Destruction of America

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 1:16am
Personally, I think that while it shouldn't be illegal not to know English, we should say "English is our language". Not necessarily everyone has to know it-but it's a good thing to have. No rules saying you have to speak it to live here, just that it's the language we communicate in, so the things that are official documents here come in that language: passports, drivers licenses, etc. They already do, the only difference now is that we're going to say that we've got one language.

I don't really see it changing things tremendously, I just think it would be useful, maybe all these immigrants could communicate with me someday.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 1:13am

But the question stands:

What does "national language" mean?  That's just a buzzword.

Here are some options, right off the top of my head:

1.  All public documents must be available AT LEAST in English.

2.  All public documents must be available ONLY in English.

3.  Everybody who doesn's speak English gets deported.

4.  Schools must teach English.

5.  Schools must teach ONLY English.

Some of those are already the case (at least mostly), others are not.  Which brings me back to "what does 'national language' mean"?

BTW, on a historical note, the US has NEVER been monolingual.  There have always been large enclaves where no English has been spoken.  There have always been millions of people living in the US who don't speak English.  Yet we managed to stumble on by somehow.

So what exactly are we talking about doing?  Specifics, anyone?

Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

IS NO national Language last time I checked. unless I am completely ignorant. English is the dominate language and should be the national language. We DONT need a national religion. but it wouldnt hurt.

So what exactilly would a national language and religion mean?

Make all other languages and religions illegal?

Isnt part of that why we started America to start with?

Oh come on, other nations have national languages, you don't see them whipping their citizens into submission. They get along just fine. I expected better out of your liberal nazi self.
SeaWolf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Doesn’t know who Big Al is...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:35pm

We DONT need a national religion. but it wouldnt hurt.

Read up on why people left England for America...

SeaWolf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Ejp414 Ejp414 wrote:

What do you propose then, SeaWolf? Are you in favor of locking the
borders outright? Do you oppose the idea of pluralism? Do you agree
with the e-mail's speaker that there are intrinsic differences between
races that cause, for example, Hispanics to suffer from higher drop-out
rates?

I don't argue my political views on the internet, because then I have to come back and reply every 5 minutes...

I just post good conservative articles when they roll around

Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:33pm
It wouldn't be that they're illegal, but the point is, we're setting a language that everyone should communicate in. Heck, when a German scientist talks to a Japanese scientist, they speak English, why can't our whole country?
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:30pm

IS NO national Language last time I checked. unless I am completely ignorant. English is the dominate language and should be the national language. We DONT need a national religion. but it wouldnt hurt.

So what exactilly would a national language and religion mean?

Make all other languages and religions illegal?

Isnt part of that why we started America to start with?

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by hwayhzrd hwayhzrd wrote:

<div style="text-align: center;">I didn't say every superpower fell the
same way, some were eclipsed by a greater nation, but hopefully you get
the point of what I was saying and can see some similarities.

Immigration is a HUGE problem, and Bush is dropping the ball AND
kicking it across the floor with this "amnesty" nonsense, especially in
the post-9/11 world.

The 9/11 hijackers had over 50 valid drivers licenses between them, and now he wants to make it easier?

Oh, yes, they cancer is in the body politic of the United States, but
do we have the guts or wherewithal to deal with it?  I have my
doubts ...

EDIT: Homosexuality the problem?  That is not a fair statement. I
have know many "**edited**" people over the years, and for they most part they
had a more accurate "moral compass" than many so-called bible beaters I
have had the misfortune of knowing.

If you don't think illegal immigration is a pressing problem, you better wake up, the house is already on fire.

FOr the most part I agree. Immigration is a massive problem. If it does not get fixed we will be be doomed. Also. Welfare is becoming a problem. I think it is an amazing program that is needed. But some people just dont work and milk the system because its easier. Thats the problem with that. Eventually that will become more widespread. homosexuality is not the issue. I cant see how that would lead to a nations demise. Especially the Rome arguement. The Huns, Carthage, and many others waged war against them and they eventually collapsed. Rome also let the nations they conquered fight in their armies who werent loyal to Rome. That doesnt help a nation either. People need to realize that diversity is great. but unity is key. our Nation NEEDS a set language. THERE IS NO national Language last time I checked. unless I am completely ignorant. English is the dominate language and should be the national language. We DONT need a national religion. but it wouldnt hurt. Until there is more unity like there was after 9/11/01 America wont last forever. There is more individualism than teamwork. More ME than US. All we need is unity and we will be ok. You can conquer an individual. an individual can fall. but a team is impossible to defeat.
Ejp414 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ejp414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by SeaWolf SeaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by Bugg Bugg wrote:

Friend of mine said

"We should make the Rio Grande pure gasoline, and have it turn on and off at will. When someone goes to the border, keep it on for a while, than just turn it off, they will start to cross and you turn it on again"

You're friends with Jake Johannsen?

Can you respond to my earlier post if you happen to get a chance?

SeaWolf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 8:47pm

Friend of mine said

"We should make the Rio Grande pure gasoline, and have it turn on and off at will. When someone goes to the border, keep it on for a while, than just turn it off, they will start to cross and you turn it on again"

You're friends with Jake Johannsen?

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 2:19pm
EJP wins.
Ejp414 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ejp414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 1:55pm

Well, HWAY did first write "We should lock the borders" Go back and check

Originally posted by hwayhzrd hwayhzrd wrote:

I do NOT want the borders LOCKED ... just better CONTROLLED.

When I say lock down the borders, I mean stop the hemmoraging of illegal aliens into the country, NOT stop the immigration process.

Okay, I checked.

Bugg View Drop Down
One screw up and all screen names go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 1:12pm
Well, HWAY did first write "We should lock the borders" Go back and check
Ejp414 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ejp414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 12:55pm

Originally posted by Ejp414 Ejp414 wrote:

Okay, I agree with Dune, Clark, and Hway. I do not agree with Bugg,
Uhh.. I have the same views as HWAy, with VERY SLIGHT variations....

Your idea of a "slight variation" is the difference between locking the borders or not. . . .

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 12:27pm
That would be up to the students though. It would be very useful to learn a second language as strong as our first.
Bugg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Cedric Cedric wrote:

Originally posted by CarbineKid CarbineKid wrote:

The best way to stop the illegal invasion of our
country is to place a mine field at the
boarder.   

That was one of the most stupid things I have heard in awhile.
ha, believe me, I've heard worse

Friend of mine said

And Dune, yes spanish is applicable, and so is japanes,e but believe me, the way the world is going now, so is Russian
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by CarbineKid CarbineKid wrote:

The best way to stop the illegal invasion of our country is to place a mine field at the boarder.   

That was one of the most stupid things I have heard in awhile.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 12:13pm

Russian is not more applicable than Spanish. Actually the two other languages that should be learned are Spanish and quite possibly Japanese (for anyone entering the business field).

Bugg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 12:04pm
Dune, it was started in elementry for me.

Starting in 4th grade, spanish until 7th grade, than 2 years of French, than 2 years of German.

I'm sorry, but thats a bit much.

I would rather learn something applicable, like Russian.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 12:01pm

It's hard to learn it when you're too busy working 60 hour weeks for only a couple of bucks a day. There is a better place to start than forcing them to learn english, such as requiring equal pay for equal work, providing benefits, and to be a little more open minded to those trying to better themselves like your ancestors.

Two years of a foreign language in high school is not nearly enough, it needs to be a program started in elementary that a child is able to pick the language and follow through with it until graduating high school.

Edited by Dune
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
  Share Topic