Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Legal silencer (A5flatline) ?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Strike 1 - Language 9/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legal silencer (A5flatline) ?!
    Posted: 28 September 2005 at 11:32pm

What if... this might be a very stupid idea (since i'm next to zero in aerodinamics), but here it goes... what if we could make a certain amount of holes (as small as possible) at a certain degree (45 to be more precise, facing same direction as the air flow of the barrel), on the horizontal plane, in the barrel of the A5 flatline, stuff the shroud with fiberglass (or other), and assemble it back?!

In theory, it all works out, except for the:

1) Would the drilling damage to the interior of the barrel be very vital to it's performance?

2) And what would be the distance capability loos of the barrel?

If i'm repeating someones idea, i'm sorry... I did a search though, nothing of the sort came up...

Thank you for taking your time to read this. Would love to see your opinions.

Andrei.

TOPGUN 414 View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Foul language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOPGUN 414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 12:49am
hmmmmm....i dont know....cause if you drill into your barrel you might get burs on the inside witch could result in ball breakage....but me i would just get a old flatline barrel cheap from somewhere and experiment
A5
RT
Mp5 clip
Mp5 handguard
dual offset rail
tactical flashlight w p/s
42mm simmons redot
polished internals
maddman spring kit
starfire bolt
fx style stock
14in nightstik barrel
89JW View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language 9/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:02am

Originally posted by TOPGUN 414 TOPGUN 414 wrote:

hmmmmm....i dont know....cause if you drill into your barrel you might get burs on the inside witch could result in ball breakage....but me i would just get a old flatline barrel cheap from somewhere and experiment

Yes, I agree, but think about it this way... the barrel is metal, and when drilling metal, especially with a small (thin) drill bit, the burs might not be that segnificant + is the inside of the barel coted with ceramic?? is so, the there would be no burs at all... since I could simli pull something through te barell (like a squeege, only softer), and brush of the ceramic residue, resulting in virtually no burs...

so is the inside of the flatline coted with ceramic (or other material that has ceramic (sand) properties?? 

cv222005 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv222005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:49am

read this from the www.atf.gov aparently silecers are illegal for pball too.

(A9) Q. Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers legal? [Back]

A. §921(a)(24) The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball silencers tested by the Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers as defined in 18 U.S.C., Section 921(a)(24). An individual wishing to manufacturer a firearm silencer must receive prior approval from ATF by submitting an ATF Form 1 and paying a $200 making tax.

Edited by cv222005

98C
R/T
M4 foregrips W/sightpost
3POS-M4 STOCK
REMOTE
89JW View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language 9/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 10:36am
Originally posted by cv222005 cv222005 wrote:

reat this from the www.atf.gov aparently silecers are illegal for pball too.

*for the lazy ::

(A9) Q. Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers legal? [Back]

A. §921(a)(24) The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball silencers tested by the Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers as defined in 18 U.S.C., Section 921(a)(24). An individual wishing to manufacturer a firearm silencer must receive prior approval from ATF by submitting an ATF Form 1 and paying a $200 making tax.

I am aware of that... but <poopy>that (sorry about my language)!!!  <don't apologize - just read the rules and follow them>

If it's illegal, IT'S ILLEGAL!!! How does $200 not make it illegal anymore?!

Do they have the same policy for cocaine? if so, how much is a dealer licence?

Thank you.

PS: Soda bottles or any other plastic bottles should also be illegal then since they can also serve as silencers for small caliber handguns...

Edited by Rambino
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 11:04am
You could easily make a silencer, but call it a "Fake Suppressor" Im making a "fake Suppressor" on the CNC Machine....
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 11:34am
This mod gets suggested every so often - somebody should actually try it and report back.
89JW View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language 9/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 2:45pm

Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

This mod gets suggested every so often - somebody should actually try it and report back.

Ok. I get your point. As soon as i work out the detail and find a used flatline, I PROMISE ILL TRY IT AND POST MY FINDINGS...

evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Thats true, it does get suggested so much but, why take the chance in really trying to make one because, the last thing anyone wants is having BATF and the local Sheriff knocking at their door because someone reported that he/she was able to create a silencer/sound supressor for their marker but, failed to report it to the BATF to be approved for use.
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 2:58pm
I say go ahead and make it. The ATF has better things to do than chase down paintballers.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 5:09pm

i dont know if this is true or not, but i heard that the atf outlawed paintball silencers because they can be used on real guns. i heard about a loop hole somewhere that says if the silencer is part of the barrel, and cant be removed (example, welding), then its legal. gluing doesnt count because its just attatching, not built in. using this loop hole, the flatline should be legal. also, you cant use the flatline silencer idea on a real gun because of the curve of the barrel. it might actually be a legal design.

-edit- also, drill the holes on the bottom of the barrel, because the ball is forced to the top and will be out of the way.

Edited by DeTrevni
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 6:43pm
ummm,

the flatline shroud isn't welded on.
whack-a-mole View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Member of the "I Have No Life Club"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whack-a-mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 12:14am
yeah, i agree. make one when you get a chance and report back. You can still use it in back-yard paintball. I think it would be cool.
NASA and the Americans spent millions of dollars and hundreds of hours to develop a pen that would write in space.....The Russians used a pencil.
the_blade View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<esser is more

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 12:46am
evcen if burs develop at the end of the barrel its noting a sanding wheel couldnt get rid of?
95 base neon 3.0 cai, knifedged crankshaft 60 mill throttle body,14 crane cam crane springs/retainers eagle rods port matched/ polished intake p&p head shaved .015 phantom grip diff dohc exuast
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 1:27am
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

ummm,

the flatline shroud isn't welded on.
i know that! the thing is, any nut could tell you you couldnt use a flatline with a real gun, so even if you do get caught, you have a good defense. do it. make the silencer. it should be ok. but, dont listen to me. i live in texas where a LOT of stupidity is legal!

Hades View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 3:30pm
Apperently not enough stupidity is illegal in Texas since your not locked up yet....

Sorry you left the barn door wide open for the horses to run through on that one.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 4:15pm
oh ha flippin ha...

89JW View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language 9/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 10:02pm

Originally posted by the_blade the_blade wrote:

evcen if burs develop at the end of the barrel its noting a sanding wheel couldnt get rid of?

... and how exactly do you plan to use the sanding wheel? the burs will form on the inside of the barrel...

PLUS:

The interior of the barrel is coted with ceramic... so, burs can not form, because ceramic dissipates... but then again, thats all theory for now... I still havent found a used flatline to test my theory... :(

SO THERE WILL BE NO NEED FOR SANDING... theortically... :)

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2005 at 10:47am
Originally posted by whack-a-mole whack-a-mole wrote:

yeah, i agree. make one when you get a chance and report back. You can still use it in back-yard paintball. I think it would be cool.

No, do not report back. There will be no forum discussion involving directions to build an illegal silencer.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2005 at 11:06am

Yeah. If you do report back, DO NOT include instructions on how to make it.

Also It is true that if a silencer is part of a barrel it is legal. As long as the barrel cannot be modded to fit a real gun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic