Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sniping in Paintball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sniping in Paintball
    Posted: 24 May 2005 at 12:32am

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd open up a really nasty can of worms. I've read alot on this board that has to do with sniping. I wanted to give some idiot newbie input. I've been playing paintball for a couple of years, but I've always studied militaria. That's why I play. Sniping, despite common misconceptions, isn't one shot one kill, nor is it hiding in the woods. Those are basic military principles. Sniping is a skill. I know a couple of ex-snipers. Snipers are trained to do many things at once-but most of the time they hide-usually directed at a single target. I'm afraid too many newbies, including me when I first grabbed a gun, start paintball fresh off the online video games like Delta Force, and plan on using those tactics in paintball. I got a serious lesson in getting beat the first time I played trying to snipe fellow player. What I learned is that to create the speed and distance in a paintball to snipe, it would almost have to be lethal. Therefore to be a "sniper" in paintball-assuming the definition of a sniper is not what does, but the skill in which he does it-you would have to be an expert with your gun. The key to being a sniper is to stay hidden. They teach you in the military to stay hidden at all costs. How many people in reality can actually take another player out without his locaion being compromised? Sitting in a trench waiting for another player is an ambush. Staying hidden isn't sniping, it's called woodsball. What would sniping be in paintball, then? In my opinion, sniping is going after one target, and taking that target out without being seen or heard from. As I said, I'm not an expert, I'm simply giving my humble imput on this discussion. I've hashed this out with my friends over and over, and from my little experience I've learned the hard way that sniping isn't only hard, in the average game it's near impossible.

Yeah, that was a really long-winded rant, but I'd like to hear more from other players who've been out there alot longer than me as to whether sniping is a valid position in paintball, and different ideas on how to pull it off. I think there was another thread on this elsewhere, so sorry if I'm rehashing old arguments.

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 4:24am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd open up a really nasty can of worms.

Not a wise move

I've read alot on this board that has to do with sniping. I wanted to give some idiot newbie input. I've been playing paintball for a couple of years, but I've always studied militaria. That's why I play. Sniping, despite common misconceptions, isn't one shot one kill, nor is it hiding in the woods. Those are basic military principles.

No buddy, thats woodsballer tactics

Sniping is a skill. I know a couple of ex-snipers.

If they are real military snipers they will tell you sniping in Paintball is bull poo

Snipers are trained to do many things at once-but most of the time they hide-usually directed at a single target. I'm afraid too many newbies, including me when I first grabbed a gun, start paintball fresh off the online video games like Delta Force, and plan on using those tactics in paintball. I got a serious lesson in getting beat the first time I played trying to snipe fellow player. What I learned is that to create the speed and distance in a paintball to snipe, it would almost have to be lethal. Therefore to be a "sniper" in paintball-assuming the definition of a sniper is not what does, but the skill in which he does it

Whats the skill?

-you would have to be an expert with your gun. The key to being a sniper is to stay hidden.

Buddy, you just told me that was a "military principle", not a sniper thing.

They teach you in the military to stay hidden at all costs. How many people in reality can actually take another player out without his locaion being compromised?

Depends on the player being shot.  Its not that hard you will find.

Sitting in a trench waiting for another player is an ambush. Staying hidden isn't sniping,

Make up your mind buddy.  You told me first staying hidden is a military thing not a sniper thing, then you told me its vital to being a sniper, not you are saying its not sniping.

it's called woodsball.

Hence my earilier point . . .

What would sniping be in paintball, then? In my opinion, sniping is going after one target, and taking that target out without being seen or heard from.

Thats all fine and dandy but if you search the topic we've shown it doesnt work.

As I said, I'm not an expert, I'm simply giving my humble imput on this discussion. I've hashed this out with my friends over and over, and from my little experience I've learned the hard way that sniping isn't only hard, in the average game it's near impossible.

More like is impossible

Yeah, that was a really long-winded rant, but I'd like to hear more from other players who've been out there alot longer than me as to whether sniping is a valid position in paintball, and different ideas on how to pull it off. I think there was another thread on this elsewhere, so sorry if I'm rehashing old arguments.

And Wrong forum buddy
Real Men play Tuba

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1859/newsmall6xz.jpg">

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Nickodemus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 7:33am

Welcome to the forum. With the paintball snipers... Now I look the other way and don't get myself into the argument anymore. If you have target shot a hi power rifle or know about fieldcraft it is dismissed. There are role playing snipers, but thats it.  Those of you who put scopes on your marker - do you adjust them for drop @ distance in gameplay? Do you "snipers" even know what a MOA is?

Sounds like you know this is a can of worms... lets try to keep from getting it out of hand.

Think and give them all you have from the beginning, and never weaken!

MT. Vigilante View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:00am

Welcome to the forum, but this is in the wrong section, it should be in T&O. or new players.

With that said, thank you for your comments, unlike many people, your comments do show a great degree of experience and knowledge of play.

However, you still have a lot to learn about paintball. You can not squeeze off a paint marker round without giving away your position for a couple of reasons, 1) Paint balls are ultra sub-sonic rounds, so you can see where they came from, just like tracers. 2) Because of the close proximity of your opponents in paintball, there is no marker quiet enough for no one to hear where your shots came from. Also, in order to be an effective player, you have to stay with your team and work with them, not go off on your own.

Just remember, this is how you get better in paintball, by learning and asking questions.

Join the XP Re-Revolution!
Jmann4567 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmann4567 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 12:13pm

welcome to the forum. i dont really get into these big and long sniper arguments and this should be in the T&O forum.

Good Luck

98c
Smart Parts Teardrop
Ricochet Rhino hopper
deadOn double trigger
Pen spring mod
Custom paintjob
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/16221294395.jpg&s=f5

Zoso View Drop Down
Strike 1. Oh, the irony....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 12:29pm
  1. To shoot at individuals from a concealed place.
  2. To shoot snipe.
  3. To make malicious, underhand remarks or attacks.

Thats defined in the American Heritage Dictionary

I also forgot to mention that the word snipe came from people who were able to shoot snipe(Birds). The birds were so hard to hit because they could turn 90 degrees without slowing down almost. It was so hard that they called the people who could Snipers. I learned that in New Orleans from one of the tour guides.

Edited by Zoso
All I see turns to brown
As the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand
As I scan this wasted land
Tryin to find where i've been
LordJovian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 1:57pm
Who really cares? You want to call yourself a sniper while you play to feel really cool or what? If you want to sound cool, why don't you try calling yourself a simulated M1A1 Abhrams? Or a Bradley? Why don't you refer to yourself as Black Ops? Or a Navy Seal? I don't care if you call yourself Der Wüste Fuchs or Erwin Rommel, you're still you. Can you snipe in paintball? Well, ask yourself this. Can you pretend your paintball as an atomic bomb and whenever it hits anywhere on the field everyone dies and you win! Quit complaining- sniper, sniping, whatever I don't care what its called by anyone else- I call it shooting someone. I do believe thats kinda the main point to paintball- to shoot the other team. Please, go ahead and make either a stupid sarcastic remark, or try to pull out the Big Book of Sniper Terminology. No matter what you do, everything will always remain the same. Every move you make in paintball, from hiding behind a bunker to running directly at the other team shooting wildly everywhere, has a military counterpart. War has been around a very, very, very long time before paintball. Every military tactic, whether you're holding a gun or a big stick, has been defined and done before.  Most of you probably don't even know what the Congressional Medal of Honor looks like, so don't go crying about how they're stealing titles of the fallen. There are Normandy simulations, and thats enough evidence to show you can call yourself a sniper whether or not you really have the training. It doesn't even matter, cry somewhere else besides the forum.
A-5
E-grip
Chipley Custom Carbon Graphite 16"
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg
JCS Duel Trigger
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 2:47pm
Ok, I never thought there were Snipers in paintball.

But after this last senerio I was at, I have revoked my stand.

This guy imbodied everything the word sniper holds. I shall explain further.

He could not be seen (a guy went 5 feet in front of him). He always had a one shot elimination, this was due to the fact that he would lay and wait. He would radio in the position and movement of the enemy (this is a biggy).

Although he never took the extremely long shot usually associated with a "sniper". He did do many things that a normal paintball player does not do, and if they do, not that well. I believe that the paintball version of the "sniper" is different in regards to range. But the same in scouting ability.

So...In recap. There are snipers in paintball, just not in the traditional sense.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 3:20pm
He was not a sniper, he was a scout. Snipers usually work in pairs.  Paintball Snipers - It's like a little kid putting on a red hat and playing fireman. Nothing against it, except I think it is a little lame for a grown man. I must be a paintball ninja because I hide(silently) and observe(spy) and go places you wouldn't think someone would travel.

Edited by Nickodemus

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 7:50pm

In response to Darur-

No buddy, thats woodsballer tactics

They have woodsball in the military? I wasn't talking about paintball, I was talking about the military. And those are basic military skills, non-exclusive to snipers.

Buddy, you just told me that was a "military principle", not a sniper thing.

It is a military principle. It's not exclusive to snipers.

Make up your mind buddy.  You told me first staying hidden is a military thing not a sniper thing, then you told me its vital to being a sniper, not you are saying its not sniping.

You didn't show any contradiction in what I just said. Staying hidden is vital to being sniper, but doesn't make you a sniper. As I stated above, being a sniper is the ability to put basic military principles together and add in being an extremely good shot with an accurate weapon. If you can't stay hidden while doing this, you won't las very long in the real world.

Thats all fine and dandy but if you search the topic we've shown it doesnt work.

And your point is-? I think that's where I was headed with that long post.

I'll try to put my opinon in less lengthy words-I don't think sniping works for the average player. That's why I wanted alternate opinons-to either back up or dismiss my opinon. Also, I put this in the New Ideas forum because I wanted to hear new ideas on how to make sniping work. That was where I was going, and I didn't know which category it would fall under, so I posted it in this one. And I believe I stated quite a few times that I'm not an expert, and that's why I'm asking other opinons. If I was trying to act like one, I wouldn't have asked.

LordJovian-Not sure what you meant by "go cry somewhere else". I don't care if someone puts on a Medal of Honor and goes around saying they're a sniper. That doesn't bother me. I think people who act like being a paintball player makes you a real soldier are not only ignorant, but probably have lived in a cave for a large portion of their life. That's not what this post is about. It's not ranting about how it irritates me that people refer to themselves as snipers, it's about whether other people think sniping is possible practically in sniping.

Edited by stratoaxe
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 7:58pm
Something else I forgot to mention about snipers-Often a sniper in the traditional sense is assigned a single target. Snipers are more of a support, or backup for a team; not the "lone wolf" Rambo guys you see on TV. Snipers take out targets that the rest of a group couldn't normally take out.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 8:18pm
In some cases sniper/scout harrass and demoralize your enemy. They buy you time. A cruise missle destroys your prime target now.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 8:21pm
New discussion-cruise missiles in paintball. J/K lol.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 8:28pm

Get a remote contol airplane and put one of those cool radio cameras in it. Attach a cargo load of paintballs, set up like grapeshot. Then call it, the "Sniper"!

Imagine the guys on the ground, "ohh no, hears comes that little..."

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 8:46pm

^lol

Edited by stratoaxe
Captain Bozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Bozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 12:56am

A MOA is an inch per hundred yards nickodemus.

Sniping is a word that has a couple of meanings, like when hunters would shoot a bird called a snipe, which is a small and fast flying bird, they where called snipers, basicaly meaning a good shooter. In world war one they hardly had what you could call a sniper, but as guns and scopes and radios and camo got better the art evolved into what they are today: a inteligence gatherer, an observer, a demoralizer and a high precision enemy removal system.

In paintball the weapons are not near so advanced as a modern rifle, I mean I can put three bullets in a half inch group at a hundred yards with my .243 rifle any day, which is half a moa. You can not get near that good with a paintball gun at 30 yrds.

My point is you can have a sniper in paintball, in a highly organized team, but most of the time you just have a one man ambush.

Edited by Captain Bozo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 7:50am

Good rule of thumb for estimation.

M-minute O-of A-angle

Close, but 1 MOA @ 100 yards is 1.0472 inches. The difference gets bigger at further distance.

MOA (in) = [tan(1/60) X distance to target yards] X 36

Practial problem:

Some newbie zeroed my scope at 50 yards. My scope has 1/4 MOA adjustments. I shoot a group at 500 yards and decide I want to bring my point of impact up 5 inches. How do I adjust my scope?

A= 4 clicks up.

I decide to play at 25 yards with my rifle. My group lands 4 inches up and 3 inches left. How do I zero it for 25 yards?

A= 64 clicks up, 48 clicks right.

I still say people should just call them scout players. Much more applicable.

Edited by Nickodemus

x-mo-x View Drop Down
strike 3, language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x-mo-x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Nickodemus Nickodemus wrote:

M-minute O-of A-angle

Close, but 1 MOA @ 100 yards is 1.0472 inches. The difference gets bigger at further distance.

Practial problem:

Some newbie zeroed my scope at 50 yards. My scope has 1/4 MOA adjustments. I shoot a group at 500 yards and decide I want to bring my point of impact up 5 inches. How do I adjust my scope?

A= 4 clicks up.

I decide to play at 25 yards with my rifle. My group lands 4 inches up and 3 inches left. How do I zero it for 25 yards?

ya i guess you got a point!!! i being in the military (well i just got back du to an injury to a knee ) i have only one thing to say

Darure SHUT UP if you dont know what your talking about sorry to be (edited)about that but the kid hase a good point about does skills!!

And yes sniper is not a good name for that skill!!! alltought its the closest thin to it it wont work!!

Edited by Reb Cpl
Eyes up this one's for you!!! Brought to you by the Canadian Guy!!!
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 7:24pm

Darur, you're my hero.

tears of joy

HITMAN 4 HIRE View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HITMAN 4 HIRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by x-mo-x x-mo-x wrote:

Originally posted by Nickodemus Nickodemus wrote:

M-minute O-of A-angle

Practial problem:

A= 4 clicks up.

ya i guess you got a point!!! i being in the military (well i just got back du to an injury to a knee ) i have only one thing to say

Darure SHUT UP if you dont know what your talking about sorry to be a btch about that but the kid hase a good point about does skills!!

And yes sniper is not a good name for that skill!!! alltought its the closest thin to it it wont work!!

finally some real knowledgable input.  thank you.
Because I can.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic