Thank you Sen. Kerry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 9:13am
Phil: No point in arguing with ya man. Try reading the article with an open mind and then pm me. We're going off topic in this thread.

Anyway, on Kerry, did anyone hear his explanation? He said he was referring to the importance of being informed citizens and students of history so that their country doesn't get stuck in a place like Iraq. I don't know how genuine that is, but I do have trouble believing that a man who signed up and went into a war zone with his fellow troops is actually suggesting that our men and women in the US Military are stupid or uneducated.

Oh and I hate the term "anti-military"....I seriously can not think of anyone who is anti-military, except for that idiot church in Florida  and that one gothic lookin kid. Just because you oppose how they are being used or the amount of money that is going to them instead of programs that would help the US citizenry, they say you hate our troops....it's bullcrap.

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

They are the grunts going to Iraq. Like Mr. Kent said, John Kerry was not saying all soldiers are stupid. He was saying the same thing I am saying, he just worded it poorly. The chip on the shoulders of the forum-servicemen is astounding.

The arrogance of those individuals on the forum who have never served or have the intestinal fortatude to serve, as well as thier ingnorance on the military is even more astounding.

The spin mysters are doing thier usual great job, trying to defend a man who can "botch a joke", do we now make fun of his attempts at language, I figured with all the education he could master a simple joke. But we should have trusted him with the language of international diplomacy......can't have it both ways.

Edited by oldsoldier - 01 November 2006 at 9:30am
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 8:53am

I do think there are a lot of stupid people who have no other means but to join the military, and not as officers. They are the grunts going to Iraq.

Ah. So it comes out. Being a grunt makes one stupid. So I am stupid. Because I scored relatively high on the ASVAB. Yet I chose Infantry. I'm a rifleman. Puts me right on the frontlines and makes me dumb.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 12:01am

Its like you know me too well Clark.

Stalker. Duh.

I may chip in on this sometime tomorrow if I feel like it...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 11:29pm
Its like you know me too well Clark.

That is what I was saying. People who do not have the grades or money to go to any college (community or not) have one or two options. Get low paying manual labor job, or join the military. Most of my friends back home who could not get into college just joined the Navy or Airforce (for some reason those two recruit down here like crazy).

Recruiters can be found more often in poor neighborhoods, and in poorer performing schools. There is a reason for that.

I am not saying that everyone in the military is stupid. Someone from my school got a 36 (That is perfect) on his ACT and got a full ride to the Airforce Academy. Yes, he took it. I do not think he is stupid.

I do think there are a lot of stupid people who have no other means but to join the military, and not as officers. They are the grunts going to Iraq.

Like Mr. Kent said, John Kerry was not saying all soldiers are stupid. He was saying the same thing I am saying, he just worded it poorly.

The chip on the shoulders of the forum-servicemen is astounding.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 11:16pm

Originally posted by Ken Majors Ken Majors wrote:

I agree with what he said.

The most disrespectful statement I have witnessed on this forum thus far.

You must not come here often.

More to the point, if you read the entire thread slowly, you would have seen that all TKD was saying is that the military is often the employer of last resort (true).  TKD interpreted Kerry's statement to say that "if you don't stay in school, you will be in need of an employer of last resort".  Basically a stay-in-school-rah-rah speech, albeit poorly stated.

Pretty obvious, really.  It would almost require intentional blindness to arrive at any other conclusion.  To take this as an attack on the military is idiotic.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Ken Majors Ken Majors wrote:

Pity.

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 10:40pm
finally hearing about this, it irks me.  My mother, father, brother have all been in.  My father spent 22 yeras, my mother 4 (got preggo) and my brother is in now.  My mother and father had college degrees, and my brother is in the process of doing green to gold.  That just pisses the hell out of me, not only because he said it, but because it's completely wrong.  A good family friend is over there right now, and he happened to be an A student.   Why, Senator Kerry, why?

[/rant]
Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 10:25pm

Edited by Ken Majors - 31 October 2006 at 10:25pm
RLTW
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

I guess there arent any officers in Iraq, just chock full of sergeants? K, gotcha.

NCO's are pretty smart too dont forget. I had a Staff Sergeant that had a Masters. He didnt want to be an officer. He liked being a Grunt. I had a Sergeant who was in the process of getting his masters.
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 8:42pm
I guess there arent any officers in Iraq, just chock full of sergeants? K, gotcha.
phillll227 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillll227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

Originally posted by phillll227 phillll227 wrote:

Still wish he would have won by a bigger margin though.....

????
Yeah, he got screwed out of Ohio and the presidency....if he would have won by a little more they may not have been able to steal it....

I think if there was a list of unbiased news sources, Rolling Stone would probably be second to last, only ahead of Al-Jazeera.
Oh for christ's sake....just read it. It's all backed up and sited.....

No, that argument is not valid. Just because something is cited does not make it fact. I think that you are blind to the bias in that article because you want it to be true. The Rolling Stone article might as well be an editorial.

One search in Google will find a hundred rebuttals.

If you want to talk argument validity, your committing the "ad hominem" big time right now. Just because it's from a source that is labeled "liberal" doesn't mean the article is any less factual. Did ya read it yet?Oh and a quick search on Google will find thousands of rebuttals on anything you want....means nothing.

Do you honestly believe that if President Bush "stole" the election the national media would let it slip by for one second? DO you have any idea how big the cover up would be? This is almost as ridiculous as the people that believe that President Bush is directly responsible for 9/11.

Rolling Stone is not a source that I trust to be fair and balanced when it comes to a Republican President. Period.

Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 8:03pm

Kerry screwed up.  Hope it doesn't cost my team too much.  I'm guessing there are very few people this late in the game who can be swayed one way or the other.  People's minds are made up.  Besides, if your patriotismo gets all in a bind over what Kerry said, you should still be stinging over President Bush jokingly looking under desks and rugs for W.M.D.'s during the national press correspondents dinner. 

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 7:40pm
Have no idea why he would put foot in mouth like this 1 week before elections. Just activated the military vote, not a good thing for dems.

It does go with a recent series of statements from the left. I do remmember the only the poor and uneducated join the military statements of a few months ago.

The spin mysters are on it, it will go away here soon, as Kerry tap dances over someone elses political career.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 7:34pm
Glad we cleared that up. 

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 7:31pm

Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

Answer that question. Do you believe he is saying you are lacking intelligence if you serve in the military?
No.

Thank you for the answer.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 7:30pm

Answer that question. Do you believe he is saying you are lacking intelligence if you serve in the military?

No.

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 7:28pm

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

What who said?
Senator Kerry.

So you think. If people do bad in school, they have no choice but to go to Iraq because they arent smart enough for anything else?
I think the military is a popular option by people who do not have many other choices, yes.

Thats not the question. Thats not what Kerry said. He said: "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. And if you don't, you get stuck in Iraq". Thats not about options. Thats about being intelligent and doing well in school. Answer that question. Do you believe he is saying you are lacking intelligence if you serve in the military?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

What who said?

Pfft. You must not konw very much if you can't realize what he means.

I wasn't sure if he was referring to Sen. Kerry's statement or one of the other off topic arguments occurring afterwards. Oh, by the way, it's spelled "know", not "konw".
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 7:18pm

Still wish he would have won by a bigger margin though.....

????
Yeah, he got screwed out of Ohio and the presidency....if he would have won by a little more they may not have been able to steal it....

I think if there was a list of unbiased news sources, Rolling Stone would probably be second to last, only ahead of Al-Jazeera.
Oh for christ's sake....just read it. It's all backed up and sited.....

No, that argument is not valid. Just because something is cited does not make it fact. I think that you are blind to the bias in that article because you want it to be true. The Rolling Stone article might as well be an editorial.

One search in Google will find a hundred rebuttals.

If you want to talk argument validity, your committing the "ad hominem" big time right now. Just because it's from a source that is labeled "liberal" doesn't mean the article is any less factual. Did ya read it yet?

Oh and a quick search on Google will find thousands of rebuttals on anything you want....means nothing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic