Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann isnt good enough?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Strike 2 - Language 5/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thornygravy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 12:47pm

Originally posted by red_alert406 red_alert406 wrote:

what a great thread i love it!

lol its getting no where

-Tippy 98c
-Polished Interns.
-RD Double Trig.
-5'' Drop
-j+j ceram 14''
-12v revy x-board
-SmartParts Grips
-Pen Spring Mod
-Milled Rear Sight
-Filled Front Grip
-Blue Paint job
Rico's Revenge View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 1:31pm

The shop owner was right and wrong...

He was 100% wrong to bash anything... it is not his decision as to what market you choose to use.

He was right about the DM6 being a superior marker.  I love Tippys, so this is not a cut on them.   However, I base my comment on the following:

Size... get into a snake with both markers... which one would help you stay concealed?   The design of the Tippmann is old.   The configuration is not condusive to todays style of play which is more open and in smaller confines. 

Weight... duh.   Anyone picked up a fully modded 98 recently?

BPS... you can get a Tippy to run close to the BPS of the DM6, but not nearly as dependably.   This has alot to do with the blow-back design and more importantly the feed design.   Even with a center-feed and a force-fed hopper, the Tippy still does not feed as well as the DM6 because it was never designed for it.   Chop city.

Operating Pressure... 75 psi compared to 400 psi (with an LP kit)

Efficiency... how many pods can you dump from the same air source with each?  

Sound... the Tippy is loud, thats just the way it is.   The excess noise gives away your position and limits what you can hear (Teammates, opposing players, etc...)

Maintenance... routine maintenance on a DM6 comes down to greasing the bolt which screws apart into 3 peices.   (actually, you don't even need to disassemble the bolt to grease it)   With the Tipmmann... 6 screws to break apart the clamshell, don't lose the detent!  Dangit, the stupid front sight spring popped out!   Ah, man, how did those pins go back in again?   etc...

My conclusion is pretty obvious as to which is the better marker.   As for the price difference... how different is it REALLY after you completely mod the Tippy?   Stock marker + E-Bolt + LP Kit + Internals + Upgraded board + Eyes + Centerfeed + Trigger + Regulator + LP Regulator, etc... do the math on that.

Edited by Rico's Revenge - 28 June 2006 at 1:32pm
"Thats right, I play pump... your girlfriend borrowed my last set of batteries."
"How many times a second are you going to miss me before I shoot you?"
Dave Ellis Rocks!!!
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 4:41pm
it's more fun to shoot someone while using a tippmann though...
X
thornygravy View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Language 5/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thornygravy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 10:19pm

Originally posted by Styro Folme Styro Folme wrote:

it's more fun to shoot someone while using a tippmann though...

booyah to that

-Tippy 98c
-Polished Interns.
-RD Double Trig.
-5'' Drop
-j+j ceram 14''
-12v revy x-board
-SmartParts Grips
-Pen Spring Mod
-Milled Rear Sight
-Filled Front Grip
-Blue Paint job
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 7:17am
Quote (but the timmy is also the heaviest, bulkiest marker i've owned)...

Well, it's obvious you haven't held my A-5 then. LOL
Dan db09 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan db09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 3:36pm
Both reasons... He probably wanted you to be interested in the DM6... Also he laughed because Tippy's aren't the best speedball guns but they can be one... I've seen many Tippmann speedball guns.. 
Lt_Dan22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lt_Dan22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 8:13pm
Tippmanns don't suck, they are the best for what they are made to do,woodsball.  I'm not saying you can't use a tippmann in speedball, i've come 2nd in a speedball tourney against guys with insane speedball guns, but if you want to have that edge against the other players in speedball, and if you have the CA$H, you might consider getting the DM6.
Lt_Dan22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lt_Dan22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 8:17pm

Originally posted by glazener24 glazener24 wrote:

Of course a DM6 is better than any Tippy...

I'd like to see a tippmann and a DM?, side by side, thrown in sand, mud and water and see which one works better after, this will prove that tipmmans are made for woodsball, not for speedball, as for the DM6, it is obviously a speedball gun

tippya5extreme View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Filterdodging/Language 7/17

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippya5extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 9:32pm
no gun can beet tippmanns i think, tippmanns are so reliable unlike high tech guns who need to be pamperd. seriously you can throw tippmanns on the ground and run overthem, the onlything your going to do to them is scratch some paint or possably reck your egrip or other upgraded devices. Shure tippmanns could be used for speed ball. Im getting a 22bps even flow right now. ive played many speedball games and yes, i dont have the best gun out there but i know its going to last. -i saw a tourney on tv and during the speedball tourney this guys gun stoped working. -now, if he had a tippmann (not saying that perfessional speedball players should have tippmanns) that wouldn't of happend. if you upgrade your tippmann it could be light, fast, dependable,..ect...all im saying is, tippmanns ALL THE WAY BABY!

tippya5extreme
Strike 2 - Language 5/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thornygravy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 10:14pm

Originally posted by tippya5extreme tippya5extreme wrote:

if you upgrade your tippmann it could be light

your wrong there, tippmanns are heavy compared to the average gun, and upgrading adds weight. my tippy weighs 13 pounds (with an empty tank and empty hopper), and its pretty mech.

Edited by thornygravy - 29 June 2006 at 10:16pm
-Tippy 98c
-Polished Interns.
-RD Double Trig.
-5'' Drop
-j+j ceram 14''
-12v revy x-board
-SmartParts Grips
-Pen Spring Mod
-Milled Rear Sight
-Filled Front Grip
-Blue Paint job

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippya5extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by thornygravy thornygravy wrote:

your wrong there, tippmanns are heavy compared to the average gun, and upgrading adds weight. my tippy weighs 13 pounds (with an empty tank and empty hopper), and its pretty mech.

wrong, polished internels, lighter powertube and bolt

tippya5extreme
Strike 2 - Language 5/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thornygravy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 10:20pm

lol polished internals does very minor weight reductions.. like an oz or 2?

Plus, even with that stuff tippmanns are still heavy guns.

Edited by thornygravy - 29 June 2006 at 10:22pm
-Tippy 98c
-Polished Interns.
-RD Double Trig.
-5'' Drop
-j+j ceram 14''
-12v revy x-board
-SmartParts Grips
-Pen Spring Mod
-Milled Rear Sight
-Filled Front Grip
-Blue Paint job

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippya5extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 11:37pm

there not to me,

ps: whats that game ware you test your bps?

tippya5extreme
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 12:37am

Polishing the internals removes paint dust.

The stock powertube weighs about as as much as a handfull of pennies.

The front bolt weighs next to nothing, but I guess with the reaer bolt you could shave off a little weight...

Really though if weight is a problem you need to hit the gym or consider buying a different gun, depending on the circumstances.

Strike 2 - Language 5/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thornygravy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:58am
Originally posted by hybrid-sniper hybrid-sniper wrote:

Polishing the internals removes paint dust.

The stock powertube weighs about as as much as a handfull of pennies.

The front bolt weighs next to nothing, but I guess with the reaer bolt you could shave off a little weight...

Really though if weight is a problem you need to hit the gym or consider buying a different gun, depending on the circumstances.

bravo.

-Tippy 98c
-Polished Interns.
-RD Double Trig.
-5'' Drop
-j+j ceram 14''
-12v revy x-board
-SmartParts Grips
-Pen Spring Mod
-Milled Rear Sight
-Filled Front Grip
-Blue Paint job
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 10:13am

Not necessarily the case though... weight can play a HUGE part in your game.   

It matters when you are making a 30 yd sprint on break!  It REALLY matters when you are snapshooting because of the mass that you have to get moving to snap out and then reverse directions to snap back in.   Running and snapshooting are not Speedball only related... they are basic paintball skills.   Any advantage you can gain here should be looked at.

"Thats right, I play pump... your girlfriend borrowed my last set of batteries."
"How many times a second are you going to miss me before I shoot you?"
Dave Ellis Rocks!!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 10:24am

As for reliability, a tippy with an E-Grip/Bolt has the same issues as a DM, Shocker, Ego, etc... electronics.  

Which reminds me a a fond memory: I played a tourney in the rain and the mud on the field was about 8" deep... on break people would lose their shoes because they were stuck!!   Not that it mattered, you couldn't hit anything farther than about 10' in front of you anyway!   Good times!

**Edit... btw, I shot my DM4 through all of that and it never once chopped or went down... there were barrel breaks, but not a single ball broke in the gun itself.

Edited by Rico's Revenge - 30 June 2006 at 10:29am
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Rico's Revenge Rico's Revenge wrote:

Not necessarily the case though... weight can play a HUGE part in your game.   

It matters when you are making a 30 yd sprint on break!  It REALLY matters when you are snapshooting because of the mass that you have to get moving to snap out and then reverse directions to snap back in.   Running and snapshooting are not Speedball only related... they are basic paintball skills.   Any advantage you can gain here should be looked at.

Like I said though, if you need the maneuverability of a lighter gun you may want to consider a new marker.

Zirlian_1788 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zirlian_1788 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2006 at 11:51am

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

here's the thing, while many guns may be better than a tippy, a tippy has potential. with an e-bolt, a tippy can keep up with the rest of them (for the most part). also, they are a heckuvalot cheaper. so it depends on where you are trying to go. if you are constantly speedballin, you might want to upgrade, if you are semi-constantly speedballin, you could just ebay an e-bolt.

Not true.  Take an Ion and drop a Blackheart board or Virtue for around $300 total and you have a gun thats as good as any other gun for the same amount of money.

>Smart Parts Ion
>Tippmann A-5
Team Adrenaline Rush
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2006 at 2:14pm

oh yeah, touche.

i completely forgot about the ion.  anyway, as compared to the dm series, except for the old matrixes, e-bolted tippmanns are for the most part a lot cheaper. e-bolted tippmanns fall into their own class, with, i think, old 'trixes, bko's, and some other "low-high-end" guns.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic