Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Foulmouth

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2004 at 10:16pm
haha yeah mabey
Mag shooter
Buckwheat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2004 at 8:46pm
Sniping is possible in paintball. You all seem to think sniping is shooting a long distance, it is not. Sniping is the ability to shoot someone with your marker, and have it quiet enough and be well hidden enough for the target not to know where the shot came from.

No one has ever had a ball come out of nowhere and hit you, and you never saw or heard the shooter?
SR_Crewchief View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 8:54am
Time for the next round of the SR_Crewchief lecture tour:

First some basics need to be established. The game is paintball and for the purposes of this class it is played in the woods where the terrain dictates that you’ll be engaging each other most of the time at between 20 and 25 meters. (In other words close range) It is played most often by 2 opposing sides of roughly equal size. For all intent and purposes this game is modeled on military small unit combat.

Now several you are going "whoo hoo, my kind of sniper country"…without knowing what makes a sniper. Many of you have gone to the dictionary and found a reference saying something to the effect that a sniper is someone who fires from concealment and have used this a your basis for your claim to being one in paintball. That's all well and dandy, except you ignore the rest of the definition.

snip·er ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sn p r)n. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth EditionCopyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Now you’ll note that this expanded definition is still quite general in it scope, after all anyone who squats behind bush to fire is a sniper which is not the case.

So, since the dictionary has not resolved this we must consult the experts for a better definition of what makes a sniper in our chosen environment. It happens that I’ve had the opportunity to do just that from time to time in my 22 years in the Army.

In summary here are the extreme basics of what is an effective sniper:
· A superior marksman
· Expert knowledge in the art camouflage for concealment
· The ability to approach the target without being detected
· Engage the target from beyond effective range of return fire
· The ability to engage the target without revealing your position
· The ability to egress the area after successfully engaging the target without being positively identified and engaged

The first three of these points are possible in the game of paintball, but do not make you a sniper, they just take some training and practice.

Let’s look at them one at a time.

A superior marksman

Basically someone who’s shooting skills are well above that of the average player. No big problem here, skill levels very, some people are just plain better than others.

Expert knowledge in the art camouflage for concealment

This one is a little tougher. It takes knowledge of what will fool the eye into not seeing what is really there. It’s still doable though. Trained military have an advantage over the someone whose camouflage skills are solely based on hunting. Not because the non-military hunter is any less skilled but because of who the camouflage is intended to fool. But once armed with the knowledge of what the differences are this isn’t even a problem. So, yes this can be effectively applied to paintball.

The ability to approach the target without being detected

This one is a bigger problem. If just taken as being able to move close enough to a player that is already in place to make your shot undetected is very difficult. Since instinctively humans are hunters, our attention is automatically drawn to movement or things that are out of place. It’s takes someone that is extremely skilled in moving undected to pull this one off. But I have seen it done.

I should add to this the ability to setup a position that provides an undetected position from which to shoot that covers an area you expect your opponent to move through. A basic ambush.

Both require an undetected shooting position and can be effectively applied to paintball depending on skill level

The last three points are where the concept of a sniper in paintball fails.

Engage the target from beyond effective range of return fire

No matter what you do, as long as everyone has the same approximate muzzle velocity, everyone has about the same effective range. Yes, that means Flatlines too. While Flatlines do have the ability, do to an aerodynamic backspin, shoot farther than other barrel systems the paintball still loses velocity at the same rate. What this means is that a paintball from a flatline loses the energy to break its shell at the same rate as one fired from a conventional barrel. The advantage of the flatline is initial flat trajectory that paintball has, which allows someone to fire under foliage that would otherwise break the ball. (The first failed point in being an effective sniper)

The ability to engage the target without revealing your position

Since the effective range is around 20-25m means that when you fire you have effectively revealed your general position. What I mean is this. Your shooting from such a close range that either the pop of your ball leaving the barrel or the sound of your bolt cycling (or both) will give your general position away to anyone with average hearing as far away as 40m. Unless you are only engaging 1 or 2 people or are extremely lucking you yourself can now be effectively counted as a mission kill. (The second failed point in being an effective sniper)

The ability to egress the area after successfully engaging the target without being positively identified and engaged

What this means is the ability move to a new shooting position after having engaged a target without being detected and counter-engaged your self. Since it’s been demonstrated that you can’t effectively engage a target without revealing your initial shooting position and exposing yourself to effective counter fire this one automatically fails. (The third failed point in being an effective sniper)

Now just because you can’t effectively apply all of the above tactics of what makes an effective sniper doesn’t mean that the first 3 listed can’t be applied to paintball. Do they make you a sniper? No. But they do give you the ability to setup an effective close ambush. Just a word of advice here, bring along several friends and you might even be effective at it.
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 9:02am
Way to go SR_Crewchief , good to see you again , how come nobody wants to be a Sharpshooter ?, LOL, thats possible in paintball ! (and as close to sniping as anybody will ever get in this game )
SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
Amy's Angel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 2:13pm
Now listen up ladies,

I'm gonna say this once and for all. Sniping IS possible. Like I said in my other post, Armotech makes a paintball rifle perfectly suited for that job.

And, no, it is not hard to look through a scope with your goggles on. Ive tried it. It is as easy as looking down a scope without the blimey goggles on.

And, jus to tell you... it is not required to have a silenced rifle to pull off this trick. Jus get a perforated barrel... cuts the chatter down about 75 %.

Alright, Peace out and rock on.

Im outta here...
NOW REMEMBER KIDS... FLIES SPREAD DISEASE... SO KEEP YOURS CLOSED !!!
noahsoccer3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 5:04pm

the best sniping guns is a a5 with flatline

one thing you have to worry about is that ur velocity is too high aroung 270 will work.you wamt a comp air system response double trigger shroud i like scope so i can see the people before the can see me.best to shoot compressed air shoots alot harder.but the only way to snipe is in woods ball or a sniping screnario.

noahsoccer3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by ScarFace22 ScarFace22 wrote:

I think its time for old soldier to come in and prove to these newbs that there is no such thing as snipering in paintball.
DMN 0166 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 5:08pm

Originally posted by Amy's Angel Amy's Angel wrote:

Now listen up ladies,

I'm gonna say this once and for all. Sniping IS possible. Like I said in my other post, Armotech makes a paintball rifle perfectly suited for that job.

And, no, it is not hard to look through a scope with your goggles on. Ive tried it. It is as easy as looking down a scope without the blimey goggles on.

And, jus to tell you... it is not required to have a silenced rifle to pull off this trick. Jus get a perforated barrel... cuts the chatter down about 75 %.

Alright, Peace out and rock on.

Im outta here...

you do that, go have fun with your "scope", "be the bush."

your playing paintball, your not in the freakin army. and just because a gun looks real (armotech) doesnt mean its a better "sniper gun".  a cocker, or other high end gun is much more accurate, and quiet.

DMN 0166 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by noahsoccer3 noahsoccer3 wrote:

.best to shoot compressed air shoots alot harder.

that makes no sense at all. no matter what propells your paintball, its not going to shoot any harder than any other gun shooting the same fps.

Ariakon_Eagle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by DMN 0166 DMN 0166 wrote:

Originally posted by noahsoccer3 noahsoccer3 wrote:

.best to shoot compressed air shoots alot harder.

that makes no sense at all. no matter what propells your paintball, its not going to shoot any harder than any other gun shooting the same fps.

Ah...He'll learn. My friends are the same way. There the kind of people that judge a player by his stuff. And they think that hp make hit a lot harder. It wont change unless you raise the FPS. He'll learn eventually.

You call the Eagle, Eagle does the rest.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 6:49pm
DMN 0166,

I never said I was in the army. I am just saying that sniping is possible. You dont have to be a blimey bush or anything. Just a good shot.

Now you ladies have a good day. I am outta here.
eagle_eye View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 6:58pm
Besides in the Millitary snypers are wussys.
watch your back
Unconditional View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2004 at 9:43pm
Sniping in paintball..wow......if you want to talk about paintball, play airball......not go into the woods, hide in a bush and wait..thats hunting, not paintball
Dude...I own you.
Black to pewter Nasty impulse
AI trigger frame
CP Reg.
Crossfire 47/3000
SS freak
SP Mini LPR with tape worm
Vision (duh)
CCM low rise
Egg II Z boarded
Blue Profiler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 6:08am
I'm absolutely amazed at how many of you will keep making the same unsupport statements. This tells me a few things:

You refuse to read anything that is more that a few short sentences.

You'd rather post a personal opinion that can't or won't support.

or

You see a thread topic and arbatrarily post a response without reading anything.

Some of the rest of you actually do read a thread an them deside whether or not your going to enter the discussion.

Which of the above to you thing adds more value to this or anyother forum?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 6:12am
Originally posted by eagle_eye eagle_eye wrote:

Besides in the Millitary snypers are wussys.

Obviously someone who hasn't a clue what he's talking about.

If you think this makes you look 'cool', it doesn't.
Dead Man Walkin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 2:04pm

Originally posted by Ariakon_Eagle Ariakon_Eagle wrote:

You cant snipe in paintball...Paintballs just cant go far enough or accuarate enough to be able to snipe....If you just want one with good accuarcy, you can make any gun have good accuaracy(except for maybe a brass eagle)

Not to slam you or anything but techniqally you can too "snipe" in paintball it's just in the way you do it. My father "snipes" a lot when we play. In paintball sniping is more or less hiding and waiting untill a player gets the right amount of distance from in and then shooting him all without him and his team seeing you. You are a ghost or should be.

Anyway a pro carbine in my opinion is a fine gun for sniping because it is very accurate.

oh and by the way not to slam you again but brass eagle sucks

Edited by Dead Man Walkin
Robert_Hawker View Drop Down
Strike 1, S-bomb 10-7

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 10:05pm
I have said this before but i seams i have to say it again i have a buddy who is a marine core sniper and he uses like 50 balls a day where as i use just under 2000 and he says that there is no sniping in paintball. now whos opinion should we trust a trained professional or a 14 year old twit with a computer??
Tipp A-5
Opsgear Saw Shroud
Opsgear G36 Folding Stock
16" j&j

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 5:48am
See ladies,

Sniping IS possible. Thank you, and have a berry mice day.

I am outta here.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 5:51am

SR_Crewchief wrote:

I'm absolutely amazed at how many of you will keep making the same unsupport statements. This tells me a few things:

or

You see a thread topic and arbatrarily post a response without reading anything.

Some of the rest of you actually do read a thread an them deside whether or not your going to enter the discussion.

This junkie has TOO much time on his hands... Honestly... you dont come into a heated discussion where everything is coherent and then blurt THAT OF ALL THINGS out... Get a life pal...   
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2004 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Amy's Angel Amy's Angel wrote:

SR_Crewchief wrote:

or

This junkie has TOO much time on his hands... Honestly... you dont come into a heated discussion where everything is coherent and then blurt THAT OF ALL THINGS out... Get a life pal...   

Son, I'm going to show a lot more restraint with you than I normally would.

In the future, before you go and spout drivel like this again you should really try to learn what your talking about. More importantly you should actually have something intellegent to say. As yet you have not.

Try to do a little research. Maybe even read this topic. Better yet, try searching this forum with the key word "sniper". You'll find that this subject pops up on a fairly regular basis. You'll also find that a great majority of the posts are nothing more that somebody taking a position based on personal opinion. Then your find that someone like myself will come along and try to educate about the application of tactics from long personal experience, real world experience.

Junkie?? Sorry, the strongest thing I touch is my beer. Try again.

Heated discussion? I don't see it in this thread.

Coherent? With the lack of supportable substantiated statements that form the majoraty of this thread, NOT!!

Get a life?? Son I got boots older that your acting.

Now if you really what to particapate in an intellegent discussion, please do, it's healthy for this forum and the education of the membership. If you just want to drop your little one liners, go someplace else.

To the rest of you that just finished reading this rant, I appologize that you had to see that. But a personal attack such as his required this form of response. That's all I'm planning of saying on this matter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic