Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need opinion of new electro design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need opinion of new electro design
    Posted: 02 November 2004 at 2:01pm
I had a conversation a while ago with a friend from the forum about some of my ideas for new paintball technology and I think I have an idea that could work. I definitely plan to make myself a prototype to tinker with but I also considered selling the idea to a company that could mass produce it if there is enough interest in it. Without going into too much detail and giving away the design, it's basically a gun that fires the ball at the same velocity as current guns but does it through electronics. It would be very quiet, doesn't require air, and would get the same ranges. It may even have slightly more accuracy since you no longer have things like turbulence inside the barrel or deformation of the ball due to a blast of air. Cycle rates should be just as high with this design or could be increased with a few modifications. The only possible downside might be a large battery. I don't know all of the specifics on it yet so I can't tell right now what kind of battery requirements it'll have but there's a possibility that it might require a large battery. Overall you'll have a very quiet gun that is more accurate (in theory) and requires no air to operate. It shouldn't need a bulky battery but it's possible. Based on that information, would any of you be interested in a product like this if it was released? If not, let me know why and maybe I can modify the design a little. Also, I don't have a specific body design yet, I'm just worried about the internals right now.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland

Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey

Me: But only if they're hungary

Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2004 at 2:41pm
Posting an idea for a gun with absolutely no details is an excercise in pointlessness.

What am i supposed to say? "good"?
paintballpunkGD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballpunkGD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2004 at 5:34pm
the theory is good, not havin air.  need more details though.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2004 at 5:53pm
You would need an extremely powerful or large battery source...as you said already yes.  Sounds interesting though.
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
Flarpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flarpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2004 at 7:53pm
Large battery wouldn't be too big of a problem, just so long as they're not much bigger or heavier than current co2/nitro tanks, and then if they do get bigger/heavier, there's always remote lines.
Gun Setup:
Black and silver 98c
14" J&J Ceramic barrel
20oz co2
Warp feed
Gravity loader :(
roadrunner0535 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadrunner0535 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2004 at 8:07pm
u mean retro-fit a real gun 2 shoot paintballs like the x somethin or other
98c seclusion
14" dye ultralite
rufus dawg 2x stick trigg
remote
full-auto mod
My 98C
100% smart parts
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2004 at 9:11pm

I must be the only one confused about how it fires with electronics.

It has to have some kindof propulsion.

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2004 at 10:37pm
Lmfao, nice sig.  Hahahahaha great stuff monk.  But anyway, i dont feel like figuring out the exact operation, but im assuming a charge of a sustainable amount would be propelled to operate the bolt.  What would make the bolt move?  I honostly have no idea, i cant think that part up at the moment.  Maybe if i get bored enough ill put up some blueprints.
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
98 nitro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98 nitro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 12:04am
maybe it could be moved by servos but the servos im thinkin of arent have a reaction time or response fast enough to keep up with gas guns. these servos are used in the gas powered r/c cars which is used for gas and brake. with the pull of the trigger it aceleretes which i guess would activate the bolt to work or watever and when u let off of the trigger it goes in to brake mode which of course stops the bolt. but the good thing bout this is it doesnt have wires for these servos so u dont have to worry bout wireing. awesome idear and if u ever make it post the results and for the body u should make it kinda look like the boblong intemidator line of guns

Edited by 98 nitro
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 3:01pm

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Posting an idea for a gun with absolutely no details is an excercise in pointlessness.

What am i supposed to say? "good"?

I gave you details without giving you the design itself. I told you it would provide similar rates of fire, possibly more accuracy, very low noise, and didn't require air...I just didn't say how it achieved these things. The design is actually fairly simple which is why I can't be too specific or else it can easily be copied and somebody else could steal it from me. What I need to know is if a gun that can provide these things is of interest to players. If it is then I will try to make it available on the market and if not then I'll keep it for myself. Enos, I'm not sure why you felt the need to try and make me look like a moron but I think your plan backfired. My intent wasn't to get opinions on the design, I need to know if those qualities are what players are looking for in a gun. Anyway, I have 2 or 3 ways to achieve these things in mind and I'm not sure which I'll stick with but if the idea sounds appealing to most of you I might give a little more detail.

If I get to the point where I have a finalized design and a patent on the idea then I'll share it all here but until then I'd rather not reveal the specifics yet.

Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 3:40pm
Why does everyone think im flaming people lately. I wasnt trying to make you look like a moron, i was stating a fact. If you come on and post "ive got this idea, this is what it will do" nobody can help you in any way besides saying "good for you".

If you can do it, cool. I mean, what else can i say.
Ariakon_Eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ariakon_Eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 4:25pm
If you do it I will be happy to buy one. I hate the air tanks and it sounds like it will be better overall, but it sounds like there might be an issue with wieght and size though.
You call the Eagle, Eagle does the rest.
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 6:46pm

Im goin out on a limb here, and saying its a solenoid that pushes the ball out the barrel. In which case it would deform a ball just as much if not more than gas.

I dont believe you have a real idea, and is full of crap.

Im votin shins on this one.

FrostSquirrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrostSquirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 7:20pm

OK if its electric purely you are going electro mechanical.

Soleniod would work but would have a slow rate of fire or high enegy requirements as you have to also pull hte slug from the core back also which means your charging the action both ways and most likely a capacitor charging time to meet your voltage requirments.    20oz pack aint going to cut it for very long

ONe way to redux the action would be to have the firing action be stored in a spring that you pull with the slug in the coil.   We are getting bulky and risk possible misfires if the field fails to hold it back.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------

It may even have slightly more accuracy since you no longer have things like turbulence inside the barrel or deformation of the ball due to a blast of air

--------------------------------------------------

not possible the barrel is there for a reason and even your railgun or crossbow design need a guide.   Tippmann uses a 8in barrel because it works to stablize the action.    And don't forget deformation starts behind the bll but is also in front of the ball.

Also if you are making a railgun to fire paint.  Anyone could change the pwoer supply and fire slugs though body armmor and not sports company will touch your idea.... if it works call NSA

ItalianoGuy04 View Drop Down
Strike 1, lewd questions, 2/9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItalianoGuy04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 10:19am
good i guess, i would only buy it if the battery was inside of the gun itself thou... and if the battery is recharchable, otherwise batteries are more expensive than air... and also, your gonna have to make the gun not very expensive, anything over 500, no one will give it a shot...

Supe'd up Spyda Victor, don't like it, don't care
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 2:20pm

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Why does everyone think im flaming people lately. I wasnt trying to make you look like a moron, i was stating a fact. If you come on and post "ive got this idea, this is what it will do" nobody can help you in any way besides saying "good for you".

If you can do it, cool. I mean, what else can i say.

Well then I apologize. Online conversations leave a lot of room for misunderstanding and I guess the way you word things gives off the wrong idea sometimes.

In response to others: There will still be a barrel on the gun. I meant that there would be no extra turbulence in the barrel since there wouldn't be a blast of air in the gun anymore. With current guns the ball is blasted from behind with air as you all know but some of this air goes around the ball and gets in front of it, causing turbulence. That is the air that I was talking about eliminating. There will still be air resistance due to the speed of the ball but it will be lessened since you aren't adding anymore air in the path of the ball. Technically you could put other ammo types in this gun and fire them but then again you could do that with current guns too. I could easily take my 98 outside and start firing marbles or frozen paint.

The power supply might have to be watched more closely though now that you mention it. This would be the equivalent of people intentionally shooting hot with current guns which is hard to monitor but with electronics I think we can control it more. If voltage is regulated internally or a fuse is put inside (or both) then it's possible to make an alternate power supply unusable or impractical enough that the person won't try it. I'm glad you brought this up because I'll have to change the design a little to protect against this. Still, it's no different than people turning their velocity up on air powered guns now so it's no more dangerous than what we're using today. Also, not everybody knows how to change the power supply or even that doing this could yield higher velocities so we have that helping us too.

I would most definitely have rechargeable batteries on this thing since batteries will be the life force of this gun. I have two ideas for the battery situation depending on how much life you get from each. If you get about the same amount of shots per battery as you do from an average sized tank (full) then I will use my first idea which is to have two batteries in the gun (assuming they're small like a 9v) and allow you to flip a switch to change batteries in mid game. That would let you continue to play after your battery dies until the game is over and then you could swap the dead one and continue with your backup battery. Basically you would never have to stop playing because of a dead battery with this setup. The second idea would be to just have a couple rechargeable batteries that you charge before you go to the field and then carry them on you and change as needed. A larger battery pack could be made too if power consumption is a real problem. It could either be mounted on the gun or connected with a wire and used like a remote setup. None of these are final, just ideas. I personally like the first one with the dual batteries and I'll try to use that. Any other ideas are welcome.

ItalianoGuy04 View Drop Down
Strike 1, lewd questions, 2/9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItalianoGuy04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 4:02pm
i don't think many people will go for it if it has the remote set-up, try to incorpate it into the gun somhow it'll look much betta..

Supe'd up Spyda Victor, don't like it, don't care
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 11:28pm
I'm thinking that maybe it can be designed so you can do both with it. It would normally be attached to the gun but maybe it could come with a longer wire so you could put it in your pocket or on a belt if you wanted to. Doing it that way would please people who like remotes and those who don't.

AdmiralSenn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdmiralSenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2004 at 12:40am
If it worked, heck yes.
Is God real? You'll find out when you die.

Okay, I don't have a clever signature zinger. So sue me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic