FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thank you Sen. Kerry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sporx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sporx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 11:58am
I'll be honest. I didn't even read this thread. This may have already been
said... but he made a dry joke and now it's being blown out of porportion.
That's all.

If someone has said that already...then sorry to repeat.
RicWhic414 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Bitter multiple time Ion-ownage victim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 11:47am
I know that is true anywhere. Sen. Kerry had no reason to say what he said, I bet this is not his election time, (like his is not being voted for this year I believe he has 4 more years) Anyways I can see where his statement came from but he is stupid for saying it
Tuesday starts the weekend... YAYAYA!!!!
CHUFF CHUFF
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 11:29am
There are those college educated who prefere to be in the enlisted ranks. It is a matter of choice, lead or be lead, education does not necesarily make a leader. And that fact is true in the military as well as in the bussiness world.

Edited by oldsoldier - 01 November 2006 at 11:30am
RicWhic414 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Bitter multiple time Ion-ownage victim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 11:24am
wouldnt you say that most "higher educated people" go to college to become officers if they want to be in the armed services. I have nothing against people that come right out of high school and inlist, my unlce did it and I have more respect for that man then anyone else on this planet. All im saying the army will take anyone no matter there backround and can turn them into great people, some dont turn out right and thats why they are told to leave or just quit
Tuesday starts the weekend... YAYAYA!!!!
CHUFF CHUFF
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 11:17am
Actually the reverse is generally true. The higher educated and skilled re-enlist for second terms to complete training in desired skill fields or college. The usual entitlement mentality, future paper hat, name tag wearing individuals leave after first enlistments, not thinking long term.

Edited by oldsoldier - 01 November 2006 at 11:18am
pattison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 11:12am
disclaimer: generalizations follow
having spent some time in you must have seen plenty of exactly the people we have been referring to.
the military, with it's unwillingness to fire people, manages to take in the people who fail at life, and couldn't handle a deep fryer at mcdonald's
these people stay (the smarter ones leave after 1 term) and become leaders of hundreds
Eat The Brisket
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:52am
TKD I joined the military (initially after the request by the NYC Courts) and yet re-enlisted and continued in the military probably for the same reason or reasons you are in college and persuing your personal goals and career aspirations. I liked what I did, It was the best of times, yet the worst of times. Being a "Grunt" was fun. Why do you play paintball, a "wargame" a contridiction in belief system if you ask me

A simple disclaimer of social responsibility of military: 99.9 percent of the enlisted forces have at least a high school education, and 73.3 percent have been to college. Compare to your social standard "poor" community.

It is my sense of duty and honor, that even carries on today. As an example I can easily stay home, rest and recoup as per DR's orders, but I contacted my Diversity professor, and I will be there, braces and crutches, for the class debate on Friday, for there are three other students on my debate "team" that I will not let down, nor expect to carry my load in my absense.

I readily admit that I am not well edumacated in "high english" and do make the usual and frequent two fingered fast typing errors. (plus today the percocet isn't helping still some pain involved).

Actually recruiters can be found everywhere, in rich communities, poor, college campuses (those without the prejudice)and yes even in the poor communities. ROTC and Reserve and NG enlistments are up, yes for college assistance, why is it so expensive to be "trained" as a liberal, yet the military pays you to be "trained" as an American.

Edited by oldsoldier - 01 November 2006 at 11:15am
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

I read what you said. You said. The dumb ones are the grunts going to Iraq. Plain and simple.

Hahaha...Apparently you did not read it then. You should take the blindfold off first, it would help the situation.

Not all grunts going to Iraq are dumb. But if a kid who did not have the grades to get into college joins up on the dirt bottom, I have a feeling where he is going to be going.

Recruiters go to poor areas and schools for a reason.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:39am

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Tell us, oh noble OS, why did you join the military again?

ruh-roh

grr - bumped myself.  stupid triple-posting.

Edited by Clark Kent - 01 November 2006 at 10:39am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:38am

Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

I find that many current/ex-military folks seem to think that because you haven't done what they have done or seen what they have seen that you don't have a right to an opinion on military matters. Displaying such an opinion is perceived as arrogance.....

I am aware of that.  But that's the thing - Whale ISN'T making a statement about military matters.  He is making a statement about civilian employment opportunities.

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:38am
lol.....Kris, seriously?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:37am

I read what you said. You said. The dumb ones are the grunts going to Iraq. Plain and simple.

Judging by this post, it is apparently true in your case.

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:35am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:35am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

The arrogance of those individuals on the forum who have never served or have the intestinal fortatude to serve, as well as thier ingnorance on the military is even more astounding.

Misspelling ignorance, mmm delicious irony.

The shoulder-chip must be getting pretty heavy to pull the "Well you are just not brave enough to serve, therefore, your opinion counts for nothing" card.

Like I said previous to this, if you are bound and determined to be insulted by what I am saying, then there is not a thing I can do.
Let me re-state once again. When people do not have many options left, can not get into an institution of higher learning, and do not want to work a minimum wage job, what do they do? They join the military.

Tell us, oh noble OS, why did you join the military again?

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

They are the grunts going to Iraq. Like Mr. Kent said, John Kerry was not saying all soldiers are stupid. He was saying the same thing I am saying, he just worded it poorly. The chip on the shoulders of the forum-servicemen is astounding.

The arrogance of those individuals on the forum who have never served or have the intestinal fortatude to serve, as well as thier ingnorance on the military is even more astounding.

How is this arrogant?  Whale is making a very straightforward observation about the military.

There is no rational way to take this as an insult.

I find that many current/ex-military folks seem to think that because you haven't done what they have done or seen what they have seen that you don't have a right to an opinion on military matters. Displaying such an opinion is perceived as arrogance.....

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:30am

I do think there are a lot of stupid people who have no other means but to join the military, and not as officers. They are the grunts going to Iraq.

Ah. So it comes out. Being a grunt makes one stupid. So I am stupid. Because I scored relatively high on the ASVAB. Yet I chose Infantry. I'm a rifleman. Puts me right on the frontlines and makes me dumb.

I cannot feel sorry for you if you are bound and determined to be insulted by anything I say.

Read what I said. Thank you, come again.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:14am
That in itself is the problem for many who never served. From the current slant in the news, the trend is to doubt any statement no matter how percieved at the moment, by those who have shown no love for the military in the past. His past references as well as testimony as to the VN vet as a "war criminal" besmerching(sp) the reputation of another generation has made many question his actual motive or intent.

I personally am not insulted by the remark, I consider the source, based on above. The perceptions of youth here on the initial comment and spin leads me to question the standards they see themselves upholding.

Edited by oldsoldier - 01 November 2006 at 10:28am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:08am

They are the grunts going to Iraq. Like Mr. Kent said, John Kerry was not saying all soldiers are stupid. He was saying the same thing I am saying, he just worded it poorly. The chip on the shoulders of the forum-servicemen is astounding.

How is this arrogant?  Whale is making a very straightforward observation about the military.

There is no rational way to take this as an insult.

Originally posted by OS OS wrote:

The spin mysters are doing thier usual great job, trying to defend a man who can "botch a joke", do we now make fun of his attempts at language, I figured with all the education he could master a simple joke. But we should have trusted him with the language of international diplomacy......can't have it both ways.

If you are referring to the professional spinners, then clearly I agree - their function is to spin any news item to the favor of their party, all rationality aside.

But I do not recall ANY of the people in this thread being Kerry supporters - in 2004 or now - and we certainly do not consider Kerry a master of language.  "Would that it were" is almost a bad for the English language as "nucular".

Here's my short summary of the situation:

1.  Kerry made what was obviously a joke/snide observation about recruiting reality, and an encouragement to stay in school.

2.  The statement was somewhat politically incorrect, but obviously not meant as an insult to anybody in particular.

3.  The GOP has spun this on its head.  Not surprising - that's their job.  Whatever.

4.  Various military folks with grenades up their butts are determined to be insulted by this, despite the obvious non-insulting nature of the statements in question.

5.  The reason for 4 is ... I'm drawing a blank on that one. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 9:57am

I do think there are a lot of stupid people who have no other means but to join the military, and not as officers. They are the grunts going to Iraq.

Ah. So it comes out. Being a grunt makes one stupid. So I am stupid. Because I scored relatively high on the ASVAB. Yet I chose Infantry. I'm a rifleman. Puts me right on the frontlines and makes me dumb.

I swear - you can't possibly be that dumb.  You must be misunderstanding this on purpose.  Please tell me you are misunderstanding this on purpose.

Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 9:52am
I think Kerry must be satisfied at his current role in govn't. With those comments we wont be making any new friends.

Democrats = 

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic