Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sniping in Paintball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 9:35pm

I could teach a drunk chimp to shoot, so long as it could hold still.

I will give you some tips for shooting with the normal iron sights:

1.) Move the front sight opposite to how you want the impact to move. (If the impact is to high, then the front sight is to low.)

2.) Move the rear site in the direction of desired impact.

To determine how much change is needed in inches, multiply in inches the amount of correction needed at the target by the sight radius (the distance between the rear and fron sight in inches). Divide this by the inch distance to the target (100 yards = 3,600 inches.)

For example - If your rifle is shooting 10" high at 100 yards, and has a 20" sight radius, the math would be:

(10" X 20")/3600" = 0.056"

You would bring the front sight up or the rear sight down 0.056" to hit your target.

Think and give them all you have from the beginning, and never weaken!

Long Tr'ang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Tr'ang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 9:43pm
hahahaha this reminded me i was playing 3 days ago and we only had 3 people and we juat started in different corners and started well i play pump so i had to be extra sneeky b/c it was me against a custom pro and a spyder so i snuck all the way around the field being extra carful and the guy with the spyder had gotten out the custom pro so i poped up and took one shot and hit him right in the middle of the chest as he was diving from the sound of my "marker" going off cause its insainly loud and he was pissed and then the next round the guy was walking near this creek on a steep hill so he was walking slow and i just steped out and saw him and took 2 shots fast and one hit his mask and the other in the leg as he fell it made me laugh so much i couldnt breath
What Makes The Grass Grow!
Blood Blood Blood!!!
And What Do We Do For A Living
Kill Kill Kill!!!

Pro-Carbine
J&J cyramic 16'
9 and 12 oz tanks
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by x-mo-x x-mo-x wrote:

Originally posted by Nickodemus Nickodemus wrote:

Good rule of thumb for estimation.

M-minute O-of A-angle

Close, but 1 MOA @ 100 yards is 1.0472 inches. The difference gets bigger at further distance.

MOA (in) = [tan(1/60) X distance to target yards] X 36

Practial problem:

Some newbie zeroed my scope at 50 yards. My scope has 1/4 MOA adjustments. I shoot a group at 500 yards and decide I want to bring my point of impact up 5 inches. How do I adjust my scope?

A= 4 clicks up.

I decide to play at 25 yards with my rifle. My group lands 4 inches up and 3 inches left. How do I zero it for 25 yards?

A= 64 clicks up, 48 clicks right.

I still say people should just call them scout players. Much more applicable.

ya i guess you got a point!!! i being in the military (well i just got back du to an injury to a knee ) i have only one thing to say

Darure SHUT UP if you dont know what your talking about sorry to be a btch about that but the kid hase a good point about does skills!!

And yes sniper is not a good name for that skill!!! alltought its the closest thin to it it wont work!!

Back up your points, you havent given anyhting to prove me wrong.
Real Men play Tuba

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1859/newsmall6xz.jpg">

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Zoso Zoso wrote:

1. To shoot at individuals from a concealed place.
  2. To shoot snipe.
  3. To make malicious, underhand remarks or attacks.

Thats defined in the American Heritage Dictionary

I also forgot to mention that the word snipe came from people who were able to shoot snipe(Birds). The birds were so hard to hit because they could turn 90 degrees without slowing down almost. It was so hard that they called the people who could Snipers. I learned that in New Orleans from one of the tour guides.

Run a search buddy, the deffinition has been shot down 100 times before.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

In response to Darur-

No buddy, thats woodsballer tactics

They have woodsball in the military? I wasn't talking about paintball, I was talking about the military. And those are basic military skills, non-exclusive to snipers.

This is a disscussion about Paintball snipers, is it not? 

Buddy, you just told me that was a "military principle", not a sniper thing.

It is a military principle. It's not exclusive to snipers.

Make up your mind buddy.  You told me first staying hidden is a military thing not a sniper thing, then you told me its vital to being a sniper, not you are saying its not sniping.

You didn't show any contradiction in what I just said. Staying hidden is vital to being sniper, but doesn't make you a sniper. As I stated above, being a sniper is the ability to put basic military principles together and add in being an extremely good shot with an accurate weapon. If you can't stay hidden while doing this, you won't las very long in the real world.

Read what I said again

Thats all fine and dandy but if you search the topic we've shown it doesnt work.

And your point is-? I think that's where I was headed with that long post.

I'll try to put my opinon in less lengthy words-I don't think sniping works for the average player. That's why I wanted alternate opinons-to either back up or dismiss my opinon. Also, I put this in the New Ideas forum because I wanted to hear new ideas on how to make sniping work. That was where I was going, and I didn't know which category it would fall under, so I posted it in this one. And I believe I stated quite a few times that I'm not an expert, and that's why I'm asking other opinons. If I was trying to act like one, I wouldn't have asked.

Double Posting is against the rules, also there are no new ideas.  You ever thought the reason no one beleives in snipers except for newbs might just be because there are none?

Every point about snipers has been shot down.

Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Zoso View Drop Down
Strike 1. Oh, the irony....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

2. To shoot snipe.

I also forgot to mention that the word snipe came from people who were able to shoot snipe(Birds). The birds were so hard to hit because they could turn 90 degrees without slowing down almost. It was so hard that they called the people who could Snipers. I learned that in New Orleans from one of the tour guides.

I wasn't taking a side I was just showing everyone what the definition was that I found. I think scout is a better word for "sniper".
All I see turns to brown
As the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand
As I scan this wasted land
Tryin to find where i've been
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 1:39am

2. To shoot snipe.

I wasn't taking a side I was just showing everyone what the definition was that I found. I think scout is a better word for "sniper".

Personally "Longballer" is my favorite . . .
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Sentinelz View Drop Down
Suicide By Mod.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentinelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 1:50am

I think sniper, sniping, and shotgun should be added to the damn filter and damn too thats a bad word

please mods, tippmann, someone, do it...

Edited by Sentinelz
Nickodemus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 7:48am

Sorry guys, but I am trying to put some useful info in this "sniper" thread. Call them scouts, it's not sniper/scout school that they train at for nothing. That's like saying your a seal but not a UDT.

I covered the basics of sight adjustment, now holding for wind:

This is guesswork but there are methods. Remember, your projectile is more vulnerable to wind near the end of it's travel. This is because down range the projectile is moving slower, and also the wind has been acting on it longer. Wind is usually never constant - if you are shooting 1000 yards it may push your projectile left for the first 200, then towards you for the next 50, then the wind will curl and go right for the rest of your projectiles travel. Remember, the wind sock by you was reading left, but the last part of travel and most significant distance covered the wind was right. I say it is guesswork because it will shift.

So, to accurately correct for wind you need to make a little chart of how many inches your projectile gets shifted at a given range with a given wind speed. For wind direction you only need to memorise these shifts at anolog clock directions 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00. I would put data for 5 knot, 10 knot, 15 knot, 20 knot, 25 knot, and 30 knot winds. Wind coming from 9:00 will have the same effect as wind coming from 3:00, it will just push the projectile in the opposite direction.

So if I go to shoot and see that a wind sock down by the target reads a 15 knot wind coming from 7:00. I have to look in my notes or remember what 15 knots shifts the projectile at 1:00, say it moves point of impact 3" left at this distance, then correct the direction for the shift that pushes opposite 1:00 (the 7:00 wind sock). My POI is going to be 3" right.

I thought about sharing some advanced skills like accounting for mirage, and trajectory changes when shooting through glass windows, but maybe another day.

Edited by Nickodemus

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 5:57pm
Anyone want to know how to do range estimation...? Are you paintball snipers still interested in target shooting?

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 2:03am

Sorry guys, but I am trying to put some useful info in this "sniper" thread. Call them scouts, it's not sniper/scout school that they train at for nothing. That's like saying your a seal but not a UDT.

This is guesswork but there are methods. Remember, your projectile is more vulnerable to wind near the end of it's travel. This is because down range the projectile is moving slower, and also the wind has been acting on it longer. Wind is usually never constant - if you are shooting 1000 yards it may push your projectile left for the first 200, then towards you for the next 50, then the wind will curl and go right for the rest of your projectiles travel. Remember, the wind sock by you was reading left, but the last part of travel and most significant distance covered the wind was right. I say it is guesswork because it will shift.

So, to accurately correct for wind you need to make a little chart of how many inches your projectile gets shifted at a given range with a given wind speed. For wind direction you only need to memorise these shifts at anolog clock directions 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00. I would put data for 5 knot, 10 knot, 15 knot, 20 knot, 25 knot, and 30 knot winds. Wind coming from 9:00 will have the same effect as wind coming from 3:00, it will just push the projectile in the opposite direction.

So if I go to shoot and see that a wind sock down by the target reads a 15 knot wind coming from 7:00. I have to look in my notes or remember what 15 knots shifts the projectile at 1:00, say it moves point of impact 3" left at this distance, then correct the direction for the shift that pushes opposite 1:00 (the 7:00 wind sock). My POI is going to be 3" right.

I thought about sharing some advanced skills like accounting for mirage, and trajectory changes when shooting through glass windows, but maybe another day.

Buddy, its a paintball.  If you can get the thing to stay straight for even 30 ft its a miracle.

Make all the charts and crap you want, it wont do you any good.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 9:36am

Buddy, its a paintball.  If you can get the thing to stay straight for even 30 ft its a miracle.

Yes, yes my point exactly. Read the whole post and you understand what I am doing. These paintball "snipers" could care less about actual sniper skills. This information is usful to anyone who does any real shooting that may not know it, and I am sure there are some of you on this forum. 

Fieldcraft? I could teach you how to live in the woods for days without making much evidence your there. None will be interested. How can you then call yourself a "Sniper." Thats my point - if your going to pretend, at least have an interest in the role your playing.

Also, if your paintball doesn't stay straight at 30' you really need to learn to aim, or shoot better paint.

Captain Bozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Bozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 2:24pm

I agree with you Demus, most people don't care about true sniper qualities, they just want to shoot a few people with getting seen, and even then they don't have the proper pattern of thought about stuff like escape routes and ways your buddies can move into the void you created with a few well placed shots.

I don't know about calling them a scout, because unless they have radios they are not doing much good, I think they are more like one man ambush, OMA for short... hmm, oma is german for grandmother.

But then agian I still think on a highly organized woodsball team they would be vital for scouting and for sniping they are also good for flanking the enemy when you are stuck in a 50 50 fire fight.

Go to the link for learning more about paintball sniping, which I think is hardly related to the true military sniper.

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/articles/the_true_paintba ll_sniper.asp

DracoPlasm View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What is a DracoPlasm anyway?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DracoPlasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 3:06pm
Sniping is taking out a target you were told to eliminate without being seen...if you do that in a paintball game you sniped him you dont have to have a long range super accurate gun to snipe....if you were to kill someone with a sniper rifle it doesnt mean you sniped them...you just shot them with a sniper rifle you can snipe with anything a sniper rifle is just easier to use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Tr'ang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 6:34pm

ok yes they are called scout/sniper but the only reason they are is b/c during vietnam the man who started the first "scout/sniper" school jim land decided that if the military could use thier snipers as scout as well as long range killing machines they would appriciate them better but as off 1972 almost no snipers have been used as scouts they only did it in the trial and error phases of the sniper and the scout part refers to the use of camoflague and the sirvival skills and so forth basically every thing besides marksmanship and and the esstemation of wind and distance and this is how u guess distance

first of all this is for exptream long range shoot like 300 yards and further first u look at a football field and remember exactly how far that looks then when u are trying to esstemate the range use the image of the football field and roll it over end tyo end until u reach ur target and u always round up now im sure this could be applied to paintball but on a much smaller scale
Blood Blood Blood!!!
Kill Kill Kill!!!

Pro-Carbine
J&J cyramic 16'
9 and 12 oz tanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 8:49pm

I mean range estimation by using a mil scope or the width of your front site.

How I would employ your scouts in woodsball:

[waiting in ambush]

newbie: "When are they going to come over here"

Nick: "Don't worry, I sent two scouts that way to find them and bait them back"

newbie: "I hear markers shooting over there, that's behind our ambush"

Nick "Yeah, I guess they found them - Listen to all that, they are outnumbered, they are buying us time - forget this ambush we all need to move this way, now!"  

Sentinelz View Drop Down
Suicide By Mod.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentinelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 3:11am

I could with about a 35-39 ft barrel with no porting and a messed up valve that sends out air continuously maybe...

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Sentinelz Sentinelz wrote:

I could with about a 35-39 ft barrel with no porting and a messed up valve that sends out air continuously maybe...

Sight adjustment is the same for paintball markers (if you have sights), that is why I said "projectile" not "bullet" or "paintball". Also windage estimation. The difference is the low velocity and inconsistency of the paintballs. They don't go far, have huge amount of drop, and arn't accurate because they're not solid. Other then that, paintballs follow the same rules as any other low-speed projectile.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 10:27am

When I shoot, I strive to have the weapons/projectiles inaccuracy be the weakest link in the chain between myself and the target. Use good paint and bench shoot your market at 30' with it braced against something steadier then you. Aim it at the same one small point every shot, and send a group of paint down range. See how much smaller this group is compared to when you play and shoot at a target that far away.

Let me know how it goes if your group is still to big, it's not difficult to accurize your marker for 30'.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Tr'ang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:20am

I mean range estimation by using a mil scope or the width of your front site.

How I would employ your scouts in woodsball:

[waiting in ambush]

newbie: "When are they going to come over here"

Nick: "Don't worry, I sent two scouts that way to find them and bait them back"

newbie: "I hear markers shooting over there, that's behind our ambush"

Nick "Yeah, I guess they found them - Listen to all that, they are outnumbered, they are buying us time - forget this ambush we all need to move this way, now!"  

yes but todo that u need to know the size of somehting at or neer that range to do it succesfully
Blood Blood Blood!!!
Kill Kill Kill!!!

Pro-Carbine
J&J cyramic 16'
9 and 12 oz tanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic