Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We bought a house.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We bought a house.
    Posted: 06 July 2019 at 7:41pm
I mentioned in the other thread that we were closing on a house back in April. The buying process ended up going pretty smoothly, and now my S/O and I own a house. Its the first house both of us have bought. 

We moved in back in May and have been slowly unpacking and getting things how we want them. We were going to have company this weekend but they ended up not coming, but the house was all cleaned up for them, so I figured it was a good time to snap some pictures to share. 

Also there are two holes in the downstairs ceiling due to some unforeseen plumbing issues (A hairline split in the drain pipe coming off one of the upstairs showers was leaking and screwing up the drywall), but I have mostly hidden them via camera angle. Allow me to take you on a tour: 

(Also if any of you find yourself needing to spend the night in southeastern Georgia, we've got you covered)

Front porch area. It's not quite as glamorous as the old 1910s house we were renting with the big wrap-around porch, but it'll do. Also the birds will eat through nearly a full tube of sunflower seeds every day, so I only fill it up now about once every other day. 

The cactus corner of the front porch: 

The front hall. You can see the holes from the plumbing incident in the top left. I am the least handy person in the entire world, so my S/O is in charge of fixing them. She's measured the shape and cut the replacement drywall pieces out, I am mostly helping by cleaning up after and voicing encouraging words: 

The (formal) living room. We mostly use it for drinking coffee and bird watching. We got one of those bird watching spotting books and leave it on the coffee table.

Living room from another angle. Notice the lazy tail-less cat: 

The antique radio corner of the living room: 

The fainting couch corner of the living room: 

The pitcher and jug section of the living room: 

I start every morning with coffee and stare out this window. It's not the worst way to greet the day: 

This section is technically meant to be the dining room, but we don't need all that space, so my S/O uses it as her office area: 

Looking back from her office to the living room: 

The kitchen. I don't know how to describe the color, it's like a mix between sea-foam green and mint green, but I really dig it.

Fun story about this fridge -- when we first looked at the house, there was no ice in the ice maker, which we just assumed was because they left it turned off. The owners had already moved out and bought another house. We moved in, turned the ice maker on, and nothing. Could not figure out what the issue was. Finally scooted the fridge away from the wall and discovered there is no water line. The previous owners bought a fridge with an automatic ice maker without the ability to use an automatic ice maker. 

The breakfast nook area that we use as our main dining room: 

The TV room/den. My favorite room in the whole house. It's super cozy for reasons that will be clear in a second: 

The fireplace is what really makes this room cozy, I think. I am really excited for when it's cool enough to use this thing, which considering it's south Georgia, will be late November: 

The cat's designated area behind the couch where it watches the birds all day long: 

We got this old coffee table at a thrift store for $20, sanded it down and painted it red to put the TV on: 

Off of the kitchen, there's a "Florida room." Or at least that's what I grew up calling them. Closed-in yet non-air-conditioned back porch rooms with a bunch of windows. You know what I'm talking about: 

The "Florida room" has a window-unit AC but we pretty much never use it unless company come over for the pool and it ends up storming so we need somewhere to hang out: 

Speaking of, we have a pool: 

And a little back patio area: 

A fine place to enjoy a left-handed cigarette in the evenings: 

My flowers: 

Back in the house, up the stairs now. We've talked about repainting these, but we both really like how the paint has worn away. It makes the whole thing look, I dunno, well-worn in a good way I guess is the only way to describe it: 

The guest bedroom: 

The guest bedroom again. The bedrooms are all upstairs, and they are all on the small size, so I am super glad our big dumb antique guest bedroom furniture fit. I felt so bad for the movers. 

Get out of here you're not part of the tour: 

Guest bathroom, which is also the bathroom my S/O has claimed as hers because it's way bigger than the master bath: 

The master bedroom. That accent wall is turquoise, for some reason my camera makes it look blue: 

The other side of the master bedroom. It has his-and-hers closets, one way bigger than the other. I got the smaller one: 

The master bathroom, which is mine because it's very tiny. One of the things I don't love about the house is that both of the bathrooms have Bath Fitter showers, and because the master bath started as a smaller walk-in shower, now it's comically small: 

My office, which is decorated with all the paintings my S/O does but doesn't like quite enough to hang in the rest of the house or give to people as gifts. It's the island of misfit paintings: 

More of my office/art gallery: 

I'm trying to beat Secret of Mana this summer and so far it's not going well: 

Well, that's pretty much it. The only parts not shown are the garage, because it's currently a disaster, and the downstairs half-bathroom, because it's just a toilet and it's too small to get a good photo of. Although in the half-bath, I did hang a gigantic blown up framed photo I took in Death Valley earlier this year, so you get to stare at the desert while pooing. 

And that's the tour -- $176k and 30 years of mortgage payments. It's our first home. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 06 July 2019 at 8:00pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 9:25am
You have a gorgeous home. How much painting have you done? The paint used reminds me of a professional interior designer.

Hate owning a pool yet?
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

How much painting have you done? The paint used reminds me of a professional interior designer.

Master bedroom and guest bedroom, that's it. Everything else is as it was when we bought it -- the folks who lived here before us were realtors so I suspect they had a good eye for what works, paint-wise.  

Hate owning a pool yet?

When we were dividing up the labor, I said I'd do all the mowing and gardening if she took care of the pool, which so far has worked out well in my favor. I can walk in a straight line behind a mower without having to think much, she has to do chemistry all the time. 
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 9:04pm
Awesome house! Hopefully your life has settled down a little, you deserve it. Smile
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

I said I'd do all the mowing and gardening if she took care of the pool

I hate cleaning pools, so between this and your sheetrock repair I'm starting to think your SO does all the heavy lifting.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Too bad she has to clean out the grass clippings when you shoot them into the pool.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 3:04pm
You've done well for yourselves! Nice place!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 8:19pm

I said I'd do all the mowing and gardening if she took care of the pool

I hate cleaning pools, so between this and your sheetrock repair I'm starting to think your SO does all the heavy lifting.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Too bad she has to clean out the grass clippings when you shoot them into the pool.

Despite the fact we both have PhDs, she's way more detail oriented when it comes to learning how to do something or learning something that has a lot of very specific steps -- like pool chemistry. 

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 9:44pm
Congratulations!  Very beautiful house Whale.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 4:04pm
Dude that's so cool. Beautiful house. Congrats.

Edited by Kayback - 15 July 2019 at 4:04pm
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 5:10pm

Also there are two holes in the downstairs ceiling due to some unforeseen plumbing issues (A hairline split in the drain pipe coming off one of the upstairs showers was leaking and screwing up the drywall), but I have mostly hidden them via camera angle.

Did you do your own plumbing when fixing them and, if so, how did that go?  (Plumbing is my least favorite home repair . . . it seems like every project requires way to many trips for parts.)

I am the least handy person in the entire world, so my S/O is in charge of fixing them.

Don't feel bad, I am generally handy (have done plumbing-including hooking up a fridge to the water for an ice maker, electrical repair/replacement and minor structural) but can't patch or paint.  I am actually under a spousal edict to never paint anything related to the home/property again.

The (formal) living room. We mostly use it for drinking coffee and bird watching.

I like this room (we have one as well) but my wife would positively swoon over it, especially the amount and size of the windows . . . making the fainting couch a must have item.

The kitchen. I don't know how to describe the color, it's like a mix between sea-foam green and mint green, but I really dig it.

I like the color as well.  I also really like the cabinet doors which match our new pantry much better than our cabinet doors.  I can't tell for sure from the picture but if that is a Silestone (quartz) countertop, I think we have the same one.

Fun story about this fridge -- when we first looked at the house, there was no ice in the ice maker, which we just assumed was because they left it turned off. The owners had already moved out and bought another house. We moved in, turned the ice maker on, and nothing. Could not figure out what the issue was. Finally scooted the fridge away from the wall and discovered there is no water line. The previous owners bought a fridge with an automatic ice maker without the ability to use an automatic ice maker. 

If you haven't hooked it up yet, you can buy a line tap with an on/off valve from Ace (or almost any other hardware store) that really simplifies hooking it up to any cold water pipe.  (Do a search for "water line tap" if you want to see a picture.)

The fireplace is what really makes this room cozy . . .

I am suffering from fireplace envy, it was the one thing we wanted but had to forgo because of space concerns when we did our addition.

Guest bathroom, which is also the bathroom my S/O has claimed as hers because it's way bigger than the master bath: 

Two sinks in our master bath . . . apparently neither one of them is mine when spouse is present.

The other side of the master bedroom. It has his-and-hers closets, one way bigger than the other. I got the smaller one: 

That's life with a spouse/SO.  Had a similar closet set up of one small one and one about 2 1/2 times bigger in the original master bedroom and I of course got the one down the hall in a spare bedroom.

Congratulations on the cool house. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Did you do your own plumbing when fixing them and, if so, how did that go?

I did not, we called a pluming company. Neither of us have any skills whatsoever at that stuff, and unlike drywall, bad plumbing will destroy a whole house. Although to be fair, I'm not so sure of the skill level of the plumbing company, because we've had to call them twice (The first time they diagnosed/fixed the wrong part) and now it's back leaking again this morning. 

I think we're going to go with a different company this time. 

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

I can't tell for sure from the picture but if that is a Silestone (quartz) countertop,

It's cheap-o laminate. The little end pieces are starting to come off too, that will need to get fixed at some point. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 19 July 2019 at 1:49pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 1:41pm

between this and your sheetrock repair I'm starting to think your SO does all the heavy lifting.

I still do the heavy lifting, just in the more literal sense. I held the drywall square up the whole time while she did a chalk outline to make the template exact. 

It's more that she does anything that requires any sort of precision or technicality. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Hopefully your life has settled down a little,  

It comes and goes. My dad is still dying slowly, and probably only has months left. That causes some long, not-very-fun depressive episodes where I withdraw. But that's just the nature of things. 
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 10:52pm

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Hopefully your life has settled down a little,  

It comes and goes. My dad is still dying slowly, and probably only has months left. That causes some long, not-very-fun depressive episodes where I withdraw. But that's just the nature of things. 

Man, I am truly sorry. 
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 9:50am
Yay on the house! Sorry to hear about your Dad, that sucks... 
They tremble at my name...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 4:48pm
The goddamned leak came back so I'm filing paperwork through the home warranty folks to come fix it again. 

Good thing we didn't put the drywall back up. 
Ocasta View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ocasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2020 at 2:24am
Wow man, thats a beautiful home. 

I know you probably dont remember me, my old tag Da Hui (amongst others), but I interviewed you once for a school paper about journalism back when you where at UCF. It's awesome seeing you doing so well now, I looked up to you back then. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2020 at 11:36am
We refinanced from a fixed 30-year at 4.38% to a fixed 20-year at 2.98%. 

Sure the economy is in meltdown because of a global viral pandemic, but what a deal!

Edited by agentwhale007 - 20 July 2020 at 11:36am
TheSpookyKids87 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Heh-heh heh-heh - You said "post"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSpookyKids87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 8:17pm
Nice home, I just got a two family home myself.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 10:05am
Originally posted by TheSpookyKids87 TheSpookyKids87 wrote:

Nice home, I just got a two family home myself.

What was the first thing that broke?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic