Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Life Thread v2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 34>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 4:00am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

We just spent a week driving around Colorado. It's a very pretty place. Also, legal recreational cannabis is both bizarre and enjoyable.  
Applied for a job that's in Maryland and it didn't even occur to me until I got an interview request that if I move I won't be able to legally buy/use cannabis... Yikes

Eh, Medical just blew up here, so it won't be long. Mind you, if you have a MM card, you're prohibited from possessing a firearm in the state.

Where in MD is the job? Also, it's legal in DC, so you just cross the border when you wanna get wasted.

No interest in a boomstick, so that's fine with me! It's at a certain university in the city of Baltimore. 

I'm hesitant about moving 2600 miles to a city where I don't know anyone, but it's looking like the best career option at the moment, and while I have a few friends here I'm not in love with the place. Anyone got pointers for a cross-continental move? I've got two cats and a classic car to complicate things.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 7:42pm

No interest in a boomstick, so that's fine with me! It's at a certain university in the city of Baltimore. I'm hesitant about moving 2600 miles to a city where I don't know anyone, but it's looking like the best career option at the moment, and while I have a few friends here I'm not in love with the place. Anyone got pointers for a cross-continental move? I've got two cats and a classic car to complicate things.

Not interested in a boomstick, but moving to the murder capital of the US....

Don't get mugged. They're too lazy up there to disguise themselves when they mug you, so they just shoot you so you can't narc on 'em. I lived there after all.

U of M Baltimore, U of Baltimore, MICA, Notre Dame, JHU, Coppin State, Morgan State, Loyola, or Goucher? Also, what degree?

Canton, Fells Point, and Federal Hill are good hangouts with a younger crowd. Avoid West Baltimore like the plague. In fact, avoid most of Baltimore like the plague. The areas around most of the universities are fine, but get a laminated city map and a permanent red marker and find a Baltimore PD cop when you first get there and ask him to shade in the areas you don't want to stray into by accident. This is a honest-to-God survival necessity if you don't know the city well.

Pub Dog in Federal Hill is a great place to take others who aren't from there. The beer is cheap and good, the pizza is less cheap, but also very good, and it's just got a great vibe you can't beat. We'll sometimes drive to Baltimore just to go there. Club Charles is a goddamned classic art-deco throwback lounge that's great. The ratskeller under Brewer's Art is also great. 13th Floor at the old Belvedere Hotel is worth visiting at least once if just for the night-time views. They used to have good acts as well, but haven't been in years. Paper Moon is good and open late if you want Cali-style diner food, but my favorite late-night spot is Nam Kang up in Old Goucher (just north of North Ave in central Baltimore). It's not your traditional cook-at-the-table Korean BBQ joing, but the Jae Yook Gui is killer and the Cass and Hite are cheap and served well past the city's official last-call. Old Goucher is kind of like a mini Korea Town.

Don't be fooled by the Inner Harbor, it's just a tourist trap. Rams Head Live which is in the Power Plant Live area does get some good acts in though and it's a smaller venue. Saw Billy Idol there about 13 years ago and it was awesome.

Ditch the classic with someone you trust either back home, or outside the city if you can. Buy a beater for your time there. Find someone who has an address outside of the city and use that as your insurance address. Inside the city automotive insurance rates are insane. In 2004 I paid $300/mo for my 2003 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS in terms of my loan. I paid $350/mo for insurance. When you leave MD, turn the plates in to the MVA or they will skull-fark you with fines.

When you need a break from Bodymore Murdaland, give me a shout and come visit us here in MoCo. We're only about 45min to an hour away.

Edited by tallen702 - 10 August 2018 at 7:58pm
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 9:06pm

Anyone got pointers for a cross-continental move?

Yeah, get the government to hire a moving company.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 9:19pm
JHU, but not to attend, to work on online classes n stuff as staff. Currently the office is in elkridge, but in october it'll be in the Stieff Silver building. Thinking about places close to the new office because why waste time on commuting if I don't have to? Someone suggested a place in Bolton Hill, seems alright.

Looking at selling the car right now, just trying to figure out title/smog stuff. California car laws suck.

Funny you mention it, a friend of mine actually lived at the belvedere a few years ago!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 8:30pm

JHU, but not to attend, to work on online classes n stuff as staff. Currently the office is in elkridge, but in october it'll be in the Stieff Silver building. Thinking about places close to the new office because why waste time on commuting if I don't have to? Someone suggested a place in Bolton Hill, seems alright.

Looking at selling the car right now, just trying to figure out title/smog stuff. California car laws suck.

Funny you mention it, a friend of mine actually lived at the belvedere a few years ago!

Bolton Hill is decent. MICA being there definitely helps keep the neighborhood trendy and helps keep the riffraff at bay. I lived in Station North before it started gentrifying. My roomie and I were the first white boys to live on the block in nearly 30 years according to some of the older residents. Just don't move west of Bolton Hill. Keep Madison Park between you and Sandtown-Winchester as a buffer unless you want to live "The Wire" first hand. Hampden is a safer bet honestly.

I ran the Owl Bar there in the Belvedere for exactly 1 year before telling the company that ran the restaurant and catering services there to piss up a rope. I've got friends that work for JHU. They keep poaching our registered dietitians for their programs there because they know we hire top-notch in that area.

My current company's HQ is just north of the Beltway in Lutherville and I was offered the FSD position at NDMU this year, but not sure if I'm willing to take it due to the commute... and the fact that I only like Baltimore in small doses myself.

I give you two years before you move to Columbia, Reisterstown, White Marsh, or Westminster.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 8:10pm
I'm in the land of Yuengling, and Budweiser Red Lager is the cheapest, best beer available. I still love Yuengling but this is $6.35/12
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by TALLEN TALLEN wrote:

Is the GF ethnic Uzbek?

Nah, She's Korean/Armenian... or something. I always forget what kind of Chinese she is.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2018 at 5:32pm
I put in my two weeks notice yesterday. Time to move back to Phoenix and find a job. I'm thinking about taking a road trip to Denver to see family and a buddy in the program. And come back through Utah.

Time to do a little soul searching.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

I put in my two weeks notice yesterday. Time to move back to Phoenix and find a job. I'm thinking about taking a road trip to Denver to see family and a buddy in the program. And come back through Utah.

Time to do a little soul searching.

Jumping without a parachute huh? 3 years ago I'd have said "wait until you have something lined up" but with the current economic state of the country and unemployment at an all-time low, it's not as scary anymore.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 2:57pm
I have a pretty large emergency fund and 140 hours of PTO, so I'm pretty set.

Talked to a buddy, he said he cab get me an interview.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 1:56am

Bolton Hill is decent. MICA being there definitely helps keep the neighborhood trendy and helps keep the riffraff at bay. I lived in Station North before it started gentrifying. My roomie and I were the first white boys to live on the block in nearly 30 years according to some of the older residents. Just don't move west of Bolton Hill. Keep Madison Park between you and Sandtown-Winchester as a buffer unless you want to live "The Wire" first hand. Hampden is a safer bet honestly.

Well, took the job today. I think I did pretty well in negotiating my contract, declined two offers to get a better salary and even got some relocation reimbursement (well, will get). 

Celebrating with... A boringly healthy dinner, and some store brand low-carb "ice cream" because tomorrow I have to start planning everything. Still living the keto lifestyle (minus some weekends) and knowing how gross I'll feel the next day if I treat myself to pizza and beer really has made it less of a treat. Growing up, man, it's nuts (another nice low carb snack).
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2018 at 11:11am
Let me know when you get settled in at Baltimore, I'll take you out for pizza and beer or something.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2018 at 1:39pm
Omar's coming!
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2018 at 6:55pm
The cheese stands alone.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:18am
I went to the town that inspired South Park (Fairplay, CO), and commissioned a guy make me a custom cowboy hat. Things are looking up.

Interestingly, there were only two South Park references I saw. Seems like most people were tired of it. The town, these days, has a more Western feel. The guy who will be making my hat, Smitty, has original machinery from the 1800's to measure and manufacture the hats. It's all really fascinating.

And I get a cowboy hat. Yay.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:26am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

I went to the town that inspired South Park (Fairplay, CO).

Makes me think of Gold Rush, the only reality show I watch.  The most annoying crew on the show had a mine there.

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Omar's coming!

I just watched that show the beginning of this year.  So good!
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Makes me think of Gold Rush, the only reality show I watch.  The most annoying crew on the show had a mine there.

I haven't seen it, so I don't know. But that definitely fits the aesthetic of the town. I actually kinda dug the place. Also, the whole area is beautiful.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 6:21am

First most joyous occasion in my life: The birth of my son.
Second most joyous occasion in my life: The Hoffman crew calls it quits for good.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 6:18pm

First most joyous occasion in my life: The birth of my son.
Second most joyous occasion in my life: The Hoffman crew calls it quits for good.

Seriously!  I am going to miss watching them make the same stupid decisions year after year then exclaim "Can't we get a frickin break?!" when the only possible result happens.  

Todd: Do this thing!
Everyone else: That's going to break it
Todd: Shut up I'm in charge
*thing breaks
Todd: OMG I can't believe that broke!  We're cursed!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 9:22pm

Seriously!  I am going to miss watching them make the same stupid decisions year after year then exclaim "Can't we get a frickin break?!" when the only possible result happens.  

Todd: Do this thing!
Everyone else: That's going to break it
Todd: Shut up I'm in charge
*thing breaks
Todd: OMG I can't believe that broke!  We're cursed!

That's what Gold Rush: Whitewater is for.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 34>
  Share Topic