Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Life Thread v2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Life Thread v2.0
    Posted: 09 August 2017 at 8:18pm
While we seem to have a pretty good sized cadre of old hands dropping in around what looked like would be the demise of a good thing, I'll try a social experiment:

What in the hell have you all been doing?

For me- Eight years after I left the education world, I was granted permanent status at my job. I finally know what its like to enjoy going to work every day. (er...night.) 
Still only two kids, (we're done) 8 and 4. The little one starts kindergarten this year. 

My notorious 'luck' with cars has gotten better. It'll do that when you stop buying pieces of crap. 
...although I DID manage to dent the bejesus out of one of the patrol cars at work three days before my probation was set to end. 

With the boys going to school, my wife is getting back to work after almost nine years being a stay at home mother, so we're not far out from buying a house. 

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you the last time I pulled a trigger on a paintball marker. I still have a bunch, but the game has died around me. Hardcore. Where there were once a half a dozen fields with an hour's drive, there MIGHT be one left. Other expensive hobbies have taken over. 

So. 

Your turn. 
?

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 8:44pm
Recently got a promotion which had me transferred to Albuquerque. Still no wife or kids, and don't plan on having kids of my own. Have been looking at new Honda Cicics. It would be my first new car I've ever owned. Haven't played since 2012.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 10:00pm
Getting geared up for yet another school year. At my second location within the company and starting year #7. They've (yet again) taken a well trained Assistant Food Service Director from me (Hired him last year at this time) and promoted him to FSD of a new account we picked up this summer. This is the second time in as many years that they've done this to me. So I'm back at square one with how the new year is going to go. Instead of relaxing a bit, I'll be right back in the thick of things showing the new AFSD of Production how to do the job the right way. I won't rest until October unfortunately. By then, dove season will be done and I'll have missed the first month of bow season for whitetail. Only good news is that I'm apparently on the short-list for a promotion next year. I'd (theoretically) step up to a District Manager position in the Mid Atlantic. If all works out, I could move to the Eastern Panhandle of WV and get out of this commie, freedom-hating state.

My son is 3-1/2 and getting ready to start Pre-School this year. If all goes well, he'll be in Pre-K next year.

Got a new mower this year. The snapper finally kicked the bucket after 14 years of service (5 of which were with me). Governor on the Briggs and Stratton engine decided to self-destruct and take half the crank case with it. Apparently it's common in that particular motor after several years of work. My dad took it and put a new motor on it, but I decided to go ahead and buy something a bit more suited to my lawn and wound up with a nice Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro 42" lawn tractor. Hydrostatic transmission means no more shifting. It's quick enough for me, has a great turning radius, and cuts like a champ.

Other than that, we've just been plugging along. Last played paintball about 3 years ago. Still have my gear, but all the tanks are out of hydro. Hoping to hit the field this fall at some point now that my son is a bit more manageable with one parent watching him. My main trigger-centric distraction these days is trap and sporting clays. Two ranges within a half-hour of me. It's cheaper than a day at the paintball field to boot!

<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 10:13pm
Machining for 6 years running. Almost 7. Bought a house. Still play paintball every now and again. I probably have enough guns still to equip the forum...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:55am
Promoted to captain, spent a year in Kuwait, drove from Indiana to Alaska, spent a lot of time fishing for salmon and only caught 2 sticks and a carcass so far.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Promoted to captain, spent a year in Kuwait, drove from Indiana to Alaska, spent a lot of time fishing for salmon and only caught 2 sticks and a carcass so far.

Dip netting is your friend.
ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 9:13pm
Lets see, since the last time i was on here regularly:

-Graduated high school
-Graduated college with an AAS in diesel technology
-Got married
-Worked at a Freightliner dealer for a while before i quit
-Got on in a DOD position working for the Air Force

So i guess quite a bit has happened.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Dip netting is your friend.

Thanks to the so-called management by Fish and Game, the commercial fleet has been pretty much free to fish as much as they want this year, so even dip netting has been slow with few even making it to fresh water.  So far the commercial fleet has pulled in almost 12 million fish this season.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 5:28pm
Nothing much to add. I bought a pop-up camper and plan on spending more time camping. I also became an Emergency Vehicle Operation instructor, so I got to spend a week driving the wheels off of a Ford Explorer (I can't believe I got paid to do it).
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 7:16pm
Let's see...
Wife beats Large B cell lymphoma
Mitsubishi eliminates waterjet line and job slowly dies.  Hired by local company as a fabrication supervisor. No more road trips and daily commutes to Jersey.
Gun collection grows
Still play paintball when I can.
Started a clan in World of Tanks, Commander.
Life's good.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Mehs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 11:46am
I graduated college on time with not much debt due to working my ass off.
Moved out of the midwest to Massachusetts to start my career in tech & move in with girlfriend at the time
Got a dog
The girlfriend lasted 1.5 years, found out she was a cheater and definitely opposite of the one.
Made lots of new friends, became very successful in my career of choice
Organized paintball outings with co-workers at local paintball fields in the area
Met an awesome girl who i've been dating for 2 years
Started traveling a lot
Quit my job for another job
Now I am some how people's boss at a small tech company and am making a decent living
Maybe next I'll attempt moving to the country so I can go fishing and hunting again
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Only good news is that I'm apparently on the short-list for a promotion next year. I'd (theoretically) step up to a District Manager position in the Mid Atlantic. If all works out, I could move to the Eastern Panhandle of WV and get out of this commie, freedom-hating state.

That's amazing news!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Gun collection grows

Oh boy do they ever!

Two weeks ago: Gettysburg Auction. 1923 Lefever Nitro Special by Ithaca. SxS 12ga 26" barrels. One cylinder one full. Original furniture with exception of butt-pad. All matching serials (including wood)

This morning: Burger King parking lot. 1965 Stoeger Zephyr Woodlander by Victor Sarasqueta of Spain. SxS 20ga 27.5" barrels. One modified, one full. All matching.

These make #3 and #4 in my side-by-side collection next to my Riverside double-hammer 30" (Cylinder, Full) and Baker Batavia Leader 30" (Modified, Full). I also picked up a Wards Western Field 600A ERI last fall along with a Savage 720 (A5) this spring. Probably going to refinish the stock on the 1897 Winchester and offload it soon along with the 7.62 conversion Spanish Mauser I have.
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 12:48am
Finally got a degree. Been funemployed since May. Started being less fun when I realized I was running out of savings (oops). Job search continues.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 10:55am
Last played... 2010ish.

Graduated college. Took six years.
Moved to PA, now CCW.
Bought 1965 Mustang. POS, I want to trade it for a Sportster
Found decent woman

No house, no marriage, no kids. Saving money while I can.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 11:08am
Moved to Vancouver island, was retired for a year, and have been in sales at a kal tire store since may. Loving the island life.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 2:56pm
Did a year in the ROK teaching English, fell in love then left her for the career path I also love
Moved home, got one of those foot-in-the-door subbing jobs that didn't play out
Kept working at a summer camp in an outdoor ed program, mountain guide and swift-water rescue training, lots of hikes and canoe trips
Hunting for a better job in education and on the cusp of one I really, really, want that combines social studies and outdoor education
Lots of big weddings in the last year and coming months while I remain quite happily married to work
Shoot, hunt, and fish not nearly enough while I live in the suburbs, but am conveniently close to the river so I can kayak to my heart's content, plotting my return to rural-life
Continue to make amazing international friends, meet and work with retired pro-athletes, and keep my oldest and dearest  friends close

Yeah, it's been a fun couple of years not being too active on here. A lot of work with few rewards yet, but darn good nonetheless 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 4:22pm
It's a shame that the New River Academy went completely online a few years back. It'd have been perfect for you. It was a boarding school for young professional kayakers right on the New River Gorge in WV.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 4:45pm
My life last year was a bad country song. This year things are settling into an equilibrium, but I'm bouncing around several different options for my future work/home wise, so I don't have anything exciting going on yet.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

My life last year was a bad country song. This year things are settling into an equilibrium, but I'm bouncing around several different options for my future work/home wise, so I don't have anything exciting going on yet.

Details....?????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
  Share Topic