FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

geez, not again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 10:08pm
I love your sig, deadeye...
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

A.C.L.U. American Communist Laywers Union

How clever.  Did you think of that all on your own?

Maybee...Maybee not...

Instead of fighting over it. We should keep it how it is and let every one come to an understanding that the word God in the pledge stands for whatever you want. (God, Buddha, Allah, Joeseph Smith etc.etc.) Also for the athiest that dont believe in any god at all can let the word God mean whatever makes them happy (money pizza sex Gi Joes etc. etc.) That way everybody is happy.

BRad
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 10:01pm

Meph, it isn't so much that not having "under god" is an endorsement of atheism in and of itself - it is the theory that the ongoing removal of religion from ALL aspects of government collectively amounts to an endorsement of atheism.  If there had never been religion there to begin with it might not be any problem at all - but the ACT of removal itself is not neutral - it is actual proactive removal.

And that could rationally, IMO, be seen as an endorsement of atheism.

I don't find that argument particularly persuasive, but I can see the reasoning.

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/aag8s8.jpg">
Mephistopheles View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
DELETED!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mephistopheles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Fat Stalin Fat Stalin wrote:

You are forcing atheism on me by taking it out. The arguement goes either way. 

How? There is no "Under a state where no God exists."

There is no arguement, and any attempt at one is a poor one by somebody just digging tooth and nail for any possibility of making one. Since it does not state the fact that God doesn't exist, it is not implying atheism.

You can not have Freedom of Religion and "Under God." Simple as that. You are forcing a specific religion onto poeple and it completely bullies through the First Amendment.

And Da Hui. They can't do that to you or you can actually take them to court, oh and you'll win quite easily. Sit at your desk, remove your hat, and just sit quietly and politely, show respect. If they give you detention refuse on the grounds of the fact that being a public school you have the legal option to not recite the pledge.

Of course that's only if you feel the need to. If you want you can be pressured into doing the pledge and not stand up for what you believe in. Then go ahead and put your hand over your heart.
Frank Zappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Zappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:55pm
Darur.

You would think the Boy Scouts were training terrorists.

But no, its worse, much worse.

They believe in God, and don't let scout leaders be homosexual.
It's all a conspiracy.

Edgar Cayce>you
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:51pm
ITs not the actual "under god" thing thats the problem, its you actually will get punished if you dont say the pledge, how severe i am not sure. i dont really care bout the undergod part cause im christian
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:50pm

I am personally amazed that the ACLU isnt jumping all over and hasnt been jumping all over Kamehameha schools.  Apperently they have also been receiveing Federal money making their Admissions policy unconstitutional.  Instead they are chasing after the Boy Scouts because everyone knows how terrible we are.

<fixed it>

Edited by Rambino
Real Men play Tuba

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1859/newsmall6xz.jpg">

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:44pm

Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

How clever.  Did you think of that all on your own?

Frank Zappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Zappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:44pm
We should make a little insert thing into the Pledge so you can say "god, allah, someone, or  the atheists could say under the Commander in chief."

But it has to flow. Thats the important thing.
It's all a conspiracy.

Edgar Cayce>you
TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:42pm
As posted at another time: I plead alignment to the flakes of the untitled snakes of a merry cow, and to the republicans for which they scam, one nacho, under pants, with licorice and jugs of wine for owls.

Da Hui, I'm questioning your honesty here, few organizations are more sensitive of the consequences of forcing the pledge than public schools. Teachers have  been fired for lesser offence.

Bacon's essay on Atheism is an interesting read, "lack of belief is unto itself a belief" (my quote, not his, but derived from what I understood from his argument).

George Bernard Shaw's arguments concerning the merits, or lack thereof, of religion are also an entertaining read.

For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:38pm

BRad
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dukes of Hazzard is SOOO Last Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:36pm
You shouldnt have to say the pledge, if Under God really offends you.  But I can agree with making you say it.

saepe fidelis
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:29pm

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Wow, at my school we have to say the pledge, or we will get detention or whatever. And yes I go to public school.

Regardless of any "under god" issues, that strikes me as a rather obvious violation of the First Amendment.

If it bothers you, I suspect a quick call to the ACLU will fix your problem.

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:25pm
Wow, at my school we have to say the pledge, or we will get detention or whatever. And yes I go to public school.
Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dukes of Hazzard is SOOO Last Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 9:10pm
Under god was added when the nation recieved a spike in christianity due to WWII.

And when you think about it, wouldn't the seperation be meant for keeping government out of religion, such as in England with the king as head of state and religion, from where many had just came?

saepe fidelis
Fat Stalin View Drop Down
Strike 1 Derogatory Sexual Slur 9/22

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 8:18pm
You are forcing atheism on me by taking it out. The arguement goes either way. 

Mephistopheles View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
DELETED!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mephistopheles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by bluemunky42 bluemunky42 wrote:

discuss.

There are 2 options I see. Why? Because I look at things in a very simple mannor.

1) Remove it, it didn't begin in there, so it's not like we're burning the constitution.

2) If you must mention God, then you must be equal and mention ALL religious figures, as well as mentioning if you don't believe in a God so trust in yourself.

One or the other. Not really a hard topic. The ORIGINAL Pledge was written by Communist, and was a Pledge to MY flag. Wasn't country specific.

Though, in a state of irony I feel, the US Gov't added God in there to show, of all people, the "godless communists" that we're fighting a war and we have God on our side and they didn't.

It really shouldn't be a big deal. Either accept all practices in there, or remove all practices. Nothing too difficult, but people who can't think for **** always have to ruin it by forcing their beliefs onto others.
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 7:30pm
I find it amusing that the pledge is about a nation being indivisable and two words thrown in as an afterthought have made it divisable.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Badsmitty Badsmitty wrote:

Originally posted by Xspyderman Xspyderman wrote:

"I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

[Original Pledge of Allegiance (1892)]
The Strange Origin of the Pledge of Allegiance

Go back to the original version and the problem is solved... short and sweet... no drama...

But if you do that, God will wink out of existence.

And Pat Roberts will blame another disaster on you and Ellen.

Edited by .Ryan

TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 5:16pm
The judge's decision will not stand. The Sacramento judge based his decision on the ruling of an appellate court in the prior Newdow case. When the case was returned to the state by the Supreme Court the appellate court's decision was nullified, and therefore cannot be used as a precedent.

The judge in question is was appointed by the Carter administration, and his views are predictable.

The middle ground is that no one is required to say the pledge in part, or in whole, regardless of the version used.

Edited by TRAVELER
For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic