Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Life Thread v2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 34>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

I need to start lurking again.

Yes, yes you do!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 7:34pm
Welp, looking for a new job again. I absolutely despise working in an office. Have a interview with Geico this week as a claims adjuster.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 4:42pm
First time having an "on demand" interview. Basically answered questions through my webcam that will be viewed later on.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 6:22pm
That's kind of uncomfortable, like reading off questions to record?
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 10:44pm
I did an interview like that once. Probably one of the most uncomfortable things I've done in my entire life.

I'm gonna go look at houses tomorrow. Pretending to be an adult is weird... and expensive.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 12:10am
It was different... But pretty cool that you can do it anytime, any day in the comfort of your home. And if I get the gig I'll be near DC for 3 weeks! So that'll be cool to be able to go sight seeing on the weekends.

I will buy a house, someday...
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 5:43pm
My S/O got a Nissan Juke. She was happy to get a slightly larger car as not to be so intimidated on the interstate. It also thoroughly checks her box for liking bizarre vehicles. I decided I wanted to get a few more years out of my car. I got new tires, new shocks/struts. 

We are gearing up to maybe try to buy a house sometime this summer. It's hard to know what will be on the market when, but it's worth the shot. 

Other than that, life has generally been a bummer. My great aunt died. My dad is doing way worse. My S/O's sister-in-law has stage three cancer. My grandma's husband has stage four liver and stomach cancer. My research gets getting rejected from journals. That last one isn't as bad as the others but it sure doesn't help.   
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

My S/O got a Nissan Juke. She was happy to get a slightly larger car as not to be so intimidated on the interstate. It also thoroughly checks her box for liking bizarre vehicles. I decided I wanted to get a few more years out of my car. I got new tires, new shocks/struts. 

We are gearing up to maybe try to buy a house sometime this summer. It's hard to know what will be on the market when, but it's worth the shot. 

Other than that, life has generally been a bummer. My great aunt died. My dad is doing way worse. My S/O's sister-in-law has stage three cancer. My grandma's husband has stage four liver and stomach cancer. My research gets getting rejected from journals. That last one isn't as bad as the others but it sure doesn't help.   

Dude, that all really really sucks, I feel for you.

On the flip-side, at least your 4yo isn't getting ready to get kicked out of his preschool for being a violent and belligerent a-hole. Doesn't do it at his public pre-k in the afternoon. Doesn't do it at home. Shies away from contact during sparring at TKD, but something about his morning preschool just sets him off.

We didn't get the school that I poured my heart and soul into the bid process for. Sucks for now, but they'll come crawling back in 3 years asking us to bid again. Same happened with our bid for the Avenues School in Manhattan. Now, they're begging us to bid.

I think my car is close to needing some major repairs (again) and was hoping my tax return would cover it. Turns out we're right in the sweet spot for getting screwed with the new tax code. We make too much to get things like EICs, we use a FSA for child care, so don't get to write more than 5k of that off. While the child tax credit doubling helped, the fact that we can't take personal deductions more than makes up for that help in hurt, and being in a high-tax state, we got screwed by the SALT caps. Last year, we saw $3300 back in our pockets. This year we're seeing a couple-hundred more annually in our take-home, but only ~$900 coming back, and that's almost all from the state.

I get that we're "rich" on a national level income-wise, but around here, we're just barely breaking into middle-class.

So yeah, will have to save up a lot more before repairing my car.

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

And if I get the gig I'll be near DC for 3 weeks! So that'll be cool to be able to go visit tallen

FTFY

Edited by tallen702 - 06 February 2019 at 8:05pm
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 8:24pm

Welp, looking for a new job again. I absolutely despise working in an office. Have a interview with Geico this week as a claims adjuster.

A noble vocation! If you still jave any trust or faith in humanity then id chip away at that before you start. Im in motor injury fraud and lets say I've developed a habit of eyeballing EVERYONE with a proposition or just sonething to tell me.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 11:46pm
I lost faith in humanity a while ago Tongue

So far passed the personality test, aptitude test, online interview (you audio/video record your answers to the dozen or so questions, which they view later). Today was a nearly 3 hour long scenario interview, in which you have 30 minutes to learn how to be an adjuster for a fictitious company. Then go through dealing with customers and interviewing them, dealing with repair shops and negotiating their price etc, and well as using a map and planning out which sites to visit first, how much time you'll have etc.

Got a call a few hours after that, and said they want me to come in for a traditional face2face interview on Thursday. And from what I've read this pretty much means the cat is in the bag. Pending a hair follicle drug test and background check. 
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 11:13pm
I did my taxes myself this year due to the easier tax code. (I used Credit Karma's new free online service). And I had 3 w-2 and 4 1099's... And it handled them like a champ. Ended up paying a lot less due to the small business tax credit which totally saved me! Finally credit for busting my butt for years on end running all these small businesses. 

My Dad wants to retire so I told my sister who works for him to take over, and she said she would only do it if I came on board too... So I added another job to my list of jobs. VP of the company, but it is pretty fun. We teach requisite organization which is a common sense, scientific management style for large companies. We also do SST testing (stratified systems theory) for high level job placement testing to determine if people actually have the mental aptitude to do the work involved in the role. My dad is the leading guy in the field since his friend who founded the principles passed away. I can't let my Dad's work disappear, so we are going to grow the business as it will really help solve a lot of business problems once companies start to utilize the system as it focuses on the work involved in each role and determines the needed mental abilities to do those roles, then we can help them get the right people in the right roles, which eliminates so much drama and underlying issues when dialed in properly. 

So those keeping track. I sell printing, and sold my shares in my ex families company back to my ex father in law. I sell for a branding company stuff like shirts/pens/cups, ect. I have a hand bindery business which is good to help keep me and my kids busy. I have a video production company making videos and editing and delivering DVD's of events. I do wedding photography and videography. My youtube channels, twitter, instagram, and I run a few facebook groups. I do photography and write for paintball media magazine and was featured on the cover last month as one of the top paintball photographers. Lol. And now my dad's company VP. 

I still need to finish my house, but working 80-100 hours a week for the past 20 weeks has been crazy... 

I got another BMW, and it was a lemon. 335I M edition, with a hard top convertible. I've literally spent $2,500 in repairs and then the head gasket went so that will be another $800. And it only has 54,000 miles on it... Then my other BMW soft top fuel pump quit. So I called a tow truck and they rolled that one onto the ramp and the guy slipped and HIT my 335 with the door of my 325. $3,000 worth of damage... It is in the shop now. Ugh. I need another Acura. Way less drama and issues. My daughter is still driving my old MDX with 250,000 miles, and my youngest daughter has my TSX which has 309,000 now, both run great. 

Crazy to hear how you guys are moving all over the place! I'm still in the same town since 1994. Lol. 
They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 8:30pm
Caught an upper respiratory infection from hell last weekend. Viral, but not the flu. Takes a week or more to get over the worst of it. Suuuuuuucks.

Other than that, we've been enjoying all four seasons in a week here lately. Snow, rain, mud, sunshine and warm temps, freezing rain, more mud, etc. etc.

I've got another pheasant hunt lined up for Friday up in PA with a buddy of mine. Looking to take the Savage made A-5 out to draw blood for the first time.

Other than that, we're pretty much just staying busy keeping the home fires burning and trying to keep the little man out of trouble.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

My S/O got a Nissan Juke. She was happy to get a slightly larger car as not to be so intimidated on the interstate. It also thoroughly checks her box for liking bizarre vehicles

And now I know.  My box checker for liking bizarre vehicles was my Honda Element.   I miss that vehicle.

As for the other issues . . . you need to catch a break whale.  Wow!  (Even if the break is just a step back and away for a day or two to focus on anything unstressful.)

Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

A noble vocation! If you still jave any trust or faith in humanity then id chip away at that before you start. Im in motor injury fraud and lets say I've developed a habit of eyeballing EVERYONE with a proposition or just sonething to tell me.

I would explain my last job to my grand-daughters as being paid to be nosy and get lied to.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 7:37pm
20 lbs down 20 more to go. The Mrs. has been cancer free for 3 years and this weekend is her stem cell "re-birthday".  Life is good. 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 11:04pm
I've gained like 30 lbs since I've been in Colorado. I blame the cold.

On the plus side, 3 sets of 5 squats at 285# feels pretty cake. I need to do a PR test again, but I'm training on my own, so that's kinda sketchy. I miss powerlifting, but I'm getting some of my old strength back, and that's nice.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2019 at 12:25am
Didn't get the job, still stuck at my depressing job of helping people with their healthcare.

Grandpa ended up in the ICU.

Went to the cardiologist, he said my palpitations are from stress and anxiety. So gym membership here I come.

But I am going to my buddies property this weekend to shoot guns and ride my atv. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2019 at 1:49pm
Wound up in the ER with a kidney stone this Friday. Gettin' old.... and it sucks.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2019 at 4:56pm
Oh man. Those are high on my list of things I never want to deal with.

You okay? Did you die?

RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 12:32am
It has been over a day. He's dead.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 2:31am
RIP in peace Tallen.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 34>
  Share Topic