Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sniping in Paintball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Nickodemus Nickodemus wrote:

Originally posted by Long Tr'ang Long Tr'ang wrote:

I mean range estimation by using a mil scope or the width of your front site.

How I would employ your scouts in woodsball:

[waiting in ambush]

newbie: "When are they going to come over here"

Nick: "Don't worry, I sent two scouts that way to find them and bait them back"

newbie: "I hear markers shooting over there, that's behind our ambush"

Nick "Yeah, I guess they found them - Listen to all that, they are outnumbered, they are buying us time - forget this ambush we all need to move this way, now!"  

yes but todo that u need to know the size of somehting at or neer that range to do it succesfully

Correct. You can use the estimated height of a person downrange very well. Also, there are other tricks, a 20" sillouhette will dissapear behind the width of your front site on a M1 (unless you have match sights) at exactly 300 yards. So if your target's width is visable when you aim at it, it's less then 300 yards away, and if it is more narrow then your front sight, then that is a +300 yard shot. Laser range finders are awesome until they break or the batteries die. If you see a target off in the distance and you do not know the range, but have five Rifleman, get each to adjust their sights for the estimated range, then put a minor change on each of them so that when they open up at least one will hit. remember it is better to hit low then high. If your projectile hits air, you never see it. But if it kicks up a little dust when it hits ground, you can adjust your sights off that. "Whoever gets there with the mostest, fastest, wins."

I think you need to start specifying that this applies to a real gun, not in paintball, otherwise you will have the sniper population reading this as "hey dat dude said we could be snip-er dudes!".
Real Men play Tuba

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1859/newsmall6xz.jpg">

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Nickodemus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Long Tr'ang Long Tr'ang wrote:

[waiting in ambush]

Nick "Yeah, I guess they found them - Listen to all that, they are outnumbered, they are buying us time - forget this ambush we all need to move this way, now!"  

yes but todo that u need to know the size of somehting at or neer that range to do it succesfully

Correct. You can use the estimated height of a person downrange very well. Also, there are other tricks, a 20" sillouhette will dissapear behind the width of your front site on a M1 (unless you have match sights) at exactly 300 yards. So if your target's width is visable when you aim at it, it's less then 300 yards away, and if it is more narrow then your front sight, then that is a +300 yard shot. Laser range finders are awesome until they break or the batteries die. If you see a target off in the distance and you do not know the range, but have five Rifleman, get each to adjust their sights for the estimated range, then put a minor change on each of them so that when they open up at least one will hit. remember it is better to hit low then high. If your projectile hits air, you never see it. But if it kicks up a little dust when it hits ground, you can adjust your sights off that. "Whoever gets there with the mostest, fastest, wins."

Think and give them all you have from the beginning, and never weaken!

Sentinelz View Drop Down
Suicide By Mod.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentinelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 2:35am

Originally posted by Sentinelz Sentinelz wrote:

Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Sorry guys, but I am trying to put some useful info in this "sniper" thread. Call them scouts, it's not sniper/scout school that they train at for nothing. That's like saying your a seal but not a UDT.

I covered the basics of sight adjustment, now holding for wind:

This is guesswork but there are methods. Remember, your projectile is more vulnerable to wind near the end of it's travel. This is because down range the projectile is moving slower, and also the wind has been acting on it longer. Wind is usually never constant - if you are shooting 1000 yards it may push your projectile left for the first 200, then towards you for the next 50, then the wind will curl and go right for the rest of your projectiles travel. Remember, the wind sock by you was reading left, but the last part of travel and most significant distance covered the wind was right. I say it is guesswork because it will shift.

So, to accurately correct for wind you need to make a little chart of how many inches your projectile gets shifted at a given range with a given wind speed. For wind direction you only need to memorise these shifts at anolog clock directions 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00. I would put data for 5 knot, 10 knot, 15 knot, 20 knot, 25 knot, and 30 knot winds. Wind coming from 9:00 will have the same effect as wind coming from 3:00, it will just push the projectile in the opposite direction.

So if I go to shoot and see that a wind sock down by the target reads a 15 knot wind coming from 7:00. I have to look in my notes or remember what 15 knots shifts the projectile at 1:00, say it moves point of impact 3" left at this distance, then correct the direction for the shift that pushes opposite 1:00 (the 7:00 wind sock). My POI is going to be 3" right.

I thought about sharing some advanced skills like accounting for mirage, and trajectory changes when shooting through glass windows, but maybe another day.

Buddy, its a paintball.  If you can get the thing to stay straight for even 30 ft its a miracle.

Make all the charts and crap you want, it wont do you any good.

I could with about a 35-39 ft barrel with no porting and a messed up valve that sends out air continuously maybe...

Sight adjustment is the same for paintball markers (if you have sights), that is why I said "projectile" not "bullet" or "paintball". Also windage estimation. The difference is the low velocity and inconsistency of the paintballs. They don't go far, have huge amount of drop, and arn't accurate because they're not solid. Other then that, paintballs follow the same rules as any other low-speed projectile.

HOLY CRAP!!!! I just thought of a new paintball that might fly straight!

I need to do some estimates and math I'll be back....

Edited by Sentinelz
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 1:18am

Originally posted by Sniperdaddy Sniperdaddy wrote:

alot of you are missing the point.sniping is NOT staying in one spot picking off targets that only you can see. the only reason that i got my 98 flatline is because my imagine couldnt hit a brick wall. so for all of you out there who are confused about the whole point of sniping it is simply this: 1. really accurate gun

Name one please

&n bs p;          2.avoiding other players paintballs

Gosh!  You think?!
                    &n bs p;          and 3. moving around to get a better vantage point of your opponent

So, do the rest of the woodsballers all shoot guns with curvey barrels, eyes closed while jumping in front of others shooting at them and staying in one spot?
that sums it up

Yeah, that is about the worst arguement I have ever seen trying to prove their existence.

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Sniperdaddy Sniperdaddy wrote:

alot of you are missing the point.sniping is NOT staying in one spot picking off targets that only you can see. the only reason that i got my 98 flatline is because my imagine couldnt hit a brick wall. so for all of you out there who are confused about the whole point of sniping it is simply this: 1. really accurate gun

Name one please

&nbs p;          2.avoiding other players paintballs

Gosh!  You think?!
                    &nbs p;          and 3. moving around to get a better vantage point of your opponent

So, do the rest of the woodsballers all shoot guns with curvey barrels, eyes closed while jumping in front of others shooting at them and staying in one spot?
that sums it up
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Sniperdaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniperdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 12:06am
                               2.avoiding other players paintballs
                               and 3. moving around to get a better vantage point of your opponent

that sums it up
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:19pm

Originally posted by HITMAN 4 HIRE HITMAN 4 HIRE wrote:

theres sniping in paintball get over it.

Prove it

I guess everyone has there decided definition of Snipers and Sniping. It just seems that the paintball snipers don't care about the skills that everyone else in the world's definition of sniper holds.

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by HITMAN 4 HIRE HITMAN 4 HIRE wrote:

Prove it
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
HITMAN 4 HIRE View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HITMAN 4 HIRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 12:10pm
Long Tr'ang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Tr'ang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:20am

[waiting in ambush]

What Makes The Grass Grow!
Blood Blood Blood!!!
And What Do We Do For A Living
Kill Kill Kill!!!

Pro-Carbine
J&J cyramic 16'
9 and 12 oz tanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 10:27am

When I shoot, I strive to have the weapons/projectiles inaccuracy be the weakest link in the chain between myself and the target. Use good paint and bench shoot your market at 30' with it braced against something steadier then you. Aim it at the same one small point every shot, and send a group of paint down range. See how much smaller this group is compared to when you play and shoot at a target that far away.

Let me know how it goes if your group is still to big, it's not difficult to accurize your marker for 30'.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Sentinelz Sentinelz wrote:

Sorry guys, but I am trying to put some useful info in this "sniper" thread. Call them scouts, it's not sniper/scout school that they train at for nothing. That's like saying your a seal but not a UDT.

This is guesswork but there are methods. Remember, your projectile is more vulnerable to wind near the end of it's travel. This is because down range the projectile is moving slower, and also the wind has been acting on it longer. Wind is usually never constant - if you are shooting 1000 yards it may push your projectile left for the first 200, then towards you for the next 50, then the wind will curl and go right for the rest of your projectiles travel. Remember, the wind sock by you was reading left, but the last part of travel and most significant distance covered the wind was right. I say it is guesswork because it will shift.

So, to accurately correct for wind you need to make a little chart of how many inches your projectile gets shifted at a given range with a given wind speed. For wind direction you only need to memorise these shifts at anolog clock directions 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00. I would put data for 5 knot, 10 knot, 15 knot, 20 knot, 25 knot, and 30 knot winds. Wind coming from 9:00 will have the same effect as wind coming from 3:00, it will just push the projectile in the opposite direction.

So if I go to shoot and see that a wind sock down by the target reads a 15 knot wind coming from 7:00. I have to look in my notes or remember what 15 knots shifts the projectile at 1:00, say it moves point of impact 3" left at this distance, then correct the direction for the shift that pushes opposite 1:00 (the 7:00 wind sock). My POI is going to be 3" right.

I thought about sharing some advanced skills like accounting for mirage, and trajectory changes when shooting through glass windows, but maybe another day.

Buddy, its a paintball.  If you can get the thing to stay straight for even 30 ft its a miracle.

I could with about a 35-39 ft barrel with no porting and a messed up valve that sends out air continuously maybe...

Sight adjustment is the same for paintball markers (if you have sights), that is why I said "projectile" not "bullet" or "paintball". Also windage estimation. The difference is the low velocity and inconsistency of the paintballs. They don't go far, have huge amount of drop, and arn't accurate because they're not solid. Other then that, paintballs follow the same rules as any other low-speed projectile.

Sentinelz View Drop Down
Suicide By Mod.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentinelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 3:11am

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 8:49pm

[waiting in ambush]

Long Tr'ang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Tr'ang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 6:34pm

ok yes they are called scout/sniper but the only reason they are is b/c during vietnam the man who started the first "scout/sniper" school jim land decided that if the military could use thier snipers as scout as well as long range killing machines they would appriciate them better but as off 1972 almost no snipers have been used as scouts they only did it in the trial and error phases of the sniper and the scout part refers to the use of camoflague and the sirvival skills and so forth basically every thing besides marksmanship and and the esstemation of wind and distance and this is how u guess distance

first of all this is for exptream long range shoot like 300 yards and further first u look at a football field and remember exactly how far that looks then when u are trying to esstemate the range use the image of the football field and roll it over end tyo end until u reach ur target and u always round up now im sure this could be applied to paintball but on a much smaller scale
What Makes The Grass Grow!
Blood Blood Blood!!!
And What Do We Do For A Living
Kill Kill Kill!!!

Pro-Carbine
J&J cyramic 16'
9 and 12 oz tanks
DracoPlasm View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What is a DracoPlasm anyway?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DracoPlasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 3:06pm
Sniping is taking out a target you were told to eliminate without being seen...if you do that in a paintball game you sniped him you dont have to have a long range super accurate gun to snipe....if you were to kill someone with a sniper rifle it doesnt mean you sniped them...you just shot them with a sniper rifle you can snipe with anything a sniper rifle is just easier to use

Captain Bozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Bozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 2:24pm

I agree with you Demus, most people don't care about true sniper qualities, they just want to shoot a few people with getting seen, and even then they don't have the proper pattern of thought about stuff like escape routes and ways your buddies can move into the void you created with a few well placed shots.

I don't know about calling them a scout, because unless they have radios they are not doing much good, I think they are more like one man ambush, OMA for short... hmm, oma is german for grandmother.

But then agian I still think on a highly organized woodsball team they would be vital for scouting and for sniping they are also good for flanking the enemy when you are stuck in a 50 50 fire fight.

Go to the link for learning more about paintball sniping, which I think is hardly related to the true military sniper.

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/articles/the_true_paintba ll_sniper.asp

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 9:36am

Yes, yes my point exactly. Read the whole post and you understand what I am doing. These paintball "snipers" could care less about actual sniper skills. This information is usful to anyone who does any real shooting that may not know it, and I am sure there are some of you on this forum. 

Fieldcraft? I could teach you how to live in the woods for days without making much evidence your there. None will be interested. How can you then call yourself a "Sniper." Thats my point - if your going to pretend, at least have an interest in the role your playing.

Also, if your paintball doesn't stay straight at 30' you really need to learn to aim, or shoot better paint.

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 2:03am

Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 5:57pm
Anyone want to know how to do range estimation...? Are you paintball snipers still interested in target shooting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic