Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

COVID-19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2020 at 3:47pm
I'm patrolling with one N95 mask and a set of safety glasses. Proactive is not in my vocabulary right now.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

I was laid off.

Sucks dude, you doing okay?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I was laid off.

Yeah I'll be fine, it wasn't my forever job. Embarrassingly enough I'm making enough on unemployment right now, compared to my normal hourly rate of that job... At least until July when the extra $600 from the feds run out.

I am going back to school and getting my medic cert I'm pretty sure.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 11:44pm

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I was laid off.

Yeah I'll be fine, it wasn't my forever job. Embarrassingly enough I'm making enough on unemployment right now, compared to my normal hourly rate of that job... At least until July when the extra $600 from the feds run out.

I am going back to school and getting my medic cert I'm pretty sure.

We actually have a lot of folks in the same weird situation where UE is actually paying more until the fed coverage goes away. All of my hourlies are making more, and as soon as the lower-paid managers in my district figured out the numbers, they were all "volunteering" to take layoff until Wk1 July.... you know.... for the client's sake....

Me, I'd be fuuuuuuuudged. We wouldn't lose the house or the car or anything, but it'd screw our plans up big time and push off some debt clearing that I've been hoping to do for at least another year. I did well enough staying ahead of it that the client didn't lose any money on my end, and I'm saving them some by laying off our lowest-paid manager (who will make more on layoff than her current salary), so we'll hopefully be good. Regardless I'd hope the company would pick up my salary if worse came to worse given all the work I'm doing right now. I'm actually busier than when I'm at my real office.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2020 at 12:24pm
Yeah, I was reading the guidelines for the application. In Arizona at least, you don't even have to be laid off. If you're afraid your job will get you sick, and can quit and collect. You don't have to look for work while on UI right now. If the poorly paid CNA's or janitorial staff figure that out, our nursing homes and hospitals are screwed.

Ever thought about working for FEMA or something similar?

Edited by impulse418 - 14 April 2020 at 12:25pm
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 10:09am

I was laid off.

Sorry to hear that friend.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 10:22am
Things are OK enough here. 

We've moved all our classes online for the remainder of the Spring (Technically Summer too, but my Summer 2020 class was already online only so it doesn't change anything). Some of that has gone really well. Like in my Media Ethics course, where students were doing group presentations, I now have them doing individual vlog presentations. I encouraged them to get weird with it, and some of them have done little white board animations, some have used sock puppets, etc. It makes me smile. 

Two of my other classes have been more of a challenge. Sports Journalism had to get heavily modified because of the lack of sports. I have them writing recaps on pre-recorded games. It has worked OK, but I keep having to remind them that it's way less challenging than real-world coverage, as you cannot pause a live sporting event. PhotoJournalism had to change because I cannot really ask students to risk getting themselves or their families sick just for a college class, so I've had them documenting their own lives under COVID-19. The results have been darn good. The ones with a natural eye for visual storytelling are telling interesting stories, even if those stories are "making breakfast" and "making a bonfire in the back yard." 

Financially, the university works on a two-year delayed budget. Everything is allocated two years in advance, so the shock-waves of this hopefully won't be as bad, assuming things get up and running for in-person classes for Fall 2020. If things don't get back open by August, then in 2022 the university might be at risk for layoffs because of declining enrollment. Enrollment is the lifeblood of everything. If students decide not to enroll Fall 2020 because they don't want to take online classes, then things really start to get pinched. The two things I keep focusing on, as not to let my anxiety get out of control, is that public universities are getting bailout money that is supposed to be specifically earmarked for avoiding layoffs, and that layoffs in other sectors might mean more people deciding to enroll in college to get a degree for the post-COVID-19 world, which might level the pinch off slightly. The university has waived application fees and lowered tuition and student fees. It's essentially free to apply to Georgia Southern now, so maybe people who might have otherwise not thought about applying will give it a shot. 

I always had a tendency to be a bit of a homebody, but now I want nothing more than to go to the bar. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 15 April 2020 at 10:26am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 2:54pm

Yeah, I was reading the guidelines for the application. In Arizona at least, you don't even have to be laid off. If you're afraid your job will get you sick, and can quit and collect. You don't have to look for work while on UI right now. If the poorly paid CNA's or janitorial staff figure that out, our nursing homes and hospitals are screwed.

Ever thought about working for FEMA or something similar?

I've considered disaster management/relief at times, but I'm too far along in life to reasonably shift sectors without some serious deep-digging.

Married, young kid, two cars, house payment, etc. Makes getting another degree and switching careers a tough one to do these days.

It used to be my goal was to create work back home in WV that could support us AND inject money into the local economy there. While that's still possible, I don't know if I have the energy to pursue it anymore. Now my minimal goal is to make enough here to buy some property there so I can get back to the mountains at least a little and support the local businesses on a weekly-to-monthly basis.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 7:08pm
I might be out of work come 5/1. I have four weeks PTO saved up, but I kind of want to ask my HR people if I can be furloughed and collect instead. I feel like a bum doing so, but I don't want to be on PTO and work from home anyway.

I don't even know if I'm eligible. I haven't been unemployed since I was 17.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2020 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I might be out of work come 5/1. I have four weeks PTO saved up, but I kind of want to ask my HR people if I can be furloughed and collect instead. I feel like a bum doing so, but I don't want to be on PTO and work from home anyway.

I don't even know if I'm eligible. I haven't been unemployed since I was 17.

If furloughed/laid off, you will have to use up VACATION PTO prior to collecting unemployment. Sick days can be carried over.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2020 at 10:04pm
What's the deal with the spam filter? Do we have a list of stuff it blocks in it's drunken, power-crazed, stuper?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

What's the deal with the spam filter? Do we have a list of stuff it blocks in it's drunken, power-crazed, stuper?

It's an odd issue. Certain words that were commonly used in spam emails back when the forum switched over, but that are now fairly common in regular speech will trip it up. It's weird.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2020 at 4:47pm
I let my EMT cert lapse, so first step is to get that back. Enrolled for a class to start in late May, then when that wraps up I'll enroll in the Medic program.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:34pm
Cool!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:26pm
Taking my ham radio license next week. Being on the welfare I've had a lot of time to study and explore things I've always wanted to. Next is learn Morse code.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 4:56pm
Been working from home for... 2 months? Time isn't real.
Training instructors to go online mid-stream sucked. Fall online will suck more.

Fragility of capitalist structures and no social safety nets is why things suck more here, but fascists are just gonna double down and people are stupid (see cuomo's approval ratings).
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:10pm
Been busy restoring bubba'd firearms.

Shorty's SMLE No.1 Mk.III that I took out of the sporterized stock set and placed in a restored Drill-Parade set. Replaced all the missing parts (he had purchased them) and did the extra inletting work on the wood to get everything to fit and fire properly.

I currently have his No.4 Mk.2 stripped down and am working on the wood for it as well.

Meanwhile, I have a Yugo captured K98k that was sportered somewhere during communist rule that I got from Gibbs Rifle Co. up in WV. Barrel was uncut and it was only the stock that was butchered. Missing nose band, bayo lug, etc. but got it all sorted. I got a Yugo stock for it (full length K98k action and barrel type) and set about getting it in shape. I think 2-3 more coats of BLO and it'll be ready to re-stock.

Ordered a CMP Service Grade Garand earlier in the week and given that the AL store re-opens on Thursday, I should be nicely in line for one to ship shortly.

On top of all of that, I threw a "Screw it, here's a low bid" on a Savage-made 1943 Enfield No.4 Mk.1* (with Lend-Lease US property mark) that had the stock cut, but that was it. I won. Now I get to re-stock that sucker as well. In short, I've got 3 countries of WWII covered in less than 2 months. US Garand, Lend-Lease Enfield for the UK, and a legit K98k that only underwent banner scrubbing for Germany as well as Tito's partisans because it was a legit capture and doesn't have any post-48 markings.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:43am
Got another one finished. My M98 (captured K89k) all done and dusted:

Edited by tallen702 - 11 May 2020 at 10:46am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 2:16pm
Oh I likey Tallen!

Stumbled across a new Youtube channel called Mark Felton Productions. He is what the History channel used to be years ago. Been binging on his obscure WW2 subjects.

And I passed my 1st HAM radio license test! Will prob start studying for the higher level, and continue practice with Morse.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 5:45pm

Oh I likey Tallen!

Stumbled across a new Youtube channel called Mark Felton Productions. He is what the History channel used to be years ago. Been binging on his obscure WW2 subjects.

And I passed my 1st HAM radio license test! Will prob start studying for the higher level, and continue practice with Morse.

Cool! I've always hated Morse and have great respect for anyone who can use it. I never got the hang and always had to check a notebook.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic