Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thank you Sen. Kerry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Ken Majors Ken Majors wrote:

I cannot possibly begin to understand the advanced cognitive abilities of such reasoning, but,I am just a dumb enlisted guy with no other options in life. So what would I know?

The more and more I read replies to WHALE's posts, the more I agree with the wrong conclusion you people are coming to.

It's simply amazing how stupid some of you are being about this.
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 1:43pm
They are coming out of the wood-works now.

Originally posted by Ken Majors Ken Majors wrote:

The condescending attitude, disrespectful tone and matter of fact nature of TKDs post is what set me off.

If this is not chip-on-shoulder I do not know what is

Honestly now. How was this condescending and disrespectful?

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

I agree with what he said.

Originally posted by Paranoid Paranoid wrote:

I read alot of garbage about how soldiers give their lives so that people like TKD can spew their filth, protecting their "freedoms" and such....
Yet, TKD agrees with the Senator from Massachusetts.
I cannot possibly begin to understand the advanced cognitive abilities of such reasoning, but,I am just a dumb enlisted guy with no other options in life. So what would I know?

Boo-Hoo.

Same old "face down in the muck" speech and attempted guilt trip because I did not join the armed forces. Watch me cry.

I will say it again, for about the 70th time this thread. Heck I will even make the font bigger.

The military is a last ditch for people not smart enough to get into college who do not want to work low paying jobs. Not everyone in the armed forces is like that, but it does exist in large numbers. That is what I am saying, that is what John Kerry was saying.

If my "filth spewing" upsets you, tough.

Edited by Tae Kwon Do - 01 November 2006 at 1:45pm

thebuickguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebuickguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 1:47pm
Well if you think about it their is some uderlying truth to what he said if your not in college you will not get a decent job now adays in america we have hardly any old fashion middle class factory jobs anymore so whats left for the high school grad well theirs flipping burgers for minium wage or the military not saying that military personal are dumb but they just cant get a job in america thats worth it 
Tippmann A-5 SAW stock E grip
J&J Ceramic APEX tip
Spyder AMG J&J Ceramic
Tippmann 68 Carbine J&J Ceramic APEX tip
Tippmann Prolite
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 1:50pm

The military is a last ditch for people not smart enough to get into college who do not want to work low paying jobs. Not everyone in the armed forces is like that, but it does exist in large numbers. That is what I am saying, that is what John Kerry was saying.

Let's delve further into this, shall we?

Not smart enough does not equate to stupid. It means not smart enough to graduate with enough honors or distinctions to get a scholarship, be it to any college, or simply the college of their choice.

There is no condescension in that part of the post, and there is truth behind it.
RicWhic414 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Bitter multiple time Ion-ownage victim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 1:59pm
All I know is John Kerry is now hated by most people in the US. And I wouldn't say that the armed services are a last ditch for dump people, I'm not sure what would be a last ditch but I know if I was uneducated I still wouldn't go into the armed services.
Tuesday starts the weekend... YAYAYA!!!!
CHUFF CHUFF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 2:44pm

Originally posted by RicWhic414 RicWhic414 wrote:

All I know is John Kerry is now hated by most people in the US.

Wow...Just...Wow...

FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 2:54pm

Like a moth to a flame...

Maybe it's time we look at the original quote again:

Originally posted by John Kerry John Kerry wrote:

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. And if you don't, you get stuck in Iraq"

I don't see a lot of room for interpretation here.  "Make an effort to be smart?"  Wasn't aware that it was an effort based trait...

So what am I missing here?  Regardless of the "intended" joke or meaning, seems to me that Kerry said exactly what he meant to say.  In fact, he held a press conference shortly after to "defend" his commentary, challenging that Bush should be the one to apologize.

Of my 10 closest friends, 7 of them served in the military.  I did not, I was in college for the first Gulf War while four of them were dumping sand out of of their underwear and hoping that Iraqi artillery shells didn't land on their heads during the night.  One was busy getting no sleep between SCUD missile attacks in Riyhad.  One was getting his ass shot at in Panama while I was in 7th grade.  These guys made the most of their educations, they studied hard, they did their homework, and "made an effort to be smart", whatever the hell that means.   Circumstances found each of them in the military for different reasons, none of which fit the criteria of the above quote. 

Of the 7 I know, 5 of them now have educations from institutions of higher learning.  The two that do not are family men with good jobs, wives, kids, mortgage, the whole American dream.  Far from those who " didn't make the most of their educations, those who didn't study hard, those who didn't do their homework, or "make an effort to be smart".  Does the military employ these kinds of folks?  Sure.  So does every other company in the world.  In contrast to Senator Kerry's elitist remark, the military is not primarily made up of those who could do no better.

And that's what we're talking about here.  What Senator Kerry said.  And, as far is THIS guy is concerned, his remarks were pretty crystal clear.  And when TKD blanketly says "I agree with what he said" he was agreeing with what many of us took to be a condescending, elitist, uniformed, ugly remark about our men and women in uniform.  Regardless of what TKD THOUGHT he was agreeing with, or INTENDED to agree with, from my standpoint, he came off as elitist as John Kerry.

And Clark, your insistence that anyone hearing an insult in Kerry's remark is somehow mentally deficient, is just baffling.  Apparently it was bad enough to get the Democratic handlers to get Kerry to apologize...

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Agreed.  Do you have any real thoughts to add to this, or are you just going to coattail on the REAL debaters in this thread?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 2:57pm
how is that wow you cant not say anything bad about the armed services in this country and not be hated... so wow
CHUFF CHUFF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 2:58pm

Flim, those people you mentioned, good for them.

They are not the ones Kerry is talking about. Feel good story, but not much to do with the quote at hand.

Once again, he was not saying all people in the military are dumb. He just did not do it. To think that he did takes some hardcore blinders.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:00pm

cant not

What grade do you learn about double negatives? I think it was somewhere around 4th-5th.

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:03pm

Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

I find that many current/ex-military folks seem to think that because you haven't done what they have done or seen what they have seen that you don't have a right to an opinion on military matters. Displaying such an opinion is perceived as arrogance.....

That's definitely true, but for the most part, unless you're familiar with the life, you really can't say too many things.  But there are certain matters that a civilian can have an opinion to.

Example- my journalism teacher talked about how the journalists in iraq were having just as much to worry about and were feeling the same things as solderis.  I flipped out, there's no way you can compare a journalist to a soldier, there just isn't.  Prime example being that the enemy isn't specifically targeting journalists embedded in a unit. If you'd like to argue that they're just as big a target, then give them the same gear as our soldiers.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:04pm
sorry TKD i was just typing fast but good job looking passed what I said and just going to the grammar because I forgot this is a English class
CHUFF CHUFF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:05pm

sorry TKD i was just typing fast but good job looking passed what I said and just going to the grammar because I forgot this is a English class

Past*

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:06pm

Past*

zing
FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:09pm

Feel good story, but not much to do with the quote at hand.

Once again, he was not saying all people in the military are dumb. He just did not do it. To think that he did takes some hardcore blinders.

I'm sorry, I don't follow.  Let me quote it again, in case you missed it the first time:

Originally posted by John Kerry John Kerry wrote:

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. And if you don't, you get stuck in Iraq"

That's an either or quote there.  Please show me where the third option is in there...

And don't play me this crap about what he meant, or intended.  There's plenty of debate on this forum about other misrepresented, misinterpreted, taken out of context and outright false quotes of political leaders on both sides.

His quote was elitist, condescending, and just plain ugly.  It's what I expect from most politicians, right or left.

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Agreed.  Do you have any real thoughts to add to this, or are you just going to coattail on the REAL debaters in this thread?

I'll coattail, because everything that has needed to have been said has been said. I was expressing my feelings on how people like the person I quoted can feel the way they do after explanation after explanation has been given to them.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:11pm
good god your so smart

Anyways john kerry completely screwed the democratic party.
I can see the momentum changing hands, all he had to do was shut his mouth
CHUFF CHUFF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by FlimFlam FlimFlam wrote:

That's an either or quote there.  Please show me where the third option is in there...

I will let you show me where the words 'either' and 'or' were used in the quote first.

And don't play me this crap about what he meant, or intended.  There's plenty of debate on this forum about other misrepresented, misinterpreted, taken out of context and outright false quotes of political leaders on both sides.

Right. The other debate using misrepresented and misinterpreted statements suck as well. "But others do it" = Not a good excuse.

You know good and well what he intended, but would rather not admidt to it.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:20pm

how is that wow you cant not say anything bad about the armed services in this country and not be hated... so wow

I just had a conversation with a friend of mine where this came up.

His theory - there are some things that you are just not allowed to be critical about, not even a little bit.  These include, but are not limited to:

- 9/11 Firefighters

- Rosa Parks

- The US military

His reason for why this is?  He theorizes that there is just enough truth in those criticisms to make us cringe.  Society doesn't like to think that it is disproportionately sending its poor and uneducated off to die, so instead we make unassailable heroes out of them.  Kind of a defense mechanism.

Interesting theory, I think.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicWhic414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 3:23pm
he said he was making a joke at the pres. i dont know if any of you have heard what he said but it doesnt really sound like a joke at the pres. to me... I think he should re-run for pres.
CHUFF CHUFF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic