Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Our big dumb old house.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our big dumb old house.
    Posted: 15 February 2018 at 8:31am
Hey y'all,

I mentioned in a life update post a while back that my significant other and I both got a job together at the same university and moved, now we live together in what can only be described as a big dumb old house. I figured I'd share some pictures of it as a form of procrastination from things I otherwise should be doing. 

To the best of our knowledge, the house was built in 1908. The guy who owns it has had it in his family, on and off, since it was built. It has been hacked up and renovated and turned into a business and changed so many times since it was built that neither me, nor the owner, can seem to get any kind of consistent information about the original layout. 

It was a bed and breakfast right before it was just turned back into a place he rents out to people -- and frankly the owner is happy that he has professors living in it rather than college students. 

The front, which makes it look way bigger than it actually is:

The front, but in a snowstorm: 

The sitting area, which is a part of the big open area on the side of the house. It's nice to finally live in a place where my big ugly couches finally match their surroundings: 

The fireplace in the sitting area. One of three non-working fireplaces. I have no idea how long those logs have been in there for decoration:

The fireplace, but in Christmas time: 

The dining room, which is sort of behind the sitting area and separated by big columns:

The dining room from the other side. I have a theory that these used to be two different rooms split by a wall, but at some point they tore out the wall and replaced it with those big columns to make the side of the house open: 

This couch is for if you feel like fainting: 

The kitchen is one of the oddest parts of the whole thing. It's kinda stuck onto the side of the house in an odd way, and it has plaid wallpaper. I think it's this way because it used to be an inn, so the regular customers were not supposed to see the kitchen: 

This is The Shining tree. Every single photo of this house, going back in time to when it was an inn in the 1980s, has this artificial tree in it. Our assumption is that its soul is trapped here. We stuck it next to the fridge because the fridge is old and rusty, so it kind of hides it:

Oh, yeah here's those columns from inside the dining room + sitting area: 

Guest bedroom:

Guest bedroom from the other side. It was easy to furnish this place, both of our parents are into antiques: 

And another nonworking fireplace: 

It also has a chandelier that I always think looks like giant bottle caps: 

This is the guest bathroom, located at the end of the hall. It's the only place in the house I genuinely am a little afraid to go into and I don't know why: 

No idea why, it just feels like this bathroom wants to trap my soul in it. Also the door is small and the lighting is bad and the ceiling is low. Maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, to spruce it up, we left some Christmas lights up inside of there: 

On the upside, this tub, which I bet is good for baths. I wouldn't know, I'm too afraid of ghost hands reaching up from the water and pulling me down to the darkness below to use it: 

The hallway, which is one of the most useless parts of the house. This picture is from back when we were still unpacking, and the hallway became the staging area for everything. Now it just collects dust, and the only person who goes in there is the Roomba: 

Here's the front door we can't use. Because this used to be an inn, legally they had to put safety locks on the doors. Meaning, you can leave out of these doors but not go back into them from the outside. The only place you can enter the house from is the back door into the kitchen. Which again leads to this whole front area of the house being worthless.

One side of the porch: 

The painting area in my S/O's office room. 

Another fireplace. You can really see the woodworking.

My office area, which unlike hers, is constantly a disaster area. On the plus side I have a bird feeder in that tree outside the window, which makes for a nice show. 

Despite the lack of organization and tidiness, my office is where the TV lives. This weird piece of furniture came with the house, and like The Shining tree, is in every single photograph of this house ever. It came into use when we got the new 55" TV and realized we didn't own any furniture big enough on which to set it: 

My bedside area. That alarm clock slowly gets brighter as the alarm time gets closer, so every morning I am now awoken by a marvelous glowing orb: 

The master bedroom has this little space off to the side attached to it, and we have no idea what to do with it. So far we've made a little reading nook and that's about it:

The master bathroom. The previous people living here glued that university logo to the wall and now we can't get it off without damaging something, so we just left it. Also, double showers are pretty cool:

And finally, this. It's this weird skylight fixture they added onto the master bedroom at some point. It's so tall that even standing on the top of the ladder we have, we cannot get up there. But the actual point of interest is the tiny door up on that ledge, which I assume either 1) is the only/main access point to the attic, or 2) a portal to access the devil:

steve200 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Aluminum foil enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 1:33pm
NICE place, hay, old old old School is darn dog. Way to go.
Steve.
   Reminds me of my place. Cathy and I had 2800 square foot house, including the basemen and a big back yard, we built a rec room In the basement  with 3 HALO computers I made and ran two Internet connections over Shaw and MTS,  with a router that would combine multiple data Connections.   It would Distribute the data over both connections to make everything  very fast, smile, (I'm an computer dud from the 90's. kind of..

Later;

steve200 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Aluminum foil enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 1:40pm
agentwhale007, Thought I should say, I remember you from way back when. Have fun bud enjoy the house, (Make a fire pit in the back yard, you can get fire bricks for cheap, get a projector for movies outside, and rent a hot tub for ten for a week, that's what we did, good fun.) Later;
Cheers;
Steve

Edited by steve200 - 15 February 2018 at 1:41pm
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 8:31pm
wow, you lookin to sublet? i bring cats and mushroom cultivation
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 5:53am
Looks good. I couldn't live in a house like that. I would feel like I couldn't enjoy the furniture. My wife would probably love it though. The pictures make it look decently sized unless you are crammed against a wall in every picture.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 9:14pm
What a cool place, I love the wood and all the original doors and stuff. I couldn’t stay there at night though because it’s obviously haunted.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 7:24am
Yep, there was definitely a wall where those columns are. You can see the structural turn in the 3rd picture down on the exterior wall.

Cool place.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
steve200 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Aluminum foil enthusiast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2018 at 9:52pm
LOL, haunted. Must be
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic