Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The future of paintball? from the past!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skrip00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The future of paintball? from the past!
    Posted: 15 August 2004 at 12:52am
current paintball guns shoot .68 cal rounds.  These are spherical and very similar to the rounds used by firearms over 150 years ago!

a simple solution: make balls smaller.  drop it down from .68 to .50 or .45 cal.  This leads to more balls per hopper and lighter weight/mass, smaller size (less resistance) leading to improved accuracy.

just look at airsoft and how tiny balls used there are very accurate.

with the current technology behind ball-making being as advanced as it is, transitioning shouldnt be a problem.

this seems to be the next logical step in paintball since we have maxed out performance from the power source we use, to the guns, to the barrels.  Now all that needs to be changed is the ball.

there are major issues though.  The first is practicality.  No one has .50 cal paintballs yet, or paintball guns. 

If a few companies get together and begine making kits for mainstream guns (like the tippmans and spyders) to modify them to fire smaller rounds.  For the M98C, a modified bolt and reciever attachment can be made, along with a new elbow, and a new smaller barrel.  This would be interesting to see since we dont really know how using smaller paint rounds can affect gameplay.

in speedball, where spamming paint everywhere is the name of the game, moving to a smaller round allows players to carry more balls.  In woodsball, smaller balls are less hindered by branches and cane travel further while being less susceptible to air resistance.

i dunno, this is an idea i was toying with. 
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 2:24am
Its been brought up before.

Basically, its completley unfeasible.  In order to rotate to smaller rounds, barrels, hoppers, and guns have to be changed to accomidate smaller rounds.  This would be a major inconvinience for the player, as he would have to buy all new parts for his gun.  Even if you kept the old size around, it would still be terrible.  Companies would have to either pick a calibier to work with, or make products for both, which would make things very complicated.  And as for manufacturing the paintballs, the companies would either have to make one caliber or another, or both.  If they make both or smaller balls, they have to make new machinery, which costs money and would raise the price.

Another thing is the size of the splat.  Currently, the offical size of a splat that results in elimination is about the size of a quarter.  A smaller projectile would hold less paint, therefore making a smaller splat.  Tournaments would have to either pick a calibier for tournament play, or somehow work out a system where splats can be judged for both size balls.  The problem is even if such a system is developed, how do you know who shot it, and what calibier it was?  It would make things very complicated.

Also, have you ever been hit with paint filled BBs?  They dont break too well.  The smaller the ball, the les force is applied to it when it hits, making it harder to break.  The balls would break less frequently.

Along side all that, the balls would fly faster, which would mean a new chrono limit, and possibly new saftly gear.  New rules would have to be made and everything would be very complicated.

In a perfect world, I think it would work, but at the moment, I doubt it will.

Real Men play Tuba

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1859/newsmall6xz.jpg">

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
BigD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 8:08am

How could you distinguish a hit with those rounds and say... splatter fire.

Tippmann 98 Custom
J&J Ceramic 14 in.
VL Revolution w/ X-board
Rufus Dawg Double Trigger
Drop forward
Rocket Cock II
Vert. Adapter
DOP X-Core
DYE Sticky Grips
Dye Invision
skrip00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skrip00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 9:26am
the trick is to make the balls smaller, but not as small as airsoft rounds...

.50cal is smaller, but still large enough to hold a good ammount of paint, almost the best of both worlds.

its possible.  all you need is a large (or small) company to force change... or a group of companies. If its done right, they will convince players that .50 cal is superior, and for many players, upgrading (and spending money) is something they do no matter the cost.
TIPPMANN P8NT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIPPMANN P8NT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 10:38am
Originally posted by skrip00 skrip00 wrote:

a simple solution: make balls smaller.  drop it down from .68 to .50 or .45 cal.  This leads to more balls per hopper and lighter weight/mass, smaller size (less resistance) leading to improved accuracy.

Thats as far as I am going to read. Why?..... Do you have any idea how hard it would be for a juge to see the paint and call you out...

"Caution, Lethal in large doses" www.freewebs.com/teamlethaldose

Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 11:24am
The paintball would be affected (or is it effected, dang, wheres Admiral when you need him) by the wind more than the .68
warmonger83 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warmonger83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 2:26pm

No one has .50 cal paintballs yet

wrong, they actually make them for blowguns
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!
98God View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ya, the joke did get you Strike 1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 3:25pm
it would be easier to wipe....smaller ball= smaller splatter
maroon out View Drop Down
Not "moron" - Geez!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maroon out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 3:57pm
I say we just fill the paintballs with a flammable liquid that would burst into flames whenever broken.

That way the refs would know to pull anyone screaming or ablaze.

Watch your thoughts they become words
Watch your words they become actions
Watch your actions they become habits
Watch your habits they become character
Watch your character it becomes your destin
BigD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 5:02pm

Originally posted by maroon out maroon out wrote:

I say we just fill the paintballs with a flammable liquid that would burst into flames whenever broken.

That way the refs would know to pull anyone screaming or ablaze.

I keep telling my friend that they need to make liquid nitrogen or mercury filled paintballs. then we can hunt the deadliest game of all... man.

Tippmann 98 Custom
J&J Ceramic 14 in.
VL Revolution w/ X-board
Rufus Dawg Double Trigger
Drop forward
Rocket Cock II
Vert. Adapter
DOP X-Core
DYE Sticky Grips
Dye Invision
jigglydude View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
My title got <krl>’ed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jigglydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Its been brought up before.

Basically, its completley unfeasible.  In order to rotate to smaller rounds, barrels, hoppers, and guns have to be changed to accomidate smaller rounds.  This would be a major inconvinience for the player, as he would have to buy all new parts for his gun.  Even if you kept the old size around, it would still be terrible.  Companies would have to either pick a calibier to work with, or make products for both, which would make things very complicated.  And as for manufacturing the paintballs, the companies would either have to make one caliber or another, or both.  If they make both or smaller balls, they have to make new machinery, which costs money and would raise the price.

Another thing is the size of the splat.  Currently, the offical size of a splat that results in elimination is about the size of a quarter.  A smaller projectile would hold less paint, therefore making a smaller splat.  Tournaments would have to either pick a calibier for tournament play, or somehow work out a system where splats can be judged for both size balls.  The problem is even if such a system is developed, how do you know who shot it, and what calibier it was?  It would make things very complicated.

Also, have you ever been hit with paint filled BBs?  They dont break too well.  The smaller the ball, the les force is applied to it when it hits, making it harder to break.  The balls would break less frequently.

Along side all that, the balls would fly faster, which would mean a new chrono limit, and possibly new saftly gear.  New rules would have to be made and everything would be very complicated.

In a perfect world, I think it would work, but at the moment, I doubt it will.

covers just about everything
Ruff Neck View Drop Down
Guested: Stupid spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruff Neck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2004 at 7:35pm

the trick is to make the balls smaller, but not as small as airsoft rounds...

.50cal is smaller, but still large enough to hold a good ammount of paint, almost the best of both worlds.

its possible.  all you need is a large (or small) company to force change... or a group of companies. If its done right, they will convince players that .50 cal is superior, and for many players, upgrading (and spending money) is something they do no matter the cost.
Tippmann 98c

-Flatline
-2xTrigger
-12v Revvy
-RVA + RCS
-Steel Bolts
-Trigger Stop
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 5:28am
If the ball is smaller, its lighter. As said, that means it will be affected by wind more. But it will also have less mass, less inertia, and wouldnt fly as far before the wind resistance would shave the speed off.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 9:27am

current paintball guns shoot .68 cal rounds.  These are spherical and very similar to the rounds used by firearms over 150 years ago!

a simple solution: make balls smaller.  drop it down from .68 to .50 or .45 cal.  This leads to more balls per hopper and lighter weight/mass, smaller size (less resistance) leading to improved accuracy. Less mass= less inertia= less distance

just look at airsoft and how tiny balls used there are very accurate. Ever notice airsoft paintballs don't break after about 25 feet?

with the current technology behind ball-making being as advanced as it is, transitioning shouldnt be a problem. What technology? They still use a mold to make them.

this seems to be the next logical step in paintball since we have maxed out performance from the power source we use, to the guns, to the barrels.  Now all that needs to be changed is the ball.

there are major issues though.  The first is practicality.  No one has .50 cal paintballs yet, or paintball guns. 

If a few companies get together and begine making kits for mainstream guns (like the tippmans and spyders) to modify them to fire smaller rounds.  For the M98C, a modified bolt and reciever attachment can be made, along with a new elbow, and a new smaller barrel.  This would be interesting to see since we dont really know how using smaller paint rounds can affect gameplay. KIT????? New barrel, new front bolt, new powertube, new body.

in speedball, where spamming paint everywhere is the name of the game, moving to a smaller round allows players to carry more balls.  In woodsball, smaller balls are less hindered by branches and cane travel further while being less susceptible to air resistance. once again, less distance less inertia.     Slinging paint isn't the name of the game. Ever notice that a good front player onmly carries a pod or 2? Only back players lay out the paint.

i dunno, this is an idea i was toying with. 
Longhorn424 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhorn424 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 6:40pm

Again, nice to dream about but nearly impossible to make happen. Tippmann alone would have to spend about $250,000 in research.. $400,000 in delevolpment.. $30,000 in testing/prototypes.. $10,000,000 in new machinery to make the guns... $5,000 for new paintball molds..

Total: $10,685,000 a.k.a. WAYYY more than it's worth.

(again that's only for Tippman/Werks alone)

Those of you who don't see me.. are those of you who should fear me.
paintballman_13 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballman_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2004 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Longhorn424 Longhorn424 wrote:

Again, nice to dream about but nearly impossible to make happen. Tippmann alone would have to spend about $250,000 in research.. $400,000 in delevolpment.. $30,000 in testing/prototypes.. $10,000,000 in new machinery to make the guns... $5,000 for new paintball molds..

Total: $10,685,000 a.k.a. WAYYY more than it's worth.

(again that's only for Tippman/Werks alone)

Where did you get those prices from? Also why did The Guy post the same thing as Enos?
SatansEnemy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SatansEnemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2004 at 12:43am

Originally posted by 98God 98God wrote:

it would be easier to wipe....smaller ball= smaller splatter

im sorry but if your not going to play fair, why even play???

if your hit call it. i mean if i ever see someone wipeing paint at my field, they will not be welcome back. i swear lil babies that cant play fair are showing their lack of skill for the game of paintball. i cant win fair so im going to cheat.

and im not saying that you do, but i know it happens, and those that do should be kicked out of the field for a year. should be posted at every field.

triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2004 at 7:22pm
they should make .50 cal sized paintball pistols that way it would be more of a pistol and you could actually use it like one.
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2004 at 10:57pm

Too bad you cant use one of these fer paintball

that way no one would be able to wipe off the paint even if that person tried.

Do not steal....the government hates competition!
callmebob3 View Drop Down

Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmebob3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2004 at 12:09am
how about no
peas and luf
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic