Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thank you Sen. Kerry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

I agree with what he said.

The most disrespectful statement I have witnessed on this forum thus far.

Edited by Ken Majors - 31 October 2006 at 10:25pm
RLTW
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 10:40pm
finally hearing about this, it irks me.  My mother, father, brother have all been in.  My father spent 22 yeras, my mother 4 (got preggo) and my brother is in now.  My mother and father had college degrees, and my brother is in the process of doing green to gold.  That just pisses the hell out of me, not only because he said it, but because it's completely wrong.  A good family friend is over there right now, and he happened to be an A student.   Why, Senator Kerry, why?

[/rant]
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Ken Majors Ken Majors wrote:

Pity.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 11:16pm

Originally posted by Ken Majors Ken Majors wrote:

You must not come here often.

More to the point, if you read the entire thread slowly, you would have seen that all TKD was saying is that the military is often the employer of last resort (true).  TKD interpreted Kerry's statement to say that "if you don't stay in school, you will be in need of an employer of last resort".  Basically a stay-in-school-rah-rah speech, albeit poorly stated.

Pretty obvious, really.  It would almost require intentional blindness to arrive at any other conclusion.  To take this as an attack on the military is idiotic.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 11:29pm
Its like you know me too well Clark.

That is what I was saying. People who do not have the grades or money to go to any college (community or not) have one or two options. Get low paying manual labor job, or join the military. Most of my friends back home who could not get into college just joined the Navy or Airforce (for some reason those two recruit down here like crazy).

Recruiters can be found more often in poor neighborhoods, and in poorer performing schools. There is a reason for that.

I am not saying that everyone in the military is stupid. Someone from my school got a 36 (That is perfect) on his ACT and got a full ride to the Airforce Academy. Yes, he took it. I do not think he is stupid.

I do think there are a lot of stupid people who have no other means but to join the military, and not as officers. They are the grunts going to Iraq.

Like Mr. Kent said, John Kerry was not saying all soldiers are stupid. He was saying the same thing I am saying, he just worded it poorly.

The chip on the shoulders of the forum-servicemen is astounding.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 12:01am

Its like you know me too well Clark.

Stalker. Duh.

I may chip in on this sometime tomorrow if I feel like it...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 8:53am

I do think there are a lot of stupid people who have no other means but to join the military, and not as officers. They are the grunts going to Iraq.

Ah. So it comes out. Being a grunt makes one stupid. So I am stupid. Because I scored relatively high on the ASVAB. Yet I chose Infantry. I'm a rifleman. Puts me right on the frontlines and makes me dumb.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 8:54am

They are the grunts going to Iraq. Like Mr. Kent said, John Kerry was not saying all soldiers are stupid. He was saying the same thing I am saying, he just worded it poorly. The chip on the shoulders of the forum-servicemen is astounding.

The arrogance of those individuals on the forum who have never served or have the intestinal fortatude to serve, as well as thier ingnorance on the military is even more astounding.

The spin mysters are doing thier usual great job, trying to defend a man who can "botch a joke", do we now make fun of his attempts at language, I figured with all the education he could master a simple joke. But we should have trusted him with the language of international diplomacy......can't have it both ways.

Edited by oldsoldier - 01 November 2006 at 9:30am
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 9:13am
Phil: No point in arguing with ya man. Try reading the article with an open mind and then pm me. We're going off topic in this thread.

Anyway, on Kerry, did anyone hear his explanation? He said he was referring to the importance of being informed citizens and students of history so that their country doesn't get stuck in a place like Iraq. I don't know how genuine that is, but I do have trouble believing that a man who signed up and went into a war zone with his fellow troops is actually suggesting that our men and women in the US Military are stupid or uneducated.

Oh and I hate the term "anti-military"....I seriously can not think of anyone who is anti-military, except for that idiot church in Florida  and that one gothic lookin kid. Just because you oppose how they are being used or the amount of money that is going to them instead of programs that would help the US citizenry, they say you hate our troops....it's bullcrap.

Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 9:52am
I think Kerry must be satisfied at his current role in govn't. With those comments we wont be making any new friends.

Democrats = 

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 9:57am

Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

Ah. So it comes out. Being a grunt makes one stupid. So I am stupid. Because I scored relatively high on the ASVAB. Yet I chose Infantry. I'm a rifleman. Puts me right on the frontlines and makes me dumb.

I swear - you can't possibly be that dumb.  You must be misunderstanding this on purpose.  Please tell me you are misunderstanding this on purpose.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:08am

Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

They are the grunts going to Iraq. Like Mr. Kent said, John Kerry was not saying all soldiers are stupid. He was saying the same thing I am saying, he just worded it poorly. The chip on the shoulders of the forum-servicemen is astounding.

The arrogance of those individuals on the forum who have never served or have the intestinal fortatude to serve, as well as thier ingnorance on the military is even more astounding.

How is this arrogant?  Whale is making a very straightforward observation about the military.

There is no rational way to take this as an insult.

Originally posted by OS OS wrote:

The spin mysters are doing thier usual great job, trying to defend a man who can "botch a joke", do we now make fun of his attempts at language, I figured with all the education he could master a simple joke. But we should have trusted him with the language of international diplomacy......can't have it both ways.

If you are referring to the professional spinners, then clearly I agree - their function is to spin any news item to the favor of their party, all rationality aside.

But I do not recall ANY of the people in this thread being Kerry supporters - in 2004 or now - and we certainly do not consider Kerry a master of language.  "Would that it were" is almost a bad for the English language as "nucular".

Here's my short summary of the situation:

1.  Kerry made what was obviously a joke/snide observation about recruiting reality, and an encouragement to stay in school.

2.  The statement was somewhat politically incorrect, but obviously not meant as an insult to anybody in particular.

3.  The GOP has spun this on its head.  Not surprising - that's their job.  Whatever.

4.  Various military folks with grenades up their butts are determined to be insulted by this, despite the obvious non-insulting nature of the statements in question.

5.  The reason for 4 is ... I'm drawing a blank on that one. 

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:14am
That in itself is the problem for many who never served. From the current slant in the news, the trend is to doubt any statement no matter how percieved at the moment, by those who have shown no love for the military in the past. His past references as well as testimony as to the VN vet as a "war criminal" besmerching(sp) the reputation of another generation has made many question his actual motive or intent.

I personally am not insulted by the remark, I consider the source, based on above. The perceptions of youth here on the initial comment and spin leads me to question the standards they see themselves upholding.

Edited by oldsoldier - 01 November 2006 at 10:28am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:30am

I cannot feel sorry for you if you are bound and determined to be insulted by anything I say.

Read what I said. Thank you, come again.

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

How is this arrogant?  Whale is making a very straightforward observation about the military.

There is no rational way to take this as an insult.

I find that many current/ex-military folks seem to think that because you haven't done what they have done or seen what they have seen that you don't have a right to an opinion on military matters. Displaying such an opinion is perceived as arrogance.....

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:35am

Misspelling ignorance, mmm delicious irony.

The shoulder-chip must be getting pretty heavy to pull the "Well you are just not brave enough to serve, therefore, your opinion counts for nothing" card.

Like I said previous to this, if you are bound and determined to be insulted by what I am saying, then there is not a thing I can do.
Let me re-state once again. When people do not have many options left, can not get into an institution of higher learning, and do not want to work a minimum wage job, what do they do? They join the military.

Tell us, oh noble OS, why did you join the military again?

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:35am
I read what you said. You said. The dumb ones are the grunts going to Iraq. Plain and simple.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:37am

I read what you said. You said. The dumb ones are the grunts going to Iraq. Plain and simple.

Judging by this post, it is apparently true in your case.

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:38am
lol.....Kris, seriously?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 10:38am

Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

I find that many current/ex-military folks seem to think that because you haven't done what they have done or seen what they have seen that you don't have a right to an opinion on military matters. Displaying such an opinion is perceived as arrogance.....

I am aware of that.  But that's the thing - Whale ISN'T making a statement about military matters.  He is making a statement about civilian employment opportunities.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic