Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Life Thread v2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 34>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2018 at 12:04am
I haven't heard of that one yet, I'll have to check it out.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

I haven't heard of that one yet, I'll have to check it out.

It's the Hurt boys from season 2 doing dive-mining under waterfalls in Alaska.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 6:40pm
Settled back in Phoenix on Sunday. The job search is going great, one offer, another I got invited to a second interview.

Going camping this weekend with the g/f and her daughter.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2018 at 11:15pm
Here's my dashcam footage from my trip on the Denali Park Road from Saturday. A little background, this is the only road in Denali National Park. It's 92.5 miles from start to finish and is usually only accessible by bus, foot, or bicycle. Every year, they hold a lottery for permits to drive it yourself on one of the 4 final days of the season. I was lucky enough to win a permit this year and got to see some of the most amazing landscapes on earth. The park has everything from low forests to high mountain passes and 2 shallow water crossings. We saw several caribou, moose, grizzlies, and Dall's sheep along the way. The video is pretty long since the road is almost 100 miles at an average of 25mph, but I sped the video up 2x and got the length down to an hour and a half. Enjoy!

For extra sketchy bits and some of the better views, you can skip to 34:45 and 58:45.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 10:43am
Jelly.

Camping went great, was able to get the Taco dirty :)
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 10:23pm
My eldest son graduates high school June 2019, he's on delayed entry, Marine Corps and leaves August 2019.  

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 4:31am
I get to go golfing at work today. Woo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 5:55am
We're in the process of updating our finished basement. We've ordered our new carpet and pad, set our install date with the install company, and have gotten to work on the prerequisites to the carpet install. I spent this past Sunday ripping out the kitchen that was down there (full size fridge, full size sink, full suite of cabinets, hood fan, and apartment sized stove) only to have the truck I rented from Home Depot to haul everything to the dump get stuck on my perfectly flat and level side yard because the drive tires were completely bald. Too my neighbor with his mini Kubota to drag it out of there. The tires literally slipped on wet grass to the point that it wouldn't move.

Spent last night patching holes, cleaning any dirt buildup from over the years, and mopping the underlayment so that I can paint before the carpet guys show up in a week and a half.

My 4-year old son has started reading rather proficiently as well. The kid is devouring the Bob Books series ("See Spot Run" for the modern age) and all kinds of other stuff. We sat down two nights ago for a "movie night" at the house and showed him "Brave" for the first time. I didn't tell him what movie we were watching, I don't think he's ever come across the word brave before, but when it came up on the screen, he got it in one. Proud of that kid.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2018 at 11:53am
I need to get out of my job.

Putting in 60 hour weeks and I'm still falling behind. My boss keeps assigning stupid laborious tasks to pretend he is involved with my projects. If my company got out of my way I'd be able to accomplish more things.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2018 at 6:25pm
Did some truck maintenance that I've been neglecting for too long.  Got new caliper brackets and guide pins in and put new pads on while I was there.  Also installed an oil pan heater and made an appointment for a remote start installation.  Should make getting in the truck in the morning and after work much nicer this winter.  
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2018 at 8:51pm
Celebrated my 30th birthday by helping my aunt buy a new car. She bought a Toyota Highlander.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 7:06am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Celebrated my 30th birthday by helping my aunt buy a new car. She bought a Toyota Highlander.

Birthdays after 25 don't count in my experience.

Also, Jebus you're young!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 7:13am
Should edit my previous post, but screw it. This place needs all the traffic it can get!

Spent Saturday working at HQ for an event and had to stay waaay later than was told. Meanwhile, my son was coming down with strep, hard. Got home around 5:30PM and rushed him to an urgent care where they gave us the little kids' equivalent of a Z-Pack. He's a-ok now, but was miserable for most of Saturday night.

Yesterday, we went out and got the stuff we need to prep our downstairs for a makeover. Ripped out the kitchen down there last weekend and hauled it to the dump. This week, I spent most nights patching and sanding where the screws from the cabinets went into the sheetrock. I'm in the middle of putting together the new modular base cabinets and counter from Ikea for the wet bar, and painting the walls where the kitchen used to be so we can then get the new pad and carpet installed. We're having the stairs and den re-carpeted while we're at it which will update everything rather nicely. All that will be left to do for the basement is run a cable and ethernet drop, hang up some shelving, change out light fixtures, and put in a dart board and air hockey table. Then we'll be able to use it as a family living space and party area.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 6:48pm
Aw sorry to hear about the son's rough time :(

In other news, I will have a bed again on thursday. My back is very, very excited.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

In other news, I will have a bed again on thursday. My back is very, very excited.

Thanks. He's doing better now. He bounces back very quickly.

You sound like me. When I moved to Baltimore back in '04, I had nothing but a futon for a place to put my head. The moment I saved up enough money for a real bed, I got one.

Where did you settle on living? I was just up in Lutherville/Timonium on Saturday and then had to make my way down to the house of my company's owners to drop off some stuff for a party. They're just north of Hopkins.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Thanks. He's doing better now. He bounces back very quickly.

You sound like me. When I moved to Baltimore back in '04, I had nothing but a futon for a place to put my head. The moment I saved up enough money for a real bed, I got one.

Where did you settle on living? I was just up in Lutherville/Timonium on Saturday and then had to make my way down to the house of my company's owners to drop off some stuff for a party. They're just north of Hopkins.

Couldn't afford a trip out so I just went with a 7 month sight unseen lease in a complex between bolton hill and mt vernon, not bad but I am not really digging the high rise life so far.

I spent far too much time researching the mattress industry and spent time with some pretty unsavory (only kind it seems) mattress salesmen before ordering this mattress, 650 for a full after discount, downgrade in size from the queen i left on the curb, but an upgrade from what it was (ikea foam), and 120 day trial. Anything will be better than this air mattress though, on the ground after 5 hours -_-

Edited by BARREL BREAK - 03 October 2018 at 12:00am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 7:18am

Couldn't afford a trip out so I just went with a 7 month sight unseen lease in a complex between bolton hill and mt vernon, not bad but I am not really digging the high rise life so far.

Not bad at all. Plus, 7mo is nothing, gives you time to look at other areas of the city (or county for that matter) figure out traffic, and get to know what you're looking for here on the east coast.

You could definitely do worse on neighborhoods. You're literally a stone's throw from my old job there. I ran The Owl Bar at the old Belvedere back in '04. Given your location, I can make some good recommendations:

Brewer's Art for beer (front bar or down it the ratskeller)
Oriole Pizza and Subs for cheap but good cheese steaks
Club Charles for a laid-back retro bar
Clavel for Latin food and killer drinks
Nam Kang for cheap late-night Korean
Jong Kak for authentic Korean BBQ
The Helmand for killer Afghan food (legit good).
Ottobar for live music
Paper Moon for Cali-inspired diner food.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 10:24am
I ended up buying my mattress at Costco.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Not bad at all. Plus, 7mo is nothing, gives you time to look at other areas of the city (or county for that matter) figure out traffic, and get to know what you're looking for here on the east coast.

You could definitely do worse on neighborhoods. You're literally a stone's throw from my old job there. I ran The Owl Bar at the old Belvedere back in '04. Given your location, I can make some good recommendations:

Brewer's Art for beer (front bar or down it the ratskeller)
Oriole Pizza and Subs for cheap but good cheese steaks
Club Charles for a laid-back retro bar
Clavel for Latin food and killer drinks
Nam Kang for cheap late-night Korean
Jong Kak for authentic Korean BBQ
The Helmand for killer Afghan food (legit good).
Ottobar for live music
Paper Moon for Cali-inspired diner food.

Yeah the location is pretty good, I'm just not used to controlled entry, having to pick up my packages from a concierge, etc. I've got a few months to get used to the city, though only a few weeks maybe of good weather LOL

Thanks for the recs, I haven't had the time or money to go out really so far, though I did go to Attman's deli for a reuben last weekend on my way to errands. Good but not great, cool location and over a hundred years old though!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2018 at 12:53pm
Yeah, Attman's is okay, but nothing to crow about (though Baltimorons love to do so).

Have fun, stay safe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 34>
  Share Topic