Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [37.98%]
80 [62.02%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More like Rip Van Winkle AmIRite?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by BigGun BigGun wrote:

Originally posted by Badsmitty Badsmitty wrote:

Originally posted by BigGun BigGun wrote:

Well go get a real job like the rest of productive society, Enos.

He does have a productive job and it is one-third completed.

Well la de da. Tell him to go ahead and finish it. Or would that be over stepping his boundaries as a mod? he's not god on this forum you know.

Edit: You know, this is pointless. From now on I'll just mind my own business, go into the new players forum and see if i can't find something helpful to say. *yawn*

BigGun,

You're precisely correct. The posts you have made here are pointless. Worse, they lack any real foundation in logic.

I hope you take no significant, personal offense from this, but you're out of your league in arguing with Enos. You'll need to learn a great deal more about critical thinking and effective debate before you can score any meaningful points against him.

Also, you do yourself a great disservice by hiding behind your religion. To achieve any kind of deep faith, you'll need a much more objective view of spirituality.
Real Men Love Cheeses
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 11:11pm
Ok.....Bush gets another 4 years, can this thread end now....please?
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
SandMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

No - to kill unlawfully means to kill unlawfully.  Laws change.  Laws are manmade, therefore "murder" is manmade.

150 years ago a white man could lawfully kill his slaves.  Not murder.  Different time/place, different rules.  Abortion is legal, therefore it is not murder.  Simple.

Ineffective counterpoint. The operative element here is still "human being". Killing slaves was only legal because they were not defined as human beings, but as personal property.

Our laws regarding violent crime hinge around the protection of the rights of another human being. We have already established in our laws and basic societal morality that sentient human beings have a right to their own life. Otherwise Hitler was just another guy with a perfectly acceptable objective, given that killing Jews was not illegal in his eyes.
Real Men Love Cheeses
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 11:17pm
Well, I guess if this thread is gonna keep going....can someone at least change the topic heading?
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 11:24pm

No, Sandman, my point is correct.  You specifically mentioned "murder," which is an entirely legal concept.  We are therefore free to define it any way we please.  In medieval Europe, it was not murder for nobility to kill serfs (who were most definitely "people").  At various points in history dueling has been legal - that would be murder today.

"Murder" is a legal construct.

You cannot base a moral/ethical discussion on legal constructs.  A statement like "abortion is murder" is factually wrong, and ethically irrelevant.

The better statement would be something like "abortion is morally wrong, and should therefore be classified as murder."

AdmiralSenn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdmiralSenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 11:34pm
This is why I hate most people who get overly technical on legal matters: They get so preoccupied with the issue of who's correct legally that they almost never think about who's right morally.

Clark, not to personally attack you, but to use you as an example: the last several posts you've made are all on the technicalities of the definitions of murder and killing. Legally, you say we can define murder however we want and thus because there are laws stating that abortion is legal, we should allow them (which I think is working backwards, like keeping "under God" in the Pledge because it's there, when it was added in the 50's [although I support keeping it]).

What if you're wrong?
Is God real? You'll find out when you die.

Okay, I don't have a clever signature zinger. So sue me.
Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by AdmiralSenn AdmiralSenn wrote:

This is why I hate most people who get overly technical on legal matters: They get so preoccupied with the issue of who's correct legally that they almost never think about who's right morally.

These legal technicalities are what make this country great. Without them our law system would be just as vague and full of loose rules that are left too much to interperatation (like the bible is.)

It doesnt matter who it right. It matters that the written laws of the land, not just the beliefs of a group of citizens are upheld for all people.

We allow abortions to occur in the country because the Supreme Court and the popular vote have allowed this practice to take place. Just because it doesnt fit into some people's personal moral conviction doesnt affect the fact of the matter.

Edited by Hades

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 11:50pm

No, Senn, you are missing the point.

I am trying to point out the fallacy that Sandman made (and you repeated), confusing "is" and "ought".

A law "is".  Morality is what "ought" to be.  Laws sometimes reflect morality, but never lead to morality, and are never the foundation of morality.  A statement like "X is the law, therefore it is good/bad" is a bad statement.

Before we can have a meaningful discussion of morals, we need to separate out the discussion of laws. 

SandMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:00am
First, "murder" is not purely a legal construct. It is the legal expression of a moral trespass. It is also a word with a set, though admittedly changeable, meaning.

By your logic, we might as well say that "green" refers to the underside of one's foot and "larceny" refers to the crime of picking one's nose in public. Such relativism is incapable of making a meaningful point.

-----

Second, as Senn has already pointed out, you are arguing semantics in a vacuum. You're ignoring the origin and intention of laws in general, which is to create and maintain order.

Given the documented structure and morality of the United States and indeed Western culture in general, this structure includes the preservation of the rights of all independent human beings.

------

Third, the critical part of the definition of murder you SHOULD be addressing is the "human being" clause. The serfs of medieval Europe were basically equivalent to the slaves of early America in that they were seen as personal property BEFORE being acknowledge (if at all) as human beings. Thus, their killing without cause was justified by the nature of their disqualification as an independent human being.

-----

Last, it seems to me you are arguing to prevent whatever conclusion you believe I am attempting to make. The truth is, however, I offered my conclusion in the very beginning in saying that we do not have enough information to properly define the "independent human being" status of the embryo.

Yes, I understand what you are getting at. But given the precepts and foundation of Western culture, your argument is invalid.
Real Men Love Cheeses
SandMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:13am

No, Senn, you are missing the point.

I am trying to point out the fallacy that Sandman made (and you repeated), confusing "is" and "ought".

A law "is".  Morality is what "ought" to be.  Laws sometimes reflect morality, but never lead to morality, and are never the foundation of morality.  A statement like "X is the law, therefore it is good/bad" is a bad statement.

Before we can have a meaningful discussion of morals, we need to separate out the discussion of laws. 

That may cut it in High School level Philosophy, but you cannot ignore the full context of an argument in defense of a single piece when you're in the real world.

My point regarding the logical definition of murder, being a hybrid concept with both moral and legal ramifications, stands. With our basic culture being a critical parameter in my argument, as it should be, a certain set of assumptions can be made; one of those assumptions being the assumed sovereignty of sentient human beings. You cannot logically discard that parameter to suit your argument, especially considering the cultural nature at the core of this issue.

That said, any further debate is pointless on both of our parts. If you were to look at both arguments objectively and without bias, I am convinced you would understand.
Real Men Love Cheeses
AdmiralSenn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdmiralSenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 2:24am
Originally posted by SandMan SandMan wrote:

<much better explanation than I am capable of of giving>

I...

have nothing to add.

Edited by AdmiralSenn
Is God real? You'll find out when you die.

Okay, I don't have a clever signature zinger. So sue me.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 8:44am

First, "murder" is not purely a legal construct. It is the legal expression of a moral trespass. It is also a word with a set, though admittedly changeable, meaning.

By your logic, we might as well say that "green" refers to the underside of one's foot and "larceny" refers to the crime of picking one's nose in public. Such relativism is incapable of making a meaningful point.

There are, then, two homonymical words "murder", which you are attempting to combine into one.

"Murder" - unlawful killing.  Legal idea created by society.

"Murder" - immoral killing.  Moral concept, and much more difficult to understand/explain.

The two are clearly not unrelated, but neither is the relationship between the two obvious.  This is the point that I am trying to make.  Just because somethings is legal "murder" does not automatically mean that it is moral "murder", any more than something not being legal "murder" means that it is necessarily not moral "murder".

Is there a relationship between the two?  Almost certainly.  But not nearly as strong as what Senn is suggesting.

Quote You're ignoring the origin and intention of laws in general, which is to create and maintain order.

Generally agree (except as to the ignoring part).

Quote Given the documented structure and morality of the United States and indeed Western culture in general, this structure includes the preservation of the rights of all independent human beings.

In the context of "murder", I absolutely disagree, unless you are defining yourself into truth, and then this is true only in the most banal sense.

History is replete of societies where killings that would be considered murder were fully acceptable, or considered only minor violations.

By old Scandinavian law, if you killed a man, you had to buy him a slave to replace the lost labor - the killing itself was not a significant legal wrong (although the brother was free to avenge).

Dueling, and similar permitted practices, have always allowed people to kill for minor perceived insult.

English kings had their wives beheaded because they were thought to be adulterers.

"Witches" were executed in Salem for what, at worst, was an expression on independent thought.  "Witches" were executed in Europe for far less.

Sharia law requires a father/brother to kill a sister/daughter who has been raped.

Some societies allow(ed) killing to protect property, other did/do not.

In Texas you can shoot a trespasser.  In Illinois that is murder.

And, of course, there is the great big exception - war.  Once some head of state has declared "war", almost all rules are suspended.  Killings that would clearly be murder in any other circumstance are suddenly not only permitted, but required.

Separately, there are also permitted killings of innocents by accident, by necessity, for mercy, and so forth.

You are drastically understating the relativism of the legal definition of "murder" by focusing on your idea of slaves as non-humans.

Quote Third, the critical part of the definition of murder you SHOULD be addressing is the "human being" clause. The serfs of medieval Europe were basically equivalent to the slaves of early America in that they were seen as personal property BEFORE being acknowledge (if at all) as human beings. Thus, their killing without cause was justified by the nature of their disqualification as an independent human being.

As noted, this is insufficient.

Quote Last, it seems to me you are arguing to prevent whatever conclusion you believe I am attempting to make. The truth is, however, I offered my conclusion in the very beginning in saying that we do not have enough information to properly define the "independent human being" status of the embryo.

On the contrary.  I believe I said from the outset that I agree with this point.

My point is that even if we were to conclude that embryos/fetuses are "independent human beings", it would still be insufficient, since we clearly have a moral history of permitting the killing of persons in a variety of contexts.  Killing human beings, independent or otherwise, does not equate to "murder".  It never has.

"Murder" as we know it is a remarkably new legal concept.  What Senn is doing is applying this new legal concept, or the theory underlying it, to create a claim for an absolute moral "murder."

That is a logical fallacy.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 8:52am

With our basic culture being a critical parameter in my argument, as it should be, a certain set of assumptions can be made; one of those assumptions being the assumed sovereignty of sentient human beings.

Absolutely not true.  History does not support that claim, unless history begins with the Declaration of Independence.

The Declaration of Independence was a revolutionary document in terms of social thought.  The idea that each man was created equal was new and revolutionary, and the idea that each man had the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" was even more revolutionary.  Until this point, these ideas had been expressed only as theories, by John Locke and the like.  To claim them as political reality was truly contrary to the history of Western Europe, both in terms of law and moral beliefs.

ScarFace22 View Drop Down
Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 10:26am

I hereby exorcise thee back to the Dark Ages from whence thou came.  Shoo.

No its still very modern, maybe if you actually had some morals you would know that. Also I agree with admSenn, people like you get so caught up on "constitunial rights" that you forget whats morally right. Abortion is killing get over it. Life starts as soon as conception starts. Its killing when they take that baby, cut its head open and suck its brains out so it will die. How in Gods name can you or anyone think that is morally right. If thats not an act of inhuamanity and an act of the living devil then what is? People like you are freakin liberal, inmoral, morons.

Edited by ScarFace22

Check my thread in the Great guns thread for Timmy tech help or PM me
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 10:33am

No, Scarface, opposition to birth control is straight out of the Dark Ages.  (Although, frighteningly, it was illegal in CT until 30 years ago)

Yes, many people hold that belief, and you are not alone.  What makes that view belong in the 14th entury is the sheer mass of people who do not believe it.  You are out of touch with current thought, current morality, and current society.  You are, quite literally, living in the Dark Ages.

Of course, you may be right, and we may all be going to Hell for using condoms.  That, however, in no way changes the fact that you are living in the wrong century.  You may as well be arguing in favor of the Rule of Thumb.  It may also be "right", but it still has no place in today's society.

Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 10:41am
Im living in the dark ages. Funny thing is in all catholic, and christian schools and private schools abortion it is tuaght in morality that the use of condoms is morally wrong.   modern highschool and college morality classes it is still taught that abortion and the use of condoms are both morally wrong. Maybe if you got out of your little liberal box there and woke up to reality you would see there are alot of people who agree with me. How can you say I am out of touch with morality what in gods name are you talking about. Are you that ignorant and that self centered in your liberal ideas. Again I say how is sucking the brains out of a baby more moral then having the baby and keeping it or putting it up for adoption.  You have no morals stop pretending like you do. Suckig the brains out of a baby is not moral at all and anyone who thinks its ok is just a self centered, ignorant liberal. Also if moderan society is with your ideas then how come the #1 concept that helped determine the election this year was morality. So pretty much what your saying is EVERYONE is out of touch with modern society since the #1 issues this year was morals. It seems like the only ones out of touch are you and your liberal screwballs from california and other liberal states.

Edited by ScarFace22

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 10:47am

Originally posted by ScarFace22 ScarFace22 wrote:

Im living in the dark ages. Funny thing is in all modern highschool and college morality classes it is still taught that abortion and the use of condoms are both morally wrong. Maybe if you got out of your little liberal box there and woke up to reality you would see there are alot of people who agree with me. 

The bolded part is evidence that you need to get out more...  Good lord - you are even more disconnected than I thought.

BTW, I already said that there are many people who agree with you.  You are, collectively, a tiny tiny minority (on the condom issue, not on abortion), but yes, there are many who agree with you.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:09am
Good luck being a teenage father. Society changes greatly, religion changes little. To not use condoms may be a sin in your book, but it's called intelligence in mine.
Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:42am

Ah..I messed up when I typed that. What I meant was in catholic, and christian schools and private schools abortion and the use of condoms is taught as being morally wrong.  

Edited by ScarFace22

Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:45am

Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Good luck being a teenage father. Society changes greatly, religion changes little. To not use condoms may be a sin in your book, but it's called intelligence in mine.

Religion can change alot unless your to ignorant to listen to the beliefs the religion. As for being a father I don't have any kids now and I don't plan on having any until I get married. When I do have kids I will teach them morals just like my mom and dad taught me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic