Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teh Star Warz:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teh Star Warz:
    Posted: 04 January 2018 at 4:25pm
So, anyone else see The Last Jedi? I thought it was pretty fantastic and it ranks high on my list where the entire series is concerned. Sure, there were a few bits that could have better served as carpeting on the editing room floor, but they were few and far between. Overall, I really, really enjoyed it. Anyone else have any thoughts?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 8:38pm
Total ripoff of the original trilogy, but just seeing the space text is a surreal feeling for me.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 9:19pm
All the new movies are soulless garbage as far as I'm concerned, basically high budget cosplay
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 9:23pm
My immediate thought was that it was great, but the more I think about it, the more things I have a problem with.  Still a good movie though. 
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 7:23am
Saw it last weekend in high anticipation.  I purposefully avoided all the spoiler sites so as not to go in with any preconceptions.  I was disappointed.  It really wasn't that good.  I can see why Mark Hamill wasn't happy with Luke's character development.  I was really hoping for a standoff between Luke and Snoke or at least something that would lead up to that in movie IX.  So, I guess it didn't meet my expectations.  Just disappointing.  I had the same feeling after watching the last Indiana Jones film.  I just felt "meh" leaving the theater.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 8:03am
See, I found TLJ to be really good. Is it a departure from the successful formula of the original trilogy? Yes. But that's a good thing in my opinion. I liked that Luke became disenchanted with the Jedi religion. I like that he was still imperfect and impulsive. Those were all things that made his character compelling in the original trilogy. He wasn't rock-solid in his faith like Obi-Wan or Yoda, but flawed like his father and thus struggled for his own internal balance with the force. I will say that TFA was definitely a rip-off of episode IV, but that TLJ departed from that in big ways and didn't feel like Empire in the least. Sure, there's a snow-covered planet and AT-ATs. Yes, the gambler/codebreaker does have some Lando Calrissian qualities (selling the good guys out to the first order), and yes, some time is spend on a boring planet dealing with the protagonist's training in the force, but other than that, I found it to depart wildly from the feeling of the original trilogy lines greatly. There's no feeling of even a minor victory or safety of any type at the end. The Rebel Alliance is just a handful of people now, and there are no rules to the force anymore. I'm really excited now to see the next in the serial series (not the Han Solo origin story) whereas I was only "Meh" going into this one due to TFA playing it safe and going for the straight nostalgia factor.

That said, Rogue One still rocks my world.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic