Thank you Sen. Kerry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 10:39pm
True, it is not an arguement, but if all your dreams come true, and in 08 we have a democratic majority in both senate, and house, and democrat president, will you see that as a regime? And will you show the same outrage as thier agenda is rammed thru with little or no debate, rubber stamped legislation, and unchecked presidential power. What becomes of the required checks and balances then? Welcome to the world of American politics and the perpetual pendulem(sp) of American politics. We were left with Carter, we swung right with Reagan, we hit a nuetral with Bush 41, we swung left with Clinton, we swung right with Bush 43, and where we go next.............?

Edited by oldsoldier - 02 November 2006 at 10:53pm
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 10:13pm
OS, you did it too is not an argument....

ps
  We have Obama too...

FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by goodsmitty goodsmitty wrote:

Whoever that was waiting for some response to some "fact-filled" bit of trivia I can do one better.

How many forumers are there here that don't have a college education but do have stable work, don't live with mom, and don't cook french fries?

I would like to see how many options there are other than a college degree and Iraq. I know there are a few, but not many. I live in the Ohio rust belt and know for a fact that 250,000 people turned in their hardhats for blue "may I help you" aprons.

Kerry was right, deal with it. Your generation's options are bleak but you continue to support the regime making it bleaker. Say high to Al-Sadr for me!!

Oh Christ are you serious?!?  Just ONCE I'd like you to actually respond to someone calling you out on the FACTS.  Sorry, my previous post was filled with those "pesky" facts, but again, never let those get in the way of a good story or a grandstanding post.

What a joke.

I live in Ohio too, slick, and I'm not seeing what you see.  Care to site me FACTUAL articles or statistics to back up your 250,000 "blue hat" workers claim?  Or are you making that up too, like the numbers in your previous posts?

Originally posted by Absolutely ABSURD forumer Absolutely ABSURD forumer wrote:

How many forumers are there here that don't have a college education but do have stable work, don't live with mom, and don't cook french fries?

Very scientific of you professor.  Let's get a response from a forum filled with 15 yr. olds on how many have stable work and don't live with Mom and Dad.  Brilliant!  Definitely outdoing that "crazy fact post" of mine.

Really, is this the best you can do?  Why TKD ever referred to you as the "common sense Jesus", I'll never know.  But for my tastes, I'll just refer to you as Cap'n Dodge of the S.S. Blowhard.

Get Real.

Edited by FlimFlam - 02 November 2006 at 11:31pm

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

Well, the fact that we've had a rubber stamp congress and an
ineffectual court for the past 6 years may help with that
definition.....When the president has so much power that it nearly
kills the checks and balances function of our system, it's gettin to be
a regime. Not to mention Bush's use of his little "signing statements" as line item vetos basically circumvents any oversight the rubber stamp might try and execute anyway.....scary stuff....

Doesnt scare me. because I know, no matter what. He leaves in 2008. Nothing will change that. What scares me. What truly scares me is the thought of us pulling out of Iraq early and what could happen. If the Iraqi security forces cant handle it and we leave. I'll be scared. That and the welfare system.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 8:15pm
.ryan, why was this regime threat never an issue with both the house and senate,the court as well as the presidency in the hands and control of the Dems. I do remmmeber from history a president threatening to "stack the court" to get his desired responses and policy passed (FDR in 30's). The ramrodded "great society" legislation of the early 60's (Johnson)where no debate was allowed by the powers that be in the house and senate(the Dems).

There have been by your definition "regimes" in our past, not a unique event in american politics.

Wasn't there a movement to suspend the constitution to allow the possibility of Clinton running for third term, would that be considered the initial stages of a regime?

The more, dare I use the word, "Liberal" courts of Carter, Clinton appointees overrulings, where the "will" of the people, by democratic popular vote, of bills designed by lawyers, researched by lawyers, written by lawyers, reviewed by lawyers, but only upon its passage was the error in constitutionality found, curious.

You really need to look at the next contenders, we all need to move on, the Bush era is just about over, time to get over it and move on. We have no-one, you all have Hillary (bad move there) so what the next election cycle brings will determine the future.

Edited by oldsoldier - 02 November 2006 at 8:16pm
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 7:50pm
Well, the fact that we've had a rubber stamp congress and an ineffectual court  for the past 6 years may help with that definition.....When the president has so much power that it nearly kills the checks and balances function of our system, it's gettin to be a regime.

Not to mention Bush's use of his little "signing statements" as line item vetos basically circumvents any oversight the rubber stamp might try and execute anyway.....scary stuff....

Edited by .Ryan - 02 November 2006 at 7:59pm

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 7:43pm

Whoever that was waiting for some response to some "fact-filled" bit of trivia I can do one better.

How many forumers are there here that don't have a college education but do have stable work, don't live with mom, and don't cook french fries?

I would like to see how many options there are other than a college degree and Iraq. I know there are a few, but not many. I live in the Ohio rust belt and know for a fact that 250,000 people turned in their hardhats for blue "may I help you" aprons.

Kerry was right, deal with it. Your generation's options are bleak but you continue to support the regime making it bleaker. Say high to Al-Sadr for me!!

regime? since when does living in a republic mean we have a regime? in 2008. he leaves. he is done with being the President. no regime. never was. the only person to ever possibly have a regime in America was George Washington when it was proposed that he be king.
battlefreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote battlefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 7:25pm

Whoever that was waiting for some response to some "fact-filled" bit of trivia I can do one better.

I would like to see how many options there are other than a college degree and Iraq. I know there are a few, but not many. I live in the Ohio rust belt and know for a fact that 250,000 people turned in their hardhats for blue "may I help you" aprons.

not true there are many places that hire other then fast food and construction jobs, my sis is a manager at redlobster and gets payed 40 grand a year, my freind with no college degree is a diesel machanic he got all he knows from a tech school available through my high school and he recently turned down a job for 60 grand a year becsue it wasnt close to home.
goodsmitty View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Childish Insults 3/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 7:13pm

Edited by goodsmitty - 02 November 2006 at 7:14pm
"Reading this thread, I'm sad to say that the only difference between the average American and the average Taliban is economic status."
-Zesty

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

This will go on till Nov 08, if required, or needed. It is unfortunate that this is the state of American Politics today. Mr. Kerry needs to learn first lesson of public speaking, "ensure brain is on, before putting mouth into gear"

He should learn how to read. He looked at his script multiple times while reading that. and he still didnt get it right. unless thats what the script actually said.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 4:12pm
Better yet, Kerry should remember the First Law of Robotics.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 4:09pm
This will go on till Nov 08, if required, or needed. It is unfortunate that this is the state of American Politics today. Mr. Kerry needs to learn first lesson of public speaking, "ensure brain is on, before putting mouth into gear"
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 4:04pm

Originally posted by RicWhic414 RicWhic414 wrote:

Honestly none of this would be going on if he didnt apologize right after it happened... you can tell when people apologize a couple days later that someone had to tell him to apologize especially right after he said he wouldnt apologize

I don't think so.  Either side would have capitalized on this and kept it going until election day. 

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by pattison pattison wrote:

if he is implying that most military people are dumb, he is right.
there is, of course, a certain percentage that are not dumb, but it is below 50 without question.
political views aside, that is a valid statement.

I'm sure its been said in this thread already, but I'm not going to bother to check.

It was a slam aimed at bush, getting the US stuck in iraq. But as per usual, he screwed it up.
Can you honestly see Kerry pulling off a joke anyway? He has as much charisma as a slice of bologna. Not the good kind either, like the 98 cent chicken stuff.

I dont see anyone really pulling off that joke 100% cleanly even if they had worded it properly. There were so many other ways to imply that bush is dumb, but that just had potential for failure all over it.
I sometimes wonder if he is just a spy implanted from the GOP to screw the Democrats over.I bet he is a robot. Somewhere, John Ashcroft has a microphone for it.

what like manchurian candidate?
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

4.  Here's where we part ways.  Four year schools are still very much accessible to those who have always had access to them.  Scholarships, low interest college loans, and other financing options have only grown in recent years.  Do I think that the rise in college tuition is outpacing mean salary growth?  Yes.  Unattainable, no.  And there's always the GI bill...

Fair enough.  As I may have indicated, I don't have meaningful data to back up my points here, but my anecdotes differ from yours.  I know all too many people who were in the "middle" - too poor to pay, too rich for aid.  Similarly, my indirect experiences with the GI bill have been mixed at best.  ROTC seems to be working quite well, but I am not convinced that the GI bill helps that much - particularly with the rising cost of tuition.

But that is perhaps for a different discussion.  I was primarily expressing surprise at the high number of enrollees.  I shall now go and actually read the report.

:)

FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 3:49pm

Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

First, you'll be chagrined to know that the report only deals with recent high school graduates, not "housewives or retired folks" taking classes.

Chagrined indeed.  That's what I get for posting before reading.  Nevertheless, I will forge on, despite the risk of inserting my foot further into my mouth.

But I clearly did a poor job of stating my point.  Let me try again.

1.  Recent national statistics showed that the average income of college graduates is basically double that of a non-college HS grad.

2.  I propose, without supporting data, that similar statistics drilled down would show that the average income of college graduates from state schools or equivalent/better private schools is sharply different from the average income of graduates from community colleges and tech schools.  I can certainly state that the employment opportunities differ vastly between those two categories of schools.

3.  When people in general talk of going to college, they generally don't mean CC or tech school - "college" in common nomenclature means 4-year state school or better.

4.  I propose, without supporting data, that 4-year state colleges are not meaningfully accessible to most Americans, simply on the basis of economics.  Lumping CC/tech schools in with the data skews the data.

Maybe that makes more sense.

I don't think your point was lost, I'm just not agreeing with it ;)

1.  I should hope so

2.  I would agree.  A two year degree is for a different employment segment than a 4 year degree.  Exceptions certainly exist.  A two year medical degree (specifically nursing) will provide better opportunity (at least initially) than most 4 year degrees.

3.  I suppose I can agree to this, though I think it's much less so now, than say, 15 years ago.  Community college and 2 year programs continue to proliferate, so the term "college" is beggining to take on a much more generic meaning.

4.  Here's where we part ways.  Four year schools are still very much accessible to those who have always had access to them.  Scholarships, low interest college loans, and other financing options have only grown in recent years.  Do I think that the rise in college tuition is outpacing mean salary growth?  Yes.  Unattainable, no.  And there's always the GI bill...

Edited by FlimFlam - 02 November 2006 at 3:51pm

RicWhic414 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Bitter multiple time Ion-ownage victim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 3:34pm
Honestly none of this would be going on if he didnt apologize right after it happened... you can tell when people apologize a couple days later that someone had to tell him to apologize especially right after he said he wouldnt apologize
Tuesday starts the weekend... YAYAYA!!!!
CHUFF CHUFF
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 3:30pm

there is, of course, a certain percentage that are not dumb, but it is below 50 without question.

I'm sure its been said in this thread already, but I'm not going to bother to check.

It was a slam aimed at bush, getting the US stuck in iraq. But as per usual, he screwed it up.
Can you honestly see Kerry pulling off a joke anyway? He has as much charisma as a slice of bologna. Not the good kind either, like the 98 cent chicken stuff.

I dont see anyone really pulling off that joke 100% cleanly even if they had worded it properly. There were so many other ways to imply that bush is dumb, but that just had potential for failure all over it.
I sometimes wonder if he is just a spy implanted from the GOP to screw the Democrats over.I bet he is a robot. Somewhere, John Ashcroft has a microphone for it.

Well, when Al Gore was made, there was a 2 for 1 deal on robots, and out came Kerry
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 3:28pm

I sometimes wonder if he is just a spy implanted from the GOP to screw the Democrats over.

I bet he is a robot. Somewhere, John Ashcroft has a microphone for it.

Edited by Tae Kwon Do - 02 November 2006 at 3:28pm

choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 3:26pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic