Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Life Thread v2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 34>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2021 at 3:48am
Hey guys did you see we left Afghanistan? 
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2021 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Hey guys did you see we left Afghanistan? 

Afghaniwho? Doesn't ring any bells.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 11:16pm
Well getting old inhales deeply. Two small strokes, left side weakness only real issue. Played paintball scenario from my wheelchair over weekend, was the HQ guy, rest of team out there, was at HQ alone, 4 bad guys raced in, rolled out of my wheelchair got 3 before they got me, they thought it was going to be easy.

BTW got one of the faulty from factory TMC's, trigger linkage will not allow sear to release rear bolt at times, new parts coming from Tippmann.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2021 at 9:30pm
Tested positive for COVID last Sunday. Have been fully vaccinated since June. Thankfully the symptoms were mild, so I'm still chalking that up to a success, but still pretty bummed I was a breakthrough case. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 12:30am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Tested positive for COVID last Sunday. Have been fully vaccinated since June. Thankfully the symptoms were mild, so I'm still chalking that up to a success, but still pretty bummed I was a breakthrough case. 

Glad you were vaxxed up so it was mild.

For me, I haven't been on here in a dog's age. I got promoted back in June and it's been non-stop work ever since. I started out with no Hilton Honors account and in just two months, I've hit Diamond Elite status with a full year of carryover and have over 100k points on my account. I should be able to take the family on a vacay for a full week on points alone pretty much anywhere in the world by the end of the work year (June). The good news is, the company makes it worth my while. Big, fat raise, car allowance, phone allowance, and my monthly share of health care premiums dropped to $20/mo, so you can't really beat that.

Hopefully, things slow down in a little while because I spend most of my time away from home right now. We picked up 25+ schools this year because all of our competitors just ghosted their clients during COVID.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2021 at 4:54pm
Congrats on the promotion! I'm curious why the competition ghosted their clients?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2021 at 11:46pm

Congrats on the promotion! I'm curious why the competition ghosted their clients?

Idiocy, short-term gains at the expense of long-term profit, inability to pivot quickly.

When it became clear, almost immediately, that this thing was going to go on for more than two weeks, they started laying off everyone from dishwashers to middle management and even above in an effort to shed financial liability. That literally left nobody to pick up the phone when the clients started calling to figure out if food service would be possible for the next school year. These companies all have strict top-down management styles with heavy siloing and firewalls to prevent anyone outside the organization from gaining the ability to reach someone who actually has the ability to make decisions or give you any real info.

Compare that to my company which has a more balanced management structure (we give operations managers at the unit level the ability to make a lot of decisions that have very real and visible results and consequences) believes in free communication between departments and units, embraces radical candor and individual ownership, and literally gives everyone in the company the personal phone number of both of our owners (I can call Paco and Tina right now from my cell and they'll pick up).

That freedom and communication allowed our individual unit-level managers to work with our clients from the get-go to prepare for eventual re-opening and proved ourselves to be invaluable partners in helping to guide policy for many of our clients regarding cleaning, distancing, cost management, PPE procurement, etc.

I actually stayed employed and kept my assistant managers whole by working harder than I ever had before to develop plans, distribute food to those in need within the school community, and aid the school in procuring the PPE and necessary chemicals, signage, and equipment to keep the community safe.

The company didn't tell me to do this, I just picked up the ball and ran with it as did our other unit-level managers. We had schools where we were so effective, they never actually closed or stopped service (mostly boarding schools which had the ability to essentially quarantine in place until the end of the school year). Those other companies never gave their managers the ability to do any of that. They just cut them all loose to save money in the short term, not taking the long view that they'd need these same folks on the back end of things to get that business back.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Idiocy, short-term gains at the expense of long-term profit, inability to pivot quickly.

When it became clear, almost immediately, that this thing was going to go on for more than two weeks, they started laying off everyone from dishwashers to middle management and even above in an effort to shed financial liability. That literally left nobody to pick up the phone when the clients started calling to figure out if food service would be possible for the next school year. These companies all have strict top-down management styles with heavy siloing and firewalls to prevent anyone outside the organization from gaining the ability to reach someone who actually has the ability to make decisions or give you any real info.

Compare that to my company which has a more balanced management structure (we give operations managers at the unit level the ability to make a lot of decisions that have very real and visible results and consequences) believes in free communication between departments and units, embraces radical candor and individual ownership, and literally gives everyone in the company the personal phone number of both of our owners (I can call Paco and Tina right now from my cell and they'll pick up).

That freedom and communication allowed our individual unit-level managers to work with our clients from the get-go to prepare for eventual re-opening and proved ourselves to be invaluable partners in helping to guide policy for many of our clients regarding cleaning, distancing, cost management, PPE procurement, etc.

I actually stayed employed and kept my assistant managers whole by working harder than I ever had before to develop plans, distribute food to those in need within the school community, and aid the school in procuring the PPE and necessary chemicals, signage, and equipment to keep the community safe.

The company didn't tell me to do this, I just picked up the ball and ran with it as did our other unit-level managers. We had schools where we were so effective, they never actually closed or stopped service (mostly boarding schools which had the ability to essentially quarantine in place until the end of the school year). Those other companies never gave their managers the ability to do any of that. They just cut them all loose to save money in the short term, not taking the long view that they'd need these same folks on the back end of things to get that business back.

Does one of the competitors rhyme with Aramark?

That makes complete sense, and I have worked for those large corporations. What is the size of your company?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2021 at 11:55pm

Does one of the competitors rhyme with Aramark?

That makes complete sense, and I have worked for those large corporations. What is the size of your company?

As a matter of fact, one of them does indeed rhyme with Aramark.
Others rhyme with Compass and Sodexho... Funny how that works...

We're at around 300 units at the moment. USA and Canuckistan (only about 4-5 schools in the land of the frozen Choopies at the moment, but growing every year).

We're not looking to grow as big as the giants. You can only do that through acquisition, which isn't out way. Still a privately owned company though not really "small" anymore.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2021 at 11:38pm
So I'm pretty much where I left off last time I checked in.

Living in England, with....them.  Working in insurance fraud/litigation basically sleepwalking for the time being but i gather last few years that's almost the norm. 

Hoping to get north of the wall for Christmas to see the family, Mum moved house as my estranged father reckoned the 20 years of real estate appreciation on a property he hadn't seen in a decade was worth permanent disownment. She now lives in a gorgeous wee village in a 19th century cottage with a proper fireplace and a couple of wee dogs  though so she is loving life and I'm looking forward to Christmas there. Its really a beautiful part of the world.

Then the idea is to send my other half home to Uzbekistan so she can see her 70yo mother for the first time n 2.5years. Trouble is this Omicron carry on is threatening our plans. You see the boys from Glasgow (yes THE boys) are coming down to Manchester for Hogmanay and she can't be here. She just can't.  She is supposed to fly out 28th until mid January but that's looking risky. Especially since her flight transits through Istanbul.

So really much of the same unless she can't travel in which case I'm probably moving back to Scotland with all the brass that's already paid for.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2021 at 1:22am
Yeah, the 'Rona is making wreaking havoc on travel plans left and right for my family too. We're supposed to go to Europe this summer to follow my grandfather's path through the war. Start in Normandy, then hoof it through Holland, Belgium, and ultimately Germany. We have the guides, we have the drivers, the problem is getting the hotels/B&Bs booked in and the visas lined up because the EU really sucks at administrative stuff.

Sucks your dad decided to be an ass about the homestead, but it sounds like your mum landed rather well when all was said and done.

Depending on how the UK handles things, Scotland may be our backup if the trip falls through. If so, I'll give you a shout on the book of faces and see if we can't meet up for a pint if I'm in your neck of the woods.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2021 at 9:57pm
Yeah so I have covid so I'm in Manchester on my own for Christmas. 

I feel OK tbh had worse from misadventure. Still have my taste and smell so I think it's probably this omicron thing. News today is that it's very much less severe than OG covid in case that offers any reassurance to those anxious re this new variant. 

Other half got.away to Uzb without issue in the nick of time tbh. Took a load of tests with her so she can keep man eye on it given she left Tues and I was positive Wed.

Tallen if you are in the UK and anywhere near Manchester then a pint shall be had. Even if you end up in the Bonny North I'll make the trip. Would be  a waste not to come to Scotland since you're so close! 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2021 at 5:40am
Sorry to hear you caught the 'rona Scotchy. Word is Omicron isn't nearly as harsh as OG and Delta. The good news is that the higher virulence means it's basically making those two strains extinct by outcompeting them. Another, weaker version will come along and be easier to catch than Omicron, and it'll repeat until this thing is no worse than the seasonal flu.

I'll definitely let you know if we wind up in the UK instead of the continent. If it's not this year, it'll be soon. The wife wants to go to Scotland and Ireland and with the new job and more discretionary income, it'll finally be a trip we can take on our own.

On another note, Merry Christmas everyone!
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 2:34am
Been a while.. did they just make everyone a MOD now? 
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 3:21pm
Yep, probably 2 years ago or something like that?

This place exists in some weird fold of corporate space-time anymore. The only way to reach it is by knowing the address. The link from the front page of Tippmann doesn't link properly and likely never will.

They pay for the upkeep, but I don't think the parent company even knows that they're paying for it....

We're in limbo.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 12:20am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

They pay for the upkeep, but I don't think the parent company even knows that they're paying for it....

We're in limbo.

I just wish we weren't so dead Ouch
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 12:36am
It's partly because the line from the main page is broken and the conglomerate that owns Tippmann Paintball now couldn't give two flying fricks about fixing it. I've notified them twice.
spydercam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Like a mad scientist, but with Tippmanns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spydercam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2022 at 8:05pm
Hello @ all Wink
I just want to share my X-Ray Pic, which i´ve found on the Hospital-CD:

Made one day after the amputation. There you see my main problem, the short stump !

Edited by spydercam - 22 January 2022 at 8:09pm
I like Tippmann !!!

choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2022 at 9:49am
Originally posted by spydercam spydercam wrote:

Hello @ all Wink
I just want to share my X-Ray Pic, which i´ve found on the Hospital-CD:

Made one day after the amputation. There you see my main problem, the short stump !

Don't be so hard on yourself, you look about average to me
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2022 at 8:20pm
Scotchy must henceforth refer to me as "Laird Abernethy" because I just 'bought' a square yard of land in the courtyard of Castle Roy in Nethy Bridge.

I expect him to promptly tell me to go boil my head and call my wife a cow in the most ancient and proper ways of Scottish protocol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 34>
  Share Topic