Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to disassemble the 98 custom.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booradley172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2004 at 12:11pm
thank you for your insightful post...it helped me a lot.
SeaWolf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Doesn’t know who Big Al is...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2004 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by booradley172 booradley172 wrote:

thank you for your insightful post...it helped me a lot.

Oh really... How come I just had to go to your house and turn the front bolt around so your 98 would cock?

mymaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2004 at 7:44pm
when i put mine back together i found out that it is easiest to put the handle in at an angle cause then they suck together alot easyier i found that if u try lining up all pins at first the handle wouldnt go together and the front site spring would pop out if you gave it alittle tap to line up so put the handle in their spot first at a slite angle just enough to slide the cocker through the slot this is how i put it back together without taking the asa off  i know this looks confusing  it does to me but it is so hard to describe this
98 custom
j&j pro 1
tippy expansion chamber
rear velocity adj
sealed cock
and i also drive a 97 pontiac firebird
Menohl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Menohl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2004 at 7:54pm
I'd probably add to this to ensure that you put the ball latch back in the proper direction, I used to do this when i first got my 98C and it used to annoy the hell outta me trying to figure out whey it was acting up from time to time.

I even took it to an airsmith once... Boy did i feel like a tard, luckily enough he had a good sense of humor about it.
SeaWolf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2004 at 8:10pm
Make sure NOT to put the detent in backwards. I did it once and didn't realize it for a few hours after cleaning it. I immediatly fixed the problem, but from then on I'd chop paintballs like crazy. I thought it was something wrong with my barrel or the breach. I eventually replaced the detent and the problem was fixed. Originally, I had no idea why that fixed it. Now I think that the ball detent was bent the wrong way and therefore held the larger paintballs halfway out of the breach so that my bolt would just slice through them. If you bend your detent, I'd seek a replacement instead of having a headache cleaning your gun every game at the field on a sunny weekend.

Hat Trick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hat Trick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2004 at 8:15pm
from my own personal experience, DO NOT overtighten the power tube bolts-it will rip out the threads and your velocity will be psychotically off each time you shoot it without the bolt in, and it wont recock itself every 2 shots.
English is the official language of the Tippmann forum, not AOLish. --Homer J
lazyeyepancho8 View Drop Down

Guested: Adverts, all caps, you name it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazyeyepancho8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2004 at 8:51am
nice diagram thingie magigerre...
(Don't sell. Don't advertise. In fact, it's prolly best if you don't post at all.)
BMXer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Really rides a tricycle ... no, really!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 4:04pm

Originally posted by lazyeyepancho8 lazyeyepancho8 wrote:

nice diagram thingie magigerre...

Thanks... fixed a pic.

Customizer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Customizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2004 at 4:04pm
what do u mean by degassed?
SeaWolf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2004 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Customizer Customizer wrote:

what do u mean by degassed?

No CO2...

SamuraiPizzaCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamuraiPizzaCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 12:51pm
what is an ASA  screw or whatever. are those the ones on the grip?
quatsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quatsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2005 at 1:35pm
Hi folks,

I cleaned my 98C last night and found a few things that might save you a little time when re-assembling.

1. If your receiver halves don't fit together quite perfectly, it could be due to your tank adapter nuts shifting a bit during cleaning.Try loosening your tank adapter bolts slightly and your left receiver half should fall into place perfectly. Be sure to tighten these bolts again when you're finished.

2. Make sure you detent is facing the right way. It should face away from the front bolt so that when the front bolt moves forward, the detent compresses into its compartment perfectly.

If the detent is in backwards, the front bolt will hit it when it moves forward. It just feels wrong (rough) when you cock and fire.

I learned this the hard way (and had to take the gun apart again to fix it)!

3. That front sight spring is a pain in the butt to put back in place. Hook it around the pin, then pry the other side (the side with the wire sticking out)  into the rear hole in the front site. Hold the assembled site spring and site in place, then hook the elbow latch into place as quickly as possible.

Also, do you all dissassemble and clean your power tubes and valves? I didn't, because it looked a bit intimidating.
whoknowswho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whoknowswho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2005 at 1:11pm
I wouldn't take the valve apart unless you really have a problem.
Cowzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2005 at 6:45pm
Would anything change if I have a super drop?
jimmyeatmud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyeatmud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 1:40am

Isn't the detent also called the ball latch (newbie alert)

I just got a 98custom 3 days ago and the paintball shop in town isn't open until tomorrow so I haven’t even been able to fire it. That hasn't stopped me from trying to disassemble it. The picture in the book has the gun cocked, (like a doof, I cocked mine like the picture because I am very visual), took of the one side and stuff when flying everywhere but I eventually got everything back together. I will be using this post from now on to take it apart (cool post).

Onto my question, I stuck the detent in backwards and have been dinking around with it for a few days before I noticed that it looked kind of funny (I had the barrel off and was looking at how balls fed in) so I immediately switched it and I didn't worry until I saw posts saying that getting it backwards warrants a new one. Tippmann is closed so I can't call to ask them how much one is, but should I wait to see if it chops paint or just preempt the problem by ordering a new one?

Timbo Jimbo
Paintball Grunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball Grunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2005 at 3:35pm
that diagram saved my gun. thnx
I'm not going to call the hospital, because you won't learn anything if I do.
lumpythecamel View Drop Down

Strike 1, cruelty to animals.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumpythecamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2005 at 12:20pm
Nice post m8, well done
peachey View Drop Down
Guested for many reasons

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 12:08pm
yessss.......^^^^
MY SETUP
finaaly i have the smart parts ion

smart parts ion
Halo b with rip drive
49ci 3000psi
dye sticky grips
Chamillitary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chamillitary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 9:06pm
!!!!!Im am having so much trouble putting the gun back together its not even funny...!!!
axio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2006 at 3:27am

Hi,

I'm having trouble reassmbling my 98C. I went paintballing for the first time this weekend, and everything on the 98C worked great, except I was getting a leak from inside the gun. I believed this was due to the air supply line going into the gun, so I took it apart, applied teflon tape, and then began to put it all back together.

However, my bolt assembly is different from the one illustrated in the user manual, the pdf on the tippmann sight, and the one illustrated here. My rear bolt has two springs coming out of it, instead of one. I can't figure out which spring goes where... basically, i've tried different combinations to make it work, but after reassembling it, the cocker won't pull back far enough to let the sear catch. Please help. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here.

There is one spring and a nail-shaped metal piece that you slide through one end of the spring. The other spring set has a spring wrapped around a metal dowel on each end of the metal dowel.

Where do these springs go? Thanks for your help.

Edited by axio - 19 June 2006 at 3:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic