Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Life Thread v2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 34>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2022 at 10:02pm
I have been playing airsoft for the last couple of years. (There is a indoor field close by and indoor is nice during the summer). But recently I went to an outdoor field that also does paintball. While airsoft is fun, it isn't paintball. I've been searching Craigslist and Offerup for a "Getting out of paintball" sale. Those Etha 2's from Planet Eclipse look like a good deal, and might even go the EMEK route if the price is right. 
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2022 at 9:20pm
Wow.  Haven't been here in years.  Surprised the forum is still up and running.  Not very many posts which I guess is to be expected.

Not much going on here.  Dreadful amounts of mandatory OT at work.  Double shifts 2-3 times per week.  I don't even bother signing up for available OT anymore.  Last couple of years I've topped out at $100K without even trying.

Caught the Covid just before Thanksgiving 2021.  Don't want to repeat that.  Spent 12 hours in the ER.  Was worried because I stopped urinating.  Each time I took a sip of water, I'd retch.  Labs, a bag of IV fluids and the antibody treatment topped out the bill to over $7000.  There are some people at work that have had it twice even after getting the vaccine.  As I said, no repeats.

Added a few weapons to my inventory.  A Century Arms AK-47, a couple of box-fed shotguns.  Based on two different platforms, 1 AR and 1 AK.  Have shot the VR80 but not the AK12 or the AK-47.  Also picked up a used AT Titan 1911 compact .45 which I haven't shot either.  Time constraints being what they are...

Big purchase last year was a 2021 Polaris Sportsman Touring EPS with plow and winch.  Had fun plowing the driveway this winter even though I didn't (and still don't) know I was doing.  Kids love riding it.  Have been turing them down lately as the yard is pretty mushy from the thaw.

Haven't picked up any of my markers in years.  Nobody to play with anyway.

Hope all is well with everyone still lurking around.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 11:32pm
Nethy-Bridge and Steathclyde are natural enemies. You'll die for this Abernethy!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2022 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

Nethy-Bridge and Steathclyde are natural enemies. You'll die for this Abernethy!
Ehem, that's LAIRD Abernethy to you! Also, please don't attack, the castle is very old and quite crumbly. Wouldn't want to ruin all that history would ya?

The interesting thing is that Castle Roy was a Grant stronghold while the Abernethy sur-name is usually tied to Leslie or Fraser. Also, there were two Abernethys in Scotland at one point. Nethy Bridge was originally Abernethy but had its name changed due to the need to differentiate the two towns with respect to train routes and schedules. The Abernethy that kept the name is in Perth and Kinross and located on Nethy Burn near its confluence with the Firth of Tay. Meanwhile, the Abernethy on the actual RIVER Nethy (not just a tiny creek) got changed to Nethy Bridge.

This makes the whole genealogy thing really tough when we try to trace back from our ancestors that spent less than a generation in County Antrim before heading to the colonies. There's a rather neat but small round tower at Abernethy Perth and Kinross along with a sizeable fragment of a Pictish stone. We have a beautiful rubbing of it framed at my house.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2022 at 11:37pm
I'm gonna climb a mountain. Seems like the logical thing to do now that I'm in Colorado. Do a few basic 14ers, then I reckon I'll try K2 next year.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2022 at 2:55am
I did Gray's and Torrie's peaks in one day. There's a saddle ridge between the two that makes it a quick and "easy" pair because you don't lose a bunch of elevation with the saddle.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2022 at 2:15pm
Nice. It's my first 14er, so I'm gonna start with Mt. Bierstadt, also in that area. It seems to be approachable. Only an 8mi out-n-back, and the elevation gain is only around 2,000'.

Edited by DeTrevni - 18 April 2022 at 2:15pm

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2022 at 11:11pm
Grays and Torreys are closer to a 3000 foot gain. You lose something like 900' in altitude when backtracking to the saddle for the official trail hike to do both.

Take lots of water and definitely grab some ibuprofen or Tylenol because you're going to need it. We used our time in Colorado to acclimate for a trek in Philmont and did the pair of 14ers to get ready for Baldy there on the reserve. We had been staying at Ft. Carson, which is almost the same altitude at Denver, but you're nearly 9,000 feet higher on top of those mountains. I think I was probably around 13,000 feet when the headache hit, and I was in good shape back then. 17 years old without an ounce of fat on me.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2022 at 11:33pm
I need to make a pack list, for sure. Painkillers are a good call...

I'm shooting for late summer, like end of August. That would give me 4ish months to burn some of my rather excessive fat and do some altitude training as well.

If this doesn't kill me, I really want to work my way up to summiting Longs Peak, which has a bit of a reputation. But that'll be dependent on how Bierstadt goes, and maybe a few more lower level summits.

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2022 at 1:48am
Wrapping up my year at the Command and General Staff College in a little over a month.  Just closed on our second house in Illinois a couple weeks ago.  It has a 1,000 sqft garage and a view of the Mississippi without being in a flood zone, so that's gonna be pretty sweet.  Still working on my MBA from KU, rock chalk and stuff.  Should be finishing up with that around this time next year, 5 more classes left.  And I got promoted to Major a few months back, so that's fun.  9 years left until I can retire!
spydercam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Like a mad scientist, but with Tippmanns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spydercam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2022 at 7:07pm
I´ve bought me Bike ! Wink

It still feels hard because the last time i had a ride, is more than 4 years ago. Only one leg forced is also strange and hard together. Slowly  i get used to it !!! Wink

I like Tippmann !!!

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 3:51am
Well, Roe v Wade was overturned today. I never thought it would happen. 

This will be ugly. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 1:54am
Why not? It was a completely unfounded opinion when it happened. The stretch of it being a "right to privacy" issue has nearly unanimously been called BS by scholars on every side of the issue. Even one of the authors for Roe said it was outright the wrong thing to hang it on.

People are pissed off at the SCOTUS on this one, but they really *shouldn't* be. Scotus looked at this, ruled on the case's merits, and found Roe to be lacking as everyone has said it was for decades.

What they SHOULD be mad at is multiple Democrat majorities and super majorities in Congress in the intervening years who failed to codify Roe into federal law. Had they done that, this would be a completely different situation.

They also need to be mad at RBG for hanging onto a seat long enough that she died under a Republican administration instead of retiring under Obama when she had a chance. But she wanted to hold on and relinquish her post under Hillary, rolled the dice, and came up short. Instead of cursing her hubris, I see countless RBG quotes and homages for a ruling she absolutely laid the groundwork for.

The shortsightedness of it all is just astounding.

For the record, I'm pro-choice.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 2:51pm
Them planning on looking at the election law case is the scary one. Don't take democracy for granted, because it isn't guaranteed. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 10:46pm
Welp, I'm officially playing paintball again. Ordered a PE Etha 3 M, tank, pod pack, barrel maid and some other goodies. Found out my buddy orders pallets of paint at a time for his team and will sell it at cost, so that will help a lot. Airsoft was fun, but it isn't paintball. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2022 at 1:17am
Nice! If I had the time, I'd get back in. Probably will as soon as the boy gets a little older.

Meanwhile, my life is sucking from the word "go" this morning. Trying to hire people in the current market suuuuucks.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2022 at 8:47pm
So I've knocked someone up. Luckily it was the bird but I might have made another English person which I'm not entirely happy about.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2022 at 8:08pm
Would they really be English, though?

My son was born and raised in Maryland, but he still considers himself a West Virginian through and through.

I'm sure Scotchy Junior will be as Scottish as they come.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 4:33am
My wife is 18 mo pregnant, and I got COVID. Hooray!

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2022 at 12:55am
18 months? Twins?

Also, Covid is easy so long as you got vaccinated. Mine lasted about 3 days, of which, only 1 was cruddy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 34>
  Share Topic