axle replacement in under 3 years from different shops.
Yeah, I'm finding where some corners were cut where front end damage was repaired by the guy I bought the truck from.  One of the glaring problems I just fixed today was the missing fender liner and splash shield for the front left fender.  Bought aftermarket replacements because I didn't want to dig around in a salvage yard somewhere.  Some of the left over damage made it hard to line the holes up for the fasteners.  At least I didn't suffer any injuries getting it together.  Did find some rust on the fender under the plastic flares.  Joy.  Oh well.  The penalty you pay for buying used.  I have been reading up on the 4x4 issues as well as a few vids.  Hopefully I'll skate by on any CV problems for now.

Edited by StormyKnight - 15 September 2017 at 10:05am
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2017 at 6:49pm
Hmm, well I'm not sure what time I drifted away from this place since I was active as hell at least at the start of university, so I'll assume I dropped off somewhere near the end of schooling.

I moved to the USA for a couple of internships in Boulder and then Seattle before moving into full time work in San Francisco for the past....5 years or so? I've hopped a few jobs and am now a Senior Product Designer at one of the big social media companies we all waste our time on at work. This forum is definitely at least partially responsible for my interest in the internet/ internet culture and it becoming my career.

Last year I finished paying off my student debt and was able to start saving more properly (but still suck at it.) With that, I bought my first motorcycle in January of this year and have been loving it. It's a great way to explore California, and lane splitting is legal here so traffic doesn't really matter when it gets backed up.

Those are the big milestones I guess, no spouse or kids or anything here, and I'll never afford a house in this city/ have no idea where I'll live next, so I'm alright with that.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Those are the big milestones I guess, no spouse or kids or anything here, and I'll never afford a house in this city/ have no idea where I'll live next, so I'm alright with that.

DC!!!! Shorty, Me, Picasso, and Carr live here after all. ;)

More importantly, there's a lot of social media companies over this way as well. Nothing like CA, but enough that it's a sizable chunk of industry here.
Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 10:09pm
Wow, shorty,Picasso,Carr, some guys I haven't heard about in a long time.
Say hi to them for me Tallen, someday I'll give you all the details.
thanks man.
Steve.
Barretm82 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
will poop in your shoes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barretm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 10:29pm
Some people here know, I just don't want to name them. No worries, just you know.
Still drinking too much, later peeps.
Steve.
(Its a bit tuff out here, that's all).
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2017 at 7:38am
Beginning of this school year has sucked. Training a new manager on top of a ton of changes in the menu, stations, layout, and wares has made it a real challenge. Add in the fact that I have to go help my old AFSD today (labor day) and it's getting irksome.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 7:45am
My mom had a stroke on Wednesday.  She's ok.  Cognitively she's doing great, some wires got crossed, but she's all there which is the biggest relief.  Physically there's some work to do.  Her left side was affected, but she has movement, she's walking unassisted, and doing stairs.  

There's a long road of recovery and therapy, but there's a lot to be thankful for.  It could have been 1000x worse for various reasons and we're all focusing on the positives.  

I took this event as the motivation to finally get the tattoo I wanted for my mom for years.

Edited by procarbinefreak - 16 September 2017 at 7:52am
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 5:09pm
So Detrevni, SitRep?
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 8:08pm
So... It's not great. Got 2' of water in the house. Got the Buick fixed, but they drained water out of it for a week. $4,000 in repairs on it, and my insurance on it lapsed due to a mixup. My Scion FR-S got totalled, and I'm replacing it with a Nissan Frontier. I gotta admit, it's not as fun as the Scion, but I love that damn truck. I'm getting a field adjuster out to check out the Triumph Bonneville on Thursday. All the insurance companies have been super busy. Got my flood insurance adjuster to check out the place last weekend, so I can start getting rid of stuff. The documentation will be absolutely insane. People keep taking stuff out of my front yard, so I'm worried I'll get hassled by my insurance company about that. My Etek3 got flooded. I was gonna try to fix it when I found out it got stolen. My washer and dryer and an old busted guitar got stolen as well. I can file for an advance from my insurance company, and FEMA is offering a couple of bucks, but I'm hearing actual financial compensation may be months. I don't have the money on hand to pay for any repairs. I guess I'll consider a loan, huh? I'm living with my aunt and uncle for now, but that's just not enough space, and all the local contactors seem to have a waiting list. I have no idea how long I'll be homeless. This sucks lots, my dudes.

Edited by DeTrevni - 16 September 2017 at 8:10pm

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 7:36am
Balls
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 6:26am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Oh, and I broke up with my girlfriend tonight.

Guys, I'm tired. I'm just tired.

All the more reason everyone needs to pitch in on the "Hookers and Blow for DeTrevni" campaign. (AKA, DeTrevni survived Harvey and we should give him a hand)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 34>
  Share Topic