Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Life Thread v2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 34>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 5:55am
We're in the process of updating our finished basement. We've ordered our new carpet and pad, set our install date with the install company, and have gotten to work on the prerequisites to the carpet install. I spent this past Sunday ripping out the kitchen that was down there (full size fridge, full size sink, full suite of cabinets, hood fan, and apartment sized stove) only to have the truck I rented from Home Depot to haul everything to the dump get stuck on my perfectly flat and level side yard because the drive tires were completely bald. Too my neighbor with his mini Kubota to drag it out of there. The tires literally slipped on wet grass to the point that it wouldn't move.

Spent last night patching holes, cleaning any dirt buildup from over the years, and mopping the underlayment so that I can paint before the carpet guys show up in a week and a half.

My 4-year old son has started reading rather proficiently as well. The kid is devouring the Bob Books series ("See Spot Run" for the modern age) and all kinds of other stuff. We sat down two nights ago for a "movie night" at the house and showed him "Brave" for the first time. I didn't tell him what movie we were watching, I don't think he's ever come across the word brave before, but when it came up on the screen, he got it in one. Proud of that kid.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 4:31am
I get to go golfing at work today. Woo
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 10:23pm
My eldest son graduates high school June 2019, he's on delayed entry, Marine Corps and leaves August 2019.  

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 10:43am
Jelly.

Camping went great, was able to get the Taco dirty :)
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2018 at 11:15pm
Here's my dashcam footage from my trip on the Denali Park Road from Saturday. A little background, this is the only road in Denali National Park. It's 92.5 miles from start to finish and is usually only accessible by bus, foot, or bicycle. Every year, they hold a lottery for permits to drive it yourself on one of the 4 final days of the season. I was lucky enough to win a permit this year and got to see some of the most amazing landscapes on earth. The park has everything from low forests to high mountain passes and 2 shallow water crossings. We saw several caribou, moose, grizzlies, and Dall's sheep along the way. The video is pretty long since the road is almost 100 miles at an average of 25mph, but I sped the video up 2x and got the length down to an hour and a half. Enjoy!

For extra sketchy bits and some of the better views, you can skip to 34:45 and 58:45.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 6:40pm
Settled back in Phoenix on Sunday. The job search is going great, one offer, another I got invited to a second interview.

Going camping this weekend with the g/f and her daughter.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

I haven't heard of that one yet, I'll have to check it out.

It's the Hurt boys from season 2 doing dive-mining under waterfalls in Alaska.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2018 at 12:04am
I haven't heard of that one yet, I'll have to check it out.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 9:22pm

Seriously!  I am going to miss watching them make the same stupid decisions year after year then exclaim "Can't we get a frickin break?!" when the only possible result happens.  

Todd: Do this thing!
Everyone else: That's going to break it
Todd: Shut up I'm in charge
*thing breaks
Todd: OMG I can't believe that broke!  We're cursed!

That's what Gold Rush: Whitewater is for.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

I went to the town that inspired South Park (Fairplay, CO).

Makes me think of Gold Rush, the only reality show I watch.  The most annoying crew on the show had a mine there.

First most joyous occasion in my life: The birth of my son.
Second most joyous occasion in my life: The Hoffman crew calls it quits for good.

Seriously!  I am going to miss watching them make the same stupid decisions year after year then exclaim "Can't we get a frickin break?!" when the only possible result happens.  

Todd: Do this thing!
Everyone else: That's going to break it
Todd: Shut up I'm in charge
*thing breaks
Todd: OMG I can't believe that broke!  We're cursed!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 6:21am

Makes me think of Gold Rush, the only reality show I watch.  The most annoying crew on the show had a mine there.

First most joyous occasion in my life: The birth of my son.
Second most joyous occasion in my life: The Hoffman crew calls it quits for good.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:31am

I haven't seen it, so I don't know. But that definitely fits the aesthetic of the town. I actually kinda dug the place. Also, the whole area is beautiful.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:26am

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Omar's coming!

I just watched that show the beginning of this year.  So good!
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:18am
I went to the town that inspired South Park (Fairplay, CO), and commissioned a guy make me a custom cowboy hat. Things are looking up.

Interestingly, there were only two South Park references I saw. Seems like most people were tired of it. The town, these days, has a more Western feel. The guy who will be making my hat, Smitty, has original machinery from the 1800's to measure and manufacture the hats. It's all really fascinating.

And I get a cowboy hat. Yay.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2018 at 6:55pm
The cheese stands alone.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2018 at 1:39pm
Omar's coming!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2018 at 11:11am
Let me know when you get settled in at Baltimore, I'll take you out for pizza and beer or something.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 1:56am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Bolton Hill is decent. MICA being there definitely helps keep the neighborhood trendy and helps keep the riffraff at bay. I lived in Station North before it started gentrifying. My roomie and I were the first white boys to live on the block in nearly 30 years according to some of the older residents. Just don't move west of Bolton Hill. Keep Madison Park between you and Sandtown-Winchester as a buffer unless you want to live "The Wire" first hand. Hampden is a safer bet honestly.

Well, took the job today. I think I did pretty well in negotiating my contract, declined two offers to get a better salary and even got some relocation reimbursement (well, will get). 

Celebrating with... A boringly healthy dinner, and some store brand low-carb "ice cream" because tomorrow I have to start planning everything. Still living the keto lifestyle (minus some weekends) and knowing how gross I'll feel the next day if I treat myself to pizza and beer really has made it less of a treat. Growing up, man, it's nuts (another nice low carb snack).
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 2:57pm
I have a pretty large emergency fund and 140 hours of PTO, so I'm pretty set.

Talked to a buddy, he said he cab get me an interview.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

I put in my two weeks notice yesterday. Time to move back to Phoenix and find a job. I'm thinking about taking a road trip to Denver to see family and a buddy in the program. And come back through Utah.

Time to do a little soul searching.

Jumping without a parachute huh? 3 years ago I'd have said "wait until you have something lined up" but with the current economic state of the country and unemployment at an all-time low, it's not as scary anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 34>
  Share Topic