Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

COVID-19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: COVID-19
    Posted: 15 March 2020 at 6:33pm
So...

How y'all doing?
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

spydercam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Like a mad scientist, but with Tippmanns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spydercam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 7:29am
I´m doing fine, thanks for asking !!!

The Virus is Feeling fine here in Germany, cause of compact living here with 80.000.000 on less sqaure Yards than Texas got, for example.
I like Tippmann !!!

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 4:48pm
I'm doing fine.

All "non-essential" businesses in PA are shut down and NJ (where I work in construction management) has various curfews and such.

I am very concerned about the economy. I will be able to survive unless the nation shuts down but I fear many people that I care about will not be so fortunate. I feel like we are in uncharted territory.

I truly don't know what the virus will cause. Will everyone get infected, have the sniffles, and get back to normal? Will it have a 10% mortality rate? Will everyone go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for this whole thing to blow over? I dont know.

I do have enough toilet paper.

Edit: I have a long commute which has been light since Friday of last week. It now feels like a zombie movie. I think that is making me panic more than anything

Edited by SSOK - 17 March 2020 at 7:11pm
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 7:22pm
Heading down the Winchester.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 11:11pm
The economy is done. They shot their last bullet in their defense way too early by lowering interest rates to zero. (not including the 1.5 trillion) So instead of a painful withdrawal, they did one more good dose to keep the high going of cheap debt. But the withdrawals after will be fatal. Good knowing all of you, see you in the bread lines.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 2:42pm
Classes are cancelled for the next two weeks. Going online only for the next five after that to close out the semester. 

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 7:52pm
My school has gone to distance learning. I'm considered "essential" so I have email daily and teleconferences every few days.

New calculations put mortality rate at 1.4% which is much better than previously expected. Of course, this also takes into account Chines "official" numbers, so who knows where it really sits.

Either a vaccine comes out way faster than the 18mo it normally takes, or we all get infected by 2021.

BIL is an ER doctor, he's of the mind to just let it run its course and be done with it. Mind you, he's a contrarian and his favorite saying is that a person is smart, but people are dumb.

I'm not currently worried. Now, if they close school through the end of the traditional school year, then I'll be worried as it throws a bunch of wrenches in my industry.

On the bright side of things, MD is now allowing any restaurant with a liquor license and their own delivery drivers to deliver booze to homes.

Also, I'll likely go down to the LGS tomorrow or Saturday and consign my Maverick 88 for $500 and get every penny of it. People are going nuts here buying shotguns and MSRs.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 8:58pm
I swung by the LGS on Wed to buy a WML. They were wiped out...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

I swung by the LGS on Wed to buy a WML. They were wiped out...

Yep. The LGS near me usually has about 8 or so Pietta and Uberti black powder revolvers in their case. All gone. I asked the guy who the hell bought them. He said that it was folks who came in desperate for a gun but found that they had sold out.

"What about those?"

"Uh, they're black powder arms, y'know, like civil-war era? Cap, powder and ball?"

"I mean, do they work?"

"Yeah"

"Okay, I'll buy it."

SMH. Wish I could be there to see their faces when they chain-fire the suckers,
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2020 at 10:15pm
Wow, that's astonishing.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 9:05am

Wow, that's astonishing.

It's the same people who voted in the anti-2A folks in MD that made it impossible for them to get a handgun without a qualification license, 7 day waiting period, and massive background check. They're the ones panicking and thinking they need a gun because it's the end of civilization. If it were me, I wouldn't sell them anything more powerful than a super-soaker and tell them that their votes carry weight and they need to think about it next time.

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 5:55pm
I was laid off because of "essential business", I don't know if or when I will be returning to work.  NY is locked down.  Any business that is essential is closed at 8 pm, I am expecting to see a curfew soon with the NG enforcing it. Other than a few items, the family and I have been prepared for disasters for sometime.  My concern is about those who aren't so prepared coming looking for "hand outs".  It seems there are some groups of individuals posing as NYS health officials pulling home invasions.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 1:54am
Crikey!

My town is still open for business as usual, even as the surrounding towns and counties have closed everything non-essential.  Luckily, Savannah considers liquor stores to be essential.  It seems the Pentagon finally stepped in to stop the madness in the military.  The Army finally released an order that outlines who is considered essential and that everyone not considered essential is to telework.  A full-bird colonel somewhere allegedly told his troops that "the military runs towards gunfire while everyone else runs away" when explaining how they were going to deal with the pandemic.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

A full-bird colonel somewhere allegedly told his troops that "the military runs towards gunfire while everyone else runs away" when explaining how they were going to deal with the pandemic.  

Perhaps he'd do better to consider it running towards a biological weapon in this case....
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

I was laid off because of "essential business", I don't know if or when I will be returning to work.  NY is locked down.  Any business that is essential is closed at 8 pm, I am expecting to see a curfew soon with the NG enforcing it. Other than a few items, the family and I have been prepared for disasters for sometime.  My concern is about those who aren't so prepared coming looking for "hand outs".  It seems there are some groups of individuals posing as NYS health officials pulling home invasions.

Sorry to hear you were laid off. Hopefully things get back to normal sooner than later. Looks like schools will likely reopen here in MD around April 27th, so I should be able to get all my people back on regular pay at that time.

Most everyone I know has taken several semi-auto rifles out of their main safes at this point. We're nowhere near the level of NY in terms of sheer disaster right now, but people are starting to get edgy. I've yet to go that far, but mags are loaded and all my ammo is is cans for easy grab-and-go should we need to get the hell out of Dodge and head for those WV hills to wait out any unrest in the DC metro.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2020 at 11:41pm
Thanks Tallen.  My area has been calm.  Sadly, NYC residents fleeing the virus are the ones bringing further east to my area.  The Hamptons have had a big spike in the infected.  
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 7:33am
Here in darkest Africa we went into lockdown on Friday. 21 days.

I also have my MSR and a LBV loaded up ready to grab, if needed but as I'm essential services I get to drive to work. Such fun being here for the 3 planes a day, but I'm not moaning it gets me out the house, I get pay during the lockdown and it lets me see whats happening in the world at large.

Nothing much yet. It is still early days. There was panic buying done (we only got 3 days notice of the lockdown) but I'd seen it coming so put in a couple of purchases of non-perishable and semiperishables earlier in the month. Well stocked on TP (I still dont know why that's a thing but got mine on special even before people went mad), cold and flu meds, you know. Stuff. The day after lockdown the shops were all fully stocked. We got another week's perishables

The looting started thr first day of the lockdown. One point ofbthe lockdown was no alcohol to be sold, so guess what was looted Day 1.

While it isn't as bad as those videos from India the cops and mkre importantly the military aren't taking and nonsense. Gather on the streets get klapped.

But on the whole it's going well. As many of our citizens are immuno compromised due to AIDS and TB if it gets a foothold it'll be bad.

Stay safe, wash your hands and keep the powder dry.

Edited by Kayback - 29 March 2020 at 7:36am
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2020 at 11:04pm
Glad to hear you and your family are good for now. Sorry this crap had to happen around your birthday.

Things have been quiet, but people are definitely on edge none the less. I've had 6 different formerly anti-gun friends call me for recommendations on shotguns while **edited**ing about how they didn't know they needed a license (which is now impossible to get) to buy a handgun.

WV is hoping to keep the spread to a minimum. While we don't have the Aids and TB issues you do in the RSA, we've got more than enough diabetics, asthmatics, and black-lung cases in the state that it'll all go very, very sideways if it makes its way to the more rural communities. Luckily, it all seems to be centered around the major population centers which are well equipped to handle the cases that do come their way.

MD is just surreal right now. People are either staying at home all day, every day, or continuing with their lives like nothing is happening. While the number of confirmed cases continues to rise, our death rate so far is pretty low. I'm hoping we start to see things level off over the next two weeks since it's been 3 since we started distancing measures, but we'll see.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 7:34pm
I was laid off.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2020 at 2:57pm

I was laid off.

Man that sucks. Hope you come through ok

Start of the 2nd week and the morons are being moronic. Nothing too hectic but plenty of idiots pushing for things like public transport to run at 100% capacity so long as everyone has an N95 mask (impossible to get hold of) but private cars are still restricted to 50% capacity. Fortunately that idea got shot down.

Mostly things are stil ticking along. Nothing too exciting happening. Around 1.5k cases, 8 deaths.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic