Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

COVID-19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Oh I'd love an RMR but they retail for STUUUUUUUPID prices here.

It's so annoying. I was pushing for red dot pistol classes in local semi autonomous IDPA matches and got shouted down every time. "no one carries a red dot!" "unrealistic competition gear!.

Now every Tom and Harry has one and the prices are sky high. Everyone is shooting in the Carry Optics division.

How much are Holosuns there?

I shot one IDPA match when I was heavy in the competitive scene. They were a lot more uptight than USPSA (IPSC).

They are amazing, focusing on the front site was never natural for me, being able to focus on the target was a game change. My speed and accuracy dramatically increased the first time I used a RDS.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 4:46pm
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 5:49pm
So proud of my state also :(
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

I'm ready to ride the roller coaster back up.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the states getting hit hard now never got a "real" first wave compared to many others?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

I'm ready to ride the roller coaster back up.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the states getting hit hard now never got a "real" first wave compared to many others?

Some did, some didn't. Florida, for example, got hit really hard the first time (The Miami and Jacksonville areas being little epicenters) and is worse now in terms of numbers than they were at the end of April. Florida is up 259% in the last 14 days. Georgia got a huge first wave both in the Atlanta area and in the more rural Albany, and now has one of the fastest upticks in the country, adding nearly 100% more cases every 14 days. 

On the other side of things, there are places like Arizona, Idaho and parts of Texas where the virus never really had a first wave and are now getting slammed. 

I read a good write-up about it in the newspaper the other day that said that this upwards swing we're seeing now doesn't have any good single variable that explains it. It's not really the protests, because New York City cases are going down, Minnesota, the origin of the protests, is breaking even, and the state with the biggest 14-day increase is Idaho, not exactly a hotbed of anti-racist protesting. It's also not Memorial Day, as that came and went without moving the numbers much. It's not increased testing, because testing has increased in places like Connecticut, New Jersey and Maryland but the rates there are going down. Not even reopening plans can be purely blamed, as Georgia reopened nearly two months ago and is only now seeing the increases. 

About the only thing that explains it is people just not taking precautions as seriously as they should in their regular, everyday life. People are not following the guidelines to the same stringency they were in March and April -- people are not wearing masks, not washing/sanitizing hands, not avoiding unneeded contact, and not social distancing. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 9:33am
As a follow-up to that, something I saw in the paper this morning: One of the statistically significant variables among places seeing an upward trend in COVID-19 cases is restaurant spending. Places where grocery store spending is staying above-average and restaurant spending below-average are not seeing as much of an increase as places where grocery spending has leveled off and restaurant spending creeps back toward normalcy. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 29 June 2020 at 9:33am
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 11:04am
Nowhere Nebraska, we are fine. Momma working at home since City of Lincoln mayor sent non-essentials home a few months ago. She is Federal Housing Urban Development but County City Building is closed, since Federal still paid but had office set up in living room for what she does. All three kids here in Lincoln still working, one a UNL as Head Groundskeeper (gotta keep the grass mowed), one from home customer service rep for Target, last IT at Lincoln public schools doing the in house teach from home programming. So no near contact jobs.
Restaurants are every other table 1/3 capacity seating now, no more in store customer limits, WalMart and Super Saver 08-midnight, we have drive in concerts on your FM dial, Garth Brooks just did his, Big Screen at Lancaster Events Center. Lincoln is the states 'hot spot' though. Momma is up over 1500 hand made masks donated to health care, I got some GI issue covid 'manly looking' vented disc masks for me, momma wear here own 'patterned' masks (coffee filter filters).
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 7:23am
COVID 19 is screwing up my plans for buying a house.

It seems like fewer houses are hitting the market. Those that do, get swarmed with people and sell right away. Prices are going up and supply is dwindling.

This is also being compounded with people moving out of urban areas. My neck of the woods is getting crowded and moving further is really impossible.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 12:51pm
Out here on 'the farm' still quiet. Maybe 3 cars out on County RD B a day and 3 cars in. Still see roof of closest neighbor.....isolated you bet.

There is a cookie cutter home development going up on 14th south heading to Lincoln, looks like construction stopped. About 7 miles south of me. They are putting 'cable' in, can't see city folks out here without cable TV and internet. My bet they still won't get out to me with cable.

Momma has not even got a guess as to when she is back in her office. She is actually betting that her 'work at home' doing what she does will be perminant as now heating and air is on her, not the city. Feds did give her big check for office in house, cleaning out one of the storage upstairs bedrooms. Reason she thinks she is here at house till retirement.

This 24/7 so far 127days is killing us...we have not talked divorce...murder twice....no divorce.

Edited by oldsoldier - 30 June 2020 at 12:56pm
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 9:59pm
Luckily I worked 100% remote before this all started, so my day to day hasnt actually been impacted. 

Getting perspectives through my work from the behind the scenes yet on the front line personelle has been both eye opening and awe inspiring.  

Stay safe ya'll, and for the love of science wear your masks. 
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2020 at 11:29am
The University System of Georgia, after two months of stubbornly telling universities they couldn't mandate masks on campus and professors they couldn't mandate masks in their classrooms, finally got shamed into making masks mandatory in campus buildings. 

I'm happy they finally came to their senses. If Georgia is going to be the test case for bringing universities back to face-to-face instruction, then at the very least we need to be able to set our own rules for safety. Let us mandate masks and stagger class times for cleanings and mix hybrid instruction and show the rest of the country how to do it. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 3:57pm
AZ is still debating whether to have in person classes for K-12, they have lost their minds. We are terminally **edited**ed
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 3:40pm
They just requested refrigerated trucks, the morgues have ran out of room.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Much like FL, this is expected if you ask me. AZ/NM/FL are all big retirement areas. You're gonna get hit HARD with that. In MD, our biggest sector of hospitalizations and deaths were nursing homes and retirement communities.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Much like FL, this is expected if you ask me. AZ/NM/FL are all big retirement areas. You're gonna get hit HARD with that. In MD, our biggest sector of hospitalizations and deaths were nursing homes and retirement communities.

NJ and NY were using refrigerated trucks regularly.
Ocasta View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ocasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 1:36am
Here in Florida, we had a record 15k+ new cases Today We are mandated to wear masks at my job, but our customers arent, and being in the south, we have a lot of the rabid Trump supporters who refuse to wear a mask because this is a deep state plot to overthrow Trump, or something like that. 

I am legit terrified. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor, she had a double mastectomy on Thanksgiving 2018. I haven't seen my family since this began. Her medicine keeps her immune system suppressed. One of the fun new things my brain has done in my advancing age is develop major anxiety. 

I know a lot of you guys aren't religious, but I will keep all of you and your families in my prayers. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 11:20am
We just crossed the 3,000 deaths mark in Georgia. 

I looked it up for kicks and giggles, and Georgia had 81 deaths from H1N1 back during that pandemic in 2009. The 2017-2018 flu season hit particularly hard here, and even that was only 175 deaths. 

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 1:20pm
So far, we've been very lucky in my household. Either we had it early and it was mild, or we haven't been exposed. Unfortunately for me, work has required a lot of travel in the Mid-Atlantic and interaction with others. It's also meant a lot of time in grocery stores and big box stores, but so far, so good. It seems that taking reasonable precautions (mask, wash hands frequently, don't lick doorknobs and shopping carts) has been enough.
spydercam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Like a mad scientist, but with Tippmanns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spydercam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 2:52pm
I´m still fine !!!

Incredible to see what you have Numbers behind Antlantic Ocean. We have a bit over 9.000 dead People by the Virus.

Hard to see too !!!
What trash this leader is talking, each time he lift his upper lips he´s talking trash. The other a..divers just repeat the trash. I know what i´m talking about i´m german and it´s not a Long time ago since alot german brainwashed People followed an Austrian bastard and his gang. Use your brain right and don´t be lazzy and choose the first plausible answer you get by ... just sounds good but ...

@All stay healthy !!!

Edited by spydercam - 13 July 2020 at 2:53pm
I like Tippmann !!!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 2:59pm
Listened to the NYT's podcast The Daily. They covered what was happening at the University of Alabama. It is ridiculous these colleges went ahead with in person classes. Just a straight up cash grab to get that dorm and dining hall money. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic