80 [62.02%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:20pm
Proof that organized religion attracts fools like moths to a flame.

If only i was in college, this would make a nice thesis.
ScarFace22 View Drop Down
Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:20pm
Really I haven't seenm him actually fully write out his morals and from what I've seen he still has yet to deny abortion is morally wrong and he favors the use of condoms. That seems pretty immoral if you ask me. Please all of you just go back into your little hole.

Check my thread in the Great guns thread for Timmy tech help or PM me
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:18pm

Originally posted by ScarFace22 ScarFace22 wrote:

I never said you didn't. re-read my post and you'll see that I was said either had no morals or had them and didn't stand up for them.

Ok...  So why do you think I am not standing up for my morals?  What do you think I am doing right now?

Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:16pm

I have no respect for morons like you Enos and Clark who have no morals or or have morals and don't stand up for them. 

I have no respect for narrow minded fools.

How has Clark not stood up for his morals? He has pointed out how he feels, and done so in a manner that makes you look decidedly dumber than...everyone.
Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:15pm
I never said you didn't. re-read my post and you'll see that I was said either had no morals or had them and didn't stand up for them.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:13pm

I have no respect for morons like you Enos and Clark who have no morals or or have morals and don't stand up for them. 

Why do you say that I have no morals?  I have plenty of morals, just not the same as yours.  Different <> Zero

Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:11pm
Well freaking goody for you. I have no respect for morons like you Enos and Clark who have no morals or or have morals and don't stand up for them. 

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:08pm
I went to a christian school from kindergaden to 10th grade. I was never taught that condoms were morally wrong, of course condoms were never discussed, which is probably why you had at least 1 couple of teenage parents a year.

I cant even begin to articulate how angry jesus freaks make me. Its probably because i value freedom above all over issues, and whenever some narrow-minded idiot shows up and starts telling me what i can or cant do, i tend to lose control.

Putting aside all specific issues, how can you think you have the right to sit there and rail on peoples personal choices and beliefs? Thats pure and simple ARROGANCE, lack of respect for anyone else, and therefore you get no respect from me.

Organized religion is crap, plain and simple. Spirituality and religion are two vastly different things, something the jesus freaks never seem to have the capacity to grasp.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:57am

What I meant was in catholic, and christian schools and private schools abortion and the use of condoms is taught as being morally wrong.  

That is where you are completely wrong.  Most secular private schools have a pretty mainstream view of things.  And while most Catholic schools speak out against contraception, many Protestant schools, while still preaching celibacy, do not proclaim contraception a sin.

To my knowledge, the RC church is the only large denomination that wholesale stands against contraception and family planning.  Most other churches have no problem with contraception in otherwise acceptable circumstances (like marriage).

Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:50am
Really do you go to a catholic school or a christian school? I have all my life and I have always been taught that those things are morally wrong, So please don't try to tell me that those schools don't teach that those moral issues are not taught in catholic and christian schools. I think I would know, you on the other and obviously do not know what you are talking about.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:47am

What I meant was in catholic, and christian schools and private schools abortion and the use of condoms is taught as being morally wrong.  

You are just digging yourself a deeper hole by the minute here...

(And you are still wrong about the schools, BTW, and triply wrong about the colleges)

Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:45am

Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Good luck being a teenage father. Society changes greatly, religion changes little. To not use condoms may be a sin in your book, but it's called intelligence in mine.

Religion can change alot unless your to ignorant to listen to the beliefs the religion. As for being a father I don't have any kids now and I don't plan on having any until I get married. When I do have kids I will teach them morals just like my mom and dad taught me.

Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:42am

Ah..I messed up when I typed that. What I meant was in catholic, and christian schools and private schools abortion and the use of condoms is taught as being morally wrong.  

Edited by ScarFace22

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:09am
Good luck being a teenage father. Society changes greatly, religion changes little. To not use condoms may be a sin in your book, but it's called intelligence in mine.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 10:47am

Im living in the dark ages. Funny thing is in all modern highschool and college morality classes it is still taught that abortion and the use of condoms are both morally wrong. Maybe if you got out of your little liberal box there and woke up to reality you would see there are alot of people who agree with me. 

The bolded part is evidence that you need to get out more...  Good lord - you are even more disconnected than I thought.

BTW, I already said that there are many people who agree with you.  You are, collectively, a tiny tiny minority (on the condom issue, not on abortion), but yes, there are many who agree with you.

Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 10:41am
Im living in the dark ages. Funny thing is in all catholic, and christian schools and private schools abortion it is tuaght in morality that the use of condoms is morally wrong.   modern highschool and college morality classes it is still taught that abortion and the use of condoms are both morally wrong. Maybe if you got out of your little liberal box there and woke up to reality you would see there are alot of people who agree with me. How can you say I am out of touch with morality what in gods name are you talking about. Are you that ignorant and that self centered in your liberal ideas. Again I say how is sucking the brains out of a baby more moral then having the baby and keeping it or putting it up for adoption.  You have no morals stop pretending like you do. Suckig the brains out of a baby is not moral at all and anyone who thinks its ok is just a self centered, ignorant liberal. Also if moderan society is with your ideas then how come the #1 concept that helped determine the election this year was morality. So pretty much what your saying is EVERYONE is out of touch with modern society since the #1 issues this year was morals. It seems like the only ones out of touch are you and your liberal screwballs from california and other liberal states.

Edited by ScarFace22

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 10:33am

No, Scarface, opposition to birth control is straight out of the Dark Ages.  (Although, frighteningly, it was illegal in CT until 30 years ago)

Yes, many people hold that belief, and you are not alone.  What makes that view belong in the 14th entury is the sheer mass of people who do not believe it.  You are out of touch with current thought, current morality, and current society.  You are, quite literally, living in the Dark Ages.

Of course, you may be right, and we may all be going to Hell for using condoms.  That, however, in no way changes the fact that you are living in the wrong century.  You may as well be arguing in favor of the Rule of Thumb.  It may also be "right", but it still has no place in today's society.

Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 10:26am

Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

I hereby exorcise thee back to the Dark Ages from whence thou came.  Shoo.

No its still very modern, maybe if you actually had some morals you would know that. Also I agree with admSenn, people like you get so caught up on "constitunial rights" that you forget whats morally right. Abortion is killing get over it. Life starts as soon as conception starts. Its killing when they take that baby, cut its head open and suck its brains out so it will die. How in Gods name can you or anyone think that is morally right. If thats not an act of inhuamanity and an act of the living devil then what is? People like you are freakin liberal, inmoral, morons.

Edited by ScarFace22

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 8:52am

Originally posted by SandMan SandMan wrote:

With our basic culture being a critical parameter in my argument, as it should be, a certain set of assumptions can be made; one of those assumptions being the assumed sovereignty of sentient human beings.

Absolutely not true.  History does not support that claim, unless history begins with the Declaration of Independence.

The Declaration of Independence was a revolutionary document in terms of social thought.  The idea that each man was created equal was new and revolutionary, and the idea that each man had the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" was even more revolutionary.  Until this point, these ideas had been expressed only as theories, by John Locke and the like.  To claim them as political reality was truly contrary to the history of Western Europe, both in terms of law and moral beliefs.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 8:44am

Originally posted by SandMan SandMan wrote:

First, "murder" is not purely a legal construct. It is the legal expression of a moral trespass. It is also a word with a set, though admittedly changeable, meaning.

By your logic, we might as well say that "green" refers to the underside of one's foot and "larceny" refers to the crime of picking one's nose in public. Such relativism is incapable of making a meaningful point.

There are, then, two homonymical words "murder", which you are attempting to combine into one.

"Murder" - unlawful killing.  Legal idea created by society.

"Murder" - immoral killing.  Moral concept, and much more difficult to understand/explain.

The two are clearly not unrelated, but neither is the relationship between the two obvious.  This is the point that I am trying to make.  Just because somethings is legal "murder" does not automatically mean that it is moral "murder", any more than something not being legal "murder" means that it is necessarily not moral "murder".

Is there a relationship between the two?  Almost certainly.  But not nearly as strong as what Senn is suggesting.

Quote You're ignoring the origin and intention of laws in general, which is to create and maintain order.

Generally agree (except as to the ignoring part).

Quote Given the documented structure and morality of the United States and indeed Western culture in general, this structure includes the preservation of the rights of all independent human beings.

In the context of "murder", I absolutely disagree, unless you are defining yourself into truth, and then this is true only in the most banal sense.

History is replete of societies where killings that would be considered murder were fully acceptable, or considered only minor violations.

By old Scandinavian law, if you killed a man, you had to buy him a slave to replace the lost labor - the killing itself was not a significant legal wrong (although the brother was free to avenge).

Dueling, and similar permitted practices, have always allowed people to kill for minor perceived insult.

English kings had their wives beheaded because they were thought to be adulterers.

"Witches" were executed in Salem for what, at worst, was an expression on independent thought.  "Witches" were executed in Europe for far less.

Sharia law requires a father/brother to kill a sister/daughter who has been raped.

Some societies allow(ed) killing to protect property, other did/do not.

In Texas you can shoot a trespasser.  In Illinois that is murder.

And, of course, there is the great big exception - war.  Once some head of state has declared "war", almost all rules are suspended.  Killings that would clearly be murder in any other circumstance are suddenly not only permitted, but required.

Separately, there are also permitted killings of innocents by accident, by necessity, for mercy, and so forth.

You are drastically understating the relativism of the legal definition of "murder" by focusing on your idea of slaves as non-humans.

Quote Third, the critical part of the definition of murder you SHOULD be addressing is the "human being" clause. The serfs of medieval Europe were basically equivalent to the slaves of early America in that they were seen as personal property BEFORE being acknowledge (if at all) as human beings. Thus, their killing without cause was justified by the nature of their disqualification as an independent human being.

As noted, this is insufficient.

Quote Last, it seems to me you are arguing to prevent whatever conclusion you believe I am attempting to make. The truth is, however, I offered my conclusion in the very beginning in saying that we do not have enough information to properly define the "independent human being" status of the embryo.

On the contrary.  I believe I said from the outset that I agree with this point.

My point is that even if we were to conclude that embryos/fetuses are "independent human beings", it would still be insufficient, since we clearly have a moral history of permitting the killing of persons in a variety of contexts.  Killing human beings, independent or otherwise, does not equate to "murder".  It never has.

"Murder" as we know it is a remarkably new legal concept.  What Senn is doing is applying this new legal concept, or the theory underlying it, to create a claim for an absolute moral "murder."

That is a logical fallacy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic