Thank you Sen. Kerry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 4:56pm
all seriousness now. i was playing devils advocate before. What he said was wrong and inappropriate. If he hadnt said worse before I'd be more offended. I know it is inevitable for me to go to Iraq. So to me. Its him calling me dumb. As a Senator who represents my state. It makes us look even worse. Especially when the President said "That senator from Massachusetts".
Then you need to think. Who said the comment. Senator John Kerry. Couldnt expect anything else from him. no sense in being offended. So I've decided. No reason to take offense when he says it. He is a fool to begin with. But he should apologize and say whatever he had ment to say if he had ment to say something else.
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 4:46pm

Wow, smell the testosterone.  All of this patriotchismo just makes me want to re-enlist so I can wear crappy armor, drive a humvee into places where M1 Abrams are getting blown onto their tops and know while I'm caught in a civil war between about a hundred different tribal factions, some lunkhead at home is mad at the Dixie Chicks while sporting a yellow magnet ribbon on his car and getting all bent out of shape over something like this. 

And as for those of you vets who want to hate on TKD for his opinion and want to get all morally superior about how you with your military service cloaked in its heavenly backlighting somehow gives him the right to speak crack me up. 

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:50pm

Agreed - not particularly funny either way.

But this is John Kerry we are talking about, after all.

RicWhic414 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Bitter multiple time Ion-ownage victim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:49pm
I don't see how either of them are funny, I guess Im not educated 
Tuesday starts the weekend... YAYAYA!!!!
CHUFF CHUFF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:48pm

That's what Kerry said on Imus too - he forgot to say "us".

Not sure I buy it. 

But I still don't see how any version of this statement can be twisted into an attack on the military.  That just makes no sense.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:39pm
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/01/kerry.remarks/index.h tml

He said: "You know, education -- if you make the most of it, you study hard and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well.

"If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

A Kerry aide said the senator was supposed to say, "I can't overstress the importance of a great education. Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq."

Edited by RicWhic414 - 01 November 2006 at 3:41pm
CHUFF CHUFF
FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Right. The other debate using misrepresented and misinterpreted statements suck as well. "But others do it" = Not a good excuse.

You know good and well what he intended, but would rather not admidt to it.

Not "others", YOU.  Just playing by the rules you play by.

And no, I DON'T know what he intended.  I think he said what he intended.  I think if we were not in an election cycle, no apology would have been issued.  Kerry just screwed up by opening his mouth during the biggest Democratic quiet periord so far this year.  I GUARANTEE the apology was not his idea...

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:25pm
he said he wasn't going to apologies, because it was a "joke" at the pres
CHUFF CHUFF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:24pm

Originally posted by RicWhic414 RicWhic414 wrote:

he said he was making a joke at the pres. i dont know if any of you have heard what he said but it doesnt really sound like a joke at the pres. to me... I think he should re-run for pres.

Kerry is a tool and is now trying to cover himself any way he can.  I don't believe any of his "apologies" or explanations any more than I believe the GOP spin on the issue.

Edited by Clark Kent - 01 November 2006 at 3:26pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:23pm
he said he was making a joke at the pres. i dont know if any of you have heard what he said but it doesnt really sound like a joke at the pres. to me... I think he should re-run for pres.
CHUFF CHUFF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:20pm

how is that wow you cant not say anything bad about the armed services in this country and not be hated... so wow

I just had a conversation with a friend of mine where this came up.

His theory - there are some things that you are just not allowed to be critical about, not even a little bit.  These include, but are not limited to:

- 9/11 Firefighters

- Rosa Parks

- The US military

His reason for why this is?  He theorizes that there is just enough truth in those criticisms to make us cringe.  Society doesn't like to think that it is disproportionately sending its poor and uneducated off to die, so instead we make unassailable heroes out of them.  Kind of a defense mechanism.

Interesting theory, I think.

Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

That's an either or quote there.  Please show me where the third option is in there...

I will let you show me where the words 'either' and 'or' were used in the quote first.

And don't play me this crap about what he meant, or intended.  There's plenty of debate on this forum about other misrepresented, misinterpreted, taken out of context and outright false quotes of political leaders on both sides.

Right. The other debate using misrepresented and misinterpreted statements suck as well. "But others do it" = Not a good excuse.

You know good and well what he intended, but would rather not admidt to it.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:11pm
good god your so smart

Anyways john kerry completely screwed the democratic party.
I can see the momentum changing hands, all he had to do was shut his mouth
CHUFF CHUFF
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

It's simply amazing how stupid some of you are being about this.

Agreed.  Do you have any real thoughts to add to this, or are you just going to coattail on the REAL debaters in this thread?

I'll coattail, because everything that has needed to have been said has been said. I was expressing my feelings on how people like the person I quoted can feel the way they do after explanation after explanation has been given to them.
FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:09pm

Feel good story, but not much to do with the quote at hand.

Once again, he was not saying all people in the military are dumb. He just did not do it. To think that he did takes some hardcore blinders.

I'm sorry, I don't follow.  Let me quote it again, in case you missed it the first time:

Originally posted by John Kerry John Kerry wrote:

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. And if you don't, you get stuck in Iraq"

That's an either or quote there.  Please show me where the third option is in there...

And don't play me this crap about what he meant, or intended.  There's plenty of debate on this forum about other misrepresented, misinterpreted, taken out of context and outright false quotes of political leaders on both sides.

His quote was elitist, condescending, and just plain ugly.  It's what I expect from most politicians, right or left.

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:06pm

sorry TKD i was just typing fast but good job looking passed what I said and just going to the grammar because I forgot this is a English class

Past*

zing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:05pm

sorry TKD i was just typing fast but good job looking passed what I said and just going to the grammar because I forgot this is a English class

Past*

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:04pm
CHUFF CHUFF
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:03pm

Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

I find that many current/ex-military folks seem to think that because you haven't done what they have done or seen what they have seen that you don't have a right to an opinion on military matters. Displaying such an opinion is perceived as arrogance.....

That's definitely true, but for the most part, unless you're familiar with the life, you really can't say too many things.  But there are certain matters that a civilian can have an opinion to.

Example- my journalism teacher talked about how the journalists in iraq were having just as much to worry about and were feeling the same things as solderis.  I flipped out, there's no way you can compare a journalist to a soldier, there just isn't.  Prime example being that the enemy isn't specifically targeting journalists embedded in a unit. If you'd like to argue that they're just as big a target, then give them the same gear as our soldiers.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:00pm

cant not

What grade do you learn about double negatives? I think it was somewhere around 4th-5th.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic