Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Life Thread v2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 34>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 9:58pm
Sorry to hear that Whale; not something I could even imagine trying to deal with.

In happier news for those not following me on the FB, I got my first Alaskan caribou on Saturday.  It's also my first big game animal.  Took him about 100 miles below the arctic circle near Eagle Summit.  Temperature that day was a scorching -26 F.  Scored a spine shot from about 200 meters and he dropped where he stood.  Unfortunately I had to dispatch him when I got up to him since he was still hanging on.  Nice sized bull, unfortunate he had already dropped his antlers.  

Since we were out for a few days and I got him day 1, he froze solid by the time we got back to Anchorage.  He's thawing in the garage now.

Not much out there.

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 7:39am
-26 does not sound fun. Congrats. I had some luck deer hunting this year and got an 8 point.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 7:17pm
Skinned and quartered it last night and dropped it off for processing this morning.  142 pounds of bone and meat.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 12:47am
Quit the carbs again and life is so much better, down 15 pounds over the last month and a half and my acne cleared right up. 20 grams a day or under, fellas
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 6:14am
Amazing how much sugar is in stuff isn't it?

God bless the sugar industry for swindling the american public by convincing us "fat" was the main cause for heart disease. Sugar **edited**es, sugar be the culprit. 

Except for Schwan's food, their sugar has special properties in it....
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 8:59pm
On thing I neglected to mention in my original post, is that I picked up a new hobby- cycling. 

My father-in law has been pushing me for years to join him riding, especially on his annual "Tour de Force" which is a huge fund raiser for the families of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. After a friend of mine was killed in an on-duty accident, leaving three little kids behind, the message of the whole thing became a little more personal, and I agreed to do the tour. 

I bought a bike, a used Cannondale Six13, and spent all summer training on a mountain bike at work. It turns out that a heavier bike + equipment = a fairly good workout, you feel naked on a road bike afterward. 

In September, the tour kicked off and we rode from Boston Mass. into NYC over the course of four days. Longest day was 81 miles across Long Island. I rode with My father in law's team, "Team FTS" - names so because most of them are current or retired members of the Firearms and Tactics Section of the NYPD. They were an awesome group of guys who took me under their wing from the start. 

I took one spill right on the Rhode Island coast, but other than that, things went REALLY well, and I'm already looking forward to next year's, where we ride from West Point to Annapolis. 

I was a little shocked about how much time I spend having serious conversations with other grown men about various creams and salves we use on our respective asses. 

There's no denying the health benefits of this new hobby, and as someone who absolutely hates running, this is a pretty good fit. 

....even if the spandex shorts aren't. 

Edited by Reb Cpl - 24 November 2017 at 9:04pm
?

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 8:53am
Reb wears spandex shorts in front of his FIL
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Reb wears spandex shorts in front of his FIL

...and several hundred strangers. 

It's like college all over again. 
?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 4:19am
If you ain't discussing butt creams then you ain't with the right crowd
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 10:55pm
Well, let's see. Update time. I'm still at my uncle's, but progress is being made. I can't remember if I mentioned that I got my insurance checks in for my vehicles, but that happened, and it's been largely manageable since then. Kind of a waiting game now.

As for my hobby life, I'm a Powerlifter now!

So I wasn't as active in fitness as I wanted to be, and when Hurricane Harvey cleaned out my house, I lost all my gym stuff. Since I'm staying with my uncle, I couldn't really get a home gym up and running again, so I decided I'd join a gym. Found local place that does Powerlifting, and since it didn't cut into my budget TOO bad, I said "why not!?" I HAD to do something other than idle.

Been at it for about 2 months now, and holy wow have I improved. I've been loving it.

When I had my home set-up, I was doing Starting Strength off and on. It helped, for sure, but I was pretty unguided and lacked real motivation. The best I could squeeze out was 155# on the bench (damn my googly arms), 245# squat, and a 305# deadlift.

Fast forward two months of real, guided training, and my projected lifts are 200# bench (curse still further my googly arms), 315# squat, and 415# dead! These are numbers I'm proud of, and in such little time!

I know they're projected numbers, but we have a meet this weekend, so we're deloading and did 80-85-90% reps so coach could get a good read on where we are. I hit the 90's pretty easy, so coach and I are confident I'll be able to hit those projected numbers, all of which are (needless to say) PR's! We're only doing benches and deads this meet, but I'll definitely report in!

Wish me luck!
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 4:38pm
Take care of your joints...
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 8:59pm
For sure. There's a risk to everything, but hey.

Edit: Seems my folks are getting a new travel trailer. We're gonna plop it into the driveway and make that my new home for a bit. I'm actually excited. It's more space than I've had at my uncle's. Though I'm absolutely appreciative of his help.

Also, firm reminder that you folk are wonderful and y'all shouldn't forget that.

Edited by DeTrevni - 29 November 2017 at 9:16pm

BearClaw View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearClaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 6:55pm
Kinda nice to see this place still sort of alive. Been away from the site and paintball for a while now.

Got pretty badly injured in a motorcycle accident (driver “didn’t see me” and turned into me) a little over 5 years ago. Over a year of recovery 5 surgeries three of which I went in with high possibility of waking up without my left leg.   As one Cana imagine being out of work for over a year was financially straining and I burned through every $$ of savings and maxed my credit keeping a roof over my head.

Couple years ago I decided to play a bit again and been playing pump mostly a couple times a year.

Last year was a crazy one for me.    My long time girl friend and I had a baby boy that we sadly lost at birth (due to a genetic disorder). We got engaged, planned and got married, and the we planned and got pregnant again. We bought a new house one year ago today and had our beautiful baby girl shortly there after.

More recently I have decided to play a bit more paintball too encourage further improvement of my legs strengthening (left legs still very weak and very limited mobility).   Next week I starting a new job for the first time stepping off the shop floor as a diesel mechanic and trying my hand at being a Forman of a larg truck dealership (again hoping to be a bit easier on my battered body).

I still ride motorcycles. I still ride off-road and now my wife joins sometimes on an ATV (not since our daughter born obviously).

With the exception of the injury and loss of our son. Life’s been pretty good to us and I was able to dig our selves mostly out of debt working many hours and for a great company I’m sad to be leaving.

Picked myself up a new Crossover XVR to try as with my limited mobility I think a semi maybe best for me. And though I love my Automags the crossover was much cheaper and reminds me of the EMags I coveted for many years when I started in this great sport in the 90s and early 2000s.
AGD 68 Automag
Azodin KPII
Sheridan PGP2K
Tippmann Crossover XVR
Tippmann ProCarbine
Tippmann SL68-II
Tippmann TiPX
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 5:31pm
Update: I missed my last attempt at bench for 205#, which is infuriating because I'm JUST there. I can feel it! I did get my 405# deadlift, though, and I feel like I still had some gas in the tank! Now the road to 5 plate deads begins!

Gotta get that bench up, though...

Also, I podiumed! Well, by virtue of being one of the 3 lifters in my weight class, but whatever! I've been training for only 2 months. I'll take a gimme medal!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 9:45pm
Found out my company will be getting sold shortly. Having to move due to homeowner selling the house. So I'm pretty weary of signing a lease, seeing as I don't know if I'll have a job in the near future.

But I did shoot my first USPSA match on Saturday. Did horribly but had a blast.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 9:58am
260 Million EBITDA and they're thinking of selling? Don't know what y'all's liabilities are given that you're private, but DAYUM, that's a lot of earnings!

Saw that the valuation estimates are 2.5BN? That's a lot of money to pony up. Is anyone actually talking to them about buying? Or are they just putting it out there that they're willing to sell in hopes someone will come knocking?

Edited by tallen702 - 04 December 2017 at 10:06am
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 3:04pm
Consumer brands is pretty strong, but home service is hemorrhaging.

Not sure, the news article was brief. They might part it out.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 6:39am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Doesn't surprise me that the home service is taking a huge hit right now. Most of the reliable demographic has been dying off (literally) and those who are still independent enough to not need true nursing care, but don't want to have to keep up a domicile are moving to 55+ communities that offer dining services through companies like Compass Group or Sodexho or as self-ops. That said, the little old lady who lives down at the end of our street uses your service on a monthly basis at the very least.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Doesn't surprise me that the home service is taking a huge hit right now. Most of the reliable demographic has been dying off (literally) and those who are still independent enough to not need true nursing care, but don't want to have to keep up a domicile are moving to 55+ communities that offer dining services through companies like Compass Group or Sodexho or as self-ops. That said, the little old lady who lives down at the end of our street uses your service on a monthly basis at the very least.

Oh trust me, I know. It's been a mess. They have attempted to modernize but completely shot themselves in the foot. They tried a hybrid approach of the classical 2 week delivery cycle, and 48 hour delivery for pre-orders. But screwed up both of them. 

I've thought about saying screw it and selling my soul to work for Aramark. Go get me those high cost meal plans that college freshmen are forced to buy. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:56am

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Oh trust me, I know. It's been a mess. They have attempted to modernize but completely shot themselves in the foot. They tried a hybrid approach of the classical 2 week delivery cycle, and 48 hour delivery for pre-orders. But screwed up both of them. 

I've thought about saying screw it and selling my soul to work for Aramark. Go get me those high cost meal plans that college freshmen are forced to buy. 

Aramark and Sodexho are soul-sucking. Aramark specifically isn't a great choice right now because they've had financial stagnation recently and decided (like Sodexho did 10 years ago) that the solution is to fire everyone, and then re-hire them at a lower pay rate. Opportunity for growth with Aramark right now is low as well. Sodexho isn't much better, but they've recently had change at the top management level, so things might be getting better soon. Compass would be the only one I'd consider of the "big 3." What kind of position are you looking for? Sales? Marketing? Account management?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 34>
  Share Topic