Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone shoot IDPA or USPSA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone shoot IDPA or USPSA?
    Posted: 10 February 2008 at 1:47pm
Figured it was a stretch... but thought maybe some folks did... Kayback was first to come to mind, at least for the IDPA (or ISPC).

Even though I am not comfortable with my own skills, I've been invited to observe and even participate in local matches. I'm eager to give it a shot, but am a bit anxious. From what I've heard from other novice shooters, the local groups are very friendly and supportive to everyone, especially new folks expressing interest.
Just wondering if anyone here had any personal experience with anything of the like?

And for those not familiar:
IDPA
USPSA
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 1:52pm
Never done it but I wouldn't mind trying.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 2:07pm

Whats the worst thing that could happen(other than the rifle exploding or something)?

I say go for it. It cant hurt.

ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Whats the worst thing that could happen(other than the rifle exploding or something)?

Hehe. Well... I'd start off with just pistol. I won't get into 3-gun to start.

Worst that could happen? Nothing, really. I'm not worried about doing poorly, as I'd be going into it expecting to do poorly.
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 2:11pm
Are you a good shot ? If so then don't worry about it.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by ShortyBP ShortyBP wrote:

Worst that could happen? Nothing, really. I'm not worried about doing poorly, as I'd be going into it expecting to do poorly.

This is the reason you would do poorly then.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 4:37pm
I want to do rifle target shooting. I think it'd be fun.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

I'd be going into it expecting to do poorly.

My point was... my apprehension is NOT due to fear of embarrassment. I have no concern of doing badly in front of strangers.
With no formal training in shooting, and absolutely no experience in drawing a weapon from holster, I do not expect to do "well" (when compared to those there who have experience). That's not to say I wouldn't try.
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Worst that could happen? Nothing, really. I'm not worried about doing poorly, as <span style="font-weight: bold;">I'd be going into it expecting to do poorly. </span>

you havent seen Shorty's Modified Weaver Stance have you?
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

Have you ever considered IDPA or IPSC? They hold IDPA comps three time a month at the S&W range by you. And the IDPA Winter Nationals are being held there next week (18th-23rd)
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 7:38pm

Have you ever considered IDPA or IPSC? They hold IDPA comps three time a month at the S&W range by you. And the IDPA Winter Nationals are being held there next week (18th-23rd)

I know, I found out last thursday when I went to the Range. Been plinging with subnosed .357 testing their hammerless models for conceal carry.

As to shoot competitive. I am a Machine Gunner plinging paper at the slow rate is as boring as cooking Molases.

O BTW I found out today that in a 2002 ADMINMAR my parts of my BLT where Awarded the Coveted Marine Combat Action Ribbon for Operation Silver Wake. Have a contact number to call but I know of the incident that sparked the Ribbon so I am in like Flint. Now I have serrious Jarhead Grunt credibity.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 8:52am
Well you are right. I do shoot IDPA. Just not with my 1911 any time soon.

The thing about IDPA is it's mostly close range shooting. I can't shoot worth a damn at 25m with my pistol, but at the sub 10m you use in IDPA I can make overlapping holes.

The best thing about IDPA is you get to move and shoot. Something you can't do on most other ranges.

Best thing to do is DL a copy of the rulebook and read it a couple of times. Don't get too hung up on it though, the people will teach you what you need to know as you go along.

My local club runs New Shooter Orientations each time we shoot IDPA. This is where we explain things to them, and get them "in the know".

All you have to do to shoot IDPA is be competent with the handling of your firearm, obey the 4 saftey laws, and listen to the range/saftey officers.

If you can load, unload, holster, draw and manipulate your firearm safely, you can shoot IDPA.

Don't worry too much if you can't do it 100% like the other guys. So long as you are safe, they will teach you. The more you do it, the better it will become.

Even though things are done on the clock, forget about it. Just run through the drills at your own speed. The slower you go the more chance there is of keeping your head if something goes pear shaped.

Keep the gun downrange at all times. Even if you have a malfunction, make the SO or RO aware of it, and if you can't fix it yourself, they will.

Read the rulebook to familiarise yourself with the sport, but don't try memorise it yet.

The important things are to listen to the shoot briefing, and listen to the range commands.

Simply put these are :
"Range is (Hot-Live-Closed)" : This means everyone not shooting must be behind the saftey line, and shooting is about to commence.

"Shooter, Facing downrange load and make ready". This is the command to draw your firearm, slap a mag in it, and chamber a round. Depending on your gun and the size of your mags, you might need to top up the 8 round mags on a 1911 style gun or something. Then either put the saftey on, or decock the gun, again depending on the type and action of the gun. Then holster it.

Once it's in the holster and loaded, don't touch it agian until the buzzer.

Then make sure you have your eye and ear protection on.

The RO should ask "Shooter are you ready". You don't have to acknowledge this if you are. Only mention if you are not.

The next command it "Standby" This means the shoot is about to start, and the go buzzer is the next thing to expect.

The timer will buzz anything from immediately to 5 seconds from the Standby command. On the buzz, draw your firearm and shoot the string as per the briefing.

When you are finished the RO will say something like "Shooter, if you are finished, unload and show clear.". This is your instruction to drop the mag and pull the slide back to eject the chambered round. The RO must be able to visually inspect the chamber to ensure the gun is eampty.

"Slide fowards" Easy, let the slide go fowards.

"Hammer down" This is the command to pull the trigger to drop the hammer. DO NOT USE A HAMMER LOWERING DEVICE OR RIDE THE HAMMER FORWARDS. This is to prove 100% for the final time there are no bullets in the chamber. Even if you and the RO messed up somewhere, this should fire the round safely into the backstop.

"Holster". Easy, put the gun into the holster.

"Range is {cold-open-safe) Go forwards and score" Easy, you can walk around the range. Your job here is to pick up any dropped mags or live rounds and follow the scorer to the targets to see how you did and check their scoring.

And that's about all you'll need for a new shooter. Things like reload-with-retention, emergency reloads, tactical priority and the like will all be explained later, as you get more proficient and by the RO at each stage, if he knows you are new, and he is a decent RO.

KBK
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Well you are right. I do shoot IDPA. Just not with my 1911 any time soon.

ACK! Squib? Factory or reload?

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling if anyone here participated in these events, it'd be you.

Local match a week from today. I am not signing up for it, but will be going just to observe. Might try for a different match three weeks from now.

After some debate amongst myself... will probably start with my P01 rather than my 1911... if anything, because I have 3x more 9mm stashed than 45ACP.

Thanks for the insight! I'm still a bit apprehensive... I hate being the __NG... but I'm excited.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 4:25am
Handload. My own to boot. I can't even blame anyone else.

Was shooting a standards shoot. This one was "on the buzzer retreat and egange targets 1-3 with 2 shots each, while moving".

Beeeeep.
draw, step, bang
step, bang,
step, bang,
step, bang,
step, Click
(CLICK? **edited** ?)
stop stepping, drop mag, rack slide.... well try to. The bushing was jammed on the bulge.

There wasn't any indication of a squib. It recoilded fully, it souded full, and the next round fed 100%. The recovered case was clean as well.

Just one of those things. I've reloaded thousands of rounds, very very carefuly, and I get a bloody squib. Basically all the money I've saved, I'm now spending on gettign a new barrel. Fortunately I also reload to tailor make my loads. (210 grain semi wadcutters at 950fps).

Barrel is getting the once over by the gunsmiths, to see if it can be salaved, but I'm also in the process of getting an STI barrel (and in South Africa it IS a process).

Anyway, back on topic, nothing wrong with being the _NG. Someone has to. I've been shooting IDPA for a 4 years, I'm a qualified Saftey Officer, and I'm STILL a _NG compared to most the other shooters.

Relax, enjoy yourself, learn something (however small it might be so you can build on it next time) and be safe.

Are you taking about a CZ-75 P01? If so that's a double action/single action gun hey? according to IDPA rules, you have to start with it in Double action mode (IIRC). This means your first shot will have to be double action, the rest single action. This could throw your game off. The 1911 is single action all the way. It's holstered cocked and locked. Draw, disengage saftey, squeeze trigger. Each trigger pull will be the same.

However, that's a concern for later down the path. Take the P01, it'll do you fine.

And don't use my reloads :P

KBK
FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 9:01am

At least he doesn't have to chrono... 

ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Are you taking about a CZ-75 P01? If so that's a double action/single action gun hey? according to IDPA rules, you have to start with it in Double action mode (IIRC). This means your first shot will have to be double action, the rest single action. This could throw your game off. The 1911 is single action all the way. It's holstered cocked and locked. Draw, disengage saftey, squeeze trigger. Each trigger pull will be the same.

Yep. I know I'll have to start from decock, and that will definitely affect where my first round goes.

I won't use reloads.   At least to start... I'm in the process of setting up my bench and my first press. And the round I decided to try first... 45ACP. I'll try not to make a KBK load.

Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

At least he doesn't have to chrono... 

Don't speak too soon.    I don't think my local match uses 'em... but chronos do play a part in some competition. As if my skill hurdle wasn't high enough... I gotta contend with my nemesis.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 10:16am
who here shoots in service rifle matches?
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 1:36pm

I've shot in some cadet rifle matches. Done pretty well too.

L81 .762

I have no idea what you guys are talking about though.

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 2:44pm
Pistol matches.Speed shooting match I believe. I watched a few on the Outdoors channel.  Looks fun.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 2:46pm
Shorty, yeah, that's how I started as well. (Except with my 1911). I've got over 1.5K once fired .45ACP cases from shooting factory ammo.

Just make sure you shoot boxer primed ammo, and pick up your brass (If your range allows it of course).

KBK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic