Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Marker Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

*real pics*Gauss (electromagnetic) pb gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *real pics*Gauss (electromagnetic) pb gun
    Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:25pm
So, I have developed what is probably the first Gaussian Paintball gun.  It is in the early stages, but is coming along quite nicely.  I currently have a mess of wires, two circuit boards I made, a switch assembly, a barrel, and a capacitor bank.  It works, its just in a big mess right now.

This is basically how it works:
  1. Trigger is pulled, power is sent to the timing circuit, triggering it; the bank of 40 capacitors is discharged and charges the shooting coil.
  2. The shooting coil, with 10,000 volts flowing through it creates a great magnetic field.
  3. The magnetic field pulls the magnetic bolt towards it, with the ball in front of the bolt.
  4. The bolt is stopped by the stopper in the rear, the ball continues to shoot out of the barrel.
  5. The timing circuit discharges a bank of 10 capacitors, 2,500 volts, charging the cocking coil, pulling the bolt rearward until it hits the stopper.
  6. Ball is pushed up in front of the bolt.
  7. Capacitors are recharged.

This is basically the simplified process.  It is greatly efficient because it takes 10-15 seconds for the capacitors to recharge (using 2 9v batteries).  Keep in mind this is a high voltage device, 10,000 volts (although low amps) isn't something to play with, I have shocked myself thrice with it, it didn't burn me or hurt me, just a very nasty bite.

I hope to eventually make this into a gun i could take with me to the field, it would be a great new concept.  Here is a diagram of what an assembled (and decluttered) gun will look like.  I can post pictures of my working one later tonight if enough people want it.

Let me label the parts.
  • Green and black blocks are the coils, the two blocks in the front are actually connected (it is a cylinder), same goes for the back.
  • The brown thing is the bolt.
  • The ovals on top of the gun are the capacitors
  • Yellow semicircle is the "charged" light.

Edited by WGP guy2 - 12 March 2007 at 10:17pm
DsXz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 3 strikes 10/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DsXz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:36pm
1 ball every 10 seconds, hmmmm
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by DsXz DsXz wrote:

1 ball every 10 seconds, hmmmm

Right, thats just right now.  I will eventually attempt to make it more efficient (lighter bolt, meaning it needs less power), and maybe even add a second capacitor bank and second charging board, meaning I will be able to shoot 2 balls every 10 seconds :).

The thing isn't meant to be perfect, how do you think the first air pb gun ever made worked?  (I'm talking first, not first production).

Also, I forgot to mention that a big advantage of it is that it makes no noise except for the bolt moving in the barrel.

Edited by WGP guy2 - 12 March 2007 at 6:41pm
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:42pm
Very interesting...
/me wonders how long until this idea is stolen and patented.
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Very interesting...
/me wonders how long until this idea is stolen and patented.

Yea, I thought about that.  I figured someone would have thought about making this type of gun some time before, but I doubt it would sell well.  Gauss and Coil guns are known for being atrociously inefficient, and this type of thing will burn through 2 9vs in probably 500 balls.  I have been thinking about doing the poor man's patent when I draw an actual design.

EDIT:  Also, what parent will let their kids have something that if they screw around with, could put 10,000 volts though them.  I would assume a "Danger, High Voltage" sign would have to be put on it, and since most parents don't know much about electricity they will avoid it.

Edited by WGP guy2 - 12 March 2007 at 6:49pm
johnson1456 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnson1456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:48pm

way to think outside the box.  you would be great at my job fixing electronics on planes

Johnson

x7: flatline, "T" dot scope, folding vertical handle...still in work
lilsully4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilsully4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:53pm

Pretty sick, how far would it shoot though withough breaking the ball from the shock of the bolt?

Originally posted by WGP guy2 WGP guy2 wrote:

(although low amps)

and how many amps does it take to kill you? like 1.9 or something?

WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by lilsully4 lilsully4 wrote:

Pretty sick, how far would it shoot though withough breaking the ball from the shock of the bolt?

(although low amps)

There you go, the one problem I have.  Keeping the ball from breaking from the force of the bolt accelerating.  I think a solution might be found in a soft ended bolt, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Also, like I said, I've been shocked three times by the 10k volts (through my fingers), and I'm not dead.
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:56pm

(although low amps)

100 milliamps will stop your heart.

DsXz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 3 strikes 10/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DsXz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by hybrid-sniper hybrid-sniper wrote:

(although low amps)

100 milliamps will stop your heart.

ive been zapped a few times on 15+20 amp circuits at work numerous times, but yea it only takes a few miliamps to kill you.

i told this 1 guy i was immune to electricity and grabbed the black wire on an outlet n he was like omg!! haha
(nothin will happen as long as your not grounded)

Edited by DsXz - 12 March 2007 at 7:04pm
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 7:06pm
100 milliamps across the heart will kill you, I should say.
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 7:08pm
DsXz, I hope you realize that usually the negative (cathode) has the black wire.  And then I hope you also realize that electrons flow from the negative to the positive.
DsXz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 3 strikes 10/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DsXz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 7:13pm

black = hot, white = neutral in my case, sry, the only time you put power to white is when running a switch leg from the light to the switch when the feed is in the light or 3 way/4way or something similar, and in that case the wire must be recolored

wire a house and tell the inspector you used black as the neutral

Edited by DsXz - 12 March 2007 at 7:28pm
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 7:28pm

Do you know how long it will take for the bolt to reach maximum velosity?  I'd imagine that your initial velocity will be low enough not to break the balls, since you do have them loading directly in front of the bolt.  A soft face would help and work nicely, however.  Also, if you put a groove about 3/4 up the main bolt part - the part where the foward shaft end connects to - you could position the front bolt stop further up requiring a shorter shaft where the rear stopper connects to - less reciprocating(sp.) mass and less power needed.  For clarification - the front stop would be gliding into the front bolt area on its way back, but the grove it fits into would end with about 1/4 of the material left before the ball pushing surface.

WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 10:16pm
So here is a pic I took of my actual device:

Edited by WGP guy2 - 12 March 2007 at 10:17pm
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 10:28pm
How fast have you gotten a ball to go?

How did the Evolt work?

EDIT: Nevermind, the evolt compressed air, then forced it down the barrel. I suppose this would be the first gauss paintball gun.

Edited by Monk - 12 March 2007 at 10:35pm
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 10:30pm

I want to see it working.

So is the bolt basically in the barrel?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 10:35pm
I'd think you'd get pretty nasty recoil with a reciprocating mass being used to bring the ball up to speed rather than a propellant.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 10:37pm
OMG protein stain on the sheet. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I want to see it working.

So is the bolt basically in the barrel?

Yes thats correct.  I will try to get a video of it working tommorow afternoon.

Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

OMG protein stain on the sheet. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Ahem, its from spilling gatorade....

EDIT:  oh, the white stuff, no clue what that is I hadn't noticed it before looking at the pic.

Edited by WGP guy2 - 12 March 2007 at 10:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic